CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

2003 Honda Accord drivetrain problems

2003 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 16)

Dec 022013

Accord

My transmission and torque converter failed on brownsville road. I called Honda who refused any type of assistance. They said it was out of warranty. I have had numerous cars in my life and never heard of the transmission dying. It seems, as I check the internet, that the Honda Accord V-6 has a history of transmission failures. To date, Honda refuses to acknowledge that issue.

- Trevose, PA, USA

Mar 232013

Vehicle slams into 3rd gear, or slips out of gear, locked up one tie

- Sunrise, FL, USA

May 052015

Accord 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway at 60 mph, all the sudden, it violently down shifted, felt like I was rear ended. As I let up the gas, the engine would rev but not engage the transmission. Luckily no other cars were behind me at the time. When I got to the office, the car would not go into reverse.

- Carroll, OH, USA

Mar 182011

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission failure. Had to have transmission rebuilt in 2011 at 153K miles. Now at 200K miles I am having transmission problems again.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 012015

Accord 4-cyl

I was driving southbound in peabody, Massachusetts on 128 almost on to 95 when at centennial drive exit when my vehicle, without warning, slowed from 60 mph to 30 mph, I put on hazards as car went from 30 mph to 10 mph to dead all in a matter of 45 seconds tops. It was around 12pm and traffic was moderate to heavy. Cars behind me were forced to slow at a significant rate, luckily a pile up did not occur as the likelihood of such a accident was extremely possible with one driver not fully present I don't want to imagine the possibilities. I was able to semi slide car into breakdown lane safely enough and aaa came 1 hour latter as they listed my call a priority call.. I had car towed to home town and mechanic went through car in its entirety to discover that transmission needed to be replaced. Honda is well aware of this issue as there are thousands of testimonies from Honda owners regarding their transmission problems occurring around 126,213 miles. The models with faulty transmissions are 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009.

- Gloucester, MA, USA

Apr 052015

Accord 4WD 4-cyl

I have piece of crap people calls Honda I call today 04/07/2015 visibility problem windshield wiper and headlamps low I can't see night time during drive and transmission is skip but piece of crap(Honda) customer said you no have recall or warranty that's really mess I got mistake to buy piece of crap(Honda) please please please I suggest don't buy that like piece of crap( Honda) thanks

- Springfield , MA, USA

Mar 022015

Accord

2003 Honda Accord. Consumer writes in regards to transmission issues. The consumer stated the vehicle would not go in reverse and the RPM would only run at 3,000.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 122015

Accord

I came to a stop at a busy intersection. When the light turned green, I started up, taking a right turn, and the engine went into high rpms and loud clinking noises started. I stopped immediately and was almost rear-ended in the intersection. Put the car in park, but new noises started, tried L1, same thing. Had to turn the car off and leave it at the intersection with hazard lights on, but cars still were almost rear-ending me. Tow truck came 1.25 hours later. Harrowing experience being stuck out there in that intersection! auto repair shop called and said the entire transmission has failed and I need a new one. Now I can't get to/from school! I've read the 2003 Accord has a huge problem with transmissions, so I guess I'm unfortunately in that group as well. Another dead Honda.

- North Reading, MA, USA

Feb 252015

Accord 6-cyl

The first incident happened when I was slowing down for a stop sign. At about 45 mph the car suddenly downshifted. The rpms registered approx. 5000 then returned to around 2000. I turned and while accelerating to highway speed, the car downshifted then corrected 3 times. I parked on the shoulder, shut the car off, then on again. I proceeded with no further issues. The next day, Feb 26, 2015, the car downshifted at approx. 45 mph then corrected. Each time the rpms jumped to approx. 5000 before settling back to approx. 2000. This happened a couple more times. Later the same day, I was on the freeway driving on cruise control at approx. 65 mph when the car downshifted then corrected. This happened again a couple minutes later. I parked on the shoulder, shut the car off, then turned it back on. I did not have another incident driving to my destination. Feb 27th, I headed to my final destination. About 150 miles into my trip, I was slowing down on the freeway for a slower car in front, when my car downshifted then corrected. This same situation happened three more times before getting to my home. At no time did any diagnostic lights illuminate. I have not contacted the dealer yet, as they are closed today. After reading multiple reports about this incident I do not have confidence that Honda will work to resolve this potentially dangerous issue.

- Sutherlin, OR, USA

Jun 292012

Automatic transmission problems.

- Fayettevielle, GA, USA

Feb 122015

Accord

I was getting off the off ramp at about 35mph taking a right turn when the transmission made a jerking motion and slipped. I let off the accel and applied the accel a couple times before it engaged again got to my destination went shopping. Went to leave and I had no reverse. Shifted threw the gears nothing. I turned the car off and on to find the I could now back up. I put the car into drive to find out the car would only drive in first gear on drive. It would not shift gears. I have my car parked till I figure out what to do and how this issue can be resolved. I called Honda but they where no help and want me to spend money that I don't have to figure it out and fix the issue.

- Auburn, CA, USA

Feb 112015

Accord

I'm the original owner of the vehicle, and have always used Honda for service and maintenance of my vehicle. The transmission failed without warning. Thankfully, I wasn't driving in the highway because this could have caused a major accident. My car basically came to a stop when the transmission failed.

- Hawthorne, CA, USA

Aug 262014

Accord

I started to use the Honda around 2008 for work. It's mileage was about 25000 miles due to the use of a second family car at the time. I have an extensive record of maintaining my Honda with a local Honda dealership since I purchased an extended warranty that expired in April 2014. On Aug 26, 2014 I left my work and entered the freeway ramp at about 30 mph ready to accelerate and merge with traffic. The car started hesitating and the rpms would race without the car picking up speed. Concerned about the cars behind me and making a very fast decision to move right as fast as I could without getting rear ended, I managed to exit the freeway to a right off ramp. I experienced the same RPM acceleration a week or two prior to this incident, but I thought I had just hit the gas peddle in a strange way while driving. I exited the freeway and drove home. When I arrived by my home 10 minutes later, the car stopped accelerating and I drifted into a parking space on the side of my house. A family member helped me straighten out the car in two moves after I placed it in neutral. I ended up towing the car to my local dealership who diagnosed it as aa broke transmission. The Honda was purchased brand new, I'm the only owner and it was bought because of it's reliability, reputation and quality in general..

- Kapolei, HI, USA

Jan 152015

Accord 6-cyl

I recently purchased the 2003 Honda Accord for travel. After purchasing the vehicle I noticed that the check engine light was on. The mechanic told me that there was a torque converter that needed to be replaced. After doing additional research I found that other Honda owners had this same issue. My car rumbles when driving through residential areas. When I try to enter my VIN number in to see if my car is eligible it won't come up, but I'm definitely experiencing the transmission slipping in specific gears.

- Missouri City , TX, USA

Mar 072013

Accord

Informed kolbe Honda that my transmission was slipping back on 9/2/2004 and again on 11/9/2010. The service department claims there is nothing wrong with my transmission. I have paperwork stating the dates and complaints about my transmission. The Honda dealerships claimed there was nothing wrong with my transmission. At this time, my car was still under warranty. On 3/7/2013. Is when I almost died on the freeway when my car just slowed down to a crawl in the middle lane while cars were driving 60-65 miles per hour. I thought my life was over at this time. I was able to get onto the right shoulder and was in shock. I telephoned my husband to come to my rescue, then we crawled the car into Honda. After bringing my car back two different times to see why the car was still not running, the second time Honda told me that I need a transmission. I purchased a rebuilt transmission for $3051, as Honda did nothing to help me out. My car has been impeccably maintained. I almost lost my life for Honda not paying attention to me complaining about my transmission slipping from 2004. I often have my grandchildren in my car and was thankful that I was the only one in the car this day. I believe that Honda totally ignored me and probably a lot more people with the same problem. As of today, I still fear driving my car on the freeways and I stay in the right lane only in the event this happens again. I am a senior citizen and feel that I was taken advantage of. There is no reason why I had to spend $3051 to put a transmission that should have been replaced by Honda. I would appreciate some information back. I am still using my car as I cannot afford to purchase another car.

- Newbury Park, CA, USA

Jan 012015

Accord

2003 Honda Accord. Consumer states car stopped while driving due to transmission failure. The consumer stated the vehicle just stopped. It would not go forward, made noises and at times hesitated. The problem was diagnosed as a faulty torque converter solenoid. The consumer drove the vehicle for one week, when the problem returned. The dealer informed the consumer, the transmission needed to be replaced at a cost of $5400. The consumer took the vehicle to a repair shop, where the transmission was replaced for $3,000.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Dec 162014

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission just downshift to first gear while driving in the highway. Almost got rear end really bad.

- West Roxbury, MA, USA

Dec 052014

Accord 6-cyl

The transmission slips into 1st gear has a burnt rubber smell in fluid. I had recall complete and still have problem!

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Nov 192014

Accord 6-cyl

As driving along normally, the car started to downshift and rev up very high, sudden drop of speed came and the car behind me almost rear ended me. When checked online, it was the transmission that has failed and it has happened to everyone who owned this year model.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 172014

Accord

I purchased my 2003 Accord brand new from a Honda dealership. In 2004 there was a recall to fix a defect with second gear in the transmission. My car was fixed under the recall (or so I thought). I have been having continuous problems with second gear slipping. In other words when the car is in second gear it feels like its in neutral because you step on the gas and the car does not move. You have to wait for the car to shift again. You never know when or where it will happen. On 11/17/14 I was trying to get on the highway. I made a left turn to enter the highway when the second gear slipped. My car was stuck under a traffic light when the traffic light changed from green to red. Oncoming traffic was approaching my vehicle at 65-70mph. I was almost broad sided. Honda knows about this defect and will not replace the transmission in my car. There have been several class action lawsuits against Honda for this problem. I believe this is a serious safety issue not just for me because I own the car, but for anyone who is operating a vehicle on the roadways. Honda should be held accountable for this defect. I also have a takata airbag which is not subject to the recall. So I have 2 problems, the defect with the transmission puts me at a higher risk for getting into and accident. If I am in an accident and the airbag goes off, I could be injured and/or killed by the airbag. How can Honda get away with this?

- Marlborough, CT, USA