CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.

1.6

2004 Honda Accord lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Accord:

2004 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 012016

Accord

The panel lights on the radio has went out. I can't recall if it happened while I was driving or not, but I noticed it while driving. In the 2004 Honda Accord, the ac, radio, & clock share the same display. It was raining the other night while I was driving and my windows fogged up. It was impossible to find the defrost button at night since all the display lights stop working. This is a big safety issue and hopefully Honda will step up to the plate and fix this issue to ensure their customers are safe while driving their vehicles.

- Thomasville, NC, USA

Dec 222015

Accord

The headlights flicker between normal output and dim output making it very difficult to verify if the headlights are even operational at times much less see in front of you while driving. It looks as if the headlights are rapidly turning off and on. This has been happening since the car was brand new but every time it's taken to a Honda dealership, they don't know what the issue is. I have paid hundreds and hundreds of dollars repairing random things Honda "thinks" might fix the problem but it's still a major issue that affects safety of the Honda driver, passengers and other drivers on the road.

- Goodlettsville, TN, USA

Dec 012015

Accord

Clock, radio, ac lighting panel went out and did not come on when ignition was turned on. No display.

- Arapahoe, NC, USA

Jan 132015

Accord

The unit lights behind the radio knobs, A/C functions etc. Has gone out. It is a consistent issure with these Honda's. Honda is requiring almost a $1000 to fix. Read the customers reviews online..its a common issue.

- Macon, GA, USA

Jun 192015

Accord

The control panel for the heating ac and defroster is not lighting up. Cannot see when the car fogs up !

- Columbia, SC, USA

Feb 122015

Accord 6-cyl

The display where the heater and radio is does not light up, we just purchased this veh 2/12/15... I tried to drive it last night and it's a safety issue after dark, U can't see to turn knobs/buttons or any thing to do w/the heater....U have to turn overhead done lights on to see the buttons, it's very dangerous.

- Pomeroy , OH, USA

Feb 022009

Accord

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the low beam, high beam and fog lights became dim. The failure was recurring and the instrument panel and radio lighting would also sporadically fail. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop where it was indicated that the eld device in the fuse box needed to be replaced. The vehicle was also taken to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the fuse box needed to be replaced. The vehicle was to be inspected and repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40000.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

May 222013

Accord 6-cyl

Car just shut off when I stepped on the brake. Had to restart the car and it ran fine until I hit the brakes again. Now it shuts off or stalls whenever I use the brakes, turn signals, head lights, and high beam lights. Check engine light will flash rapidly and go out sometimes.

- Holly Springs, MS, USA

Jan 032013

Accord 6-cyl

Low beam headlights wont work, systemic problem with Honda Motors 2003-2004 product line, many Pilot and civics recalled but not Accord. Must use same parts and engineering.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jan 032010

Accord 6-cyl

Light display went out that controls radio and HVAC components 2 years ago. Dark at night when driving and when the windows get fogged up you can not see the switch to turn on defrost because the printed circuit board has stopped working, so it requires you to turn on interior light to find the defrost button, this is very dangerous while driving at night. After researching last night I found Honda extended the warranty on this until 2011 or 100,000. So I called Honda and I was told I'm past the warranty it's whichever comes first (I never received a letter from Honda or it would have went in to get fixed) this in my opinion should be covered by the dealer as it could cause a fatality with someone fumbling with the interior lights just to get the defrost buttons on.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Apr 202010

Accord 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway with rain, and the whole front panel (where the stereo, A/C, emergency light, went off. As I was tryng to find the emergency light( cause I was going slow in the rain and fix the temp. To clear de window I almost crash with another car. This shoul be taken more serious. I called and Honda said I was out of warranty. Ive been going to the dealer and they want me to pay almost a $1000, I called Honda customer service and they insist I ve benn out of warranty.this afect the concentration and visibility on the car.I've been reading and its a common problem on this model.

- Harbor City, CA, USA

Jun 012011

Accord 4-cyl

Major electrical problems began about 2 years ago. Radio display won't light, but radio/cd still plays; air conditioner cools intermittently, though compressor is working and freon is adequate; tail lights sometimes work, sometimes don't; ignition switch makes a noise as though the engine was already started when I turned the key, even though it wasn't - eventually the ignition switch had to be replaced (problem still occurs from time to time); brake calipers have always pulsed no matter how slow I come to a stop; and airbag light comes on for no apparent reason as there is not hindrance to the sensor switch mechanism below the seats.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jun 012011

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Sep 212011

Accord 4-cyl

My radio and A/C display went out. I have to turn on my interior lights at night to adjust the temperature in my car. It is extremely dangerous if my windows get foggy and I cannot fix it without pulling off of the road. This car needs to be recalled. I should not have to pay $1000 for a problem that all of these models are having.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Dec 292011

Accord 4-cyl

For no fault on my part, radio lcd clock light stop working. This should be a recall, it is happening to all 2003 to 2007 cars.

- Reading, PA, USA

Aug 172011

Accord 4WD 6-cyl

I have no lights in the top of the car; A/C lights nor A/C work and the door lights. I feel very unsafe not being able to see when I get in or out of my vehicle. The seat belt tightens up whether brakes are applied or not. Not having any dash lights are essential to the safety of any vehicle. Want assist!!!!!!!!!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Mar 152012

Accord

Radio display lights are out. The panel is completely dark. The A/C-heat controls, clock, radio are all displayed on this panel. This will not let me leave the failed components in the box and won't send the message....

- Odessa, TX, USA

Mar 202012

Accord 6-cyl

The lights on the radio and ac pannel do not work, the lcd does not display the radio stations or the ac temperatures.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 112012

Accord 4-cyl

The display light on the radio went out and I cannot see to turn other items on at night, ie air/heat/ etc. When I looked on line I found a number of complaints about the same issue. This is a safety concern. Has there been an official recall?

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 012011

Accord 4-cyl

All lights of display box (for radio, A/C, audio, car info, temperature, clock, etc), display panel, and backlights of all switches on that box, such as heater on/off, A/C, front and rear defroster, temperature, and all controls about electronics, are gone, I.e. not displayed. Functions are working but backlight isn't working. It is a serious problem for safety. For example, in the night when you drive highway, you can't find the defroster switch to turn on to remove fog of rear window. You can't adjust the channel at the night when you need to hear emergency radio channel. No info about car at all. Honda admitted that it had a problem and so they extended the warrant period, but this problem appeared irregularly. For me, just after passing the warrant period they said (100K). It should be recalled. I found a lot of complaints and same issues in the internet. Please investigate and ask Honda to fix this problem whatever their warrant period. Thank you for your effort!

- Princeton, NJ, USA