CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1999 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, engine shuts off while driving, & peeling paint. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Engine stalling while driving in the 1999 Accord is typically caused by a defective ignition switch -- inexpensive to repair (under $200) but dangerous.

Peeling paint has also been an issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

6.0

1999 Honda Accord body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Honda Accord:

1999 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Dec 012009

Accord LX 3.2L V6

I was advised by the Honda service people that the subframe was rusted to the point the vehicle is unsafe to drive .It sure smells like a defect to me. I purchased this vehicle new and have had it serviced regularly . Apparently between the last oil change ( 3 mos. ago ) and this one all this rust out happened ??. Has anyone else experienced this problem. I have heard of cars thirty years old that have a gazillion miles on them and are still on the road!! I thought it was only the big three that built crappy cars

- , camlachie, ontario, Canada