2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 4 of 30)

Oct 122016

Fusion 6-cyl

The electric power steering on the vehicle went completely out while driving the vehicle after the indicator light warning to service soon came on. This happened on a major roadway where the speed limit is posted at 55 miles per hour while the vehicle was in motion. During the turn is when it became more evident that it had already gone out, as the turn is narrow and it almost caused an accident with the car in the lane close to the direction I was going in.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

Oct 162016

Fusion 4-cyl

The power steering assist fault indicator will not reset. Loss of power steering. How can Ford have a recall for the 2011 and 2012 Fusion but not the 2010? this is very dangerous when you lose power steering while your driving.

- Canton, GA, USA

Oct 152016

Fusion

Every since I have owned the car the power steering assist fault will go out randomly. I had a Ford dealership check it and they couldn't find anything after they hooked it up. The other places either. This time it went out on the road which was dangerous. I am very frustrated there is no recall on my year when this is obviously a Ford problem. Looking online there are tons of complaints.

- Russell, KS, USA

Oct 112016

Fusion

I have been experiencing issues with my power steering assist in my vehicle. The steering wheel automatically locks while either trying to drive (stationary) and while driving (in motion) the vehicle. The Ford company has not released a recall for this issue, however there is a class action lawsuit for this very issue with motorists owning the same make and model vehicle who are experiencing the electric power wheel assist issue. I have found other sites where motorists have explained the same issue of the steering wheel locking/not working during the time of someone driving, turning the wheel, or simply preparing to drive the vehicle. I am expressing my deep concern for national safety as many americans have purchased this vehicle and are driving on the roads! I pray this recall can occur before someone may experience a fatality leading to death. I have uploaded a picture of my very own vehicle experiencing the power steering assist fault.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 122016

Fusion

Service power steering now warning light resulting in no power steering. Yesterday morning when we started our car to drive me to work, the service advancetrac and service power steering warnings flashed and stayed on the dash. It was driving ok when we left our house to stop for gas. Upon turning rhe car back on the warning changed to service power steering now and we had no power steering. My husband was able ro get me to work and back home which was a major struggle and now the car is sitting in front of our house. Mileage is right around 78000 or so and just had service last week of August.

- Old Forge, PA, USA

Oct 092016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 35 mph, the power steering seized and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle restarted after one attempt. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 184,500.

- Uniontown, PA, USA

May 102015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 40 mph, the power steering failed. The vehicle was driven to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Aug 232016

Fusion

While driving down the interstate, I experienced a sudden loss of power steering followed by the power steering/advance trac failure light appearing on the dash. I carefully pulled over and had my car towed to the service department. Ford determined I needed to replace the pscm R&R steering gear at a cost of $1919.63

- Paducah, KY, USA

Sep 162016

Fusion

Power steering system fault message came on when starting the car. Restarted the vehicle but message remained. Drove home 45 miles without power steering. Next time I started the vehicle power steering was fine. Stopped at Ford dealer and they stated that nothing could be done if message was being displayed. Message again appeared approximately two weeks later but went off when vehicle was restarted. Took the vehicle to another Ford dealer and described the problem (October 5, 2016). Their diagnostic indicated that the power steering gear assembly needed to be replaced. This appears to be the same part that was recalled on 2011-2013 Ford Fusion. The part has been replaced at a cost of approximately $1,800.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Oct 102016

Fusion

Steering assist fault. No power steering. Was on and off, now just no power steering at all.

- Whittier, NC, USA

Sep 212016

Fusion

Driving home from work my steering asst fault light came on at the stop light and the car became difficult to drive fought the car home. Days later got to the dealership to tell me the power steering gear need to replaced to the tune of 1800. To no fault of my own. The recall only included 2011-2013 when my car is doing the exact same thing noted in the other recalls

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Sep 062016

Fusion

My daughter's 2010 Ford Fusion power steering went out while she was driving it. She didn't crash the car but it made it hard to turn. He low tire indicator light came on and then all of a sudden the power steering just went out. We got the tire pressure back but now the power steering won't work. We had one mechanic look at the car but he says it's the steering rack and those cars are known for this issue. I've researched this and see there has been lots of complaints with the same issue and think Ford needs to issue a recall before someone gets hurt bad or killed. I also own a 2012 Ford Fusion and the fuel pump went out in it and I have seen that this is a issue with this year. The cost of that repair was $555 and the steering rack can range from $1200 to $1600 and if Ford doesn't do anything about either issue then I will not buy another Ford vehicle again.

- Bristol, TN, USA

Jul 272016

Fusion

Power steering failed and power steering assist fault displayed on dash. Restarted car and power steering worked ok. I took the car to the dealer on 07/28/09 to have it checked out and they could not duplicate the problem. They told me that there was a recall for this problem on later models but not on the 2010. The same thing happened yesterday 10.07/16. I am concerned that this could happen at high speed and cause a major accident.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 152016

Fusion

On may14th the check steering warning message came on. The following day the power assist on the steering was not working. I was able to drive the car slowly to the dealer. They had to replace the steering gear. There was 112, 000 miles on the car when the failure occurred.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Aug 292016

Fusion

When back up from parking spot and garage, the steering wheel was locked. "power steering assist fault" message showed on the dash. Happened several times during the week, sent the car to dealer to check. But, the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. The dealer's action was reset the software code. It happened again during the weekend. The car was sent back to the dealer. The whole steering gear was replaced and cost $1670.

- Troy, MI, USA

Oct 042016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 35 mph down an incline, the service power steering message illuminated. The power steering suddenly failed and caused the steering wheel to lock in the neutral position. As a result, the steering wheel would not turn in either direction. After turning off and restarting the engine, the steering wheel could be turned in either direction, but the power assist would not operate and made the steering wheel very difficult to turn. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Springville, AL, USA

Oct 012016

Fusion

We bought this car 6-7 months ago for our daughter in college. About one month ago, as she was leaving home, her car would not steer and she received a warning light that said " power steering assist fault". she put the car in park and turned it off and back on again and the warning was gone and the car operated properly. This past Saturday while out of town, she again started the car and received the " power steering assist fault" warning only this time, no matter what she tried it would not clear. She even called a mechanic who tried disconnecting the battery, but nothing worked. She drove the car home 2 hours away with no power steering! we have found out after purchasing this car that it is a problem for many 2010-2012 Fusion owners. The 2011-2012 were recalled, but not the 2010 for the exact same problem. I will be paying our local Ford dealer $1368 Friday for this repair. Money I surely don't have lying around. We researched this car before we bought it and found only positive reviews...until this happened and we researched this "power steering assist fault" code and then our computer blew up with one complaint after another. Clearly the 2010 needs to be added to this recall.

- Steens, MS, USA

Sep 122016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving on the highway, the power steering failed, the warning indicators illuminated, and a power steering assist message displayed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that a component related to the power steering failed. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Sep 012015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While turning the vehicle, the steering wheel became difficult to control. The power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering failed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 123,000.

- Leadville, CO, USA

Sep 102016

Fusion

Power steering quit working got message that said power steering assist fault, im 225 and could not turn wheel at all. Shut off car let sit for a short time started back up every thing worked as it should, ive had this happen 3 times hope it dont happen when going at high speed

- Lebanon, MO, USA