2006 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Accord:

2006 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Jul 172015

Accord 4-cyl

I backup up in a parking lot and when I took my foot off of the brake the car went full throttle in reverse and hit a cement structure behind me and kept hitting it. My brakes did nothing to stop the repeated collisions so I put the car into drive and it went full throttle across the parking lot and was going to go off a cliff and yet I had no brakes. The only control I had was steering. I was going with a full throttle and managed to steer away from the cliff and a building and headed towards a chain link fence to try to stop my travel. It did not stop me because the car was going so fast. It went through the fence and the yard and then through the next fence and was then airborne between the trees till I hit the ground at a 45 degree angle which was about 15 feet lower. Then continued to speed across a field till it got caught in a ditch. I had no brakes during the entire incident...updated 08/27/15 updated 12/3/15

- Grover Beach, CA, USA

Jul 122015

While driving car cease or stop in traffic. Then jerk or accelerated after applying gas pedal.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 132015

In January, three weeks after driving 1000 miles to Florida the engine started to miss and with in a mile I could not go 10 miles a hour. I had the car towed to the fort myers, Florida Honda dealer. I was told one of the rear spark plugs was loose and the blow-by over-heated the spark plug causing the inside of the plug to come loose fall inside the head thus causing damage to the engine. The coil mounted to the spark plug was charred indicating very high temperature from the blow-by. The plug was loose in the socket indicating it was not tighten securely. The top of the plug is still in-place on the spark plug. I have the parts. The engine had the fluids check and oil changed every 4000 miles and normal maintenance performed. I do most of my own maintenance and had no reason to check the spark plugs. I keep track of gasoline usage and the car had no change in gas consumption, an indication of bad sparkplugs. Over all usage of 22 M/G. the suggestion of the service manager was that the lease expensive way to get back to my home in Ohio was to have a used engine installed. It took over a week. I now have almost $5000 more invested in the car because of faulty manufacturing.

- New Carlisle, OH, USA

Dec 042014

• 1,031,881 miles

While driving to work, the engine suddenly cut off while sitting at a red light. I restarted the car and the service engine light came on. I immediately took the car to the nearest autozone and had a diagnostic report done. Report came back saying fuel screen is jammed. On the way home from work, the service engine light went off. When I started the car the next morning the service engine light again came on. I immediately went to a auto service repair place and they ran a diagnostic test. It came back saying fuel screen is jammed. The mechanic stated that it just needs to be cleaned. I made an appointment for the next day. The next morning, on starting the car, the service light did not come on. I went to my appointment and the mechanic said, some cars do that and after driving a while, it may not come back on. The light has not come back on since nor has the car stalled out.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 182014

Accord 6-cyl

While having the vehicle in for a power steering hose recall the dealer found two broken motor mounts. My Honda Accord LX has been making a thumping noise on acceleration. Its possible that leaking power steering fluid has caused the deterioration of the rubber in the mounts. The dealer service rep says there are 3 motor mounts on this engine. The vehicle has not been driven hard since new. With 2 of 3 mounts broken at 66, 800 miles is a matter for concern. The 3rd mount breaking would cause the engine to twist and possibly start a fire or transmission and drive axles to lock up causing a crash. Other Honda Accord owners have complained about broken motor mounts on-line.

- Munhall, PA, USA

Feb 282014

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Accord. The contact stated while that driving approximately 65 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was maneuvered off the roadway when the contact noticed that a trail of oil was leaking from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that a seal needed to be replaced in the compartment of the timing belt. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000. Updated 05/12/14

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Mar 272013

I took my Honda Accord E6 into darrell waltrip Honda for a recall to repair a power steering hose. I picked the car up and returned 27 miles on the interstate directly to my home. I was told the repair procedure was to take 5 hours plus oil change but it actually took less than 60 - 90 minutes. I parked the car in my garage and went upstairs into the house. About 12 minutes later the alarms went off and I found the garage and car in flames with heavy smoke. The forensics fire expert says that the fire was caused by oil that had sprayed across the back inside of the car which was ignited by the catalytic converter - probably due to a faulty repair by the mechanic or by a faulty repair procedure designated by Honda or the dealership. The fire thus far has caused more than $200,000 damages to my home plus injury to me. I understand that at least four other drivers have experienced the same problem.

