CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

2001 Honda Accord drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 142016

Accord

Automatic transmission shifts hard going into second gear. Known problems with 2001 Honda V6 transmissions. American Honda ("ah") has admitted my car's transmission should have been fixed, but they did not send me the notice and now the warranty has passed. Many owners have experienced this problem and now we are stuck with transmissions that need to be replaced at $4500. My car is under 143,000 miles. Driving my car with this issue is a safety hazard and ah does not want to take ownership of this issue despite my various calls to them and they acknowledging it was a faulty transmission.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Jun 022016

Accord

I cannot make it across busy streets safely due to my vehicles transmission torque converter. It takes too long to engage from first to second gear. There was a recall on this issue back in 2004. I bought this car from someone in 2014 not knowing about it. Issues include: Transmission slips or won't engage. Car stutters or jerks while accelerating. Check engine light on.

- Wendell, NC, USA

Mar 162016

Accord

Hard shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. After doing research on the 2001 Honda Accord transmissions. I'm not the only one that has this problem. There are so many people that believe how great Honda vehicles are and it seems that Honda doesn't want to do anything about it. My sister inlaw was looking at a new 2016 Honda. I showed her all the problems that Honda had and she decided to buy something else. Shame on Honda for not taking care of there customers. You need to recall this transmission and do the right thing. We call this ( standing behind our products and customers ). hope you do the right thing...

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Apr 022016

Accord

I am the original owner of a 2001 Honda Accord, the automatic transmission failed at 78800. I paid $4000 to Honda dealer to install a remanufactured auto transmission, the second transmission failed completely at 14600 miles again.

- Albuquerque, NJ, USA

Jun 192015

Accord

Car started shifting hard into first and second gears. Then my check engine light came on and the code: P0740 came up. I have researched this issue and have found that there was a lawsuit in ca regarding this and that it is a major issue for my generation Honda. I had my transmission fluids checked and the levels are fine, color is good, and it does not smell burnt. Before I pay for a hefty repair, I would like to know if Honda has, or will, taken any responsibility for repairs or replacement.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 022015

Accord

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. While driving at 30 mph, the contact heard a noise underneath the vehicle. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed fluid leaking underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 91,000.

- Matteson , IL, USA

Jan 082015

Accord 6-cyl

From a position of park in a parking garage to the position of drive the car immediately began accelerating uncontrollably. The gas pedal seemed stuck and slight pressure on it to get it unstuck made the car go faster so I placed both feet on the brake pedal with full downward force but the car kept accelerating. I finally had to crash into another vehicle to prevent my car from hitting people walking in the parking garage.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 222014

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission failure while pulling into traffic, close call accident averted by defensive maneuvers by two vehicles. Request for assistance to Honda America denied. Vehicle was one covered by a Honda America extended warranty as the result of a class action lawsuit. Although mi. Was still below extended warranty limit time limit was expired and Honda denied any assistance.

- Red Hook, NY, USA

Aug 012014

Accord

2001 Honda Accord. Consumer writes in regards to transmission problems. The consumer was quoted a price of $2400 for a re-built transmission from one dealer and $3,000 from another dealer for a brand new transmission.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Jul 132014

Accord

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle jerked and the acceleration decreased. The vehicle would not accelerate past 20 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, but the results were unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 212,000.

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Jul 232014

Accord

Transmission needs to be replaced. Car will not go into reverse. This is a Honda recall and Honda will not honor since the car is over the age for the warranty but still within the mileage. This vehicle was always serviced at the dealer where it was purchased and were never informed of the recall.

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Jun 112011

Accord

2001 Honda Accord transmission has internal problems. The car jerks when it shift to second gear.

- Illinois, IL, USA

Jun 292014

Accord

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact stated there was a loud noise upon shifting gears. The service engine sensor and the gear sensor illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 11V395000 (power train). The vehicle was to be inspected and repaired by an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Chantilly, VA, USA

May 222014

Accord 4-cyl

Nothing has happened. Yet. Around 5/22 my check engine light went on. On 5/29 I had my mechanic scan the computer. What came up is transmission issues. He told me that most likely it will need to be rebuilt or replaced. So far there are no behavioral symptoms, only the warning light and the computer reading. I will have to take the car in for an extended test before knowing the full extent of the damage. Meanwhile, I am driving a vehicle that could kill me or others at any time if the transmission seizes up in an inopportune setting and time.

- Sherborn, MA, USA

Feb 042013

Accord 6-cyl

The transmission started making hard shifts. It has gotten to the point now that I am going to have to replace the transmission.

- San Benito, TX, USA

Mar 262014

Accord 4-cyl

Our 2001 Honda Accord experienced a failed transmission at 180,000 miles. The car started shifting rough at 70,000 miles, and we reported the issue to the Honda dealer. They inspected and said that it was normal. We contacted Honda of America (1-800-999-1009) and they would not help us at all. With a bit of research we found out that according to a lot of reports on the internet have been aware of this issue, and have helped some owners pay for the costs of replacing or repairing the transmission. However, there is a liability and responsibility issue here and we, as well as every Honda owner should have been made aware that there vehicles may have transmission defects which could lead to technical and safety problems. Honda should have sent notices to Honda owners alerting them to take their vehicles to nearby dealerships to have them inspected. It is apparent that Honda was and is aware of this issue and by not issuing a recall or an alert, then they are avoiding liability and responsibility to correct their deficiency and are handling these issues on a cases by case basis, hoping that they can steer clear of a national recall. This problem is a clear result of Honda's negligence and attempts to conceal a matter for which they have knowledge of and for which that have already admitted to by assisting customers on a cases by case basis.

- Half Moon Bay, CA, USA

Mar 282014

Accord 4-cyl

While driving, the D4 indicator from the transmission is illuminated. Extremely slow or delayed gear engagement, upshifts or downshifts. Loud noise from the transmission this posed a danger while driving. Honda dealership told me there was no warranty extension. But upon calling Honda they told me there was an extension of warranty.

- Reading, PA, USA

Mar 082012

Accord 6-cyl

2001 Honda Accord. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle transmission failure. The consumer learned after the transmission failed, and had it fixed, a class-action suit had been filed against Honda. Prior to the replacement of the transmission, the consumer noticed the transmission was hesitating on upon shifting. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop, and upon disassembly, it was noted that the third gear clutch pack was worn. Also, the steering rack was leaking.

- Madison, NJ, USA

Aug 012012

Accord 4-cyl

I bought the car to a person who said the car started the transmission problem years ago. The transmission slips when accelerating and decelerating and responds late from fist to second shift. I made a research and many people have this problem and I found on web this car had a bulletin but only till 100 miles and 7 years, which is not the clients fault and is unfair they gave limits to this type of problem. This is a safety problem and the fix should not be limited to a warranty.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Dec 012013

Accord

As I pushed down on gas the car hesitated to go and my check engine light pops on. I took my car to advanced auto parts to check it and it read transmission torque converter.

- Columbus, MS, USA