CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.7

2. I heard that Honda replaced worn rings and engine short block (15 reports)
  3. per Honda consuming 1qt per 1k miles normal (11 reports)
  4. software update (9 reports)
  5. call American Honda corporation to complain (6 reports)
  6. rebuilt the engine (6 reports)
2008 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Jan 032013

Accord EL V4

I noticed my car was making a strange noise when I first started it up. I took it to the Honda dealership in Ann Arbor Michigan, and they told me I was running the car without oil. They filled it up for me, and change the oil filter. Not even 3000 miles later, the car was making the same noise. I looked up on the Internet forums and found the oil consumption concerns. I brought this up to the service manager at the Ann Arbor dealership, and he dismissed it. He said it is common to put a quart of oil in the accord about every 2000 miles.

I am in sales, and I drive about 900 miles a week. When this was first brought to the dealerships attention, I was just over 90,000 miles, and I was still under the factory warranty. I repeatedly brought this up to the same service manager, and he said he can do a consumption test, but it will take many miles to complete. He reassured me there was no problem.

Consequently, I no longer go to this dealership for any service whatsoever. I use a local shop in my hometown, and he is aware of this oil consumption issue prior to me discussing it with him. I keep the 5 quarts of oil in my trunk and all times. About every 3000 miles I have to almost empty the container. I feel bad going in for an oil change to my local service guy right after I put in new oil, however, he checks everything and changes the filter and rotates my tires.

I bought this car based on its reputation of being a long-lasting vehicle with very few problems. Now knowing the Honda/the Ann Arbor dealership is lying, my trust in Honda has been shaken. This is the only issue with my car, however it is a pain in the ass. I am not sure if this hurts the resale value of it, but I will keep this car as long as I can. I am currently at 139,000 miles, and I have bought about five containers of oil.

If there is a fix the Honda is going to fess up to, I would like to know what it is and how fast they can do it. I kept all of my receipts and concerns from the Honda dealership in Ann Arbor. Without trusting them anymore, they may have deleted my concerns for all I know.

- , Saline, MI, USA

Feb 012014

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4 cyl

love hondas, really disappointed in this lack of doing the right thing and still requiring a $500 deductible

- , Douglasville, GA, USA

Mar 312014

Accord EXL 4 cyl

I purchased this 2008 Honda Certified used car back in May of 2013 with about 79K miles on it. At around 90K I had it worked on at the Honda dealer I bought it from as it was making a rattling noise under the hood and was still under warranty.

They ended up having to replace the timing chain and valve actuators on it and finally covered it under my used warranty. The mechanic at the dealer told me that "They don't make cars like they used too," and that I should change my oil at the minimum every 3,000 miles. He also told me not to rely on the oil change gauge/reading they have in the car. (Why do they even have them?)

So when I picked my car up from the dealership, it turns out they didn't reset the oil change meter when they did the work, and I didn't notice this until after I was home.

So this past weekend (Saturday) my oil light came on, but I knew it had been less than 3,000 miles since it was serviced and changed at the dealer.

Someone happened to give me a coupon today (Monday) for an oil change from a local oil change place, so I went and had it changed even though it really wasn't due. I thought it couldn't hurt and only help.

When the local place checked and changed my oil, they said it didn't register any oil on the dipstick and had burned through nearly all of the oil. It has been less than 3,000 miles since they changed it at the dealer (closer to or less than around 2,500).

The dealer has just recently replaced my timing chain and valves in January (2014). I am betting that they knew about this problem but didn't tell me. They said it was from not changing my oil frequently enough, which I do change it like I am supposed to. Now it's not under warranty.

Should I simply notify the dealership of this problem or is this something I have to keep up with as far as changing the oil and checking the levels all the time? or adding to it all the time in between oil changes?

I can see where this can get costly and/or ruin my engine if it isn't kept up with.

Any advice?

- , Gray Court, SC, USA

Mar 022012

Accord EX .2.4L

Having to add 2 to 3 quarts of oil in between oil changes is very frustrating

- , Durham, NC, USA

Jul 172013

Accord LXP 2.4L

Same problem with oil consumption as everyone else. Honda offered an extended warranty but wants me to pay a $500 dollar deductible to fix their inherent defect. Honda refuses to cover the full amount. I will never buy another Honda product again.

- , Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Sep 152009

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

After purchasing my 08 accord, I was a good owner and followed their useless maintenance minder and took it to honda for routine maintenance. At approximately ~28,000 miles I noticed that the car was burring oil. I took it to a honda dealership in charlotte north carolina to have them say that nothing was wrong with the car. I continually checked the oil levels to find that the car was still burning oil. So I took it to a dealership in Columbia Sc. After several visits and the dealership telling me that it was normal to burn 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. I called corporate. 4 case workers later, I had taken the car to barber honda in bakersfield, ca. At this point the car had the recall updates installed, the dealership ran their diagnostics and said nothing is wrong, and every 2,000 miles they had me pay for a synthetic blend oil change.

Finally, Barber Honda said that we think the problem is the timing belt gear system. They changed the entire system and I found that it didn't solve the problem. At this point I became tired of the continually excuses Honda has given me. I decided to start changing the oil myself with Castrol Titanium Edge GTX and a higher grade filter than the crap honda gives. I have been checking my oil and seeing that it is still burning oil but at this point I cannot do anything about this.

The conclusion to my rant is that, Honda could careless about their customers. The car I own has had break, transmission, and engine issues and honda has not done anything to resolve any of the issues. I have learned that for the remained of the time I own this car it is in my best interest to service it myself and not take it to honda.

In 6 years of ownership, honda has not resolved an issue and has not shown any concern to come up with a solution.

- , Concord, CA, USA

Jan 012014

Accord EX_L 4 cyl

Car is currently using a quart of oil every 2,000 miles. Had an 04 Honda accord and did not use any oil with 7500 miles in between oil changes. Do not want to pass this problem onto someone else but do not know how to fix or what is really wrong, very disappointed #honda motors!

- , Rochester, MN, USA

Feb 012013

Accord 2.4L V4

I bought this very nice 2008 Accord in February 2013. It had 95,000 miles. At the first oil change (I do it myself), I was down 2.5 quarts, maybe even a bit more. I thought the transmission was slipping, but it was actually very low on oil.

I did an oil consumption test, where they have you drive the car for 1,000 miles and then bring it in to check the oil loss (you do that three times). I was losing just over one quart per 1,000 miles.

After thee visits and five phone calls to the dealership, I can't get a response from anyone there. They just continue to ignore me. If I don't get resolution, I'll be editing this to add the dealership name and address.

- , Medina, OH, USA

Dec 152013

Accord LX V6

At 65,000 miles and only a month past an oil change I find that my car has hardly any oil in it. The indicator light never came on. It was just by chance that the oil was checked at all.

- , Deer Lodge, MT, USA

Nov 072013

Accord LX V4

On Nov. 7, 2013, the oil pressure light on my 2008 Accord LX flashed between oil changes for the first time. I was on my way to work and after a couple of hours checked the oil level and saw that there was about 1 qt left. The oil life reading was 60 percent. Not wanting to damage my engine I had my car towed to the Honda dealer whose service dep't. I'd been using for fourteen years. Service checked for leaks and found none. It also found no other obvious causes for this excessive oil consumption. Service committed an oil change and immediately prescribed an oil consumption test consisting on 3 separate 1000 mile intervals. After each I was supposed to bring my car in to have the head mechanic evaluate the rate of oil consumption. The first one came and went with no discernible change in oil level. On Dec. 22, 2013, during the 2nd 1000 mile interval, I had to add 1 quart of oil. The mileage was 99,578 or 1,746 miles since the test began. Friday Jan. 10, 2014 was when I brought my Accord for the 2nd 1000 mile check by the head mechanic. He told the service writer to tell me that since I had added a quart of oil - to stave off damage to my engine - I had nullified any possible results indicating the rate of oil consumption during this time. Currently I am progressing through the 3rd 1000 mile interval. I can't wait for the results. I believe the dealer will tell me that consumption is normal and that there is no problem. In that case, will sell my problem-free car back to Honda.

