2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 25 of 29)

Jan 172014

Fusion

Drove to wal-mart at around 5 minutes after driving my steering went out and got a message saying service power steering and advanced track. A friend of mine also owns the same vehicle and he also experienced the same issue.

- St Joseph, MO, USA

Dec 132012

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving out of work one day going approx. 15mph and the advance trac error came up on the dash, I pulled over, turned my car off and on again and seemed a little stiff in the wheel, noting that the service power steering now light popped on.on the dash it showed the slippery symbol the same light you may get on iced roads in the winter time, that never went off. To me it may have been a restart issue, about 50ft down the road the steering went out and 2 hours later it was towed. I went to a dealer and they said it would be a $1700-$2000 repair. I contacted Ford and let them know my circumstances with some help at a different dealer with lower labor and part pricing, I was able to get it fixed. About a week after the repair the same issue and error came up on the dash and the same results with the steering went out, went to the dealer, they saw mud underneath of course because I live on country roads, replaced the part again and said this time Ford will need to see pictures if a third incident like this happens and to make sure a full under body wash is initiated to remove any dirt. Just this week on 1/22/2014, same issue, same results for a third time it started as I was heading into work, I went to the dealer and he tells me that it is an angle sensor in the steering, it was re-calibrated and if it faults again it will need replaced. So I question if the rack and pinion were fine, why did I have that replaced if it was an angle sensor to start out with. Because this issue is reoccurring and I strongly believe that the rack and pinion which were replaced twice in a two week span of eachother, and now it is a sensor that I have never heard of.

- Mantua, OH, USA

Jan 162014

Fusion

This is the third time my power steering has gone out. The part has been replaced twice. I paid 1600+ dollars and still it malfunctions.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 142014

Fusion

While traveling on a side road, the dic stated 'service power steering' then ' service advanced trac', shortly after the steering locked up and it displayed 'service power steering now'. luckily I wasn't mid turn or my vehicle would have gone off the road or into on coming traffic. After restarting the vehicle there was no change in the condition. My obd reader displayed codes C1277 and C1963.

- Rutland, MA, USA

Jan 022014

Fusion 6-cyl

While traveling at 45 mph "service power steering" message appeared on my dash and immediately I lost all power steering. I was able to turn into a parking lot and there are no signs of a leak nor is there any indication that the pulley is frozen. My family was with me and if this had happened while making a turn when I wasn't able to anticipate needing to compensate for the lack of power steering, or if my wife was driving, there could have been a serious accident. I believe that after looking at multiple forums and discovering hundreds of similar scenarios that this model vehicle needs to be recalled and have the problem fixed immediately. This is a potentially fatal problem.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Dec 302013

Fusion

I went to pick up my car from the Ford dealership after dropping it off, again, on Friday, 12/27 to fix the same exact issue I brought it in for the day before. The steering got incredibly stiff and the "service power steering now" light came on as well as the "service advancetrac" light. The first time they replaced the steering rack. Second time they blamed the wiring. I brought the car in today 12/31 but they were closed so I can't wait to see what they are going to try to fix when they open back up on Jan 2nd. I have not been able to drive this car for almost a week now and I wont be able to any time soon I feel.

- Deer Park, NY, USA

Dec 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

First time the power steering quit while driving around town at 25mph. "service powersteering" message came up and the power steering was working again upon turning off the car and restarting it. A few days later the power steering quit and "service steering now" came up along with "advance trac disabled" and now the power steering quit completely. Still have manual steering which wasn't bad on classic cars with huge steering wheels but makes it difficult to drive with the tiny wheel in the Fusion. Quick search on google showed me that I wasn't alone with this issue and than 100's of others have/had the same problem and I'm lucky it didn't happen in a panic situation.

- Eveleth , MN, USA

Dec 232013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving my car 45 mph, I got an error on the dashboard saying, "service power steering now" and "advance track system malfunction". at that moment, my power steering went out and I could hardly steer the car to the side of the road. I could not drive the vehicle because it was impossible to steer. This is a safety hazard and as of this date, there is no recall or "bulletin" on file at the dealership. This could cause a serious accident if someone is not strong enough to handle the car if this happens. I've read many posts about this problem online and a few have caused accidents. I found a mechanic to reset the power steering, but he couldn't fix the problem because the computer needs to be reprogrammed and only a dealer can do this because the codes needed are proprietary and Ford won't give them out. I'm also filing a complaint with Ford on this issue, but don't expect to hear back from them.

