CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.

6.0

2. replace timing belt tensioner (1 reports)
  3. replaced under warranty (1 reports)
2004 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Accord:

2004 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Dec 052012

Accord EX 2.4L

I took valve cover off to check lifters (had developed a little rattle an was running like $h!t!) So I checked all the lifters they seemed pretty good none very loose and none that were stuck, But I'm not done have it all apart. I just haven't had the time to finish but next week I'm gonna. k so feel really good that their not Bent? I will update this when I'm done ..

- , lawrence, MA, USA

Oct 022006

Accord EX

My car began making an intermittent loud fluttering type noise. It sounds similar to a noise that would occur if you stuck a pencil or some other hard object into the blades of an oscillating fan while it was running. Eventually the car also started idling strangely like it was going to stall. I took the car to the dealer that I bought it from and they could not find anything wrong. They kept looking and summed it up to a lose part which they said they tightened. The car began making the noise again shortly after I left the dealership. I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!!

- , Denton, TX, USA

Dec 202005

Accord EX

Excessive noise and loose belts

- , Harleysville, PA, USA