CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Honda Accord suffers from transmission failure. It's not a huge widesperad problem like in prior years, but definitely still something to consider.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.

2005 Honda Accord brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Accord:

2005 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Mar 152006

Accord

My car is not equipped with stability control, but it does have traction control, which can be disabled by a switch on the left end of the dashboard. The traction control seems to work well at speeds above 30 mph, but when starting out, if the car hits a slippery patch, instead of pulsing the brakes to keep the wheels from spinning, as the Chrysler lhs I owned previously did, it simply gives up, cutting most of the engine power, leaving the car unable to go more than 2 or 3 mph. This is extremely dangerous when crossing intersections with stop signs and can even create a hazard when the intersection is controlled by a stop light. It can be avoided by disabling the traction control system before hand, but the disable button won't work if unless the car is at a complete stop, creating a panic situation if the system kicks in unexpectedly. No car should be allowed on the road with a system like this, but my understanding is that a number of other makes exhibit the same behavior, possibly due to a common vendor. There are traffic deaths due to improperly timed intersection crossings every day, and given the behavior of systems like this, I find it hard to believe that no deaths have resulted from it. I've been lucky enough to recognize the system's bad behavior and disable it more often than I would have to disable a properly designed system; the average driver should not be faced with such a burden. Please take action against all of the companies that allowed a system like this to get onto our roads. Please note that I listed the "date of incident" as the first occurrence I recall, because a date was required, but this has been happening, and I have been taking precautions to avoid it, from the time I got the car in 2006 up to now. Thank you.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Aug 092012

Accord

I were driving on freeway 405 near ucla at 55mph. There was a completed flat tire on my left front wheel of Honda Accord 2005. I felt the flat tire and see the ABS light on my dash board turned on. After complete flat tire, the tire debris rip off my ABS sensor wire for the left front wheel. My rim has no damage. Since my tire is only a few months old, so I get free replacement from costco. I think the Honda has a bad design on the ABS sensor wire to my left front wheel. The ABS sensor wire is not properly covered. The flat tire debris ripped off the ABS sensor wire. Contact Honda customer service about this. They said it is not their issue. I think a properly design car should not have anything rip off when a complete flat tire happened. Honda should have covered the ABS wire more effectively.

- Canyon Country, CA, USA

Jan 112011

Accord

I previously drove my aunt's 2005 Honda Accord hybrid on several occasions. Almost as soon as the vehicle was purchased, on more than one occasion, the brakes failed and caused accidents. The accelerator would also accelerate on its own. The car would simply speed up on its own. The car would also at times stop or turn off on its own. I assumed because the car was a hybrid or different that it was normal. At times when accidents would occur, I couldn't believe what had happened. The car literally drove away. A few times others drove the car and mentioned the same. My aunt previously tried trading in the vehicle, but it was too expensive to trade in. On January 11,2011. A fatal accident occurred while driving this vehicle. My mother, whom is a precautious driver was driving my cousin to school and were involved in a fatal car accident. The Honda struck a school bus right in the middle. I believe the car like on many other occasions accelerated on its own or the brakes failed. I feel devastated that I have lost my mother and cousin because of this accident, but feel that my mother was not at fault. She was always a safe driver and in this case I believe the vehicle was at fault.

- El Paso, TX, USA