2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 23 of 29)

Aug 022014

Fusion 6-cyl

Complete loss of power steering. Not safe!

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Jul 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

Received "power steering assist failure" intermittent warings last month (June) when starting car. Took car to dealership, diagnostics /troubleshooting failed to identify problem. Problem was consistently cleared by turning off engine and restarting. On 28 July, power steering was lost completely during engine start and successive restarts failed to clear the "power steering assist failure" fault. Also received "service advance trac" warning. Car was towed to dealership. Diagnostics determined the electronic steering rack needed to be replaced. Repair estimate is $2000! had car for less than three years and car only had 78,000 on it. (Ford certified pre-owned model.) very disappointed with this car. Worst Ford car I've owned. Cursory web searches on this power steering problem reveals a myriad of occurrences for the 2010 Fusion. This sudden loss of power steering represents a serious safety issue. It's just a matter of time before this results in fatalities. NHTSA website currently indicates 120 complaints regarding the power steering failure on the 2010 Ford Fusion (more than 10% of all the complaints against the car). Why hasn't there been a recall or tsb issued for this problem? Ford experienced a similar problem with the electronic power steering in the escape and recalled over 1 million cars in May.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving to work, on a straight stretch of road at about 25 miles an hour, when a "service advanctrac" warning light came on, as well as a power steering fault. I lost power steering at that point. Luckily I was able to pull over into a parking lot, and then I drove home with my hazard lights on. The car was out of warranty so we took it to a local shop, who looked at the codes and the car and diagnosed it as a faulty rack and pinion. They replaced that (at a cost of $1500) and the power steering now works again, but I am not comfortable driving it any longer. What if this happens again while I am turning or merging onto a freeway? scary, scary thought. This needs to be addressed by Ford and a recall made.

- Commerce, MI, USA

May 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on a state road at a rate of approximately 55 mph, as I was slowing down to enter an exit the power steering failed and I almost crashed into the cement barrier as the steering wheel locked up and was extremely difficult to turn.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Jul 212014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering suddenly failed with no prior warning while in reverse. Electronic power steering rack failed after only 80K miles on car. Purchased new from Ford dealer. 2nd major issue with this car. The first was the electronic throttle body. This year and model have so many issues. Just a quick google search will tell you that.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Jun 052014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the power steering assist warning light illuminated and lost power steering. The vehicle was able to restart an hour later and resumed to normal. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred on three different occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 52,800.

- Varnville, SC, USA

Jul 112014

Fusion

I was driving on a major road when the power steering maintenance light came on followed by the ad track maintenance alert. I pulled into a gas station and turned off the car for about 3 min. When I turned the car back on the light changed to power steering maintenance now and I no longer had any power steering. I was not able to to drive my car so my husband had to pick me up and drive it home. I read that there are many problems with this system, but I never received a notice for recall.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Jul 022014

Fusion

On the home I was turning onto my neighborhood street, and at a sudden it became difficult to turn. I had to force my steering wheel to the right and come to a dramatic stop to keep from going into the house on the corner. This is an on going problem and I have called the dealership to complain and was told to bring the car in, but because I don't have that $100 fee for them to diagnose my vehicle I had no choice but to turn away. My steering wheel has lost power countless of times and my life is in danger. This is my only means of transportation and I cant afford to purchase another vehicle at the time....please please!!!! help I don't want to die or be seriously hurt!!

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 182014

Fusion 6-cyl

The steering issue on the car happened only two weeks after I purchased the vehicle. Car became very difficult to steer, thought perhaps for some reason there was no fluid in it. Cam to learn that this car does not use a power steering pump, rather it has an electric motor that assists the steering. After doing some searches, I found out that several people have had this issue. Contacted the dealer and was told to bring it in to have it checked out, came to learn that the power steering rack had to be replaced to the cost of 1500.00... I am beside myself as I just bought the car!!! this is a recall item, based on all the reports of people having this same issue, Ford needs to step up to the plate here and realize they have a problem and bad design to get these components replaced out on these cars before someone seriously gets injured. The car is almost impossible to steer when this goes out and if someone like an older person or younger inexperienced driver runs into this situation the problem is going to cause serious injury... the failure happens without any indications. Ford recall the part and fix these cars!!!

- Geneva, IL, USA

Jun 212014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving 45mph then suddenly my steering wheel started going all over car lost control and steering was uncontrollable and really hard. I had to drive really slow to get back home.