During the testing period, the oil pressure light flashed reliably at low RPMs (600 or less) while idling at traffic lights or in stop-and-go traffic. It does not flash while driving at higher RPMs. To stop the light from blinking while idling I shift form D or D3 to neutral thus slightly increasing the RPMs. The oil life reading was anywhere between 100 percent and 70 percent. Also I consistently checked the oil level which was always at or above the upper mark on the dipstick, except when I had to add oil on 12/22/13.

After doing some research at my public library, I found that excessive oil consumption in Accords is a consistent problem. The following Honda Service Bulletin seems to apply to this chronic condition: 12-087 "2008-11 Accord L4: Sticking rings Resulting in Unusually High Engine Oil Consumption." dated 4/30/2013. According to this TSB, vehicles affected include 2008-09 Accord L4 -all.

I have written a letter to Tetsuo Iwamura, president of American Honda Motor Co. Inc 1919 Torrance Bl. Torrance, CA 90501. The contents reiterated my recent experiences with excessive oil consumption and reminded him that this is a manufacturer's problem since I had had my Accord serviced regularly with the records to prove it. As of this writing, I have received no answer.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 262014

Accord EX 4 C

The car has a 40 % remaining of life of the oil. I me checked the stick to measure the oil and it it's very low. We have to add more oil.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jan 252014

Accord LX-P 2.4L 4 cyl

Over the summer of 2013, we had an oil leak fixed and had the oil consumption test done, saying it was normal for 1 quart of oil to be consumed per 1,000 miles. I then went ahead and had the oil changed on Veteran's Day in November of 2013, and here I am on January 25th, 2014, only 2,000 miles later and I'm almost out of oil! My Maintenance Minder still claims 70% of engine oil life is still good. It is consuming way more than I quart for every 1,000 miles.

Yes, my car is out of warranty, but V6 customers received their solution, where's the equality for 4 cylinder customers? Considering that MOST Honda customers end up buying 4 cylinders in their cars. This needs to be fixed NOW!

- , St. Albans, WV, USA

Oct 312013

Accord EX 4 cyl

2008 Honda Accord burning massive amount of oil. Engine making funny noise when started. Ohio Valley Honda monitoring vehicle oil consumption (14-1217 Christopher ) Oil consumption rate listed as 1 qt every 1,278.33 miles per check. Extended warranty on vehicle. Dealer wants to tear down engine and remove cylinder head to inspect cylinder walls as car may need new rings and pistons or have engine short block installed. If local inspector determines carbon build up Honda will not cover problem I will be responsible for repairs anywhere from $2,800 to $6,800(if short block needed plus tax. Called Honda care and a Mr. Matt Cladarella indicated I would need to gather all service records for vehicle and then he would review Honda's position on the matter. Local dealer is demanding a tear down date but also saying open up the wallet cause you may be stuck for all payments needed. Really, this from Honda!!! Shocker!!!Regional Manager stated Honda's don't have oil consumption problem. Then I looked online-Biggest problem these cars have? (OIL CONSUMPTION)!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Weirton, WV, USA

Nov 022012

Accord EX-L

I've noticed that my oil change has been needed more and more often. When it's time for an oil change, it makes a bad rattling noise but I never remembered when I changed it last. This time I left the odometer blank to see how many miles. Around 1900 miles I needed to change my oil. It makes a grinding noise when I need an oil change

- , Santa Ana, CA, USA

Jan 072013

Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L

I have a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L I4 and my car is burning oil excessively. It becomes worse when you hit VTC which is at 5K RPM. I did the software update for the VTC but it didn't help with the oil consumption and now I have no clue what to do. I guess I have to constantly check my oil every 1K and just keep adding oil during my ownership.

Honda needs to admit that this is a common issue not only the v6 models with the VCM but also the 2.4L K Series engines. Honda needs to step up and offer and recall and find a solution to the oil consumption....

- , Livingston, NJ, USA

Oct 122013

Accord EX-L 2.4L

I've added 2 quarts of oil since my last oil change just to stay above the lower dot on the dip stick. It has been 1500 miles since my last oil change.

