Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 22 of 26)

Jan 312013

Driving home from work on the expressway at 65 mph when suddenly the service power steering now alert came on. Lost all power steering and had to pull off the expressway. Car had to be towed as steering wheel was locked in position. Ford dealer tells me had complete power steering failure. This is a very dangerous problem and due to the number of complaints filed, I can't believe there has not been a recall on this.

- Clinton, TN, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering completely failed and service power steering now came on the dash warning. Later service advancetrac also came on dash warning. Steering very difficult at slow speeds. Likely too difficult for small person to negotiate a parking lot. Car has electric power steering and entire steering rack must be replaced as the failed sensor is not serviceable from actual rack and pinion. Cost of part Ford part ste27 is $1186.74 plus labor. If part failed in a turn when driver assumes easy steering I could see a problem occurring.

- Glendive, MT, USA

Feb 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

I turned right out of a parking lot onto the highway traveling at 35 mph when the "power steering fault" light came on the steering felt heaver than usual I drove about 7 miles than parked car. When I restarted the car after 2 hours the information panel said "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" and the power assist was off extremely difficult to steer. Could be extremely dangerous if this was to happen in a parking lot with people around.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Jan 242014

Fusion 4-cyl

I have just had this fixed 2 weeks ago for the same problem. January 24, 2013 my power steering and advance trac light came on again. I took it to the mechanics today and they tell me that the tires may need to be replaced and I have even done 60,000 miles on the tires-yet they are worn out already. I knew I needed tires, my inspection is due next month. I have only had this car for 3 years and I am already having problems with it. I'm angry! I thought Ford were better built now-A-days. Wrong............I'm so disappointed with this car. Fairly new and having what I consider major problem.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 262014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving a 35 mph, the power steering system malfunctioned. The contact stated steering wheel was very difficult to control. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Elsmere , KY, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

There was a flat tire on the vehicle causing the eps (electronic power steering) to have a problem. When the tire was aired up, the error on the power steering did not go away. I have read from many online websites and resources that this is a very common problem. Dealerships act like they have never heard about it, but if you type in the year make and model and steering, it pulls many pages of the exact problem. I have been reading reports from these sites and they all say it is something else wrong with it and all the dealerships replace something different just to make money. I have talked to many mechanics that are not associated with Ford and if the code is cleared from the computer, or reset so to speak, the problem is erased but the dealerships don't want to do that because that is how they make money.

- Hot Springs , AR, USA

Dec 112013

2010 Ford Fusion sel V6 entered vehicle for errand. Vehicle started normally, however after short distance power steering almost locked up, info on dash stated service power steering and advance trak systems now. Have replaced power steering rack with new Ford parts. First one lasted four weeks then trouble message on dash activated. Vehicle still drove normally. Upon parking and restarting steering was almost locked up again. Replaced rack second time. Vehicle drove normally for two weeks then system acted as it had before the first rack was replaced. Currently vehicle is steerable for very strong person but average could not steer vehicle. This issue, would without doubt lead to crash and injury were it to occur while on highway.

- Sherman, TX, USA

Dec 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

In the middle of driving approx 25mph, service advancetrac light came on and then off very quickly, thought maybe it was an electrical glitch. Arrived at destination 5 minutes later and shut off car. A half an hour later, went to turn on car and the service advancetrac/service power steering now lights were on. When I tried to drive the car to the nearest gas station, the car would barely move at all let alone turn. Had to put hazards on and continue driving while almost hitting about 5 cars due to no power steering. Extremely dangerous and extremely costly problem. After having this happen to me I have been researching and very many cases of this occurred, I am very shocked that Ford has not issued a recall for the 2010 Fusion.

- Clinton, CT, USA

Jan 172014

Drove to wal-mart at around 5 minutes after driving my steering went out and got a message saying service power steering and advanced track. A friend of mine also owns the same vehicle and he also experienced the same issue.

- St Joseph, MO, USA

Dec 132012

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving out of work one day going approx. 15mph and the advance trac error came up on the dash, I pulled over, turned my car off and on again and seemed a little stiff in the wheel, noting that the service power steering now light popped on.on the dash it showed the slippery symbol the same light you may get on iced roads in the winter time, that never went off. To me it may have been a restart issue, about 50ft down the road the steering went out and 2 hours later it was towed. I went to a dealer and they said it would be a $1700-$2000 repair. I contacted Ford and let them know my circumstances with some help at a different dealer with lower labor and part pricing, I was able to get it fixed. About a week after the repair the same issue and error came up on the dash and the same results with the steering went out, went to the dealer, they saw mud underneath of course because I live on country roads, replaced the part again and said this time Ford will need to see pictures if a third incident like this happens and to make sure a full under body wash is initiated to remove any dirt. Just this week on 1/22/2014, same issue, same results for a third time it started as I was heading into work, I went to the dealer and he tells me that it is an angle sensor in the steering, it was re-calibrated and if it faults again it will need replaced. So I question if the rack and pinion were fine, why did I have that replaced if it was an angle sensor to start out with. Because this issue is reoccurring and I strongly believe that the rack and pinion which were replaced twice in a two week span of eachother, and now it is a sensor that I have never heard of.

