CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.8

2. per Honda consuming 1qt per 1k miles normal (20 reports)
  3. I heard that Honda replaced worn rings and engine short block (18 reports)
  4. call American Honda corporation to complain (10 reports)
  5. software update (10 reports)
  6. rebuilt the engine (8 reports)
2008 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 15)

Sep 022010

Accord AXL 4 cyl

Honda's TSB is a joke. This is a mechanical issue, not a software issue.

- , Pleasant Shade, TN, USA

Oct 062014

Accord LX V4

Recently I noticed that my engine is consuming more and more oil. I routinely get my oil changed every 3,000-5,000 miles as suggested in the manual. This last time, I was at the 2,000 mile mark when my oil light FLASHED; I say flashed, because the light did not stay on, rather it would go on only when I turn a corner. Clearly there is an issue as a Class Action Lawsuit has been initiated by people who had to repair this defect themselves. First, consumers should not be responsible for spending hundreds of dollars a year to maintain oil in their car due to Honda's error. Second, this issue can cause the engine to freeze/lock-up while operating which is a major concern while driving. This is the second Honda I have owned, my first was a 2004 and I never had issues with the oil. In fact, I would not receive a low oil notification until I was at 10,000 miles. Hondas have the reputation to last a lifetime; however, if this continues, I will be forced to purchase a new car that I cannot afford due to their error and refusal to acknowledge that this is a problem.

- , Canton, OH, USA

Jan 012008

Accord EX 4 cyl

We bought the 2008 4 CYL Accord new. We have had a Honda in our family since started driving. Shortly after purchase notice rattle noise from engine upon cranking motor. Soon after noticing noise noticed that oil was not lasting as long as manufacture suggested time for changing oil. Since purchase of car, car has consistently become worse in consumption of oil. I can barely get 1500 miles without loosing three or more quarts of oil. I had the update to the software done years ago which had no apparent resolution to the issue.

I am EXTREMELY disappointed in my experience with my 2008 Accord and even more disappointed in HONDA Corp as a manufacture and their ability to correct an obvious defect. I have worked for other foreign car manufactures for many years in the past and have come to the conclusion that the next purchase for my family will NOT be a Honda if they do not step up and completely rectify this issue.

- , Gainesville, GA, USA

Jan 012012

Accord EX-L

I have a 2008 Accord with 4 cylinders. I have to put in oil around every 1800 miles, when the red oil light begins to flash. This has been going on for years and when I service the car at Sussex Honda in NJ they keep telling me there is nothing wrong. For convenience I decided to get an oil change across from my job two weeks ago and the oil light started blinking last week. I brought it back to the local place and their answer was bring it to honda as we cannot find what's wrong but do know you're burning oil. They asked me if I had a warranty, which I don't. I can't believe Honda has been ripping off its loyal customers for years. My family was a loyal honda buyer but we just switched my wife's civic for a new Subaru. Now what should I do about my accord? Any advice?

- , Succasunna, NJ, USA

Dec 232014

Accord LX 1.4L

2008 Honda LX, dealer maintained for 6.5 years. Car stopped running three days ago. Towed to shop. The dealer wants $6,000 for a new engine. The cars blue book value on trade is $6,500. The dealer suggests that my only option is to fix. If Honda doesn't step in, I will donate Honda LX to local charity and take tax write off. I will also go buy a Camry.

Honda will not be getting 6k from me for their defect.

Michael

- , Durham, North Carolina, USA

Jul 222008

Accord LX-P 2.4L V4

What the heck is this .....? A car that burns oil as much as gas.??? This is bad and there is no recall for this. You are stuck with a piece of @#$%% from Honda and there is nothing you can do about it but trade the f-in car and never by a Honda again....!!! Had this issue since I got the car brand new and it's gotten worse.

* They( Honda) issued a "recall" for a software update on the "module" that controlled the burning oil in the engine but it has not done anything.....!!! How come this has not made the news!!!!

- , Lynn, MA, USA

Jan 022009

Accord LX-P 4 cyl

I have found my 2008 Honda Accord TWICE with no oil....I actually thought the repair shop where my oil was changed had forgot to put oil in it! Finally, I caught on....my low mileage Honda was burning oil like crazy! I did not realize until now that there were others with the same problem. Why isn't Honda Corp. doing something about this?! I paid a lot of money for my car, and now it likely will not last me very long due to this problem.

I saw that they were extending the warranty on the power train for eight years, but they did not include the 4 cylinder Honda Accords which is what I own. What am I supposed to do now? My faith in Honda is not very good now....they should have done what is right and fixed all of these vehicles that are defective!

- , butler, TN, USA

Dec 212014

Accord

I have been dealing with the oil consumption issue in my 2008 Honda Accord for years now and neither my dealer nor Honda Corporate have been helpful at all. I have had the VTC actuator replaced and the software updates and nothing has fixed the problem. I am currently undergoing an "oil consumption test", but frankly I am tired of the run around. I am aware of the lawsuit against Honda but it does not include the V4s. After researching and reading online I see that there have been a lot of complaints about this issue and I think that the V4s should have been included in the class action suit (Soto et. al v. America Honda Motor Co.) Hopefully someone is already taking steps towards a class action suit on behalf of the V4s, but I haven't found one online.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS PLEASE CONTINUE TO REPORT YOUR CONSUMPTION ISSUES ONLINE SO WE HAVE DOCUMENTATION. I am unwilling to spend money on an issue that is clearly Honda's issue. This is clearly in violation of the Consumers Legal Remedies Act, Unfair Competition Law and breach of express warranty. If end up having to spend money because of this issue, I will GLADLY start a class action suit as soon as I pass the bar this coming year!

- , Owings Mills, Maryland, USA

Jun 012010

Accord EX 2.4L 4 cyl

I bought my Honda accord EX 2.4L 2008 new. It has been consuming oil since it's first year. I noticed that oil consumption is higher when driving in mountainous terrain, when the automatic transmission downshifts to climb uphill and to reduce speed downhill. My Honda dealer told me that oil consumption is considered normal when below 1L per 1500 km. An oil consumption test on my car came out lower than 1L consumption and the dealer concluded not a concern, you need to change your oil every 5000km and check often.

I do not consider this normal. This is not my first car and none ever had oil consumption problems, even after 200,000 km!

Following the successful V6 class action for the same problem, 2.4L Accord owners should join to pursue the same route!

- , Moncton, NB, canada

Dec 012014

Accord LX-P 4 cyl

Excessive oil consumption. On cold starts, as I am accelerating, at about 2000 rpm there would be a rattling noise from the engine and the engine oil indicator would flash momentarily. The rattling does not occur again at higher speeds nor the indicator light come back on. At the dealership, this was diagnosed as a very low engine oil condition (despite there being 40% oil life on my Maintenance Minder Indicator). The dealer changed the oil and performed the software upgrade per Service Bulletin 11-049 recall. Reading other reports her makes me very nervous as the software update does not seem to fix the problem.

- , Eatontown, NJ, USA

Nov 032014

Accord VP 4 cyl

Honda is not providing Customer Service

Honda does not take responsibility of manufacturer's poor design and defects.

- , Columbia, MD, USA

Sep 012012

Accord LX

I am having this same oil consumption issue, the same noise upon start up or 1st gear as it gets low that many of the people here have reported. I am afraid of catastrophically damaging my engine.

I have read there was a list of VIN #'s eligible for some type of recall? Might anyone know where a list might reside? Also, I see there is a class action lawsuit for the V6's... why cant we, the 4 cylinder nation, follow the same path and begin our own lawsuit? There seems to be more than enough examples of evidence.... I will be looking forward to your responses on this thread....

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 012013

Accord Coupe EX 4 cyl

Everywhere I took my car, nobody took me seriously. Everyone thought I was just irresponsible with my vehicle, they thought I was not filling my oil up regularly, but now I see that there has been a class action lawsuit and this is a serious issue that will follow me.

Needless to say, I am LIVID. Now I am stuck constantly checking my oil levels and refilling. Great, thanks Honda.

- , Columbia, Maryland, USA

Dec 012013

Accord LX

Furious!! Honda admits there is a problem but states we must pay out of pocket to have pistons and rings replaced. This is my third Honda Accord AND MY LAST. Certain models were recalled and repaired (6 cylinder engines) but mine is a 4-cylinder and not covered.

- , Gainesville, GA, USA

Nov 242014

Accord EX-L 2.4L

I purchased my Honda Accord 2008 4cyl, second hand about 2 months ago from a Honda dealership. I noticed the class action law suit on excessive oil consumption problem recently and it drew my attention to the problem. So I checked the oil level today and to my surprise, I noticed the oil level is halfway under the min line! When I purchased the car, the same day the dealership changed the engine oil and now in less than 2 months ( 1000 miles driven) it has gone this low!

I called the American Honda and they asked me to take it to a dealership and pay out of pocket for oil consumption test, and if the dealership confirms there is excessive oil consumption, they (American Honda) will decide how to handle the problem and they DO NOT guaranty the fix will be covered or if they decide to cover it! (not being under warranty). I also mentioned the class suit action against Honda on this and the person said she is not aware of the result and they cannot help on that!

So I am wondering what to do? 1- I pay for the test out of pocket and finally the dealership says, according to our hand book, 1 quart /1000 mile is fine so you are OK! (while the whole lawsuit was questioning such problem) 2- Or again, I pay for the test not knowing if the problem is even confirmed by the dealership, if American Honda stands behind what they sell and fix it for me ( I mean cover the cost of fixing the product defect problem)! 3- Don't know how to join (if I can still join) the lawsuit in regard to this problem!

Update from Nov 26, 2014: I visited Honda Dealership yesterday. they checked and say it has not used much oil yet! and it is OK for now! i am going to monitor this and see what happens next!

- , Amherst, NY, USA

Aug 042014

Accord LXP 4 cyl

Oil change reading shows only 50% used but needed to add oil to crankcase.

- , Woburn, MA, USA

Aug 122011

Accord LX 2.4L

I use synthetic engine oil and every 2000 miles I have to add at least one quart of oil. I have checked, there is no leakage either. It has been becoming very expensive to drive this car any more.

- , Wixom, Michigan, USA

Oct 072014

Accord LS V4

My car starting burning oil a little faster than my oil change schedule but I thought nothing of it, until learning about the recall. When you mentioned it to Honda Service I was told the that the recall would take care of that problem. Well it didn't! The problem has only gotten worse. It went from me having to put oil in a few weeks before the oil change to having to put oil in every few weeks.

I took my car to Honda again who tried to deny that model year of car ever had a problem until I let them know that I was aware of the class action suit that had been filed against them. It was only then that they were willing to perform an excessive oil consumption test. Originally they wanted me to bring the car in every 1k miles but after I told then my car is not going to make it 1k miles without me having to put oil in, they asked me to bring the car in every week. The first week they saw no problem, which was probably due to the fact that I was on vacation and didn't drive as much as I normally do. The second week was a different story. They found that my car had gone through at least 1 1/2 quarts in just a week. I was told that Honda would fix the problem for me now that they were aware of it. Now 2 weeks later, several calls to Honda service and a mercantile Honda, (who called me very fast previously once I mentioned the lawsuit) is telling me that I have to authorize and pay for them to take down my engine so they can see what's going on inside.

Honda already knows that oil is leaking into the chamber and is causing the engine to misfire. they along with a few mechanics had already diagnosed the problem. So what now are they looking for? Sounds like they are giving me the run around and trying to get me to pay for a manufacturer's problem!

- , Jamaica, NY, USA

Mar 012011

Accord LX-P 2.4L

I have been dealing with the oil consumption for over 2 years with Honda Customer Service as well as my dealer(s). At first they claimed the service bulletin would solve the problem, NOPE! I am going through over 5 quarts of oil between oil changes. Magically I never hit their 1 quart threshold yet on a trip over the Smoky Mountains this August I burned 1 quart in 700 miles. Yet Honda refuses to acknowledge the problem. This is my 3rd Honda/Acura purchase and no doubt will be my last. Then to top it all off I find out yesterday that NADS who administers the Extended Warranty Reimbursement for unused warranties is in bankruptcy and has been in financial trouble since 2004, so my dealer sold me this policy knowing I might get screwed if I try to get my premium back as was promised.

No way Honda will get my business and I will make sure I tell every friend, business associate and stranger how they have treated me and thousands of loyal customers.

- , Plainfield, IL, USA

Oct 162014

Accord LX 4 cyl

My wife and I took a trip to Florida from central New York to visit two of our children. While in Orlando our car developed a noise that sounded like a heat shield rattling. I checked under the car and could not locate anything "loose". I then took it to a local Honda dealer to have it checked. Much to my surprise they told me that there was little to no oil on the dipstick and I would probably need a new engine, they added that they would not know for sure until they tore it down. I explained to them that I try to have the oil changed every 3000 miles and only went to about 4000 miles once! I explained that I had to return to New York and they stated to have an " oil consumption test" after 1000 miles.

Upon my return I contacted American Honda and the dealer where I purchased the car. I explained to the service department my problem and that I added 2 quarts in 1400 miles. His answer.. .. 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable! I seem to be getting the runaround from Corporate (phone tag) and my local dealer. I have two other vehicles and do not have to add oil between oil changes, a 1997 Mazda and a 2004 Dodge. l thought Honda had high standards, boy was I wrong!

NOTE: The oil light did not come on and the oil life showed 50%.

After the 1400 miles and 2 quarts of oil the oil life is 90%. I purchased this car new.

Honda do the right thing and make good on this. Admit the 4 cylinders have the same problem as the 6's. You cannot expect your customer s to absorb the cost!

- , Frankfort, NY, USA