- Kents Store, VA, USA

Dec 262013

Fusion

On Monday 12/23/13 the Fusion showed a low tire pressure message and the steering wheel started to shake slightly when I was driving in the lower speeds. When we started the car up on 12/26/13 and proceeded to take it out of the garage, the power steering was no longer working. I've read that there have been many other Ford Fusion owners that are experiencing the same or similar issues with the Ford Fusion over the past few months.

- Colgate, WI, USA

Dec 222013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on a freeway at 65 miles my right front tire went flat and I lost all power steering function. The "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" warnings appeared. I immediately pulled over and installed the spare. Upon restarting the car the warnings remained and I had no power steering assist at all. It is almost impossible to turn a corner or pull into a parking space. The force needed to turn the steering wheel is unbelievable. Judging by the complaints filed, and the volume of posts on the internet, dating back to 2006, I find it hard to believe that this issue has never been addressed. This is a very serious safety issue which could most certainly result in accidents and potential fatalities.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Dec 222013

Fusion 4-cyl

Upon driving down a busy road, out of no where I lost my power steering, almost colliding into a post, and got a notification that my ESC failed right afterwards. The steering is now really stiff and requires a lot of force to turn. I tried searching the reason why this happens online and found a ton of similar if not the exact same situation as mine. This is unsafe!!

- Deer Park, NY, USA

Dec 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

I just purchased my 2010 Ford Fusion on August 1, 2013. I believed that I was purchasing a great car, however, slowly but surely I am learning that my 2010 Ford Fusion has issues along with a number of other Ford Fusion sold in the states. On Sunday, December 15, 2013, I experienced a flat tire. Luckily, a gas station was literally on the corner, I pulled into the station and filled the flat tire with the appropriate amount of air. I got back in my car, started it and proceeded to back out, my multi-function display begin to flash "service power steering now", "advance trac", I had no idea what this meant until I began to turn the steering wheel.... it was extremely difficult to do so. However, I had no choice but to try and steer it. I made it back home safely and accident free running to the computer to research this since the Ford dealership was closed. I "googled" power steering failure on 2010 Ford Fusion and there appeared a number of complaints from Fusion owners. I thought that maybe this was a good thing... perhaps there was a recall on my vehicle and this would be a quick fix or repair by a Ford service department. I contacted the Ford service department to inquire about this issue and to see if there's a recall and a representative confirmed that there is absolutely no recall on my vehicle. I grew increasingly frustrated because after reading all the complaints I couldn't fathom how no one had researched this issue and deemed it a repair/recall that Ford should take care of. I am now subject to a $116 diagnostic charge by the Ford service department although the car is already stating what the issue is, and I will still have to come out of pocket for the repair, god only knows how much that'll be. I surely hope that someone can add some insight to this issue and hazard.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Dec 132013

Fusion 4-cyl

The service power steering and service advancetrac warning lights appeared and suddenly the power steering was lost. My daughter was driving the vehicle at the time and could not control the steering. This created a sudden emergency and dangerous situation. I've noted several complaints about this in researching solution to problem, most suggest several thousand $$ for repairs.

- Leakesville, MS, USA

Dec 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

After getting gas my wife and I pulled out into traffic and mid turn the power steering went out. No warning stuck right in the lane of on coming traffic.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 092013

Fusion

Power steering failure while driving. Ford advanctrak AWD failure. Total loss of stability/traction control, ABS, and steering.

- Clarkston, WA, USA

Dec 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 126,459.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Nov 192013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated he was driving 55 mph when the power steering assist malfunctioned. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was informed that the electronic power steering gear needed to be replaced. The contact stated the defect was not remedied. The contact called the manufacturer and was informed that the vehicle was not recalled. The vehicle mileage was 43,850.

- Spencer, WV, USA

Nov 112013

Fusion

Steering dash light came on. When the vehicle was shut off the power steering assist was not working on re-start. The steering gear box was replaced and the problem happened again. The car is showing codes for transmission and anti-lock brake components. When the codes are cleared the steering is ok for a while.

- Wayland, NY, USA

Nov 092013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving at approximately 40mph when a "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" message came up. At this point, it became difficult to steer. I then parked my vehicle, turned the car off, and back on. The message was still there. I took it to the dealership and they mentioned the power steering rack needed to be replaced. The cost (parts and labor) is $1,830.73. This an absurd cost that I have to incur because I noticed many people have experienced something familiar. In many cases, it seems as though the service message went away when the car was restarted making it seem like a sensor issue; however, in my case, I'm being told that the rack needs to be replaced.

- Canton, MI, USA

Nov 082013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 70 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the vehicle became extremely difficult to steer. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was found that the steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 76,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Fort Brag, NC, USA