CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

2.1

1998 Honda Accord body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Honda Accord:

1998 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 012006

Accord 4-cyl

Paint oxidizing on 1998 Honda Accord.

- Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Jan 012000

Accord 4-cyl

There is a leak in the trunk area. When it is raining, water drips from the area near the rear speakers, onto the trunk floor. I first noticed this problem a few years ago, but it seems to have gotten worse recently (this may be due to the car no longer being parked in the garage).

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

May 012003

Accord

I have a 1998 hunter green Honda Accord ex and the paint is fading on the top of the car. Is this a factory defect because I have seen several hunter green Accord with its paint fading in the same area as mine or either on the trunk.

- Harvest, AL, USA

Jul 112002

Accord 4-cyl

1998 Honda Accord paint problem: Manufacturer defect on the exterior paint causing it to crack underneath the coating layer.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Feb 272002

Accord

I have had a stroke. My leg is getting better and my legs are 34". I did't realize that the 1998 car does not have as much room as the19 89(my previos car). I would like NHTSA to approve modififying my car, so I can have enough room to drive. Thank you.

- San Anselmo, CA, USA