2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 22 of 30)

Oct 302014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was in the parking lot of a kroger when I turned my car on. The "power steering assist fault" light came on and I didn't have any power steering. Turned the car off. Waited about 2 min and started the car again. The "power steering assist fault" light came back on and I still didn't have power steering. I pulled out of my parking spot and managed to drive it about 1/2 mile to my house. I parked the car in my garage over night. Went to start it again on Friday October 31st and the "power steering assist fault" came back on again. I still didn't have power steering. It is sitting in my garage now because I will not risk my life or my families life knowing this car has a power steering issue. Can't afford to pay over $1,500 to have this issue fixed.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Oct 302014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving with my daughter home from doctors appointment when light came on about advance trac and then power steering needs service. The car was driving fine so I thought I would take care of it in the morning since it was going on 5P.M. we stopped at the dollar store one block from my house and when we started the car the power steering notice appeared again. I put the car in gear and noticed that the wheel would not turn easily. I managed to get the car home to my driveway and investigated this problem online. I'm not prepared to pay $$$ for this repair. Ford needs to issue a recall on this and reimburse everyone who has paid out of pocket for this problem. I am now afraid to drive this car.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Oct 282014

Fusion 4-cyl

I had just added air to my tires. I started my car and was pulling out of the station, my power steering shut down as I was pulling out. I shut the car off, restarted and the power steering still did not work. I brought it straight to mossy Ford in missionbay, san diego, California. They told me there was no recall and it would cost $1700 to fix.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 122014

Fusion

I was backing out of my drive and the power steering assist fault light went on and I had no power steering. On October 14,2014 I again was baking out of the drive when the power steering assist fault light went on again. The light remained on and I took the vehicle to my Ford dealer said the steering epas rack and the ce gear assembly needed to be replaced. Luckily this failure happened in my drive and not on the highway.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 222014

Fusion 4-cyl

Pulled in the driveway at which time vehicle lost steering and gave a fault of "power steering assist fault". the had no power steering and rack and pinion had to be replaced. Very unsafe!

- Conway, AR, USA

Oct 262014

Fusion

Check engine light first came on 2 weeks ago and car started pulling hard to the right side, while shaking bad! today as I was driving to dealer doing 50mph my service power steering now and advance trac message came on. Lost complete steering while on highway with babies in car! dealer will not even look at it without getting paid first. I guess they are waiting for us to get hurt in their vehicle before admitting to their fault!

- Elgin, TX, USA

Oct 252014

Fusion

I was traveling down the interstate in the left lane when the car began to alarm and a warning message appeared that stated there was a power steering assist failure and for the vehicle to be serviced. The steering immediately became stiff and it was very difficult to steer the vehicle across three lanes and onto the shoulder. This is a safety hazard. I had two small children in the vehicle and do not feel safe driving this vehicle. After turning the vehicle off and restarting the power steering returns. This was the fourth incident, the first two incidences were while backing out of parking spots, third incident was while traveling down a two lane road at 35 mph. Last incident was the scariest due to the rate of speed at which I was traveling. Dealership says there are no trouble codes and they cannot service a vehicle without a code.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Aug 012014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, the steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the electronic power assist steering needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Pacifica, CA, USA

May 162014

Fusion 4-cyl

I had my daughter and 4 month old grandson with me. We drove 7 miles to town to go to grocery store with no car troubles. Parked and went into store upon returning and starting my vehicle it started dinging at me and I didn't know why until I tried to pull out and had no power steering. At this point I noticed I had 2 messages "service advanctrac" and "power steering assist fault". I looked under the hood for my power steering fluid only to discover that I had none and that the car had electronic power steering. I shut the car off and restarted both messages went away and car ran fine. In July it happened again and this time I was out of state, 5 hrs from home, on the freeway heading home when I had to pull off and shut the car down and restart it then I made it home. In September it happened again and this time my daughter had my car coming home from the grocery store in town with her 8 month old son coming up a hill out of town limits. She shut it down and restarted then made home. Now its October and on Sunday the 26th I drove to town for church with my foster son and the car ran fine. When I left church I started the car and both messages appeared again but shutting off the car would not fix it. I had to drive home with no power steering. My husband disconnected the battery for 1/2 hr and that didn't fix it either. I have been researching and found that this is a problem in the 2010-2012 Ford Fusion and its a costly problem that I cant pay for so now my car has to sit and I have no means of transportation, especially since I live in the country with no public transportation. Please help!!

