CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

2008 Honda Accord body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Mar 162016

Accord

I parked on my driveway, which slopes upward. I pushed open the door to the maximum extent. As I exited the car, the door closed by itself, hitting me on the shoulder and injuring the shoulder. (I am now getting medical treatment for the injury.) both the front driver and front passenger doors frequently close on their own, but this was the first time I was seriously injured. After my injury, I asked friends if their doors did this, and tested their doors. Even parked on a very slight upward slope, my door has a tendency to close on its own. At that point I realized there was a problem with my car; the door was not supposed to close like this. I plan to take the car to the dealer as soon as I can to see if the door mechanism can be fixed on both sides.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jan 132016

Accord

Person pulled out in front of me and I struck her with front and edge of bumper. The side curtain deployed, but not the steering wheel airbag. I went forward and was hit in the chest on the steering wheel. This was on a 4 lane street leading out of town the speed was 35 mph

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Feb 042015

Accord 4-cyl

Waved on as clear to go by the person looking the only way traffic could be legally coming; my wife proceeded to attempt to cross an intersection. Unbeknownst to her and the person that waved her in an all clear manner was that someone was speeding down the middle or turning lane in the same direction that stopped traffic was facing and hit her at an estimated speed of 50 mph. He hit her front driver's side and spun her around striking the vehicle a second time. No airbags deployed and my wife was taken in a C-collar by ambulance to a local hospital. When the eye injury was discovered to be beyond the scope of the er team at the initial hospital she was transported downtown to a trauma center to have her eye evaluated for retinal tear or other trauma. No airbags deployed. Not front or side curtain not passenger nor driver's side. My wife's head hit multiple times, door window twice and steering wheel to the best of her recollection. Black eye and visual disturbance that has yet to resolve five days later. Culpability aside I am concerned that the airbags on our vehicle did not deploy in a crash of that magnitude... updated 02/19/15.......updated 12/15/15

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Jan 132015

Accord 4-cyl

The paint on my black 08 Honda Accord is beginning to peel on the hood. It just started this week and is about the size of a 50 cent piece or a bit larger. I understand that Honda is not interested in correcting the problem. My 1998 civic never had this problem even after 224,000 miles and 12 years. What a shame the Honda Corp is under an obligation to take care of the problems that they create but without a class action suit I doubt that we will see any help with this problem.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Nov 032014

Accord

Driver side front door automatic lock mechanism failed.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Dec 042013

Accord

I have been having problems with the brakes since it was purchased in March 2011. The brakes pads were replaced on the front and back twice since I bought the car. The rotors were turned this year. The car would not stop and constantly made noises. A week ago, I was involved in a car accident because my brakes failed.

- Covington, TN, USA

Jan 232013

Accord 4-cyl

Subject: Sudden unintended acceleration at about 9:25 pm, on Wednesday January 23, 2013 I was parked in the North parking lot of the vienna metro station, in fairfax, Virginia, awaiting arrival of my wife. I had parked in the first parking space, across from the waiting area in front of the metro station entrance. When I saw my wife emerge from the entrance of the metro station, I started my car and shifted to drive. The engine suddenly revved up and the car lunged forward, accelerating at high speed and out of control. I remember reacting by applying the brakes with all my might and engaging the hand brake without much effect.the car lunged forward about 100 feet and hit a concrete barrier which smashed the front and engine and totaled the vehicle. Luckily there were no other cars or pedestrians in the vicinity otherwise there would have been more severe consequences. When I regained consciousness, I had been transported to the fairfax hospital and had suffered severe trauma to the neck, throat, larynx and mouth area and was bleeding from a cut on the chin. Two days of intense examination at the hospital and several follow-up medical exams found no evidence of any physical or medical condition that could have possibly contributed to the accident. It must be noted that I did not receive any citation for the accident from the fairfax police.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jan 012011

Accord 6-cyl

I noticed a spot on the hood that had worn away to the gray. I took it to Honda and they told me it was my responsibility. Fast forward to a few days ago and another spot is wearing. The paint is not good quality. My car was only 3 years old when the first incident occurred.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Sep 012011

Accord

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the plastic over the passenger and drivers side grab handles were fractured. In addition, the door would swing back and forth when opened and the contact was concerned that the failure would cause injury. The dealer advised that the component was not under recall or covered by the warranty. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- Henrico, VA, USA