CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

6.5

2. Honda issued a recall - covered 100% for 7 years/100k miles (27 reports)
  3. replace the entire CD player radio (11 reports)
  4. call American Honda (1-800-999-1009), ask for goodwill repair (4 reports)
  5. call local honda dealer and mention service bulletin 04-027 (4 reports)
  6. radio removed, LCD replaced, radio re-installed (3 reports)
2003 Honda Accord accessories - interior problems

2003 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Apr 032013

Accord EX V6

Backlight went on on radio. Took to honda to replace.

- , Shelby, NC, USA

Sep 122012

Accord EX V6

The screen for all the displays for the radio, ac,cd player all have gone black. Didn't expect this to happen with a car that was rated so high in consumer reports. If this was the only problem then I probably would not be that concerned. but it is just the beginning.

- , Harrisburg, NC, USA

Mar 012011

Accord EX V6

At the time Honda did not offer a recourse for this problem. I see that Honda now offers to repair the problem. Unfortunately after talking with a Honda representative my car is past the 7 year warranty extension although it is under th 107000 mileage cap. No help here. I am very fed up with Honda. I get in my car, turn the key and see what works .

- , Wilmington, DE, USA

Apr 062012

Accord LX 2.4L

I am in the process of trying to get this fixed....it's time for Honda to stand up to their products......To know that a product is faulty and to still put it out there and then put a limit on time or mileage to repair is pretty low......Honda place's itself above the rest.....until there is a problem.....and if the problem doesn't cause "accidents or deaths" to them it is not a "problem" worth dealing with....You can keep a Honda on the road a long time but what good is it if there are issues Honda won't except responsibility for WHEN THEY HAVE KNOWN THIS HAS BEEN An ISSUE.......Honda....step up and make it right! The consumer has put a trust in you and you keep letting us down.....my passenger seat, empty 99% of the time lights the dashboard with a red light.....the back light no longer works.....overall the car keeps running but what good is a running car with interior issues.......someone please help with any "repair recommendation"....

signed.....loosing faith in Honda

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 212012

Accord EX V6

All over web you'll find numerous complaints about the radio/hvac display motherboard that has a resistor burnout causing digital screen to go blank. Honda Service bulletin 04-027. Honda extened warranty to 7yr 100K for some people. Deals are inconsistent from $1200 new or $300 to $700 repair/rebuild.

- , Upton, MA, USA

Mar 062012

Accord EX V6

Back lighting went out on my 2003 honda accord. No visibility of the HVAC or Radio Controls. Honda told me it would be $320.00 to fix it. If you want you can order the PC board and replace or follow this tutorial and fix it for free. Not sure how long it will last but it seems to be working good so far. Here is a video of what you need to do. 1st step is to get the old radio out. Next

Hope this helps.

- , Lexington, KY, USA

Aug 012011

Accord EX 2.4L

HONDA WILL NOT FIX THIS FOR ME: They KNOW their circuit board was defective, they apparently extended the WARRANTY for those "lucky" enough to have their radio backlight board cook itself into oblivion quickly...but for those like me who were so unfortunate as to have one that held out longer, the 7 YEAR LIMIT (as if this had anything to do with age) kicked in to stop them from doing squat. Why was this not a RECALL? Well, because that only applies to safety or possible loss of life. How about the safety of trying to mess with your radio to tune something in while driving down the highway in traffic with completely blind controls? OK, if not a recall, then why not EXTEND this WARRANTY indefinitely to any unit that fails for this defective board reason, period? Wouldn't THAT be better for customer relations? I mean, if it was wear-and-tear, or abuse related, then I could understand their reluctance, but THIS IS A KNOWN DESIGN DEFECT! My local Honda dealer is a good bunch, and will be taking care of the two actual RECALL items (ignition interlock and wiper motor) that I discovered while looking this up, which Honda never told me about, but they estimated this silly backlighting thing as a "several hundred dollars" issue over the phone. WTH? For what amounts to a 50-cent bit of resistors and capacitors? for "several hundred dollars" you can buy not only an LED backlighting circuit, but a 10" full color backlight with a touch-sensitive screen that connects to the world through wifi, bluetooth, GPS, CDMA, 4G, plays movies & music, and downloads games....oh wait - that's a tablet PC. They want HOW MUCH for what amounts to a fancy LIGHTBULB? Come on Honda, fix this. Or at least offer a $20 do-it-yourself kit with a link to the YouTube video showing How-To.

- , Marion, IL, USA

May 072011

Accord ES 4 Cyc

The back light has been out snf it is annoying. When you are in the car you can not see the radio stations. Honda said it will cost 300.00 to fix.

