Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 1999 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, engine shuts off while driving, & peeling paint. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Engine stalling while driving in the 1999 Accord is typically caused by a defective ignition switch -- inexpensive to repair (under $200) but dangerous.

Peeling paint has also been an issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

2. paper-clip (1 reports)
1999 Honda Accord accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Honda Accord:

1999 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Nov 192011

Accord EX 2.3L I4 Vtec

The factory security system has been nothing but trouble. Any time I lock the doors, and activate the system, the alarm will randomly go off some time afterwards (be it 10 minutes or 6 hours later). This has been a huge frustration and embarrassment. The car woke my entire street at 5:56 a.m. one morning. This has happened about 5 times this month, probably more, but I'm not always within hearing distance of my car.

Note: The car cannot be locked without activating the security system. There is no way around it, if you want it locked, the system is going to activate.

This is only one problem I have with the car, there are more.

I fell into the whole "Hondas are great, very reliable" charade. I urge you not to make the same mistake I did.

Update from Jun 15, 2013: 6/15/13 UPDATE

In my time with the car, I've found a solution. I hope this helps people.

- Get paper-clip. - Put in ignition. - Close door. -Manually lock door from the outside, with key.

-There, now doors are locked, but car thinks there is a key in the ignition, so it won't activate security system, and thus, the alarm will not go off.

- , Uniontown, PA, USA

Feb 032010

the factory alarm goes off several times a day for no reason. Does anyone out there know how to eliminate the alarm for good?? I am willing to try anything as this problem is driving me crazy.

- , Ottawa, ON, Canada