CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.7

2. per Honda consuming 1qt per 1k miles normal (18 reports)
  3. I heard that Honda replaced worn rings and engine short block (16 reports)
  4. software update (10 reports)
  5. call American Honda corporation to complain (7 reports)
  6. rebuilt the engine (7 reports)
2008 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 14)

Feb 012014

Accord LX 2.4L

I PURCHASED A NEW 2008 HONDA ACCORD 4CYL. THIS IS MY THIRD HONDA AND I HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION. MY CAR CONSUMES 1 QUART OF OIL EVERY 1500 MILES. WHEN WILL HONDA ADMIT THERE IS A PROBLEM AND DO THE RIGHT THING AND FIX IT? I AM PLANNING ON BUYING ANOTHER CAR SOON FOR MY SON AND WILL START TO LOOK AT OTHER MODELS.

- , Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Mar 222013

Accord LX

I noticed that My 2008 Accord LX started to consume excessive oil about 2 years ago. At the beginning, I just added about half quart for about 2000 miles. Right now it needs to add a quart for every 1500-2000 miles. I'm sure it will get worse with time. Honda should take action for the issue for the 4-cylinder cars as well.

- , Potomac, MD, USA

Aug 252014

Accord 4DR LX-P I-Vtec 4

My 2008 Honda Accord started rattling at cold startup. Noise goes away after 2 seconds. I checked the TSB list and confirmed there is one for this problem. It's the VTC Timing Control is defective. After checking the oil level noticed there was none showing on the dipstick. MM on dash shows 30% oil life. I drained the oil to check how much was left and it only filled 2 qts. I have 2500 miles since the last oil change. I then brought it into Honda dealer and setup an appointment for an oil consumption test and confirmation of the rattle at startup. Honda will check it out 9-11-2014.

- , burbank, IL, USA

Sep 052014

Accord LX V6

i JUST READ ABOUT THE THE PROBLEM, LOOKING FOR ANSWERS

- , mercer, Pennsylvania, USA

Sep 042014

Accord LXP

At first it was 1 Qt between changes, now it is 2 Qts between oil changes. My fear, what's next. The last car I had to add oil to between changes was a 68 Plymouth. Maybe Honda should give me 7 Qts when I change my oil with 2 in the trunk or top offs between oil changes.

- , Rexford, New York, USA

Jun 012014

Accord ES 3.2L

very disappointing to see the performance of this expensive car

- , Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Nov 142011

Accord EX 2.4L

I purchased a 2008 accord ex brand new, only have 68,800 miles now and the awesome software upgrade honda did was sh*t,, nothing was corrected. now my car is in their shop they're reluctant to replace my timing chain which is messed up because of this, but they are going to replace my pistons and rings and of course instead of them taking the blame i have to use my warranty. i am so pissed to say the least. i will never ever buy another honda again.

- , Ludlow, MA, USA

Aug 142014

Accord EX-L 3.5L V6

I purchased my 2008 honda accord from car max last year in 2013. When i first got the car it was amazing then one day the car started messing up. I took it back to car max the said it was a misfire in the cylinders so the changed the spark plugs. Fine i was a little uneasy about the situation but what the hell its a honda, it wouldnt cost that much to fix anyway. Then not even a year later the engine went out took it to lindsay honda in columbus ohio and they did a diagnostic check on it and could find anything wrong so they took additional time which ended up costing me around 330.00$ for a diagnostic check. Then they come back to tell me if i want to find out whats wrong with it then it will cost an additional $1100 to test the cylinders. Come to find out it was the same cylinders that carmax had found the misfire in!!! I tried to trade it in at the honda dealer ship but I owe a negative equity on the car and i couldnt apply it to a lease either at this point I'm pissed my wifes 2002 bmw 330i is more reliable then this piece of sh*t!!!! Honda's are going down hill I finally found a dealer that will pay off my car and give another one, but i have no negotiating power what so ever in the transaction because of the cars condition. This was my third honda and my last one ever. I will never be buying another one again.

- , Columbus, Ohio, USA

Dec 012013

Accord EX-L 4

Car has less than 100k on it. And less then than 2 months and 3000 miles after my last change, my oil light comes on and it needs to be topped off.

Update from Aug 19, 2014: This issue turned into an engine rebuild that I had to pay a $300 deductible for.

There is a class action for it so I will be seeking reimbursement.

I am picking up car tonight so I will speak with them about the resolution to the problem. Rebuilding the engine is fixing a problem caused by this. It is not fixing the problem.

- , Hazelwood, MO, USA

Aug 012014

Accord EX-L 2.4L V4

I have always had this vehicle (bought new) serviced at the same dealership. I began hearing a rattle noise when accelerating (around 2000 RPM) and the oil light flashed on briefly. I took it into the dealership and was told that I was about 3 quarts low on oil. I had the oil changed about 3800 miles prior and there has been no signs of leak or burning oil. This was the first time that the vehicle had consumed any oil between oil changes. Dealer service adviser told me that Honda Accords can consume up to 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. Curious that this suddenly began at 68000 miles. It was suggested that I closely monitor oil consumption and possible have dealer perform an oil consumption test that would require me to bring in my vehicle every 1000 miles.

- , Alta Loma, California, USA

Aug 082012

Accord CUP ES 2.4L

I have a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe 2.4 L and I have excessive oil leak. I have to put one liter of oil every week. It also makes a strange noise when cold starting. Is there any type of recall on this car for this problem, and if not how much would this fix cost?

- , Plainville, CT, USA

Apr 012011

Accord EX

I have multiple cars, one being a GMC Yukon with 187k and it doesn't burn one drop of oil between oil changes. This car started out great but it's highway millage dropped around 50k from 32 to 25 miles per gallon. I have had to deal with rear brakes that need servicing every 20k miles, I have to put a quart of oil every one thousand miles.

I have been to the dealer and was told it was normal for the brakes and the oil. It was only after the brake class action law suit did I get some compensation for the brake issue. I don't believe the oil consumption is normal and feel it is a rip off by Honda and their dealers. I have put up with it, but find that the recent class action lawsuit should include the 08 4 cylinder cars as well. I am scheduling the VTC replacement this coming Tuesday and it will cost me 450 dollar since there is no good will from the dealer. This will be the first and last time I or any one of my family members will buy a Honda. I will tell all my friends as well the poor manufacturing as well as the service for Hondas.

- , Cary, NC, USA

Jul 012013

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

I have a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4 cylinder with just over 120,000 miles. I purchased the car new and did not have any issues with it until the past year or so. My car would start up and make a noise like a lawn mower and when I drove the oil light would sporadically come on and my car would sound like it was sucking dry. This would then prompt me to go buy a few quarts of oil and fill it up. It didn't occur to me to google this until today as I am preparing to sell this car ask there seems to be more and more issues. I was really surprised to learn of this excessive consumption problem and a little disheartened that 4 cylinders were not included in the lawsuit and how other 4 cylinder owners have been treated by the dealership as well as Honda corporate. My family has always driven Hondas, we've own multiple Accords, a Civic, a Pilot and an Odyssey. We've never had any major issues until this.

- , Troy, NY, USA

Dec 012012

Accord EX 2.4L I4

Now my Accord is out of warranty and I'm afraid the motor will go out very prematurely due to me losing at least a qt a week. I see there is a law suit against Honda helping people with the V6 models but what about us I4's with the same problem? I would not recommend Honda to anyone at this point.

- , New Castle, DE, USA

Jan 092014

Accord

2008 Honda Accord 4 Cyl. EX-L with same oil consumption issue. I will never buy another Honda Accord again. Only have 68,000 miles on it, bought it brand new. Tired of adding oil and worrying about the engine blowing. Honda Sucks!

- , Milan, IL, USA

Aug 072013

Accord EX-L

Like many others, I'm having this excessive oil consumption issue.

Started about 88,8k. Was having an rattle I was having a very hard time identifying. Thought it was a heat shield or clamp of some sort around the exhaust. One morning the oil light came on briefly and took it to the local dealer. Dealer informed me that the oil was about half empty, 2.5 quarts low. Filled it up and kept an eye on the level. Also noted that over the past 8-12 months I had noticed a significant drop in mileage, which I've kept religiously since purchasing the car (new). Was seeing as good at 31-32 mpg on the highway, then like a switch had been flipped and I haven't seen about 27-28 since. Same holds for city driving, although not quite as bad.

After much wrangling with the dealership here in Des Moines, where they wanted me to do an oil flush for about $300 and start doing oil changes at 3500 instead of the maintenance minder. Up to this point, I've changed the oil immediately when prompted, usually about 7500 miles. Been told that's not unreasonable given the synthetic the Accord requires. But I felt like the dealer was trying to squeeze useless services out of me. Found a dealer notification from 2007 from Honda Corp notifying dealers NOT to offer such recommendations. The earlier oil changes are a waste of money and the flush can actually HARM the engine.

Called American Honda and notified them of this. Didn't have much to say about the service issues, but we began the oil consumption test. First 2300 miles was a quart. Since then it's been about half every thousand, at different check frequencies. All told, I'm at about 3 qts over 6000 miles. Hardly a scientific process.

Received a call today from the dealer that the Regional-Somebody is declining any sort of "goodwill" help on the issue since the company standard holds. 1qt/1000 miles = tolerance and I'm outside that anyway. Although I have to say I'm running right about 1qt per 1000 since the initial 3000K.

I have yet to have anyone at Honda adequately explain to me how the mileage monitor says my oil is good for ~ 7000 miles and their tolerances say I'll be negative 2 quarts by the time I get there.

And to add insult to injury, I also have this VTC actuator issue and my model is outside the TSB VIN numbers, so they don't even acknowledge I could have the same problem.

Last Honda. Not a big fan of the car to begin with, but these issues seal the deal. I actually find it's funny how the techs are talking to be about my options, including selling this thing and getting a different care. Almost as if they seem to think I'll just go across the hall and buy a new Honda....

Update from Jan 17, 2014: After a fair bit of wrangling with my local dealer and Honda America, they've come to a "goodwill offer". Reset: car is an '08 accord EX-L 4 cyl. About 97000 miles and in otherwise good shape. Results of the consumption test say it's doing about a quart every 1500-1800 miles (varied kinda wildly across about 5 checks). Dealer sent the results to a regional somebody who declined to do anything. I restarted my calls wi6h American Honda Corp (800-999-1009) and they called back with a "Goodwill Offer" of 50/50, they'll pay half. I also have the VTC actuator cold start problem, and my VIN isn't part of the recall. So they are just going to have me pay the part, and the labor is included in the rings and seals work. My end is "supposed" to top out about $1400.

Kinda ticked still as this looks like it's all covered under other VINs and the V6 VTM settlement.

I suppose we'll do it as I'm finding another little happening. During this we looked pretty aggressively at trading this POS in for something else. However (and not unsurprisingly), even though the "book value" sites say my car is routinely in the $9000-11000 value range (trade-in), most dealers are low balling in at about $7500. Looks like these problems are well known and affecting values more than I previously thought (and the book sites it would seem).

Good luck all.

- , West Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Apr 012012

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

After literally keeping a weekly log of mileage and any added oil ("oil consumption") by checking the oil levels a few times a week, as instructed to do by the dealership (Cardinal Honda) they, dealership "& Honda decided to "rebuild the engine".

To date, and with continued regularly scheduled maintenance (have always done so!) I am still adding between one, and one and-a-half quarts of oil a week, between oil changes!! The dealership and Honda claim "this is a NORMAL condition of the '08 Accord's engine!"

- , Griswold, CT, USA

Jun 152011

Accord LX 2.4L V4

I just find it really annoying vehicle should have to consume as much oil as it does within the timeframe of a normal oil change.

- , Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Nov 292013

Accord EXL V6

After Thanksgiving my engine light comes on, I'm told there is a misfire in cylinder 2 and i need to replace the plug, which was a year old this is all by a non dealer. Then $367 later, engine light is back on and the dealer finds oil is more than 2 quarts down VCM is stuck. they fix VCM and changed oil. Tell me about consumption service bulletin, I watch the oil, after 2200 I'm down a quart, I call the dealer they said thats normal! for a 5 year old car??? No it is not NORMAL, I should not have to carry a case of oil in my car when it is ONLY 5 years old!, My brother in law drives a 14 year old crappy chysler and he doesn't need to replace the damn oil after 2200!!! How does Honda think this is normal??? If it is normal why buy Honda? Who wants to spend thousands on a vehicle that you have to keep a case of oil in the trunk at the 5 year mark??? My Mazda was 9 years old and still never did such a thing. Dealer ship and Honda is BS'ing me because they do not want to take responsibility for the failure they manufactured.

- , Bloomsburg, PA, USA

Apr 012014

Accord ES V6

Last summer it cost me over $300 due to misfired spark plugs at a Honda Dealer between Carrollton, GA and Daytona, FL while on vacation. The car has been consuming oil at an alarming rate. I am worried I am headed for some major repair work on the engine due to oil getting into the combustion area.

- , Carrollton, GA, USA