CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

1998 Honda Accord miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Honda Accord:

1998 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 092000

Accord

In July 1998, I purchased a 1998 Honda Accord V6 ex. In February 2000 the first problem with the engine check and egr defect occurred. The problem was resolved with the replacement of the intake manifold and repositioning of the PCV valve and hose in accordance with Honda recall instructions and resetting the "check engine" light indicator at no cost to me. Service occurred at dealer. In April 2000, the second problem with the egr valve as manifested by the "check engine" light occurred. The problem was resolved by replacement of the PCV hose in accordance with Honda recall instructions and resetting the "check engine" light indicator at no cost to me. Service occurred at dealer. In October 2000, the third occurrence of the egr valve failure occurred. This problem was resolved by cleaning the egr port and valve. This was performed at a cost of $66 plus tax. Service occurred at dealer. In January 2001, a related occurrence of the egr problem occurred with an idle air controller (iac) motor failing. The egr port and valve were not checked, however the symptoms of the problem were resolved by replacement of the iac motor and clearing of the check engine light indicator. This resulted in a cost to me of $226.69. Service occurred at dealer. In November 2001, I was sent a notice by american Honda concerning the egr failures and extending the warranty to 80,000 miles. Service occurred at dealer. In May 2002, the fourth egr problem occurred with the check engine light indicating a problem. The problem was diagnosed to be the egr valve failure and the catalytic converter failure. This repair has been estimated to be $800. Honda?S district service manager has denied the claim, since the failure occurred at 81,000 miles, it has been considered to be out-of-warranty by Honda and therefore repairs would be at my cost. Service occurred at dealer in tucson, AZ. As a further point, Honda has denied all claims for work done under warranty.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 312002

Accord

In January 2000, I took my Honda in to the tricket dealership to have a sticking gas pedal repair. The mileage at that time was 35, 187. The pedal would stick and require a hard punch with the foot to come loose. The dealer cleaned the throttle and told me it was caused by a Honda floor mat. This resolved the problem at that time. I removed the floor mat. On January 16, 2002 I took the Honda into the same dealership and reported my gas pedal was sticking again even though I used no floor mat on the drivers side. The dealership cleaned the throttle again with a charge to me of $35.18 which seemed to take care of the problem. When I asked why this element had failed twice, at first I was told it was bad gas, then the dealerrship admitted 98-99 Honda Accord had recurring problems with the gas pedal sticking. The dealership told me this was not dangerous because the gas pedal did not normally stick wide open. I guess dangerous is a matter of opinion. A gas pedal stuck half way down could potentially cause an accident. When I called the national Honda customer service, I was told to get the throttle cleaned as part of my normal maintenance. I would like to know if other Honda owners are experiencing this dilemma. It appears to me to be an obvious design flaw and Honda should be correcting it. I am also concerned about later model Honda Accord. I certainly don't want to purchase a new problem. Any assistance you could provide would be appreciated. By the way, my Honda is a "LX" model.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Jan 012000

Accord

In January 2000, I took my Honda in to the tricket dealership to have a sticking gas pedal repaired. The mileage at that time was 35, 187. The pedal would stick and require a hard punch with the foot to come loose. The dealer cleaned the throttle and told me it was caused by a Honda floor mat. This resolved the problem at that time. I removed the floor mat. On January 16, 2002 I took the Honda into the same dealership and reported my gas pedal was sticking again even though I used no floor mat on the driver's side. The dealership cleaned the throttle again with a charge to me of $35.18 which seemed to take care of the problem. When I asked why this element had failed twice, at first I was told it was bad gas, then the dealership admitted 98-99 Honda Accord had recurring problems with the gas pedal sticking. The dealership told me this was not dangerous because the gas pedal did not normally stick wide open. I guess dangerous is a matter of opinion. A gas pedal stuck half way down could potentially cause an accident. When I called the national Honda customer service, I was told to get the throttle cleaned as part of my normal maintenance. I would like to know if other Honda owners are experiencing this dilemma. It appears to me to be an obvious design flaw and Honda should be correcting it. I am also concerned about later model Honda Accord. I certainly don't want to purchase a new problem. Any assistance you could provide would be appreciated. By the way, my Honda is a "LX" model.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Sep 012001

Accord

Engine check light stays on after having recall done for egr valve. Consumer has taken vehicle into repair shop, and diagnostic reading showed no problem. Consumer has been advised to please attach a copy of recall information with complaint form.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Jan 062001

Accord

Engine check light continues to come on at more frequency than it should (7 times ) for emisssion failure.

- Mt. Juliet, TN, USA

Dec 151999

Accord

Vehicle accelerates uncontrollably; consumer pulled into driveway, had foot on brakes, and vehicle accelerated on its own. Driver had to swerve into a field. Sometimes had to put in neutral to slow vehicle down. Contacted dealer, and dealer stated it could be the floor mats. Please add VIN #.

- Wartz Creek, MI, USA

Fuel gauge is defective.

- Upland, CA, USA

Nov 151999

Accord

Engine check light will show up at all time on the dashboard, and light will stay on for long time.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Jan 251999

Accord

Fuel sending unit failed twice causing gauge to read inaccurately

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Accord

Interior and upholstery of a vehicle is loose.

- Upland, CA, USA

Feb 011998

Accord

Check engine light came on constantly.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Oct 311997

Accord

Driver's side floor mat does not stay in place causing mat to move forward toward's the gas pedal which could cause an accident.

- Lanoka Har, NJ, USA

May 011998

Fuel meter, RPM gauge.

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Accord

Instrument panel is difficult to read in daylight due to design. Mjs

- Arroyo Grande, CA, USA

Jun 251999

Accord

Factory installed floor mats continually slide forward and bunch under the brake/accelerator pedal. Nlm

- Greenfield, MA, USA

Dec 011998

Accord

Mat slides under gas pedal

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Apr 261999

Accord

Floor mat rolls up under the brake pedal and accelerator. Consumer has not contacted dealer.

- Wise, VA, USA

Jan 301999

No summary

- Riverview, FL, USA

Oct 021998

Accord

Driver side floormat bunches under the brake pedal.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jun 101998

Accord

Consumer can not visibly see high beam indicator light during the daytime.

- Hendersonv, NC, USA