CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.8

$1,426.00

2. per Honda consuming 1qt per 1k miles normal (25 reports)
  3. I heard that Honda replaced worn rings and engine short block (18 reports)
  4. call American Honda corporation to complain (11 reports)
  5. rebuilt the engine (10 reports)
  6. software update (10 reports)
2008 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 16)

May 032015

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

My 2008 Honda Accord started consuming excessive oil in between oil changes so much so that we were adding oil. There was no indication of this until the car started making a shrieking noise when starting it. I took it to Honda and one person said it was normal in this model year. A couple of days later I called my adviser who said it was NOT normal and to bring it in. Needless to say they said I needed an engine overall for $3960! This is completely unacceptable for a 7 year old car that has had all its maintenance done!! What was even worse was that they said they were seeing this a lot. SHAME on Honda!! No responsibility on their part!! This was my 5th Honda and definitely my last!! I sure hope someone comes along and gives Honda what they deserve!!!!!

- , Huntsvillle, AL, USA

Jan 162015

Accord ES V6

I purchased this car as a used vehicle from Honda North, a Honda dealer in Danvers, MA,on 10/19/2013. It was 5 years old but had only 20,000 miles on the odometer. The price charged was $1,000 below book value, but it was in pristine condition. The salesman sold us an after-market warranty for $1,000. He never told us that the warranty had been extended as the result of a class action lawsuit because of excessive oil use for Honda 6 engines. I was NOT told to check the oil at every gas fill, nor was I told the first time the car was serviced by Honda North (before the original 5 year warranty ran out) that the car was low on oil. Only after I had the oil changed by an independent service station did I discover that the car was using excessive oil. I took it back to the dealer who, in April of 2015, advised me to monitor the oil level closely and bring it back after 1,000 miles, but they have never told me about the known problem with this engine or the class action suit.

- , Salisbury, MA, USA

Mar 302015

Accord EXL V4

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

Bought used 5-1-14 from Sparks Nissan in Monroe Louisiana with an extended warranty provided by fpp. Noticed my Honda was consuming oil between oil changes, totally unaware of all the complaints and issues with this year Honda....this is my 5 Honda I have owned and probably the last...anyways went thru the oil consumption test with the dealer and found I was using over a quart of oil every 2k miles....the extended warranty was supposed to cover all internal engine parts so I took it in to have it fixed......after engine tore down to diagnostic problem warranty company said they will not cover any of it. so here i am going to cost $6500 to rebuild the engine at the dealer and in a rent a car for the month......stuck between a rock and a hard place with no one to help.....still owe twice as much as the Hondas worth and paid good money for an extended warranty that did me no good...fraud? theft? radthorpe1@yahoo.com...what are my options??

- , ball, LA, USA

Oct 292014

Accord EX 4L

During a couple oil changes at non-dealer locations, I was told that I hardly had any oil left, so I took it to Honda dealer for next oil change and complained about this. I was told that it just needs a software update, which I have already, so it shouldn't be a problem - they pretended as if this wasn't a known problem. I was told that do that oil change and let's see how it is during next oil change. About 5k miles into my oil change and I'm out of oil. Just had to add a few more quarts.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Accord EX 2.4L

I am really very displeased with the quality and expense of owning this Accord when it comes to the excessive oil consumption. I will not be purchasing a Honda again if this problem is not rectified. Paying $40 additional dollars between oil changes on top of already expensive synthetic oil changes is not my goal in a vehicle. I do not and will not pay additional because a car company this large cannot get their MFG together. Also, a car company that is this large will not buck up and take care of what is clearly an engineering or MFG defect. My business will happily go to one of their competitors.

- , Cuddy, PA, USA

Nov 042013

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

My 2008 Honda is burning through oil at excessive rates. There is a Class Action Law Suit on the 2008 6cyl but not the 4cyl? Why is this...what is Honda doing about the 4cyl...clearly there should also be a Class Action Law Suit for the 4 cyl Accord. I bought a Honda for the reliability and I have been nothing but disappointed with this Accord, between the brakes and the oil consumption this is not the quality from Honda I expect. I was planning at purchasing the Pilot in the next year, but after these issues I may have to switch to American.

- , Hampden, MA, USA

Dec 012013

Accord LX 4 cyl

I know have 106,000 miles on my 2008 Accord. I have owned it since 2011 with 39,500 miles. I purchased my Accord from a Honda dealer as a Certified vehicle and took it to the dealer for every oil change until it was out of warranty at 100,000 miles. It started using oil around 70,000ish miles and kept getting worse and worse. I was told by the dealer that it is normal for oil consumption between oil changes on the Vtech engine. Now it is using about a quart every 1,000 miles. Also it now as developed a rod knock at start up after sitting for several hours. I was told by a local mechanic that the oil pump is starting to go bad and it will be about a $950ish fix just for that, but I will still have the oil consumption problem.

This is my 6th Accord and I have NEVER had ANY of them start to use oil at 70,000 miles. My 1989 Accord with 215,000 used less oil then my 2008 Accord does now. Complete BS if you ask me. Honda Motor Company needs to man up and recall all 2008 Accords and replace all of our engines. Toyota had to have massive recalls and man up to take care of their customers. It is about time Honda does the same.

- , Westville, NJ, USA

Sep 042011

Accord LX 2.4L Vtec

My Honda Accord is using about 2 quarts of oil every 1000 miles. I am currently under going an oil consumption test, where I have to have my oil checked every 1000 miles for a 3000 mile period of time.

Update from May 11, 2015: American Honda demed my car as one of many Honda automobiles that had the rings on the Pistons installed improperly during prodution.

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 152015

Accord LX-P 2.4L 4 cyl

You know, 1,000 miles for every quart of oil used to be a huge deal to me, but now it's not. My accord has went through every drop of oil, and it has only been 1,900 miles since my last oil change! This is ridiculous. I mean the car is 7 years old and there's nothing much to do at this point. But how frustrating it is. My dealer is worthless, the only solutions they've had were to "swing by and we'll add oil at no charge." How inconvenient? I'll just do that at home and it'll save me the gas and stress of having to go there. If anyone is looking to buy a Honda Accord of this specific model year for themselves or someone else, DON'T.

- , St. Albans, WV, USA

Dec 312014

Accord

Bought this car used mid October 2014. Loved it, until I started having to dump a quart of oil every thousand miles in late December. I've gone through 5 1/2 quarts of oil at this point, and the lemon warranty expired, so I'm screwed. Checked the class action suit that I found, but it only applies to the 6 cylinder cars, although upon further searching, I'm finding a LOT of people with the 4 cylinder Accords that have the same issue. Are they kidding??? I have never had a car use this much oil unless there was a major issue.

Going to have my mechanic look at it. Not sure what I'm going to do from here, but I've had the car less than five months.

- , Mastic Beach, NY, USA

Apr 012014

Accord EX V6

Honda is being sued, class action lawsuit.

I called American Honda. They say it's not a recall can't help. Called dealer. They want me to bring it in, pay $180 for them to look at it and if it has a error code they'll replace and extend spark plug warranty. I tell them this is a very small part of the problem. They tell me to call America Honda again. Giving me the run around. Can't find a place to file in class action lawsuit.. Other than contact a lawyer and be out even more money.

- , Beaumont, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Accord V4

My Accord has been consuming about a quart a month. Then last wed., the oil lite light started flashing 10% after only 1100 miles since last oil change. I took it to dealer within 20 miles of driving. By then the oil life said -60%. The Honda dealer tech said there was no oil registering on the dipstick. I paid $1400 to get the timing chain replaced (it had stretched due to lack of oil). What is worse the tech told me I should really get the piston rings replaced for $3700 or check my oil every time I get gas. No mention at the time that this was an epidemic failure. When I spoke to another tech he said the 08 Accords are notorious for this and that Honda will normally cover the piston rings, even out of warranty. Not likely. I also own a Pilot with 150K miles but Honda just lost me as a customer.

- , Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Feb 172015

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4-cyl

You have got to be kidding me! Acceptable level of oil consumption is what the dealership states. This is the last Honda I will own. Disappointed in the car and disappointed in Honda for trying to keep this issue hidden.

- , Lake Mary, FL, USA

Feb 122015

Accord LX 2.4L

The oil consumption problem became very apparent just recently, bought the car new and never had an issue with this until now. I am afraid that oil will become a big problem in the future as noted by other users about how bad it has become. Hopefully Honda recalls their vehicles on this issue out of good will versus the legalities of the situation.

- , Round Lake, IL, USA

Jan 282015

Accord LX 4

Honda should be ashamed of themselves. Every car is not going to have the same problem. They know something is wrong when they built these cars. I hope someone files a lawsuit. I'm looking for a lawyer now because where I purchased my car, they don't want to fix. I only had the car 2 months.

Update from May 12, 2015: It's still useing oil.an the dealer Keep saying there's nothing wrong with it.I will be talking to a lawyer because I was sold a lemon.

- , saluda, SC, USA

Jun 012012

Accord EX-L 3.5L V6

Consuming a quart of Mobil1 every 1000 miles is something you'd expect out of a Lada, not a Honda. I dread taking on Honda about this problem.

- , Cary, NC, USA

Jan 182015

Accord LX-S 4 cylinder

For every 800 miles I have to add a quart of oil. I usually end up adding 5 quarts by the time I change my oil at 5000 miles

- , Front Royal, VA, USA

Sep 022010

Accord AXL 4 cyl

Honda's TSB is a joke. This is a mechanical issue, not a software issue.

- , Pleasant Shade, TN, USA

Oct 062014

Accord LX V4

Recently I noticed that my engine is consuming more and more oil. I routinely get my oil changed every 3,000-5,000 miles as suggested in the manual. This last time, I was at the 2,000 mile mark when my oil light FLASHED; I say flashed, because the light did not stay on, rather it would go on only when I turn a corner. Clearly there is an issue as a Class Action Lawsuit has been initiated by people who had to repair this defect themselves. First, consumers should not be responsible for spending hundreds of dollars a year to maintain oil in their car due to Honda's error. Second, this issue can cause the engine to freeze/lock-up while operating which is a major concern while driving. This is the second Honda I have owned, my first was a 2004 and I never had issues with the oil. In fact, I would not receive a low oil notification until I was at 10,000 miles. Hondas have the reputation to last a lifetime; however, if this continues, I will be forced to purchase a new car that I cannot afford due to their error and refusal to acknowledge that this is a problem.

- , Canton, OH, USA

Jan 012008

Accord EX 4 cyl

We bought the 2008 4 CYL Accord new. We have had a Honda in our family since started driving. Shortly after purchase notice rattle noise from engine upon cranking motor. Soon after noticing noise noticed that oil was not lasting as long as manufacture suggested time for changing oil. Since purchase of car, car has consistently become worse in consumption of oil. I can barely get 1500 miles without loosing three or more quarts of oil. I had the update to the software done years ago which had no apparent resolution to the issue.

I am EXTREMELY disappointed in my experience with my 2008 Accord and even more disappointed in HONDA Corp as a manufacture and their ability to correct an obvious defect. I have worked for other foreign car manufactures for many years in the past and have come to the conclusion that the next purchase for my family will NOT be a Honda if they do not step up and completely rectify this issue.

- , Gainesville, GA, USA