CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.

2004 Honda Accord seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Accord:

2004 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Oct 082008

Accord

I have complained to Honda about my transmission slipping, almost stalling out and then taking a huge jerk...it normally happens when letting up off my gas...this has been ongoing for almost 2 years; last night I had the ride of my life in only a matter of seconds! I was stopping by the bank to get cash from the atm; as I let up off my gas, the car did a hard jerk and jumped the sidewalk hitting the corner of the bank. I'm so glad no one was using the atm at this time. My airbag never deployed and my seat belt released for me to get out but now it is jammed and will not pull out enough for me to wear it! with all the complaints I've found that are very similar to mine going back as early as 2003, I really feel that Honda should take these complaints more serious and that they should be held responsible for repairing the issue and any damages incurred due to the issue. I am a nervous wreck and I hope no one will experience what I just went through. There should be a thorough investigation requiring Honda to fix this problem.

- Durham, NC, USA

Sep 172007

Accord 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Accord. While pulling into a parking space, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and jumped over two curbs and a bush. The vehicle finally came to a stop when it crashed into a parked vehicle. The contact had her foot on the brake pedal during the acceleration. The air bags failed to deploy. The occupant seated in the passenger seat sustained lower back injuries because the seat belt failed to restrain the passenger and the contact. The vehicle is currently being repaired at a body shop and will be taken to the Honda dealer to be diagnosed. Police report number 07171505 was filed with the cochie county sheriff's department. The speed was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 39,000. The consumer stated the air bag light had illuminated, however there was no air bag deployment. Updated 10/10/07.

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA