CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.9

$1,297.00

2. per Honda consuming 1qt per 1k miles normal (34 reports)
  3. I heard that Honda replaced worn rings and engine short block (19 reports)
  4. call American Honda corporation to complain (12 reports)
  5. rebuilt the engine (12 reports)
  6. software update (10 reports)
2008 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 18)

Jul 142016

Accord LX-P 2.4L

BOUGHT 2008 ACCORD 2.4 LITER 06/08/2016 AND N 07/14/2016 I ADDED QT OF OIL.THEIR DOING OIL CONSUMPTION TEST NOW.

- , St P[aul, MN, USA

Jun 052016

Accord LX V4

2008 Honda Accord Coupe lx 4 cycliner.

The car is burning oil, every time I change my oil, it seems like 1 month later I have to put in 2 quarts just to get it back to normal.

I know there was a recall on it a few years ago, and I didn't have a chance to get it fixed because the car was not having any problems at that time. However, this is not the case recently as the car burns significant oil and the recall is not open anymore. Honda says there is no more recall on the car? Any help or suggestions

The car does have a rebuilt title but it was a minor rear fender bender.

- , Boardman, OH, USA

May 012015

Accord EX 2.4L

I bought my accord new. It has not given me a problem until last year when I noticed excessive oil consumption. They did know about this problems and failed to notify the consumers. I think it potentially could be very dangerous and costly problem, when the engine burns out or runs out of motor oil. Honda must notify the consumers and fix the problem

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 022016

Accord EX 2.4L 4 cyl

The recall Honda has issued on oil consumption seems like it is mostly concerned with the 6 cyl models. We have a 2008 4 cyl. model that burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles. But, the Honda dealership says it doesn't qualify for a fix by Honda. They want to check the oil 5 minutes after the car comes in before the oil can settle all the way back in the pan. Ergo they don't have to fix, since it doesn't fall into their parameters of consumption. If the car sits long enough the dipstick reads a quart low, but when you check at the 5 minute mark it is only about 3/4 quart low. Just outside their parameters. Convenient !!!

- , Smyrna, GA, USA

Jul 162014

Accord 3.5L

1. Excessive oil consumption

2. Excessive rear brakes wear

3. Battery drain if the key is in the ignition without engine running

4. Short battery life - needs to be replaced every 20-24 months.

- , North Hollywood, CA, USA

Oct 122015

Accord LX-P

FOR THE PASS 8 MONTHS IT HAS BEEN USING AN EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF OIL, I CAN GET AN OIL CHANGE AND IN TWO OR THREE WEEKS I WOULD TO PUT 2 OR 3 QUARTS OF IN THE ENGINE. THE CAR HAS NO LEAKS SO WERE IS THE OIL GOING? SINCE MY OIL CHANGE IN JANUARY AND THE ONE IN APRIL I HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING. THE SERVICE MANAGER TOLD ME TO PUT A QUART OF OIL IN THE CAR EVERY 1000 MILES, AND I TOLD HIM THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG BECAUSE MY CAR HAS NEVER GIVEN ME ANY PROBLEMS.

- , Bellwood, IL, USA

Apr 012016

Accord EX 4 cylnder

Not till recently has my oil levels dropped. Between oil changes I am almost down to zero oil left. I am forced to top off between oil changes several times and up to 5 quarts. I've maintained my car very well and it has only recently started burning oil. I contacted Honda and was advised the settlement warranty extension expired for me 3 months prior.

If I paid for a diagnostics from Honda, they would review my case, but because of the high mileage on the vehicle, it wasn't likely. I've been a loyal Honda consumer my whole life. This will be my last Honda for sure.

- , Brentwood, CA, USA

Sep 152015

Accord EX

Started noticing the excessive oil consumption about 2 years prior. FINALLY Honda quietly admitted there was a problem and bring the car in if you experience it. I brought the car in and the first step is to have an oil change and come back when the problem arises again. I brought it back after 600 miles when I heard the engine knocking and after checking the oil it was low. I was told that the oil level was fine; they topped it off and I was told to keep an eye on the oil light.

I heard the engine knocking and the oil light was on after another 1250 miles and was told the oil was not even registering on the dipstick. They told me Honda doesn't consider it excessive oil consumption unless mileage is under 1000, keep checking the oil every time I fill it up and bring it back when I have the problem again. I brought it back when I heard the engine knocking after 750 miles. They told me the oil level was fine and they completed the excessive oil consumption test. Still having the problem and will try to dump this car soon. HONDA - NEVER AGAIN!!

- , Saint Paul, MN, USA

Mar 252016

Accord EX 2.4L

I'm tired of topping off engine oil. Why is Honda not fixing it. I've replaced PCV valve, spark plugs and air filter.