- Edinburg , TX, USA

Jun 182014

Fusion

While driving at approximately 25 mph, I lost steering. I received a dash warning that I have a power steering assist issue and it needs to be serviced. I luckily made it to the side of the road, turned the engine off and back on and I appeared to have my steering back. I drove home and my husband followed me to the dealership. The dealership looked at it, pulled some codes but they couldn't duplicate the problem. I was told that if it happened again, I would need to "manhandle it" to get it to the side of the road and bring it back to the dealership. I have had the same issue twice today, June 21, 2014. It is as though my steering wheel is locked; it is very difficult to manhandle a locked steering wheel. We researched Ford Fusion issues and this steering issue seems to be quite common. Steering is pretty important: Please investigate this issue before someone gets hurt, or worse.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

May 302014

Fusion

I bought my 2010 Ford Fusion sel V6 with 12000 miles and drive it daily 120 miles/day to work. It has 106,000 miles now. Last week, for the third time, the "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" indicators flashed on while driving 70 mph at night, using cruise control. Arrived home safely, next morning, no power steering. Drove car to Ford dealership, who hooked it up to diagnostic machine, and cleared messages, power steering now functioning again. The second time this occurred the dealership looked at something to do with the wheel on the passenger side. I have not used cruise control with this car since the second episode, nearly a year ago. Last week, when the third failure occurred, my friend was driving the car and had activated the cruise control, and I had warned him that I believed there was some relationship factor with using cruise control and the loss of power steering. I drive quite roughly, aggressively, and have hit many bumps with no loss of power steering. During the first and second occurrence the cruise control was activated, a rough spot was encountered, and the "service power steering now -advancetrac" messages came on, with consequential loss of power steering. No mechanical work seems to matter, only effective action is clearing the messages and reestablishing power steering by hooking up to diagnostic machine. I believe it is a software glitch maybe involving a sensor. I am not a mechanic. Will the recall/replacement of throttle assembly solve this problem?? Ford needs to step up and respond to this problem.

- Gillespie, IL, USA

Dec 142013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down the road at 30mph when suddenly it felt like I lost the brakes for a moment. I was in the middle of turning and I felt the steering wheel lock up and I could barely stop the car. I have since figured out that the ABS is not working and because of this the power steering is not working. This could have been a very dangerous situation at a higher rate of speed. I am thankful I was not going any faster when this happened.

- Denison, TX, USA

Apr 092014

Fusion 4-cyl

Car has heavy vibration during highway driving. Car has been in for service twice in thirty days with a four wheel alignment and tires being rebalanced, brakes have also been check. Vibration still there 1000 miles later. Looking for some answers before concrete wall is coming at me at 65 mph!

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Apr 242014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was going around a turn and my steering wheel locked up and I could not turn my wheel right or left. Luckily I was near a parking lot where I drifted into and called aaa. My car had to get towed and was not drivable. I had no prior warnings before my steering wheel locked up.

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Apr 242014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was going around a turn and my steering wheel locked up and I could not turn it left or right. I luckily was near a parking lot where I drifted into and call aaa. My car had to get towed. Was not drivable. I had no prior warnings before my steering wheel locked up.

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Mar 262014

Fusion 6-cyl

On starting the car, the steering column was locked up and would not turn. Towed to Ford dealership, they assessed that the whole steering column had to be replaced. Cost me $2000. This is a common problem and I am surprised that Ford has not issued a recall.

- Solon, OH, USA

Apr 092014

Fusion 4-cyl

2010 Ford Fusion SE 2.6L drove vehicle to restaurant for dinner. When we came out after approx 1 1/2 hours started car, within 30 seconds "power steering assist failure" light came on and there was no power steering. Put car in reverse, tried to drive but was so unbelievably tight, could almost not turn at all. Put car back in park and turned engine off. Waited approx 20 seconds and restarted car. "power steering assist failure" light came immediately back on. Drove across parking lot to gas station to purchase power steering fluid and found out that my vehicle does not have power steering fluid...it's electrical. While the engine was off at the gas station evidently the system reset itself because when we restarted the car it was fine. - I had my family..2 small kids and husband in the car..this was very frightening...after doing all the research tonight about this failure...I'm honestly very frightened to drive it anymore. I have many future doctor appointments about 2 1/2 hour drive from my house coming up for surgery...and I'm seriously questioning Ford's thinking on not recalling the vehicles for this problem.

- Troy, MI, USA

Apr 022014

Fusion

I run a livery business and luckily there were no clients in the vehicle when the power steering just stopped working. I brought the vehicle directly to my mechanic and hooked it up to the computer, although the service advance trac and power steering service now warning lights are on, his computer is not pulling codes or finding any problems" I then went to the dealership and explained the problem to them and they are saying I am going to have to replace the entire steering rack although I have read there is no guarantee this will actually rectify the problem. When researching this online I am amazed at the amount of complaints I have found. Why has there not been a recall on this yet? luckily there have been no serious injuries or deaths due to this existing problem. What is it going to take Ford to resolve this" maybe there should be a class action lawsuit filed just like the unintended acceleration lawsuit. I am very disgusted. I am now losing money as I can not run my business with no vehicle.

- Whitinsville, MA, USA

Oct 222013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving vehicle at various speeds from 25 mph to highway speeds of 55 mph, electric power steering periodically and suddenly cuts out, making steering difficult especially due to the suddenness and unexpectedness of these incidents. Incidents seem to occur when riding over a bump in the road and are typically noticed most frequently on highway on/off ramps.

- Havertown, PA, USA