CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

2003 Honda Accord drivetrain problems

2003 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 11 of 16)

Mar 072012

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission suddenly downshifts without warning. I was driving on the highway at 63mph and my car suddenly downshifted to 1st gear causing me to hit the steering wheel and bleed profusely from my face. The car behind me almost hit me. Now my car has serious problems between 2nd and 3rd gear and is downshifting randomly. I am not the only one with this issue, there should be a recall for this. I could have died because of this, the worst part is that Honda knows about this problem and wont help save lives. Shame on you Honda. Many other people are having the same exact transmission problem and it seems quite widespread. Perhaps Honda will get involved once enough people die, and it will be cheaper to replace all of these faulty transmissions vs. All of the money people get from lawsuits. Or possibly Honda will value lives over profits, but im not going to hold my breath.

- Clarksburg, MD, USA

Mar 072012

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission down shifts from 4th gear to 1st gear abruptly and will not re-engage 4th gear until I turn the car off and back on. This occurred today on my way home on the highway. After turning the car off and back on, it happen 2 more times before I got off the highway and went home on 1st gear locally. I came real close to being rear ended a truck due to the sudden downshift of the transmission.

- New York, NY, USA

Oct 172011

Accord 6-cyl

The transmission on the Honda Accord V-6 went out at 115,000 miles. The car had been slipping out of gear and was causing problems while driving that made it very unsafe. We were afraid to drive it for fear of it not running as we accelerated.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Mar 062012

Accord 6-cyl

While driving on I-4 cars begun to accelerate by itself and them decelerate, keep doing this for 30 second, I stopped on the side turn of the car. Again turn on keep going and it happened again., Honda Accord 3.0 V6 2003.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 022012

Accord 6-cyl

Car just would not engage in a forward gear on the highway. The engine just revved and would not move into gear. There was no warning. Very dangerous.

- Lynbrook, NY, USA

Aug 012010

Accord

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated when driving at any speed and would exhibit a grinding noise. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and a diagnostic was performed, but the dealer was unable to generate a failure code. The dealer also test drove the vehicle but the failure could not be to duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 93,000 and the current mileage 108,000.

- Maumee , OH, USA

Feb 182012

Accord

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Accord. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle began to decelerate and jerk abnormally. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic advised that the transmission would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Preston, MD, USA

Jan 122012

Accord 6-cyl

I was driving approximately 30mph on a long straight road when for no reason the car started downshifting on it's own. The vehicle lurched. I came to a stop and while I was braking, the car suddenly stopped on it's own as if I slammed on the brakes. I stopped at a light, and then turned onto a side road. I was driving approximately 20mph when the car started downshifting on it's own again. I pulled over to the side of the road and once again, the car stopped suddenly as if I slammed on the brakes. After a few days at a personal mechanic, it was decided that the vehicle should be taken to a Honda dealership. Personal mechanic stated he at one point took my vehicle out on a side road where the vehicle suddenly went into a neutral speed and lost power. While on the freeway driving around 50mph to the dealership, car downshifted on it's own causing me to almost get rear ended. I pulled off freeway and came to a stop on the side of the road. Once again, the car came to a quick sudden stop as if I slammed on the brakes. Once at the Honda dealership, test were ran and it was decided the vehicle had transmission failure and the transmission needed to be replaced. They quoted me $4500 for repairs. Ended up calling Honda customer service, they were willing to only cover $1100. I ended up with a total bill of $3406.26.

- Union City, CA, USA

Aug 252010

Accord 6-cyl

I was driving at 65mph on the freeway when the transmission failed and the car shifted into a lower gear causing immediate deceleration of the vehicle. Since the initial incident back in August 2010, the vehicle has only be driven 8 miles and each time someone dares to "test it out" it only takes a few miles before the vehicle is lurching and the driver is fearing for their life. This problem is real and if it hasn't already it will eventually result in someone(s) losing life or limb.

