2006 Honda Accord drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Accord:

2006 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 202016

Accord

Transmission failed after only putting 77,300 miles on the car.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 222016

Accord

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Accord. While driving 40 mph and attempting to accelerate, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The contact stated that the transmission started to slip. The contact was informed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Ormond Beach, FL, USA

Jan 082016

Accord

While driving the car I noticed when I put my foot on gas it wasn't responding. I got a few more feet down the road and the car stopped. I the tried to give it gas nothing happened. I had the car towed to the shop and was told my transmission was completely shot at 97000 miles. The car has been maintained very well with the transmission fluid being changed. I know Honda has had many problems with their transmissions.this is the second Honda I have owned that the transmission has failed and after this it might be the last Honda I own.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Oct 112015

Accord 6-cyl

I had just gotten off the interstate about 2 minutes. I was approaching a traffic light, when I tried to accelerate through it. My engine roared, but did not go anywhere. So I looked around, and cars were up on me, nearly rear-ending me. They were upset that I mashed my brakes, rather than driving through the intersection. I put on my emergency lights for them to go around me, as I put the car in park, it kept rolling back, reverse, it kept rolling as if it was in neutral, drive, it kept rolling. I had to pull the emergency brakes up to get the car to stop. After nearly getting hit from the rear numerous times, I was finally able to allow the vehicle to roll backwards into a parking lot and park it. It took me nearly 3 hours to finally get the car towed home. This is a dangerous experience. I can only imagine if this had happened to an inexperienced driver. There may have been fatalities as a result of this. I should have been warned that something like this could occur in this vehicle. My transmission put me down. I am just thankful that I had gotten off of the interstate. My complaint #: 1-07-825-30. Please, remedy this issue before something major happens to someone. Thank you in advance.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Aug 052015

Accord

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving at unknown speeds, the vehicle decelerated and there was a sudden increase of engine rpms. The dealer informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V395000 (power train). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 205,000.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Apr 142015

Accord

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving at 15 mph, the vehicle started making an abnormal noise and jerked without warning. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,000.

- Taron Springs, FL, USA

Jan 092012

Accord 6-cyl

This is my first Honda & will be my last. Bought the car with 50,000 miles on it-figured we were set for quite a while. At 53,000 the transmission went-3,000 miles over warranty. Called Honda directly & after crying, begging, pleading, etc they replaced the transmission free of charge. Three years later I have a car with 110,000 miles on it. The white paint is all pitted with rust spots, the passenger side motor lock is broken & the driver side passenger window motor is shot. God only knows about the air bags!! I hate this car with a passion. My husbands 1996 Toyota Camry has absolutely nothing wrong with it at over 200,000 miles!! I can't believe Honda doesn't put out recalls on some of these things as I've read quite a few complaints about them on the internet. Obviously Honda isn't concerned about their reputation at all. I was so impressed when they finally agreed to replace the transmission but its like I got the lemon of all Honda!!!

- Buhl, MN, USA

Jul 012011

Accord 4-cyl

Veh is a 2006 4cyl Accord coupe veh started shuddering during slow to moderate acceleration when RPM's reached around 12-1500 and speed was approx 35mph. Veh has approx 47K mi on same. Dealership tried to sell transmission fluid service even though it had less mileage than manual recommended for service. Took multiple trips to 2 separate dealerships (all over 1hr away) before problem was addressed under the power train warranty. 2nd dealer also admitted veh shifted harder than it should and replaced the torque converter. Repair only lasted approx 30K mi and veh needs repair again. Veh now shudders more frequently and at different speeds though acceleration is always slow to moderate. Previous repair only had a 1yr warranty and power train warranty has expired. Honda had a class action lawsuit for this same issue but same was settled before my veh was built therefore it is not included in the suit but I feel this is related. Veh also has paint issues however those are not necessarily a "safety" issue.

- Kitty Hawk, NC, USA

Oct 262012

Accord

I was involved in an accident and my airbags never deployed. A police report was filed and the other car got ticketed. I was driving down the road and a car pulled in front of me and I T-boned them. Not sure why my airbags didn't deploy. Also, since 2012 as I accelerate and press the gas pedal my car shudders, like its skipping. Not sure why but it's not right and shouldn't do this.

- Sanford , NC, USA

Nov 162014

Accord 4-cyl

Automatic transmission shudders during acceleration. Car has 76,000 miles.

- White Plains, NY, USA

Aug 222014

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission failure while I was in heavy traffic. Engin would rev up but the transmission would not engage. This caused a stressful and dangerous situation with traffic since I could not move any faster than 10 to 15 miles per hour.