- , Scranton, PA, USA

Dec 152015

Accord EX 4 cyl

In December my car was making a strange grinding noise in each gear when I was driving. At first I thought it was the heat shield. I had them check the heat shield when I took the car in for an oil change. When I picked the car up the heat shield was fine and the noise stopped. 2700 miles later I made another appointment at the Honda dealer to have the oil changed. Prior to the appointment the noise returned and the oil light came on. I was dangerously low on oil and found that there was less than a quart in the car. I spoke to the tech to try to remedy the problem. At first I thought a pcv valve and spoke to the tech about it... then I find out that Honda knew there was a problem with excessive oil consumption and a class action suite. It took two months without an answer of yes or no until I had to take matters into my own hands and complain to Honda. The mileage on the car was an issue however the techs told me I have a better chance than they do to solve the problem. I found another Honda owner who had their car repaired at 157,000 miles. WTF! I have never had the car serviced anywhere else other than one Honda dealer. After explaining to Honda and receiving the case number 04515338... After calling and calling they promised to get back to me to resolve the matter. Only after calling every day I received a call telling me that they would not fix the car and was told older cars use more oil. I told Honda I am not done with this. I went to the securities and exchange commission web site and obtained all the names from the CEO the CFO down. They will be getting an email about the fact that they knew about this problem and only after a law suite did they admit there was a problem. This is unacceptable after purchasing 8 Honda Automobiles, servicing only through Honda...not once has a drop of oil been excessively consumed until the 2008. My family needs this car. I am documenting every oil check and service record. The next step is having Honda change the pcv valve, the oil and oh yes THE AIR BAG recall! I'm pissed how loyal customers are treated.

- , Cleveland, OH, USA

Jan 012016

Accord Accord 4 Cly

I will never buy another Honda again. I'm going pass the word around who ever is looking to buy a Honda to beware of the problems with their engines.

- , HOWARD BEACH QUEENS, NY, USA

Feb 072009

Accord LX 2.4L V4

Purchased a 2008 Honda in July 2008. Pre-Owned (3,202 Miles). Completed my own oil changes and begin to notice that during the 6,174 to 11,500 mile oil/filter change (5,326) that the oil dip stick measured 1/2 quart low.

On all most all trips over 500 miles I had to add at least 1/2 quarts of oil. I had to continually check oil level at each gasoline fill-up and had two carry at least two quarts of extra oil in the trunk. It was always on my mind to always have to check the oil level of the engine. Well finally last year (2015 Sept) Honda issued a recall on the terrible oil consumption problem with the 2008 Honda Accord.

I drove to Columbus,Ga, "Carl Gregory Honda dealer". Presented my car to them for the recall. They set up the first Oil consumption test, which was to change the oil (at my cost) and send me on my way to drive 1,000 miles and return to the dealership for them to check the oil level. The first test revealed what i had witnessed so many times before. Within the 1,000 miles the oil level was 1/2 quart low. So they set up the second test for the next 1,000 miles.

Now I always had a question for the Service Manager. "what if the oil level reaches the bottom mark on the dip stick before the 1,000 miles is traveled. His response was this" if the oil lever reaches the lower mark before 1,000 miles, "Call me wherever you are, don't drive the car. OK, well it certainly happened, when I had driven 741 miles the oil level reached the bottom level.

I called the personal number that the manager had given me, you guessed it "No Answer, No voice mail". I have made calls to the DEALERSHIP AND HAVE NOT TO THIS DAY RECEIVED A CALL. THAT'S BEEN SINCE JAN 08, 2016. When I took my car to the dealer (Carl Gregory of Columbus) for the 2nd Test, I did not notice something had changed. Carl Gregory Honda of Columbus had sold their Dealership to "AutoNation Honda Columbus Dealership. The same Service Manager still worked for the New Dealership, but would not take or return my calls.

Now I can't drive my Oil Thirsty Honda Automobile because the Service Manager told me that I could cause damage to the engine if driven. Because of this I have not been allowed to drive my car for soon two months. My plans are to travel to the Dealership in Columbus and present this terrible situation. I am also seeking legal representation.

- , Opelika, AL, USA

Nov 012015

Accord LX-P 4 cyl

No visible smoke. Not sure how serious this is. Car started making "rattle" sounds as the first symptom that there was a problem. Worse oil consumption during highway driving than during local driving. Is this normal?

- , Chagrin Falls, OH, USA

Dec 292015

Accord EX 4 cyl, I-Vtec, 2.4L

I got the extended warranty notice from Honda regarding the sticking piston rings issue in my engine, and it was an "ah ha!" moment for me, because my 2008 Accord burns so much oil I have to travel with a case of oil in the trunk because I cannot even get to the next oil change without having to add a quart or more.

So I took my car to the dealership to have a fresh oil change done so I can drive it for 1,000 miles and have an oil consumption test done. My car ended up burning 1 quart of oil over 1,400 miles and the Honda dealership is fudging the numbers on the invoice to make it look like "an acceptable rate of burn" as Honda calls it.

