2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 7 of 29)

Mar 172016

Fusion

We were driving to pick up our daughter when the service power steering now and service advancetrac came on the message board. We lost power steering to the car. Luckily my mom's house wasn't far from our house. We got home safe and called the next day about repairs and found out it was over $1500. That is something we can't afford with a family. Come to find out many people have this problem with the same make and model and have gotten it fixed but the problem keeps reoccurring. This is very disappointing to hear about this car. This was my wife's dream car and now we find out its not as safe as Ford claims it is.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Mar 172016

Fusion

While stationary, the vehicle lost all power steering. The steering rack was replaced 1 month ago for this same issue. Well, the problem came back. It appears to be a well known issue with other Fusion owners. There is a recall with 2011-2012, but not with 2010 which uses the exact same steering rack. This is a major safety concern that needs to be addressed. Car is almost impossible to drive without power steering. Do a few people need to die in wrecks for this to be added to the recall?

- Selah, WA, USA

Feb 292016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while replacing a flat tire on the vehicle, the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The contact stated that after replacing the tire, the steering wheel became very difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Mar 072016

Fusion

Advantrac warning light came on and also power steering service now signal came on. Had no power steering. Power steering failure signal had come on three or four times in the previous months. I would turn car off, turn back on and power steering would be back to normal. This time power steering never came back on. Drove to dealer, they checked system and cleared codes and said I needed a new steering rack for $1,850. I declined. The power steering was working again but he said it would go out again. Why", when". my car drives fine so why did I need a $1,850 repair. This is criminal activity. Am I driving a computer with defective chips or a car with parts.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Mar 112016

Fusion

Takada recall - I have a 2010 Ford Fusion.... my wife and I was out last night and the steering stop working and a light came on the message panel saying advance servicetrac and service power steering now... this is high dangerous because we were no where near home and I have to drive all the way home with no power steering... I am glad I did have our daughter in the car. I don't knowant what's going on but many people have had this same problem and no one is being held accountable, only the consumers. Pover steering is not a simple fix it is expensive. What are those of us who don't have the money to get it fixed suppose to do. Hopefully this issue will be resolved. I really don't even want a Ford car if all their cars come with electric power steering.

- Romulus, MI, USA

Mar 112016

Fusion

City street the car became undrivable had it taken to a shop.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 042016

Fusion

The power steering went out on my car and because it is electric it is going to cost a lot of money to fix. I have read several complaints about the 2010 Ford Fusion and am wondering if anything is going to be done about this. Luckily I was able to pull over when I noticed it was happening otherwise I could have been in an accident.

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Feb 262016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 65 mph, the traction control light and power steering light illuminated. The steering wheel seized. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 95,600.

- Belton, TX, USA

Oct 172014

Fusion

While driving on the interstate at about 70 miles per hour, my power steering went out. I could do nothing to restore it. That was about a year and a half ago. I took it to a Ford dealer and they wanted $100 to look at it and $1800 to repair it. I am on a fixed income and cannot afford the cost of repairs. It went out at 51,000 miles. Shortly after this hapened the transmission start leaking. I have to add 2 quarts per month. I have called Ford several times and they have no recalls on this year. Over 90% of the complaints on this web site have to do with 2010 Ford Fusion steering problems. My wife can longer drive this car and due to heart surgery there are times when I can not drive it. I finally contacted a lawyer and the state of West Virginia attorney generals office. I have been a faithful form customer for many years and this is the biggest piece of junk it has ever been my displeasure to own. My next step is to quit making payment on it. I still owe $14,000 on this piece of scrap metal.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Feb 252016

Fusion

Feb 25, 2016, suddenly the power steering went out, almost impossible to steer, panel warning lights came on with power steering assist failure, power steering failure.. 2010-2012 Ford Fusion with known power steering failure problems, yet the 2010 isn't in the recall" hundreds have this same prob with their 2010 Fusion! dangerous, happened as soon as I started the car, but had to get medication to elderly parent nearby, while driving after a mi snowstorm! now, have to pay to have it towed, let alone pay to fix this" can't turn the wheel without extreme effort, also smell an odd 'burny' smell..not to mention, this car already has a fuel system recall (letter rec'd in Jan 2016) but dealership still says they don't have the parts and it's the end of Feb 2016...the power steering was recalled in the following 2 years with the exact same issue--what is status for 2010 Fusion with this problem! help!

- Belleville, MI, USA

Feb 212016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 60 mph, the electrical power steering malfunctioned. The contact made numerous attempts to recover the power steering, but was unsuccessful. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering control module was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The failure mileage was not provided. Updated 04/22/16

- Mills, WY, USA

Feb 172016

Fusion

My seventeen year old son power steering went out while he was driving home from work at night. This could have caused an serious accident, but through the grace of god he made it home. However now we have a faulty vehicle with alot of complaints dealing with the same issue and yet Ford still hasn't done anything.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Nov 012015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 15 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 05/03/2016

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Feb 162016

Fusion

While backing up the vehicle the "power assist steering fault" message displays. Turning the car off and and on will occasionally resolve the issue, but has been happening with increasing frequency the past couple weeks and days. When this happens the steering wheel cannot be turned and all control of the vehicle is lost. Dealership says the entire power assists system ($1200 part + ~$400 in labor) needs addressed. They indicated it's the same problem / fix that's seen in the 2011-2012 Ford Fusion recall, however the 2010 model isn't included.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Nov 302015

Takata recall.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Feb 122016

Fusion

While driving the vehicle, a "power steering assist fault" message appeared in the message area and the steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn to direct the vehicle. There was no power steering, and manual force was needed to safely remove the vehicle from a 45-mph highway.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Feb 072016

Fusion

While driving my power steering assist failed causing my steering to be extremely difficult. This is very unsafe. My car only has 56,000 miles on it and has received maintaince on time. I don't understand if so many people are having this same problem why we are not included the the 2011-12 Fusion power steering recall"?" $2000 is a lot of money to fix clearly a manufacture error!

- Boulder, MT, USA

Feb 072016

Fusion

I was driving and power steering went out, 2 nessages popped up after wards saying service power steering now and service advance trac

- Groton, CT, USA

Feb 012016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph and making a right turn, the steering wheel seized as the advanced trac and the power steering assist fault warning indicators illuminated. The contact was nearly involved in a rear end collision due to the failure. The contact turned off and restarted the vehicle however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was towed to the contacts residence. The vehicle was driven to the dealer and was diagnosed that the steering gear needed to be replaced. The contact was told that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Feb 042016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 25 mph, the steering wheel seized and became extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 63,000. The VIN was not available.

- La Crosse, WI, USA