Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

1. surface needs preparation and then be repainted (32 reports)
  3. repaint (13 reports)
2002 Honda Accord body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

May 142008

Accord LX V6

I need this problem to be repainted. I feel it is a factory problem, not mine

- , Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Apr 142009

Accord SE 4 cyl

The paint on the roof of car, behind the moon roof seems to be dissolving. That's some quality "crapmanship"!

- , Cohoes, NY, USA

Jan 012007

Accord ES V6

looks horrible--body shop said it looks like it was re-painted

- , Glen Rock, NJ, USA

Jul 112007

Accord SE

I was a big fan of Honda until last year when the paint started coming off of the doors(just below the window) of my black 2002 Honda Accord. The paint then continued to come off on the hood and now the roof (in front of the sunroof). I have white splotches everywhere. I took my care to the dealer and the area service manager was going to look at it but they called me and said there was no reason for me to bring it in because they couldn't do anything. I then contacted Honda Corporation and got a rep to call me back and he said he would check into the problem but that was over 2 months ago and I haven't heard anything. I have tried to contact him but he never answers but I continue to leave a message. My husband owned a 1984 Honda Accord and sold it in 1999 and the paint job looked better after 15 years then my car does now. I have lost faith in Honda and do not intend to buy another one unless they can help me with the paint problem.

- , Houston, TX, USA

May 042004

Accord ES

Awful clear coat and Honda feels no responsibility for it! The car looks like it has a disease. It still runs great, but it is embarrassing to drive. I took it to my local dealer, was made to wait hours to see the regional rep, wrote to the company in California, and Honda still does nothing. I expected more of Honda in terns of quality and service. This is my second, but last, Honda.

- , Mount Vernon, IL, USA

Apr 012007

Accord EX V4

This is the first new car that I have ever owned and I have taken excellent care of it. The green paint in oxidizing on the hood and on the roof and I have been told that the only remedy is to re-paint the car. I can't afford that, at the time, and it so disappointing to finally have purchased a brand new vehicle and have this problem. Mechanically speaking, I have had no problems at all.

- , Hendersonville, NC, USA

Jan 012007

Accord EX 3.2L V6

I had an 85 Honda Accord for 10 years and never had a problem with the paint. I'm so disappointed with my accord cosmetically. My car is black and a couple of months ago, I started seeing a little white speckling on the trunk and then it spread and appeared over the windshield. I already reported a problem with my alloy wheels clear coat peeling off and Honda pretty much said it was my fault for washing them with mild commercially available car wash detergent. So I'm sure I'll get nowhere with this either.

I used to love Honda...not anymore. This problem is embarrassing. I look like a drive a junker now.

- , Huntsville, AL, USA

Nov 162007

Accord SE

The paint started as isolated and keeps popping up in new areas: first on the doors below the window, next on the roof and now on top of the trunk. Honda dealer states it was because the car was in an accident ---accident was to front hood. Still trying to talk to someone reasonable that can explain why that would make any difference. PS The hood was repaired at a Honda dealership!

Anyone have this issue and get any satisfaction from Honda?

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 282007

Accord LX 2.5L

This car (Color white) was painted with defective paint, primer or both. Paint is peeling off on the roof in the channels, & near the back window. Also, the clear coat is turning yellow and peeling. No chemicals were ever used on this car, nor has it ever been through a car wash. It has always been washed by hand with mild detergent, the same as other cars I have owned. The stck hub caps are warped and the paint on them is thin and scratches easily. It's a cheaply made body with bad paint.

- , Kissimmee, FL, USA

Aug 132006

Roof & back window paint defects. 9 1/2 year honda owner & last car (93 Accord) 11yrs old & owned for 8 1/2 years no paint problems ever. Purchased a 2002 used / leased Honda Accord Ex fully loaded and have had for 1 1/2 years & now back window / roof clear coat paint defect. Meeting with Honda to see if they are going to cover cost to fix. If no resolution then I will end 9 1/2 year honda ownership. Paying for platnium extended warranty and getting dooped. Has any other 02 honda owner had this problem? Problem reduces professional impressions. Fustrated and wanting car makers to step up to the plate and remember ethics!

- , Tampa, FL, USA