The dealership did not even fill my oil up to the "full" line on the dipstick during the consumption test, yet they are reporting only having to pour in 0.63 quarts during the test to calculate a "burn rate" of 2,223.8 miles per quart. That is simply not true, because I burned 1 quart over 1,400 miles. I even have time-stamped video evidence proving my oil levels both before and after the oil consumption test, and that the dealer did not fill up my oil to get an accurate calculation (proving the calculation is incorrect), but Honda Corporate is not going to endorse fixing the problem anyway.

This is my second Honda I've ever owned, but now it will most certainly be my last.

- , East Hampton, CT, USA

Jun 142012

Accord LX 3.2L V6

Purchased this car on 1/2/12 - pre-owned with 64,948 miles on it. From day one, we had to add a quart of oil every two weeks (1000 miles) or so. Finally took it in on 6/14/12. They first said it was a gasket and replaced it. Didn't help. Finally had a modified oil consumption test and was told that it was totally normal to use one quart of oil per 1000 miles and sent on our way. For 3+ years, have carried a case of oil in our trunk. Finally got the letter about the sticking piston rings and that they were extending the warranty to 8 years or 125,000 miles. Well, duh! By this time, most 2008's have more miles than that.

We called customer service and was told that since it was documented that we had it in way prior to the 125,000 that we could still qualify. So we took it BACK to Johnson City Honda for another oil consumption test. After 3,000 miles (six weeks - I drive a lot), they said I had used 2.8 quarts and that was totally normal! But when I checked my paperwork at home, on the 2nd recheck the technician noted that I had used 2.8 quarts, which would have put me at 3.8 quarts per 3,000 miles. They totally swept that under the rug!!!!! What is documented in the computer is what they have to go by!!!!! So I am hosed. Unless I want to have another oil consumption test...

But my gripe is that Honda evidently sets such low standards for their cars and plus they've known about this for a lot longer than a few months! I WILL NEVER OWN A HONDA AGAIN!!!

- , Abingdon, VA, USA

Apr 042011

Accord Not Sure 4 cyl

I just found out today that there was a class action lawsuit against Honda for this issue in 2013. As a part of the settlement, they were supposed to send a letter, extending the the warranty to 125,000 miles. had l received the letter in 2013 or even 2014, l would have been covered. However l received the letter in August 2015, which was 6,000 mile past the extension. I had been complaining of this issue since 2011, but Honda said there was no issue.

Here is my story below. PUBLIC NOTICE!!!!! Please Read if you own a Honda Accord.

"HONDA DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS" Honda Accord 2008-2011

This is a Honda Bulletin about these model year having an oil consumption problem and needs to be repaired if the mileage has not exceeded 125,000 (Extended Warranty). However, even though this is a MANUFACTURER DEFECT, they will not honor your vehicle if it has exceed this mileage or 8 years.

I have been complaining about this issue since 2011, wondering where my oil was going, and Honda said that there was nothing going on, so l proceeded to change my own oil. My engine burns 2.2 quarts of oil in 1975 miles, which is insane. Basically Honda told me that l am on my own and that l must take piston issue at my own expense. They will do nothing for me, even though that ask me to get an oil consumption test from the Honda dealer. Plus they were rude and unprofessional. I am very angry over this situation and as much as l love my Honda products and cars....l will never purchase a Honda vehicle again.

l am posting this to social media to see if anyone has experienced the same issue that l have and also, if anyone has a Honda Accord 2008-2011, under 125,000 miles, you need to have this piston problem repaired.

In the meantime, l am venting my anger out to see how much response there will be, to make people aware and hopefully make Honda step up to the plate. Which probably they wont do.

Thanks for listening.

- , Burlington, NC, USA

Jun 052013

Accord LS 2.4L

My 2008 has been a great car but I just don't agree with Honda as far as burning 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. Why bother doing oil changes. I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic oil and it drastically improved the oil consumption.

- , pelham, NH, USA

Dec 012015

Accord EX 2.4L

I own a Honda Accord 2.4L, and its been 2 years that grinding noise coming out of the engine, and burning oil. I'm using full synthetic oil, and also I have lost so much hours power on the car. I went to the Honda dealer they told me the car is not covered any longer because of the km. If there is somebody that had fix the problem please let me know. Thank You.

- , Montreal, QC, Canada

Sep 102015

Accord E 2.5L

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption

I am in canada ontario. I recently bought the 2008 accord. Then found out it burning oil. Took it to honda dealer they mentioned all 2008 4 cylinder are under warranty due to excessive oil consumption. They will be performing an oil consumption test, if they determined the vehicle is burning oil more then it should they replace it at no cost. This extended warranty is only on 4 cylinder models. But its best you check with your local honda dealer

- , Brampton, ON, Canada

Oct 052015

Accord V6

Found that the rear spark plug had fouled out. Reason this was happening was because the engine was burning oil. The reason this was happening was because of worn piston rings.

- , Providence, RI, USA