CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Honda Accord suffers from transmission failure. It's not a huge widesperad problem like in prior years, but definitely still something to consider.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.

2005 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Accord:

2005 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 192015

Accord

I was leaving a store on hull St. And my car was at about 40 mph and all of a sudden stopped moving and I felt that it was something bad so I cut the car off and restarted my car and it started up nicely once I switched gears from park to reverse the car didn't move. So I went to put car into park and there was a really loud noise which scared me crazy. I cut the car back off and it began to roll backwards in the park gear so I had to put the car emergency break on to keep in place. Monday morning which I'd today I get my car towed to aamco and they diagnostic my car as a shaft failure which had broken which caused the car to make the loud noise when placed in the park gear and the car doesn't realize which gear it's in because it is broken inside the transmission

- Richmond , VA, USA

Jul 012015

Accord

Was driving on highway in traffic and car would not shift gears, car was jumping forward and would not accelerate as traffic sped up. Was able to get car off the highway, but got stuck at a red light, when attempting to accelerate forward, car went backwards.

- Towson, MD, USA

Dec 212014

Accord 6-cyl

This is the second time that this vehicle causes an accident due to involuntary acceleration defect. I was coming to a complete stop to park the car when all of a sudden it accelerated on its own and sped into a building. First it hit an iron bench pushing it into the wall. The car missed hitting a young mother and her four little kids by mere seconds. My insurance company sent one of their own adjusters to inspect the damages, and determined that the car should be repaired. In the meantime the people at the body shop where the car was towed to kept telling me that the car was not safe to be put on the road again. I pleaded with my insurer to have it totaled as I was too afraid to drive it again after two accidents, and my conscience did not allow me to sell the car after the repairs putting somebody else in same kind of danger. I also called Honda, but their reply was that Honda was not going to do anything about it. Honda folks were even annoyed that I called them saying that my insurer was the one to contact them through the proper channels. Finally my insurance agreed to total the car. However, I saw that the car was sold to an auction dealer listing it as "salvage title/rebuildable." The car is for sale again stating that it will cost $4,872 to fix it. My insurance company increased my premiums considerably considering me the party at fault. I ask NHTSA to act quickly to stop this unsafe and unfair practice.....updated 08/20/15 updated 9/30/2015

- Valrico, , FL, USA

May 312015

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while slowing down to approximately 5 mph, there was a sudden increase of engine rpms. The driver was able to park the vehicle. However, the shifter became stuck and could not be switched out of the park position. After approximately 3 minutes, the rpms reduced and the driver was able the change the shifter. The vehicle was not diagnose or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Oakdale, CT, USA

Nov 132006

Accord

With in the first year of owning our Honda, the clutch went out. We paid $2700 to dealership to replace the entire assembly. Ever since then the clutch or related parts such as the master cylinder goes out suddenly every 12 months.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 182013

Accord 4-cyl

On several occasions I've experienced my car pulling itself to drive forward when I am at a complete stop.

- Sun Valley, CA, USA

Mar 212014

Accord 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated and when she depressed the accelerator pedal the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 55,500. Updated 06/10/14 MA the consumer stated she paid for a re-built transmission and torque converter. Updated 07/23/14

- Pittsburg , PA, USA

Oct 122013

Accord 6-cyl

Accelerator jammed in cement garage causing car to hit the wall of the garage at very high speed and severely damaging the front of the car (essentially totaling the car).

- Merion, PA, USA

Jul 282013

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated the vehicle abnormally accelerated and crashed into the contact's home. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the neck, back, arm and leg. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to an auto body shop. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 134,000.

- Dallas, PA, USA

Aug 102013

Accord

Unintended acceleration with car going out of control on the highway and the car failing to slow down after pressing on the brake. Most terrifying experience of my life.

