CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2000 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

7.2

$5,551.00

2. repaint car (22 reports)
2000 Honda Accord body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Honda Accord:

2000 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 012014

Accord EX 2.8L

It looks pretty bad, you would think Honda would do some thing about it.

- , Odessa, TX, USA

Sep 172016

Accord

Everywhere i drive i see honda's with this same bad paint job

- , Hollister, MO, USA

Jan 012013

Accord LX 4 cyl

My car has low mileage on it and is in very good shape other than the clear coat problem. I would like to keep it as long as possible so I am looking for solutions to this situation.

- , Wilmington, DE, USA

Jun 002008

Accord 2D Coupe V6

We have owned several Honda vehicles in the last 30 years, and never had the coating literally peel off the vehicle day by day, inch by inch, leaving the exterior completely unprotected and incredibly unattractive. I see black Hondas of similar make, model and years all the time, and I notice them because they are all peeling in the same way. Honda has a legal obligation to fix the problems they caused, especially since there is no way a purchaser could have identified or predicted this result.

- , Charlottesville, VA, USA

Jan 012002

Accord

The paint issue on this 2000 Honda Accord was brought to the dealer's attention year's ago. There were no recalls at the time and no offers to make the ugly situation "whole". (And the dealership has gone out of business.) Obviously there have been no recalls by Honda since. Peeling paint appears to be an issue that the Honda company wishes to ignore. The photos posted by other Honda owners show the same inferior finish of the paint as on my Honda Accord. Obviously the paint product and/or method of painting is an issue that the company has turned a blind eye and a deaf ear to.

I also own a 2009 Honda Civic that has begun to show the same effects of a bad paint job that was not evident when I purchased the car. I wrongly figured that the 2000 Honda Accord paint was a fluke and chose to purchase another Honda. Very sad that I didn't check the internet in advance to see if there were other Honda owners with similar or identical paint issues.

Hard to understand why any company would want their name on a vehicle that has ugly peeling paint. Definitely reduces the value of the purchase. If the siding on a house is in disrepair, how well the interior and the mechanics were maintained is questionable. If the car paint is an issue, what other areas of the vehicle were scrimped on?

Guess the next vehicle will be a Nissan or Toyota or Kia or.....

- , Galloway, NJ, USA

Aug 042014

Accord EX 2.3L 4 cyl

Luckily, my car is gray, so the deteriorating paint job near the windows is not as obvious as for a darker car. But it's unsightly. Had this issue since before I bought it at 133,000 miles

- , Princeton, NJ, USA

Jul 172015

Accord UEX 3.2L

click to see larger images

clear coat is peeling

I love my car!!! The paint is awful..... Cheep paint . I want it fixed NOW!!!!!!!!!

- , columbia, TN, USA

May 012015

Accord LX Sedan With ABS 2.3L

Kept this Honda in great condition always had oil change at 3000 miles and it looks like a clunker. It has 80,900 miles on it @ 15 years old and The Paint is hideous over the last 8-10 months the Clear Coat has been falling off like it has some kind of car cancer it's seriously makes me think differently about Honda and How Good their Cars are.

- , Clearwater, USA

Jan 012010

Accord DX 3.6L

Paint sealer overcoat is peeling badly. Green paint is faded as well.

- , Apopka, FL, USA

Jun 192013

Accord LX 4 cyl

Besides the paint failing, my engine pulleys came of while driving, in October 2014. The lock actuators are not working correctly. The heating and cooling cycle doesn't work unless I'm constantly pushing and holding the A/C button down while pushing the Defrost button at the same time. All this while having a bad right shoulder!!! I've got to do all of this to keep cool in summer or warm in to winter!! I would trade it in, but I've been unemployed and not having an income to get a replacement.

- , Hopkins, SC, USA

Feb 012013

Accord EX

Cheap OEM paint job. Paint peeling from hood, roof and trunk.

- , Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Jun 012012

Accord EX 4

The paint job on the top is gone, not rust, but the top layer is gone. My car is 2000 Accord and I do regularly wash and wax and do not understand why this is happening. I have a Nissan Pickup, 1985 that I do not regularly wash and wax and it does not have this issue. This should not be happening. I have noticed other Honda cars with the same issue. Was there a change in the paint that Honda uses? Has to be a change in the paint used...

- , Newark, CA, USA

Nov 012007

Accord EX V6

Almost every Accord I see form this time period is peeling off the paint. This is unreal that the company has never addressed the problem. It's obvious to everyone they were cutting corners for many years with what they used in the paint for their cars. There really needs to be some course of action.

- , Long Branch, NJ, USA

Sep 092009

Accord LX

The peeling sealer-coat, which Honda did not step up to remedy, was a permanent deal-breaker. 'Never ran the car through a plastic-brush carwash, sand storms, salt sprays, etc. I've purchased only Toyotas since.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 012009

Accord EX V6

The peeling paint makes the car look a lot older than it really is. The car runs great, but looks horrible.

- , Kirkland, WA, USA

Apr 012014

Accord EXL 3.2L V6

Look, I really love my Honda, it has been the best new car I ever owned. Only broke down twice, once alternator under warranty, second time was starter. But this clear coat peeling on the car is getting worse, started on the roof has since started on trunk lid and also hood. Wish Honda would step up and fix this clear coat issue.

- , Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

May 052012

Accord Coupe 4 cyl

MULTIPLE AREAS OF DECOMPOSING CLEAR COAT MAKING THE VEHICLE LOOK LIKE IT HAS COROSION

- , Frederick, MD, USA

Aug 012007

Accord LX

click to see larger images

clear coat is peeling

Wondering why there has been no class action suit, I've seen dozens of cars just like, same problem. So why does Honda get away with this.

- , Odenton, MD, USA

Jun 032010

Accord EX 3.0L V6

The clear coat is separating from the paint on my car. Devalues the car by $600, and repainting would cost $1200, not worth the cost. Looks like my car has a terrible rash, makes others want to stay away from it including me (the owner). Inconvenient and eye sore, cars should look like how they run, my car runs great but looks terrible.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 052013

Accord EX V6

Cmon Honda, I love everything about this car. The body/shape is timeless, probably one of the best looking Accords ever built with the exception of the newer body styles. BUT THE PAINT IS AWFUL. Almost every single Black/Blue/Teal Honda of that Gen (98-02) has the same problem with the clear coat peeling. It looks like tiger stripes, like someone tried to buff the car with sandpaper. This is a silly problem that only runs a mm deep into the vehicle that should not be there.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA