CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

2.7

2001 Honda Accord miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Apr 042016

Accord

Takata recall Honda called me back in January to notify me of the inflator recall on my car and told me I need to bring it in to be repaired. Since I was working a lot at the time and was carpooling with my brother I took the option to set up an appointment at a later date. I recently got to the point where I need to start driving the car a lot again I called Honda back to set up the appointment. They notified me that the recall was already complete and gave me the number to the location this repair was apparently done. I called them and they told me a different dealer was the one that did the recall. I went back and forth between different dealers and Honda's resolution team multiple times over the next few days before they finally gave me the number to the Honda association. I called them and the lady on the phone told me it was already done. I explained everything that happened and she continued to tell me that the recall was already done in houston (which is about a 4-hour drive from where I live) on January 29th. She told me that there was nothing she could do to help me and continued that it was already done. I am the only one that drives this Honda and definitely did not take it to be repaired, and Honda won't do anything about it. Meanwhile after going back and forth with them the past few weeks I am at the point where I am driving my car with dangerous inflators and can't get the repair work done that was supposed to be offered by Honda, with a new job in frisco (about an hour drive) starting in a few weeks. I told the lady on the phone that I was going to contact the NHTSA next and she said that she would make note of that.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Oct 032015

Accord

The front subframe on the passenger side has rusted through due to Honda great idea to let the A/C drain there. It's a very common problem and something needs to be done about this. Now my car could fall apart at any moment which is clearly not safe.

- Erie, PA, USA

Jun 202014

Accord

My ignition-park interlock is faulty but isn't under the current recall. It may be common sense to put the E-brake on when parking but not everyone is perfect, my vehicle has nearly rolled away multiple times now. Luckily I caught it in time to stop it from crashing. Also if I do leave the vehicle in D4 with the E-brake on, ignition key out of course, and I leave the vehicle parked, someone could break in and push it away. Regardless what I showed the dealership, they told me to contact Honda of America to file a complaint. I just did that and got told the same thing.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Jul 202011

Accord

Car changes gears when excelerating.

- Bronx , NY, USA

May 272015

Accord

On inspection of the vehicle, the engine cradle/ subframe on the passenger side is rusted most of the way through making the car unsafe to drive. The drivers side is fine.

- Fergus Falls, MN, USA

Nov 152002

Accord

All of the above dates and mileage are approximate. I have the information on paper at home. I have also had the hardest time with Honda financial services with them calling me and saying that I never paid my monthly bill (last fall), which I did, and then finally they found the check and said "oh, our mistake, it has been here the whole time." and then now, I have them saying that I was in default of my lease because they never had information for my insurance, which my insurance was supposed to send them that information. I checked back with them a week later (today) and they said that they were going to impound my car because my insurance company never got back with them. Called my insurance company, and it took 5 mins. To have someone fax over proof of insurance. That was all - was it that difficult"?" this car had to have the back brakes replaced after 25000 miles (about a month ago - it was making this awful noise, like rattling chains underneath) - that should not have happened. The back window tinting lifted up after 1 year, the tire blew out on the freeway 1 month after getting it (leased the car Aug 2001). The service engine light has come on twice, for no apparent reason. And the SRS light was on 2 different times. Had it turned off the 1st time. Then 1 week later it was back on, brought back to my dealership and they said it was something wrong with the computer system, but they could not give me a good enough explanation. When I first was looking for a car at the dealership, this car was not on the lot where all the other cars for sale were, it was in the back, by the service department. Asked the sales rep if the car was in okay condition and he said it was, and there was nothing wrong with it because it only had 10 miles on it - I should have known then. This car is a pain in the behind and it is just a hassle for everything that keeps happening with it.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Nov 152002

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Sep 152001

Accord

Engine check light came on, dealer replaced sensor.

- Newburgh, NY, USA