- , Bethesda, MD, USA

Oct 302012

Accord EX 4 cyl

When I first encountered the problem I took it to the Honda dealer where I purchased it and they said it needed a software update. Two months later, the oil light came on again and mind you this car was bought new and at that point only had about 34,000 miles on it. I told my dealer I read on the internet about many others complaining of the 08 Accord burning oil and that they said switching to synthetic oil seemed to help the problem. They did switch to synthetic oil and it seemed to be running well for a few thousand miles on it .

However, my Accord now has about 54,000 miles on it and the oil light came on again after driving it 2000 miles since the last oil change at my dealer. Since all my service has been done strictly at my Honda dealer since I purchased it I returned to my dealer to complain about the oil light coming on again. They said that it was only down about 1/2 a quart but I added 1/2 a quart when the oil light first came on. I read about the class action suit regarding the Accord 6 cylinder having this problem but I have a 4 cylinder and I have read about many other owners of this year 2008 4 cylinder Accord having the same issues and I am concerned about the potential damage to the engine.

- , Darien, Illinois, USA

Jan 052011

Accord EX 2.4L 4 cyl

Investigating why the car is burning so much oil. I see that there are a lot of others with the same problem for this year. Scary.

- , Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Oct 162013

Accord LX V4

This is the second issue I have had with my 2008 Honda Accord. The first issue I had was with the defective ball joints on the Accord. That time I took the car in to my local Honda Dealership, Burns Honda, and had to pay $85 to have them look at the car. An hour later they called me and said "it's the brakes" they need to be replaced. They replaced the brakes at a cost of $250...didn't fix the problem. So after an internet search I found the issue was most likely the ball joints. I took the car in the the service person goes "oh yeah I see a service bulletin that says it could be the ball joints". So then they tell me "well Honda will only pay for half of the fix"...now remember this is a defective part in a car they sold. So there goes another $200 for the fix...but this time it did fix the problem.

Well less than 3 months later I get a oil light on my dash, odd since I just changed the oil less than a month before. I take it in and the service tech says "you were almost out of oil". I had the service tech check for leaks and there was not one noticeable leak in the car's engine. So I thought it was just a mistake made from my last oil change. Well no, less than 3 months later I started noticing noise coming from the vehicle that was not usual. I checked the oil dip stick and there was no oil on the dip stick. I went right to the service tech to get the oil change...this time there was less than a quart of oil in the whole engine.

So I called American Honda because I notice the service bulletin doesn't include 4 cylinder 2008 Honda Accords. The woman, who seemed annoyed that I was even calling, said well not all service bulletins include all models that may fall under that service bulletin for repair...okay. So she says take it in to get looked at. I told her, yep take it in so I can be charged another $85 and told its my windshield wipers that are the problem...not impressed with Honda at all! She says yes they may charge you to look at the car. I said so you are telling me even though once again its a defective Honda engine issue I have to pay for it. Yes. Well last time I buy a Honda.

- , Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Nov 122012

• 7,800,000 miles

Hello,

I have a 2008, V4 Honda Accord. I started having problems back October 2012 with the oil. When I get an oil change, I would need to add at least 2 quarts of oil before the next oil change is do. It started off with adding oil the very next month after a new oil change! That is so ridiculous. The only way I would know that I needed more oil was there would be a burning smell coming from the car and a knocking noise. My oil light indicator would never light up-which is another malfunction.

I took the car to Honda for servicing and told them what the car was doing. They told me that they did not see anything and that if it persists to bring it back in. So immediately I’m thinking that maybe they are not changing the oil correctly?! So the next few months I kind of kept track of the oil and took my car somewhere else for the oil change to see if that made a difference. Within the past year since then, I have had 4 oil changes with the other place and they did tell me that there is probably a Honda malfunction going on because the car is not supposed to keep losing oil within oil changes and having to add oil!! I am going to take my car in again to Honda and see what they are going to do. I just do not want to have the car engine blow up on me because of something Honda should have repaired. If someone else has had any resolution to their Honda place, please contact me at edwardsrosaline@hotmail.com

Thanks