Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 4 of 27)

Jun 222016

Two years later I was stopped at a 3 way stop making a left hand turn at a middle school football field. As I was making my turn my car would not make the turn. My car went straight and luckily there was no one there. The ground was level or my car would have been damaged. I had no steering or brakes and I thought my car had went dead. When I tried to restart the car I realized my car was running and bells were chiming along with advance trac power steering failure. I had no warning whatsoever. This was in April 2015. Almost $2000 dollars to repair. Guess what happens 1 year later while I am driving down the road. There are state prisoners slowing traffic when my power steering goes out again with no warning whatsoever. When I called the dealership that did the repair I was told there was a warrnaty on parts but I would have to pay labor. After contacting Ford I was told that parts and labor were both covered. I will take it to another dealership to get the repair. When I think about driving cross country with our 3 grandchildren and think about this happening on the curvy mountain roads it terrifies me. I am disgusted with Ford. They should have a recall on this year model car just like they did the other years. I am tired of having this car in the shop with all the major repairs. I do have repair records they are not with me at the moment.

- Bremen, GA, USA

Jun 242016

Power steering on the car went out all of a sudden and the wheel could not be turned at all. A warning saying service advancetrac came on. This almost caused an accident!

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jun 182016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 20 mph and making a left turn, the steering wheel completely seized. As a result, the contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a concrete edge. The passenger side door air bags deployed. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,873.

- Cyprus, TX, USA

Jun 162016

Luckily I was in a parking lot preparing to leave instead of on the road like some of the people I've read about. I put the car in reverse and couldn't turn the wheel without great effort. I had to strain to get the car home. Why isn't this part of the recall" it's absolutely ridiculous that Ford can sell cars they know are defective. I can in no way afford the $1000+ it'll cost to fix a mistake they already knew was there. Ford is horrific. Is there any wonder why people buy imports"

- South Pasadena, CA, USA

Jun 082016

The low tire pressure light came on and the my service power steering light came on when I was driving down a road went to make a turn and it became hard to turn my vehicle......took it to the Ford garage and they said it gave them like 4 or 5 codes

- Corry, PA, USA

May 012016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed and the power steering assist failed to engage, which made the steering wheel difficult to turn. The dealer was unable to perform a diagnostic because the failure was intermittent. The steering wheel normally returned to normal on its own after a few minutes. There was no warning indicator illuminated when the failure occurred. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Jun 052016

Service light went on for the steering wheel while I was driving on the road lost all steering power. Luckily I was in the middle of driving in my drive way!

- Manteca, CA, USA

Mar 042014

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while in reverse, the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred five times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician could not determine the failure. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle was taken back to the dealer a fifth time and was diagnosed that the internal failure of the epas rack and pinion assembly failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,590. Updated 07/12/16 updated 08/02/16.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Apr 102016

Power steering went out while driving did not cause accident however I was lucky I was able to get car pulled over as it basicaaly had no steernig. My grandfather was able to get car home but I had to borrow his car to get to work as I am a federal postal worker. I have repair bills of $1800+

- Urbandale, IA, USA

Mar 012016

When making turns the power steering goes out and "power steer assist fault" comes up in the message center. I can turn the car off and back on again and it usually resets itself but always occurs again. This has happened over 20 times and is very dangerous as power steering is lost.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 032016

The power steering failed many times rendering my car undeliverable. After researching, I found that there is a pending class action (philips V. Ford Motor Co.) involving the same issue and the 2010 - 2014 model year. The car is out of warranty; however, it was discovered that Ford knew of the defect prior to the 2010 model year going into production. The repairs have coat me approx. $1,600 and the car has been in and out of the repair shop for the same issue. I asked Ford to reimburse me for the repairs. They denies my claim. Please assist me in obtaining reimbursement for this known defect.

- Norco, CA, USA

May 202016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 5 mph, the electric power steering malfunctioned and the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact had to apply a significant amount of pressure to the steering wheel in order to properly steer the vehicle. The contact depressed the brake pedal and the steering returned to normal. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 124,000.

- Plant City, FL, USA

May 212016

Power steering fault appeared on dashboard while driving and steering became hard to control. Turned ignition switch off and restarted power steering was working again. Carried car in for service I was told everything was normal. Now it's happened 4 or 5 times. Being that it's out of warranty now its out again.

- Tuscumbia, AL, USA

Mar 082016

This is my husbands car, the power steering message came on the dashboard and he lost control of the car while he was driving on a winding road. He was able to drive it back home, but has not had any power steering since. We took our car to the Ford dealership where we had purchased it from. They said that our car needed a new epas rack. We were quoted at $1,600 to replace. We have not been able to use the vehicle since this had happened.

- Jeannette, PA, USA

Mar 142016

I was turning left at a major intersection and all of sudden I lost power steering. On my message screen the words popped up "service power steering now" then another message popped up regarding traction control. I almost collided with another vehicle. I was able to muscle the car to the right and avoid the collision. If my wife was driving, she would have hit the other vehicle. This is very much a safety issue. When I heard the repair costs to get it fixed, I cannot afford to have it fixed and now I am making payments on a vehicle I cannot drive due to this safety issue.

- Rootstown, OH, USA

May 072016

Daughters car had power steering failure. Came home from work, changed and was leaving, started car and check power steering assist fault came on and no power steering. After checking web sites, NHTSA and seeing 100S of complaints, called Ford, no help, please have dealer fix and pay him if its added to the recall, we will reimburse you! need you to have dealer fix, so its added to our warranty data!.. news flash, I called you as 100S of others add it to your data. 9K on my Super Duty last month, know 1500-2000, no more Ford for me buy buy Ford> hello Chevy

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

May 072016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 40 mph, the steering wheel seized and the tire pressure warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 149,000.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

May 032016

The power steering suddenly went out without warning with message to service power steering now on dashboard making car impossible to steer.I was driving through a residential street when it happened. The car has the electronic power assisted steering.

- Oak Park, MI, USA

Apr 132016

As I pulled out of a gas station (turning right), the 'service advance trac and power steering' warning came on. I was able to make it home, with extreme difficulty. Unable to turn the wheel, I did almost hit another vehicle as it went out while driving. The next morning, steering was completely gone, I couldn't even move it an inch, and had to be towed to a mechanic. After two days of diagnostics and trying to figure out what was going on, the mechanic was not able to figure out what was wrong and simply reset the computer. He said it now is a matter of waiting to see if that happens again, and if it does, he would suggest a new rack and pinion.

- West Allis, WI, USA

Apr 102016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the steering wheel was becoming extremely tight and the power steering failed to work. The power steering warning light illuminated. In addition, the steering wheel would not turn left or right. The contact had to turn the vehicle off and restart it each time the failure continued. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA