Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

2002 Honda Accord electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Sep 142012

Accord Special Edition

As I was driving the radio cut out for a couple seconds. Next time radio went out, I noticed that the speedometer and RPM gauges would also drop to zero quick and then back. The next time (driving home from work) the power loss flashes continued, and I noticed a pattern that it would happen after each acceleration. The car would gain speed as normal when accelerating, but as soon as I let off the pedal, there would be a power loss flash. It would only last a couple seconds, but I need to find a mechanic to fix before I am stranded on the road somewhere!

Has anyone else had this problem with their Accord - any advice on how to fix this issue?

- , Madison, WI, USA

Sep 152008

Accord EX

The guages (all) drop, radio & headlights go off (for about 30 seconds), airbag light comes on, and maintenance light comes on. I have taken it to the dealership and another place and no one can find any issues with it. However, my concerns is while I am driving with my children on back road, what happens, if the headlights do not come back on, or being stranded on the side of the road. I realize the car is not new and does now have 155,000 miles, but it is a Honda. This is my 3rd Honda and have never had a complaint with any of them. I just do not know what to do. Well, do I keep it or get rid of it. Or is it just me?

- , Bel Air, MD, USA

Jul 062006

Accord SE

My car will shut off, even when driving, then suddenly come back on again. At times that are random. It did it first 4 months ago, had it repaired(ignition wiring harness) now it's doing it again & they can't find anything wrong with the stupid thing. It will stall the engine sometimes & you have to restart it.

- , Surprise, AZ, USA