- Mt. Juliet, TN, USA

Aug 012013

I was driving down my road and notice my car keeps stalling between 3rd and 4th gear, if I hit the brake it stops and I can go on. I took it for recall last year and it started doing better but last month it is stalling and jerking at speeds between 30-45. It seems to be getting worse. Also my driver side window when I try to roll it up without holding the button it will go all the way up and then roll back down. I also have problems with the air conditioner blowing hot air on the drivers side if I turn it all the way down to where it says lo and a few minutes later turn it up to what it is set on then it will blow correctly for a day or two, sometimes a couple of weeks but having to keep doing this defeats having climate control option.

- Rogersville, TN, USA

Jul 022013

Accord 6-cyl

Power steering hose is leaking and could cause potential fire due to the location in the engine compartment. This is a problem in multiple models of Honda and has been recalled before, but not in my model. Please consider the placement in future vehicles and resolve this issue in current ones.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 072013

Accord 6-cyl

In February, I had to replace the power steering pump, and driver side power window switch. In June I had to replace the starter motor.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Oct 272012

I've experienced many issues with my brakes since my car hit 99,000 miles. I have to replace the brakes every 20,000 miles and now I had an incident where my car would not stop. The engine seemed to just go dead and I could not accelerate the car. I had just gotten off the freeway. The car did not want to stop when I was approaching the red light and would not accelerate. It would only go 5 mph. I pulled off the street, stopped the car and turned it off. I started it again and it went back to normal but I immediately drove to the Honda dealership and they said I have 5 or more sensors that are failing, including the throttle. They said it was unsafe for me to drive and the car is still there. Said it will cost at least $1300 to fix and that may not fix it. I tried to report previous braking issues to american Honda in December 2011 and they dismissed my complaint. Told me I needed to deal with the dealership. Originally, I thought the dealership didn't fix the brakes and just charged me for a service they didn't perform. Now, it seems as though it's a manufacturer defect, which is what I was told today.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 012012

My fiancee, her brother, our 22-month old son, and myself were on the highway (270S) to reagan international airport at 6:30 pm when the car suddenly slowed down, would not accelerate, and started shaking. Not knowing what was going on I pulled over, turned the engine off, and got out of the car. I walked around the car and everything was fine. I got back in the car, started the engine and stepped on the gas pedal without much of an acceleration. We called a friend who is a mechanic and he said that it was probably a spark plug issue. We were able to drive the car the next day to his shop and the diagnostics was cylinder misfiring. It turned out that a spark plug became loose, melted, and destroyed the cylinder. He fixed the treads where the spark plug screws into the engine but the engine did not pressurize. He went inside the engine and discovered that there were lot of loose debris in the engine and the smooth surface against which the cylinder glides in the engine was damaged and was very rough. His recommendation was to replace the engine, which he is currently doing for a minimum of $2500 out of pocket since the warranty expired. I hope this solves the problem. Our car is well-maintained and all the factory-recommended services have been done. We were never told by the dealers that the spark plugs can become loose and needed to be checked. I did an online search and it turned out that many Honda owners, especially those that have 6-cylinder vehicles (Accord/Odyssey) have the loose spark plug problem and almost always after the warranty expired.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Sep 022012

Accord 6-cyl

Smelled smoke in interior compartment as of I was about to park the car. Got out of the car with all passengers.. then seconds later the engine was in flames. By-standards grabbed extinguishers (4) in total but did not put the flames out. Fire dept came, cut open the hood and put it out with water. Front bumper and headlights had melted completely. Battery and fuse box nearly gone and nothing but bare wires all over the engine. Even the head cover all melted.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Aug 042012

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Accord. The contact stated while traveling highway speeds the vehicle started to shake and then stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The dealer confirmed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were unknown.

- Aldan, PA, USA

May 232012

Accord 4-cyl

Appears the vehicle PCM has to be replaced caused car to stall.

- Riverside, RI, USA