CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

8.2

$2,653.00

1. repaint entire car (65 reports)
  3. Honda should fix/repaint or reimburse owners for lost value (14 reports)
  4. to keep me as a honda owner i want re-embursement (5 reports)
  5. Honda paid to repaint the entire car (4 reports)
  6. repaint only roof and hood (2 reports)
1998 Honda Accord body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Honda Accord:

1998 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Aug 242007

Accord EX V4

mine is dark blue but i got the same problem.. roof has a prety much white mark, i went to shop and they tell me because the clear cloat is starting damage, then they give me a solution to repaint whole body. they offered me $1700..... HONDA should responsible for this problem!!

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 292007

Accord 3.2LV6

Having kept the car in the garage, I can't understand the problem with the paint on my GREEN 1998 Accord. Every other 1998 GREEN Accord on the road looks just as bad as mine. This is definetly a manufacture defect. Why don't they recall the vehicles? It certainly doesn't help their sales if their cars don't look good.

What can be done about this?? Help!!!

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Oct 052007

Accord LX 2.3L

paint first started to fade, but now is just chipping and peeling off like sunburned skin.

- , Suffolk, VA, USA

Oct 042007

Accord LX 4 cyl

Another green '98 Honda Accord LX with paint peeling on roof and trunk lid. Only thing we can do is keep complaining to Honda.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 152007

Accord EX V6

I've got a 1998 Honda Accord EX V6 coupe that I bought about 4 years ago. About two years ago (winter '06), I noticed that the paint on the roof of the car was peeling off. It started both in front of and on the backside of the moonroof in the center of the car. Since then, the paint on the top of the car is about gone and it is starting to peel (turn white) all around the trunk, the hood and most "edges" of the car. I have taken it to the dealership and they told me the car was most likely repainted and that whoever did the job did not do it correctly. I don't believe that the car has been repainted and that this is a factory job. Has anyone had any luck with getting Honda to accept responsibility?

- , Edmonds, WA, USA

Sep 172007

Accord LX V4

The paint began peeling from our dark green 1998 Honda Accord a few years back. Recently it began peeling from the roof. It isn't just peeling, but has white splotchy marks all around where the clear coat has come off. The car drives well, but it is ugly and annoying. Frustrated that this is an obvious factory defect (look at all the complaints from this color car) and Honda is taking no responsibility.

- , Palo Alto, CA, USA

Oct 022007

Accord EX V6

We can't believe Honda would not stand behind this problem. I see emrald green peeling hondas all over --

- , Santa Fe, NM, USA

Oct 012007

Accord LX 3.2L

I also have a green 1998 Honda Accord and the paint job is horrible, also bought a 2005 Accord and see no signs of paint fading just yet, but someone asked what we could do and we can file a class action lawsuit, I contacted the dealership and they told me a new paint job would start at $3,000. They have truly lost their damn mind. If enough of us get together we can get this resolved.

- , Hampton, VA, USA

Sep 032007

Accord LX V6

I am having the same problem with my 1998 GREEN Honda Accord. Almost all of the paint on the trunk, roof and hood is off of the car. It is a horrible advertisement for Honda! I too cannot afford to paint this car. It is clearly Honda's problem and Honda needs to fix it!

- , Levittown, PA, USA

Aug 222007

Accord EX V6

what is it with the dark green 98 Accords? Clear coat is peeling off all over the car. I can't afford to have a new paint job put on this car, and I also can't afford another car. If more people make Honda aware of this then maybe they will do something about it.

- , Garner, NC, USA

Jun 162007

Accord LX 4 cyl

Anybody had any luck with Honda helping on repairing clear coat failure on 98 Honda Accords? Mine started to fail around 5 years ago on a well maintained car that I bought new and had about 50k miles on at the time I first noticed the failure starting on the trunk lid and roof.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 302007

Accord LX 4-cyl

The paint job on my green, 98 Accord is absolutely horrible. The clear coat is pealing off on the roof, hood, sides, and trunk. The only part that is not pealing is the doors. It looks horrible and I really wish the manufacturer would do something about it. This car has become an embarrassment to drive.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 042007

Accord

Our paint seems to just be disappearing from our 98 green honda accord. It has been kept in the garage so it is not due to it being parked outside. Almost EVERY Green Honda I see on the road has the same defect? Is Honda doing anything re: this issue? It is CLEARLY a defect on Honda's part. Any suggestions?

- , Glendora, CA, USA

Apr 272007

Accord EX V6

The paint problem (looks like it has been eaten away) on our 98 Accord EX started out on the backside of the roof and then has slowly over the years spread like a fungus all over the car. It's at a point were my wife just wants a new car because the appearance looks horrific.

- , Lucas, TX, USA

Apr 282007

Accord LX 4 cyl

I seem to have the same problem others report. Some random, and some very distinct, patterns of peeled clearcoat on, mainly, top surfaces of car. As others have mentioned: this is clearly a factory problem and definitely diminishes the appearance and value of the vehicle.

- , East Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Mar 102007

Accord LX 3.2L

The clear coat is coming off of my hood the roof and now the back of the car. I went to the Honda dealership in Concord NC and they told me there was nothing they could do to help me. Every car I see this make, model and color is like mine. Is there someone we can call about this problem. I cannot afford to have my car painted but it looks awful!!! Honda should be doing something to correct this problem.

- , Kannapolis, NC, USA

Feb 272007

Accord V6

I have been told by the Honda Dealer that there is definitly a problem in the undercoat from the manufacturer. When I called the Service Mgr and I told him about the paint problem and the fact that it was a 1998 Honda Accord EX he interrupted me and said quote "I BET THE COLOR OF YOUR CAR IS GREEN". Then I asked him why did you say that. He told me that numerous customers had been in with the same type problem and they had a 1998 Honda and it was green. He also told me because of the number of complaints he actually had someone to come down from the manufacturer to see a car that had problems like mine. The Svc Mgr said that the person that came down from the manufacturer admitted that Honda realized that there was a definite problem with the paint jobs and that since that time they had corrected the problem on the more recent Hondas. I was given a toll free number to report my complaint to the Mfg by the Svc Mgr and his words were "I wish the Mfg would do something about the problem". I have since called them a filed a complaint and a case number was assigned. I was told to take it by the Honda Dealer and let the Svc Mgr visually look at my car and report to them what he saw. When I took it by for him to look at it he said it was definitly a paint problem from the mfg. I bought my car brand new and I have always loved it until this problem arose. I truly think that Honda needs to do something about this. I certainly do not have $4,000 for a new paint job. If something isn't done my car will continue to depreciate in value because this problem is like a virus it continues to spread.

- , Warner Robins, GA, USA

Feb 182007

Accord LX V6

THE PAINT IS COMING OFF MY ROOF AND THE TRUNK, IT MAKES THE VALUE OF THE CAR VERY LOW, AND ITS STILL A GOOD CAR. I DON'T HAVE MONEY TO FIX WHAT HONDA SHOULD FIX

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 162007

Accord ES V6

The clear coat is coming off on the edge of the roof above the driver's door; and on both sides of the car, behind the back seat doors.

- , Greenville, SC, USA

Jan 052007

Accord LX

CLEAR COAT IS PEELING FROM THE ROOF AND TRUNK. THIS PROBLEM REALLY MAKES MY VEHICLE LOOK EXTREMELY BAD.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA