2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 7 of 30)

Feb 162016

Fusion

I was driving on interstate 77 South just before edens fork exit, charleston wv 25312. The road was downhill and curved to the left. Without any sign of trouble the steering wheel jerked to the right I had temporarily lost control of vehicle which made the car swerve off road and headed toward concrete drainage ditch and off interstate into the woods. I was lucky I got both hands on steering wheel and having lost the power steering was driving manually so to speak was able to get car turned partially sideways and slid in the gravel into the concrete drainage ditch which was well enough beveled to allow me to slowly slide into the ditch, where my car came to a stop. I was traveling in the right cruising lane so nothing was to my right. Had I been in the passing lane and passing traffic I would have ended up causing an accident, no doubt in my mind. I have found out that there has been a recall of the 2011-12 Ford Fusion because of the failure of the electric motor that were placed into those Fusion to power assist the steering. I have since learned that some if not all of the 2010 Ford Fusion have the same steering mechanism as the 2011 and 2012 Ford Fusion. I do know that if you order the complete rack and pinion unit for 2010 Ford Fusion it is the same replacement as the 2011 and 2012 uses. So I would like to file my own complaint about my experience with the power assist steering mechanism on my 2010 Ford Fusion. I think the 2010 Ford Fusion should included on the recall. I could have very easily been involved in a serious single or multiple car accident. I am old enough to have driven vehicles that didn't have power steering and that helped me also in avoiding an accident. I was driving my daughters 2010 Ford Fusion when it happened. I am not sure if she could have avoided an accident if she had been driving it.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Jul 102016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While operating the vehicle, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. In addition, the service power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the cause of the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,669. The VIN was not provided.

- Yazoo, MS, USA

Jul 112016

Fusion

Was driving car and power steering just quit working this is very dangerous!!!!. had to have car towed.

- Marlbrough, MA, USA

Jun 102016

Fusion

Power steering assist fault appeared on dash and then car lost power steering.

- Dyess, AR, USA

May 012013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While operating the vehicle at various speeds, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering gear assembly was faulty. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The steering gear assembly was replaced a second time in August of 2014, but the failure recurred in July of 2016. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Harper Wood, MI, USA

Jul 052016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While turning the vehicle, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering assist motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Bolivia, NC, USA

Jun 222016

Fusion

Two years later I was stopped at a 3 way stop making a left hand turn at a middle school football field. As I was making my turn my car would not make the turn. My car went straight and luckily there was no one there. The ground was level or my car would have been damaged. I had no steering or brakes and I thought my car had went dead. When I tried to restart the car I realized my car was running and bells were chiming along with advance trac power steering failure. I had no warning whatsoever. This was in April 2015. Almost $2000 dollars to repair. Guess what happens 1 year later while I am driving down the road. There are state prisoners slowing traffic when my power steering goes out again with no warning whatsoever. When I called the dealership that did the repair I was told there was a warrnaty on parts but I would have to pay labor. After contacting Ford I was told that parts and labor were both covered. I will take it to another dealership to get the repair. When I think about driving cross country with our 3 grandchildren and think about this happening on the curvy mountain roads it terrifies me. I am disgusted with Ford. They should have a recall on this year model car just like they did the other years. I am tired of having this car in the shop with all the major repairs. I do have repair records they are not with me at the moment.

- Bremen, GA, USA

Jun 242016

Fusion

Power steering on the car went out all of a sudden and the wheel could not be turned at all. A warning saying service advancetrac came on. This almost caused an accident!

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jun 182016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 20 mph and making a left turn, the steering wheel completely seized. As a result, the contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a concrete edge. The passenger side door air bags deployed. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,873.

- Cyprus, TX, USA

Jun 162016

Fusion

Luckily I was in a parking lot preparing to leave instead of on the road like some of the people I've read about. I put the car in reverse and couldn't turn the wheel without great effort. I had to strain to get the car home. Why isn't this part of the recall" it's absolutely ridiculous that Ford can sell cars they know are defective. I can in no way afford the $1000+ it'll cost to fix a mistake they already knew was there. Ford is horrific. Is there any wonder why people buy imports"

- South Pasadena, CA, USA

Jun 082016

Fusion

The low tire pressure light came on and the my service power steering light came on when I was driving down a road went to make a turn and it became hard to turn my vehicle......took it to the Ford garage and they said it gave them like 4 or 5 codes

- Corry, PA, USA

May 012016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed and the power steering assist failed to engage, which made the steering wheel difficult to turn. The dealer was unable to perform a diagnostic because the failure was intermittent. The steering wheel normally returned to normal on its own after a few minutes. There was no warning indicator illuminated when the failure occurred. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Jun 052016

Fusion

Service light went on for the steering wheel while I was driving on the road lost all steering power. Luckily I was in the middle of driving in my drive way!

- Manteca, CA, USA

Mar 042014

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while in reverse, the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred five times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician could not determine the failure. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle was taken back to the dealer a fifth time and was diagnosed that the internal failure of the epas rack and pinion assembly failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,590. Updated 07/12/16 updated 08/02/16.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Apr 102016

Fusion

Power steering went out while driving did not cause accident however I was lucky I was able to get car pulled over as it basicaaly had no steernig. My grandfather was able to get car home but I had to borrow his car to get to work as I am a federal postal worker. I have repair bills of $1800+

- Urbandale, IA, USA

Mar 012016

Fusion

When making turns the power steering goes out and "power steer assist fault" comes up in the message center. I can turn the car off and back on again and it usually resets itself but always occurs again. This has happened over 20 times and is very dangerous as power steering is lost.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 032016

Fusion

The power steering failed many times rendering my car undeliverable. After researching, I found that there is a pending class action (philips V. Ford Motor Co.) involving the same issue and the 2010 - 2014 model year. The car is out of warranty; however, it was discovered that Ford knew of the defect prior to the 2010 model year going into production. The repairs have coat me approx. $1,600 and the car has been in and out of the repair shop for the same issue. I asked Ford to reimburse me for the repairs. They denies my claim. Please assist me in obtaining reimbursement for this known defect.

- Norco, CA, USA

May 202016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 5 mph, the electric power steering malfunctioned and the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact had to apply a significant amount of pressure to the steering wheel in order to properly steer the vehicle. The contact depressed the brake pedal and the steering returned to normal. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 124,000.

- Plant City, FL, USA

May 212016

Fusion

Power steering fault appeared on dashboard while driving and steering became hard to control. Turned ignition switch off and restarted power steering was working again. Carried car in for service I was told everything was normal. Now it's happened 4 or 5 times. Being that it's out of warranty now its out again.

- Tuscumbia, AL, USA

Mar 082016

Fusion

This is my husbands car, the power steering message came on the dashboard and he lost control of the car while he was driving on a winding road. He was able to drive it back home, but has not had any power steering since. We took our car to the Ford dealership where we had purchased it from. They said that our car needed a new epas rack. We were quoted at $1,600 to replace. We have not been able to use the vehicle since this had happened.

- Jeannette, PA, USA