- Mantua, OH, USA

Jan 162014

This is the third time my power steering has gone out. The part has been replaced twice. I paid 1600+ dollars and still it malfunctions.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 142014

While traveling on a side road, the dic stated 'service power steering' then ' service advanced trac', shortly after the steering locked up and it displayed 'service power steering now'. luckily I wasn't mid turn or my vehicle would have gone off the road or into on coming traffic. After restarting the vehicle there was no change in the condition. My obd reader displayed codes C1277 and C1963.

- Rutland, MA, USA

Jan 022014

Fusion 6-cyl

While traveling at 45 mph "service power steering" message appeared on my dash and immediately I lost all power steering. I was able to turn into a parking lot and there are no signs of a leak nor is there any indication that the pulley is frozen. My family was with me and if this had happened while making a turn when I wasn't able to anticipate needing to compensate for the lack of power steering, or if my wife was driving, there could have been a serious accident. I believe that after looking at multiple forums and discovering hundreds of similar scenarios that this model vehicle needs to be recalled and have the problem fixed immediately. This is a potentially fatal problem.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Dec 302013

I went to pick up my car from the Ford dealership after dropping it off, again, on Friday, 12/27 to fix the same exact issue I brought it in for the day before. The steering got incredibly stiff and the "service power steering now" light came on as well as the "service advancetrac" light. The first time they replaced the steering rack. Second time they blamed the wiring. I brought the car in today 12/31 but they were closed so I can't wait to see what they are going to try to fix when they open back up on Jan 2nd. I have not been able to drive this car for almost a week now and I wont be able to any time soon I feel.

- Deer Park, NY, USA

Dec 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

First time the power steering quit while driving around town at 25mph. "service powersteering" message came up and the power steering was working again upon turning off the car and restarting it. A few days later the power steering quit and "service steering now" came up along with "advance trac disabled" and now the power steering quit completely. Still have manual steering which wasn't bad on classic cars with huge steering wheels but makes it difficult to drive with the tiny wheel in the Fusion. Quick search on google showed me that I wasn't alone with this issue and than 100's of others have/had the same problem and I'm lucky it didn't happen in a panic situation.

- Eveleth , MN, USA

Dec 232013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving my car 45 mph, I got an error on the dashboard saying, "service power steering now" and "advance track system malfunction". at that moment, my power steering went out and I could hardly steer the car to the side of the road. I could not drive the vehicle because it was impossible to steer. This is a safety hazard and as of this date, there is no recall or "bulletin" on file at the dealership. This could cause a serious accident if someone is not strong enough to handle the car if this happens. I've read many posts about this problem online and a few have caused accidents. I found a mechanic to reset the power steering, but he couldn't fix the problem because the computer needs to be reprogrammed and only a dealer can do this because the codes needed are proprietary and Ford won't give them out. I'm also filing a complaint with Ford on this issue, but don't expect to hear back from them.

- Kents Store, VA, USA

Dec 262013

On Monday 12/23/13 the Fusion showed a low tire pressure message and the steering wheel started to shake slightly when I was driving in the lower speeds. When we started the car up on 12/26/13 and proceeded to take it out of the garage, the power steering was no longer working. I've read that there have been many other Ford Fusion owners that are experiencing the same or similar issues with the Ford Fusion over the past few months.

- Colgate, WI, USA

Dec 222013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on a freeway at 65 miles my right front tire went flat and I lost all power steering function. The "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" warnings appeared. I immediately pulled over and installed the spare. Upon restarting the car the warnings remained and I had no power steering assist at all. It is almost impossible to turn a corner or pull into a parking space. The force needed to turn the steering wheel is unbelievable. Judging by the complaints filed, and the volume of posts on the internet, dating back to 2006, I find it hard to believe that this issue has never been addressed. This is a very serious safety issue which could most certainly result in accidents and potential fatalities.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Dec 222013

Fusion 4-cyl

Upon driving down a busy road, out of no where I lost my power steering, almost colliding into a post, and got a notification that my ESC failed right afterwards. The steering is now really stiff and requires a lot of force to turn. I tried searching the reason why this happens online and found a ton of similar if not the exact same situation as mine. This is unsafe!!

- Deer Park, NY, USA

Dec 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

I just purchased my 2010 Ford Fusion on August 1, 2013. I believed that I was purchasing a great car, however, slowly but surely I am learning that my 2010 Ford Fusion has issues along with a number of other Ford Fusion sold in the states. On Sunday, December 15, 2013, I experienced a flat tire. Luckily, a gas station was literally on the corner, I pulled into the station and filled the flat tire with the appropriate amount of air. I got back in my car, started it and proceeded to back out, my multi-function display begin to flash "service power steering now", "advance trac", I had no idea what this meant until I began to turn the steering wheel.... it was extremely difficult to do so. However, I had no choice but to try and steer it. I made it back home safely and accident free running to the computer to research this since the Ford dealership was closed. I "googled" power steering failure on 2010 Ford Fusion and there appeared a number of complaints from Fusion owners. I thought that maybe this was a good thing... perhaps there was a recall on my vehicle and this would be a quick fix or repair by a Ford service department. I contacted the Ford service department to inquire about this issue and to see if there's a recall and a representative confirmed that there is absolutely no recall on my vehicle. I grew increasingly frustrated because after reading all the complaints I couldn't fathom how no one had researched this issue and deemed it a repair/recall that Ford should take care of. I am now subject to a $116 diagnostic charge by the Ford service department although the car is already stating what the issue is, and I will still have to come out of pocket for the repair, god only knows how much that'll be. I surely hope that someone can add some insight to this issue and hazard.

- Waldorf, MD, USA