- Snellville , GA, USA

Jun 192014

Accord 4-cyl

2006 Honda Accord SE 4cyl automatic trans. Transmission failure on highway. Entering highway and merging into high-speed traffic, and transmission started slipping to the point where it had no forward power (however engine was running fine). A large 18-wheeler truck was behind me and had to brake sharply as my car slowed down. Had to pull off, shut off engine for a few minutes before was able to get car to next exit and off highway.

- Menlo Park, CA, USA

Sep 212011

Accord 4-cyl

Transmission shudders when RPM's reach 1500-2000 at slow to moderate acceleration. Shuddering does not occur when hard accelerating. Tends to happen when speed is reaching 35mph though has occurred at other speeds. Has happened on multiple road surfaces and in multiple cities. Veh has not thrown any service code's or warning lights. Dealer does not seem to want to fix problem. This vehicle is not covered in the class action lawsuit but symptoms seem identical.

- Kitty Hawk, NC, USA

Aug 162013

Accord 4-cyl

During multiple instances, my car (Honda Accord 2006) was either in nearly stopped position or stopping in the line of traffic red light behind other car. Suddenly, it just self-accelerated itself with RPM cranking up to 1.5 K-RPM while I was braking my brake peddle to set my car in stopped situation. Normally, when it was in fully stop or idle position, the engine idle RPM speed is 0.75~0.8 K-RPM. These scary instances of "self-acceleration" happened at least three times in recent two months. Luckily, I was in fully depressed brake position for these instances. When I heard and saw the engine RPM speed suddenly cranking up twice as fast, I instantly depressed further down the brake even harder to make sure the car didn't gallop up and hit the car in front of mine. This is a very serious situation. It just likes some other people (ghost driver) is driving my car besides me.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Mar 092009

Accord 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle failed to shift into third gear. The contact also mentioned that when he attempted to shift into third gear, the shifter would not engage or immediately disengage independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The mechanic did not diagnose a failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000. The current mileage was 110,000. Updated 11/06/13

- Boone, NC, USA

Jan 012011

Accord

An abnormal noise is occurring in my vehicle transmission when I am in the secondary gear. The vehicle engine has and continues to occasionally stall as if their is a short circuit in the electrical component and transmission of the vehicle and vehicle engine which intermittently shuts down but comes back on before the vehicle engine completely stops. When the vehicle is placed in the parked gear position, the vehicle occasionally rolls until the parking emergency brake is applied. I do not want a failed transmission bearing to cause more damage to my vehicle transmission. I discovered this problem was recalled on August 8, 2011 for 2006 Honda Accord vehicles. Recall no. 11V395000, under "automatic transmission bearing failure."

- Rialto, CA, USA

Nov 012012

Accord

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while downshifting, the gears shifted violently and the vehicle lunged forward abnormally. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where they advised the contact that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was approximately 121,124.

- Normandy Park, WA, USA

Dec 142012

Accord 6-cyl

I bought my 2006 Accord V6 auto not quite 4 years ago as a 2 year old, off lease beautiful, gently used model with 38,000 miles. Around 85,000 miles I noted the transmission started to shift abruptly/hard. I had a transmission fluid service completed and this seemed to solve the problem. The abrupt shifts started again around 128,000 miles. Now at 130,000 miles, the transmission completely failed. After a 65 mile trip, the car would not get out of first gear. The engine revved and revved, but would not shift. After a 5 minute rest, the car would not even go into reverse or drive. When the tow truck arrived 45 minutes later, the car did manage to go into reverse and drive to get the car aligned with the flat bed. The result from an independent Honda specialist: $3932.74 to replace the transmission. A call to stevenson Honda, who did not look at the car, quoted $4200 for a "remanufactured" transmission. Not sure how Honda could continue to build this transmission and install in their top of the line model after knowing there were problems as early as 2003, in this specific model. I'm not quite sure what my plan of action is after calling Honda 800-999-1009 to complain. I don't have $4000 laying around.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Jun 122012

Accord 6-cyl

While accelerating to highway speed (65) my car automatic transmission suddenly fell out of gear and the engine raced to 6K rpms and was unable to catch gear again with patting the gas peddle. It was almost as if the cars brake was on because there was almost no glide. I was just barely able to get off to the shoulder and not be rear-ended at high speed. I turned off the car for a few minutes and started it back up and it was able to progress through shifting but is now unable to advance above 50 miles per hour due to it not being able to shift higher. It is also falling out of gear when idling. I kept regular maintenance on my car and changed the transmission fluid about 15K miles before I experienced this issue. I am being told by a transmission shop that the problem is likely with the torque converter and I will likely N need a new transmission at the tune of ~$4000 needless to say I feel this is an extreme safety hazard and probably caused by original parts being low quality or poorly designed.

- Fort Washington, MD, USA

Sep 102012

Accord

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 135,000.

- Saint Albans , NY, USA