Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

2001 Honda Accord drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Apr 072012

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a loud grinding noise while changing gears. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and a complaint was filed. No further assistance was provided. The contact also stated that the transmission was replaced once prior at the mileage was 55,000 on September 6, 2011. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 91,613.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 012011

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while parked, the vehicle lunged forward abnormally accompanied with a loud pop sound. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the main drive belt and the power steering pump were replaced. The dealer also advised the contact that the transmission would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that her vehicle was not covered under recall. The failure and current mileages were 145,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 242012

Transmission was slipping when it shifted into 2nd gear for several weeks, then it just stopped. Now it will cost 3000 dollars. The car has only 69000 miles and never was abused. I was the only owner.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Feb 082012

Car was being driven at 20 mph when engine raced and the car coasted to a stop. The shift lever moved through all positions but car did not move in forward or reverse. Car was towed and the diagnosis was that the front drum of the transmission had completely broken down. Transmission was totally rebuilt at a cost of $1950. This was the replacement transmission installed by Honda at 40,000 miles under warranty after the original transmission failed.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 072012

Accord 6-cyl

I experienced a transmission failure at 130000 miles on a 2001 Honda Accord, a car that is supposed to be known for reliability. I was making a left-hand turn at the time and the unexpected failure of my car to switch into a higher gear nearly resulting in a deadly collision with oncoming traffic, lucky the other vehicles has sufficient time to react, and I was able to avoid damage. However, this problem has me concerned with the reliability the Honda corporation claims to have. This is an example of a blatantly obvious problem with Honda vehicles that may well end in death, or serious personal expense.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 282011

Accord 4-cyl

Transmission started slipping then during the same local trip started jerking violently while in traffic. Once pulled over it was taken to a garage to get looked at. It was diagnosed with having a failed transmission.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jan 082012

The transmission slips all the time when trying to move from a full stop the RPM's rev but no movement then it jerks.

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

Apr 012002

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. While stopped, the contact applied the accelerator pedal but the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic. The mechanic stated to the contact that the transmission would have to be replaced due to a failure in the differential bearing. The transmission was previously replaced twice by a dealer under a manufacturer's recall. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000.

- Portland, OR, USA

Dec 052011

Accord 4-cyl

Transmission problems at 34,000 and now again at 120,000. This car will be on it's 3rd transmission.

- Carl Junction, MO, USA

Nov 212011

Accord 4-cyl

Transmission failure-on 11-21-2011 my transmission failed and now has to be replaced with a new Honda transmission at a cost of $4,000.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 012011

Accord 4-cyl

Transmission went bad at 96,000 miles. Honda is fully aware of a defective torque-converter which ruins the unit. Went to the torrington, ct dealership today, spent $116 to be told what I already knew-transmission needs replacement. Was quoted $4,050. To repair it. Honda offered $1,000 toward the repair which I declined. This is a huge safety issue, not to mention wrong since I can no longer use the car. How does Honda get away with this? they issued a directive tsb but not a recall despite scores of Honda owners experiencing transmission failures in various driving scenarios. Someone will get hurt or die due to Honda's negligence.

- Litchfield, CT, USA

May 012011

Accord 4-cyl

I own a 2001 Honda Accord which has been experiencing problems at 70,000 miles with the transmission slipping and not shifting smoothly. My research has indicated that this is a common problem but Honda has only recalled 2003-2004 Accord even though they have the same transmission. I am very dissatisfied with this reliability issue considering I bought the Accord for its reliability.

- Darien, IL, USA

Aug 242011

Accord 4-cyl

After have the recall done on this car 5 years ago. My transmission is having all the issues known by everyone. Engine light is one service computer states transmission shifting problem. Aamco has told me that its a known issues with this model car to have transmission issue before the recall and way after and yet Honda is silent! I am sorry but this is just not right!

- Bronx, NY, USA

Oct 012011

Accord 4-cyl

A failed transmission on a used 2001 Honda Accord. This transmission failed not long after the extended warranty period. It took a little longer to break. Honda refuses to help getting it fixed even though they are aware of their sub-standard product.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Aug 252011

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact was driving up an incline approximately 20 mph when the transmission began to hesitate excessively during acceleration with a loud unusual noise. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 10/27/11 updated 11/07/11

- Newtown Square, PA, USA

Sep 142011

Transmission failure with low mileage needs recall major problem with alot of people who cant afford the repair costs. The Honda company is not helpful, with wanting to fix 2001 models, I think its rediculous, if the car is under 100K mi. They should fix it for free its there responsibility as a company to do so.

- Athol , MA, USA

Aug 012011

Transmission failure to shift into 2nd gear some times. Car taken to dealer on extended warranty and refused maintenance due to age of car.. many Honda's having this problem and need a recall to resolve this issue as it shouldn't happen. Second problem is driver seat belt. Air bags replaced on recall and shortly after the SRS light came on. Dealer says problem not in air bags but driver seat belt module in seat buckle. Seat belt warranty for life of vehicle but Honda says the buckle where switch is not covered. You can not replace switch but must buy the complete seat belt strap and buckle. To me the seat belt buckle-strap is part of the seat belt. Honda warranty says a seat belt that fails to function properly is covered for the useful life of the vehicle. This is a safety problem as with this failure Honda manual says air bags will not fire when SRS light on.

- Tujunga, CA, USA

Jan 212011

Accord 4-cyl

On January 21, 2010 I bought a 2001 Honda Accord ex from a private party. I have owned Honda vehicles all my life; the dependability is a major reason why. After owning the vehicle for almost 1 year, the transmission started giving me problems. The transmission would slip out of gear and not engage. It would eventually not work all together. I took the vehicle into my local automobile shop and to my surprise they told me I needed a new transmission. The cost was nearly $2100 just to get a rebuilt one. A new one from the dealership would cost me anywhere from $3000-$4000. I called my local Honda dealership and spoke with a service representative who told me since I purchased it through a private party I would need to call Honda. He also told me that there were some issues in the past with Accord transmissions. On the same day, I called Honda and spoke with a representative that worked in the recall department. He told me that Honda did indeed have transmission failure issues with the Honda Accord of that year; but that my Honda would not be covered because it had 130,000 miles vs. The warranty coverage of 109,000 miles. Unsatisfied with the results, I spoke with a supervisor and she informed me that she looked into alternatives as far as paying for the expenses; and she was unable to find a solution. To my disappointment; I was unable to receive assistance to pay for this large bill that was due to a defective transmission manufacturer's by Honda. As a long term consumer of Honda; words cannot explain my melancholy. Since I was given no assistance, and my Honda is my only means of transportation to work, I was left with no other option than to incur a financial hardship by covering the expenses myself. Total cost = $2083.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 062011

Transmission failure at 68,830 miles-this is a known Honda problem-this failure has never been addressed by a recall from Honda

- Indian Harbour Beach, DC, USA

Nov 202010

In recent months the transmission in my 2001 Honda Accord has been slipping. Diagnostic at Honda dealers shows the transmission needs replacement. They are asking for $3,350 to replace the transmission even though they are well aware that this year's model has a defective transmission. The bay area manager was consulted and he refuses to replace the transmission or even offer the repair at a reduced rate, he simply refuses to accept any responsibility for the failure of their product. When I called Honda of America/headquarters, they basically told me that whatever the manager decided is what they back up. I feel strongly that despite mileage or number of years, should a transmission fail in these vehicles, Honda should at the least offer a repair at a reduced rate. Perhaps only charge for parts and not labor but they should be trying to make good with their customers. This is one of three Honda in the family and I mentioned this in discussions but they obviously have no loyalty to their customers.

- South San Francisco, CA, USA