- Hummelstown, PA, USA

Jul 082013

Accord

Car details: - 05 Accord SE coupe with ~65K miles (automatic transmission, 4 cylinder) recently, I have noticed that the car will not accelerate even when I keep pushing the gas pedal. Typically happens at around 50 to 60 mph marker (the mph needle will just stall at one location and not move). I have to tap the brake lightly a couple of times or let the car coast down without giving it any gas (it kind of releases whatever is holding the car from accelerating and releases the mph needle). I then accelerate the car again and it will go higher than 60 mph. Keeps happening often (not every time though). My gas mileage is lower which confirms that something is happening. This is a serious safety issue on highways. I am not sure if this is related to all the transmission failure issues that Honda Accord continue to see on models manufactured in the mid 2000S.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 172013

Accord 4-cyl

I was driving on interstate 20/59 near ft. Payne, Alabama with the cruise control set on 75 mph. I changed lanes to pass a slower car but did not touch the gas pedal. The car started to accelerate on its own. I tapped the breaks to turn cruise control off but the car continued to accelerate without touching the gas pedal. The acceleration was not a full throttle acceleration, just a moderate increase. I then shifted the car from drive to neutral and the RPM's jumped up to redline, again without touching the gas pedal. Luckily, a rest area was approaching and I managed to pull the car into the rest area parking lot playing with the drive/neutral of the transmission and using the brakes. Once I made it to a parking space I turned the car off and shifted it into park. I waited a few seconds and turned the car back on. The RPM's again jumped up to redline without me touching the gas pedal. I shut the car off again and put my foot underneath the gas pedal and pulled up. I cranked the car again and it acted normal. I checked under the hood and everything looked fine. After some deliberation, we decided to continue on our trip and the car was fine for the next 4.5 hours. We drove back Sunday, May 19 and the car again drove fine for 6.5 hours and hasn't had a problem since. The morning before the incident, I changed the alternator and oil. I strongly believe that this had nothing to do with the alternator or oil change. Also, I doubled checked the carpet mat in the car and it was not even close to the gas pedal. I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem with a Honda Accord. I am a mechanical engineer and I am dumbfounded by this. Being in a car with uncontrollable acceleration is quite unnerving.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

Apr 102013

Accord 6-cyl

My brother was driving our car on the 278-bqe in brooklyn, NY. The RPM on the car suddenly went to 7000 RPM and then the car started to decelerate. The car would not accelerate and it ended stopping on the express lane on the highway. He had the hazard lights on but cars were still coming at 60-70 mph, many barely missing the car as they swerved into the next lane. We took the car to the mechanic and though the car only has 78K miles on it, he said that the transmission is dead. Everything else was in order in terms of fluids. I took a look at carcomplaints.com and there are 43 complaints on this exact issues of 2005 Honda Accord owners with 60-80K miles on their car.

- New York, NY, USA

Nov 282012

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving approximately 3 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact was able to stop the failure by depressing the brakes. The contact powered off and restarted the vehicle, and the vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic advised the contact that the idle air control valve needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised that there were no recalls. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 123,000 and the current mileage was 123,993.

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Nov 132012

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph uphill, the vehicle suddenly accelerated independently reaching speeds over 100 mph. The contact was able to slow the vehicle down by shifting into neutral and engaging the brakes. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was not able to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 110,000.....updated 12/20/12 the consumer stated middle town Honda replaced the throttle body. That is what caused the cable to get stuck. They did not repair any of the brakes or emergency brake. They claimed that is was normal wear. He consumer found 32 incidents of vehicles with the same problem. Updated 12/28/212

- Middletown , NY, USA

Nov 072012

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph the vehicle suddenly accelerated without the accelerator pedal being engaged. The contact was able to stop the vehicle by shiftingto neutral and pressing the brake. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who was unable to duplicate the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 21,000.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Dec 142010

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated abnormally and crashed into a tree. The contact and a passenger were severely injured and transported to the hospital via ambulance. The police were notified and a report was filed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that there were no failures within the vehicle. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileage was 110,000.

- Leicester, MA, USA

Feb 162012

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the engine was started and the vehicle surged backward until crashing into a parked vehicle. The contact suffered severe injuries as a result of the crash. The vehicle was then towed to an impound lot. The failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unknown.

- Glendora, CA, USA

Feb 252012

Accord

I have an 05 Honda Accord coupe. Neither window will roll down, had the relay switch replaced but 6 months later back to the same problem. Radio would go on and off, even when car was off. Now the radio will not come on at all unless I unplug/plug the battery, then the result is only temporary. Now the cruise control button will not work. If I push it down the green indicator light comes on but the button will not stay engaged. I've seen so many of the same complaints I was sure there was a recall I missed but there isn't??!!

- Alma, AR, USA

Dec 172011

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning and the brakes would not engage. The contact also stated that he had to engage the parking brake in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 85,000.

- Berkley, CA, USA