- Vacaville , CA, USA

Jan 052012

Accord

2003 Honda Accord. First transmission began to slip at 50,000 miles. Took to dealer for evaluation and was told nothing was wrong. About a week later, driving on West side highway going from brooklyn to home in NJ. Transmission failed and finally got it into first gear. Brought to dealer and transmission replaced at 50,000 miles. It was still under warranty at this time and did not have to pay anything. At 108,000 miles again I felt the transmission start to slip. Again, brought to Mahwah Honda and told that there was nothing wrong. One week later, driving on major highway in NJ (route 17 South) the transmission failed. Luckily, at cars going 60 mph around me I was able to coast into a parking lot and not get rear ended or in an accident. Car was flat bed trucked to dealer. When we discussed the issues we knew that Honda 2003 Accord/transmissions were having, they ignored the comments. This was now the third transmission for the car, the original, the replacement at 50,000 miles and the event that just occurred. They did not want to hear anything of it. In the end, the "deal" they gave was to pay close to $3000 for the transmission (they gave a 20% discount, how kind). The service was awful. As a life long Honda customer with at least 25 years of Honda cars, I will never go back. What a shame that Honda will not live up to their prior great reputation and back up the cars and obvious defect that could have killed me driving. Shame on Honda.

- Washington Township, NJ, USA

Feb 072012

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission began shifting with a "clunk, " then began shifting erratically. Reverse would not work at all. Transmission replaced 2-15-2012 by omega Honda of fremont, ca.

- Union City, CA, USA

Feb 062012

Immature transmission failure!

- Galena, OH, USA

Feb 132012

Accord

Transmission is slipping between 1st and 2nd gears and after car is warm transmission hesitates from dead start. I have looked online only to find out that there are hundreds of complaints and this is definitely a safety concern, the NHTSA is failing it seems in their responsibility to address this recurring malfunction, I only hope that the death as a result of this situation that finally causes a recall is not one of my family members.

- Monticello, GA, USA

Dec 012011

Transmission problems.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Jan 152012

Accord 6-cyl

The car would not accelerate beyond 10 mph but occasionally jerking forward as the car struggled to shift gears. I was on a road with a speed limit of 35 mph, and fortunately I was able to move the car into a nearby parking lot where the car completely stalled. I shut off the engine after briefly smelling a burning smell. I was able to start the car again and take side roads to get home. We took the car in for servicing and were told it was an issue with the speed sensor. $259 and two days later we were driving along a local highway with a speed limit of 40 mph when the car again jerked through gears and barely moving. Snow was falling, and visibility was limited. With hazard lights on, several cars came within feet of rear-ending us as the roads were slick and we were not able to fully get into the median. Again, a burning smell prompted us to shut off the engine. About 20 minutes later we were able to start the car and drive it down the median at about 5 mph as the engine continued to jerk through gears.

- Libertyville, IL, USA

Dec 282011

Accord 6-cyl

My 2003 Honda Accord had a transmission failure at 52,000 miles. Car also diagnosed with power steering rack failure. Car has been serviced exclusively at the dealership where it was purchased. All maintenance done at recommended intervals. Service department has been given carte blanche to repair/replace any part over the last 8 years. This should not happen. Very disappointing.

- Cooper City, FL, USA

Dec 292011

Accord

While driving at highway speeds, my 2003 Honda Accord slammed into a lower gear causing the car to almost come to a stop instantly. The car behind me had to slam on the breaks and swerve onto the shoulder to avoid hitting me. The car will no longer shift into reverse or any gear higher than 2nd.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Oct 272010

Accord 6-cyl

In early October of 2010 our 2003 Honda Accord ex V6 was driving at about 40 mph, suddenly, it downshifted in the middle of traffic, almost coming to a complete stop, and the car was almost rear-ended. When looked at bythe local Honda dealership the tech said the transmission was fine. A few weeks later the car did it again only at higher speed this time. The car has been parked for over a year because we are afraid to drive it, and we do not know whether to invest the money to fix it, or if it is defect from the factory. I found the information for this website on the following thread: www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2003/transmission/unintended_downshift.shtml.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Dec 272011

Accord 6-cyl

The car wont shift out of first gear. Mechanic says torque converter is broken. This seems to be a problem with this car.

- Mansfield, MA, USA

Dec 272011

Accord 6-cyl

The transmission has been slipping on and off for 2 weeks until last night, when it failed completely. I noticed it shift into a lower gear when I let my foot off the gas, and then it would not engage any gears. I had it towed to a nearby transmission shop who confirmed that the transmission had failed and would need to be replaced. Failure happened at 8 years and 114,000 miles.

- Zionsville, IN, USA