- , Middlesex, NC, USA

Jul 052011

Accord

Honda had a recall on this defective backlight card replacement. Naturally It was 6 mos or so beyond the warranty period before my card failed @ 32K miles. W/o the card you can't read your ac or radio/cd settings.Paid for the repair out of my own pocket. This and some other quality issues has pretty much closed my door on any future Honda vehicle buys. Too bad, because they were very reliable car since my first purchase in 1987.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 242011

Accord EX 4 cyl

Driving down the road with the radio turned on, when all of a sudden the radio turns off. Not only did the radio stop working, so did the entire screen for the stereo, clock, and climate controls. I was able to retrieve the 6 CDs that were in the disc changer by pressing the eject button, even though the stereo would not play them. I am not sure whether this problem that I have is the same problem as those whose stereo back light goes out??? Does the stereo still play even though the back light does not work? The fuse is good, but when I called Honda they wanted me to bring it to them to diagnose the problem for $95! They also suggested that I purchase an after-market stereo since it would be a lot cheaper than what they would charge to fix it. I would love to buy an after-market stereo so that I can play my IPOD through the car's speakers. However, I really want my climate control screen to work, and buying an after-market stereo will not fix that.

- , Georgetown, KY, USA

May 012011

Accord LX V6

BOO - Honda admits to 2003 radio backlight default...so they give a window to have it repaired. 'certain number of years....certain mileage - WHAT...you know there is a faulty part...why are there any restrictions on owning up to an error? We all make them...we all have to own up to them...with out restriction. If you care about doing the right thing for your customers, you would offer to repair ANY defaults that you have admitted

- , Downingtown, PA, USA

Apr 232011

Accord LX 2.4L

THIS SUCKS!!!! JUST FIX THIS ALREADY HONDA!!!! MY 05 accord has same problem@!

- , Akron, OH, USA

Apr 052011

Accord EX V6

Had the stereo backlight go out just recently. Car's out of warranty and Honda will not provide any assistance with a known issue. Obviously it was a known defect which is why they extended the warranty, but it should have been a recall. I love Honda, but this year and model is a dud. This is just the latest problem. The transmission is the bigger problem. I love my 06 Civic, but I'm about to be in the market for another car because I'm selling this POS and I'm not even looking at Honda this time around. Customer service in getting this one taken care of has been worthless.

- , Cabot, AR, USA

Jun 132006

Accord EX 3.2L V6

Factory Installed Stereo back light went out. Dealer replaced entire unit. Luckily it was still under warranty.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 012008

Accord EX 2.4L

The radio back light just went dead one day. Now if it was only the radio, it would be fine, but all the center console controls (AC, Radio) that light up at night went dead too. This is the kind of thing that should not fail on a vehicle under 100k miles.

- , Bethesda, MD, USA

Jul 052010

Accord EX 2.4L 4 cyl

I have the same problem with the audio/climate controls backlight just stopped illuminating. I received the extended letter notice from Honda in 2007, but I have such a short commute to work, I don't rack up a lot of miles. So, the problem finally occurred in July of 2010. I remembered the letter, went to my local Honda dealership. I had only 95K miles but the warranty had expired in February. I was told there was nothing they could do but they told me to call Honda's customer service line. No luck! Ray, who is also the manager, was NO HELP! He basically told me Honda has done all they are going to do and they are aware of the problem. I even offered to pay half and he was still unwilling to budge. The repair cost about $650. At first I was going to just live with it but after two months, it's kind of annoying. Honda knows about the problem, they should definitely recall the item and fix it. They are doing nothing but losing customers!

- , Lynn, MA, USA

Sep 042010

Accord EX V6

Since I have owned the car since day one. I have had the trans replaced. Seat belt switch replaced, my window switch is shot on my drivers door. The window sometimes goes down and sometimes just clicks. Now the radio counsel lights went out. I have not contacted my Honda guy yet, but from reading all the complaints.....it won't be pretty.

This is my 3rd Honda since 1990. I have had more issues than the 2 prior. I used to LOVE Honda. Now I am thinking it may be time to LOVE another brand.

- , Cedarburg, WI, USA

Oct 132009

Accord LX V6

Circuit board blew out which is a known issue with this card. There is a service bulletin from Honda about it and they extended the warranty on the radio to cover this issue. It's not a recall so be sure to mention it to the dealer since they might try to make you pay for it.

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Nov 102009

Accord EX V6

i love my car but this is really annoying to deal with

- , Hartford, CT, USA

Jun 092010

Accord EX V6

Radio back light went out and no longer covered under extended warranty (and they won't provide me with a good will repair). Honda dealer can't fix in-house because Honda WON'T provide them the part (circut board) if it is out of warranty. They suggested I either get a new radio or they could send out and would take ~4weeks to be repaired...I'm in my car about 2hrs a day and can't imagine being without a radio for 4 weeks. Rediculous! Honda makes a bum radio and their dealer's aren't able to fix if out of warranty.

Lucky me, was also hit by their bum transmission, which I had to replace at 100k miles. Used to be a loyal honda customer, but don't forsee another honda in my future...

- , New York, NY, USA