- Big Springs, WV, USA

Aug 072014

Fusion 6-cyl

Power steering and advance trac went out of vehicle while traveling at approx 50mph almost resulting in severe accident (running off road into ravine on a curve).

- Columbus , MS, USA

Sep 272014

Fusion

I was trying to come home from a weekend trip with my friends. I turned the Fusion on and the power steering and advancetrac were not working. Managed to reset the battery and get home with power steering. Went to Ford and they charged me over $2000 to fix it after it stopped working about 2 weeks after the initial incident.

- Hazlet, NJ, USA

Oct 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Was merging into traffic and suddenly lost power steering, had to manually steer car into safe are. After shutting off and re starting the car several times it finally started working and I was able to continue home. This has happened several times since then and I was told rack and pinion needs to be replaced at around 1500$.

- Taylors, SC, USA

Aug 292014

Fusion 6-cyl

Backing out of my garage, I got just outside the door and went to turn wheel and found that it was locked up, very hard to turn. A warning message came on about steering fault. Owners manual told me to shut car off and turn on again to fix the problem. I immediately took it to dealership where I was told I had to leave it for 3 days and had an $1800 repair to replace the rack & pinion. I now find this is a common problem in these cars upon searching internet. Car is not old enough to warrant such a costly repair and I'm very glad I wasn't on freeway, trying to change lanes. I contacted Ford and was basically told "too bad".

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 302014

Fusion

After a advancetrac steering service warning, the power steering failed coupled with a warning to service power steering. The first incident was on or about June 30th. The Ford dealer replaced the rack and pinion steering system. Subsequently on October 11, 2014 again while driving at low speed, the advancetrac steering system service warning message appeared followed by a loss of power steering and a service power steering warning. The dealer is now indicating that the advancetrac and/or tire pressure sensors may be the cause of the issue. The car is still in the repair shop.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Oct 072013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving 35 mph, the power steering seized as the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Port Hueneme , CA, USA

Oct 102014

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was driving down the road, a message appeared that said to service power steering and advancetrac. I managed to make it home, turned off the car, restarted it, the error message read service power steering now/service advancetrac now. We were traveling about 40mph when the message first appeared and I lost power steering.

- Crown Point, NY, USA

Nov 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

When traveling home from work on November 4th, 2013. Vehicle's advancetrac system failed.this made it difficult to turn car as it made the steering wheel very stiff. This caused an accident when entering a parking lot. I took the vehicle to the dealership and was notified that the vehicle just became "out of warranty" at 75,000 miles. The estimated cost of repair was $1762 having the vehicle without its power steering has also affected my tires. Which needed to be constantly replaced.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 152010

Fusion 6-cyl

I bought this car new. In 2010 I lost power steering, at low speed, several times. I took it to the dealer and they did not fix the car as they couldn't find an issue. On the forth occasion I lost power steering and they decided to replace the power steering rack, which was done under warranty. On 10/11/2014 I again lost power steering, at low speed, and now the power steering rack has to be replaced yet again. The mileage at the time of this failure was approximately 78,380 miles. I understand an investigation has been opened by NHTSA regarding this matter and I would like my information/experiences added. This time it is costing me over $1,800.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Sep 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving from an social event with my young children, they warning system in my Fusion indicated that power steering system required service. As I was attempting to pull into the gas station, the power steering on my vehicle went out. The car became inoperable requiring a significant amount of strength to turn the vehicle. I looked under the hood to check for any visible signs of damage, only to realize they power steering is electric. I waited a few minutes and restarted the car, the light went out and I started my car to drive home. However maybe a few miles from my house, the steering went out again and the car was not able to be easily steered. The warning light now stated that power steering system required service now as well as secondary warning discussing the service of the advancetrac system requiring service too. When I went to Ford they explained that there was an internal rack failure with parts that costs $1500 because if one part fails then the entire system fails. This is ridiculous and extremely dangerous to happen unexpectedly while driving with my children in the car.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Oct 022014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving approximately 70 mph, the service power steering soon and service advance traction now warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that the steering wheel seized and excessive force on the steering wheel was required. The contact merged to the side of the road and shut the vehicle off. The contact restarted the vehicle and attempted to continue to drive but the steering wheel had continuously required excessive force. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic for a diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- South Gate , MI, USA