CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.9

$1,297.00

2. per Honda consuming 1qt per 1k miles normal (35 reports)
  3. I heard that Honda replaced worn rings and engine short block (19 reports)
  4. call American Honda corporation to complain (13 reports)
  5. rebuilt the engine (12 reports)
  6. software update (10 reports)
2008 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 18)

Aug 012015

Accord

Burning over a quart of oil every 1000 miles can not be normal on a vehicle that only holds 4 quarts. You would almost be empty at the end of your scheduled oil change. The dealer/corp should stand by their product or they will end up without sales or a business. Fed up with the nonsense!!

- , Salina, KS, USA

Mar 012012

Accord

My Honda Accord has been sucking down oil for quite awhile now. I can't afford to fix it. I bought it when it was 3 years old thinking Honda's would hold up. Boy was I wrong. Honda needs to address this issue with a recall instead of making owners pay for it. there won't be as many of these vehicle's on the road soon, as they will all have seized engines from someone not checking oil every 1000k miles.

- , Charleston, SC, USA

Aug 272015

Accord V6

I took my car for regular oil changes to the Honda dealer, at least until last August when they told me they had no room to fit me in until after I returned from my vacation so I took it to jiffy lube and they informed me that my car was really low on oil. I was hearing a tap on start up but I just figured it was bad gas. So I started to check my oil a little more often and adding it when needed. They tell you at Honda that you should check your oil every time you gas up your car ... asking the women do you do that, " yes every time" can you hear the load of bullshit. So the lawsuit is 125,000 miles or I believe 8 years from time of purchase... clearly even with the original owner sell date we are just at 8 years ... I bought this used in 2011 only 5 1/2 years ago still in the timeline and only 112,000 miles on my care ... in the guide lines ... they are not going to cover it ... I must start a study through Honda and pay for it ... with no guarantee at the end of the day that they will pay for or fix the problem ... can you hear the line of sh*t still flowing...just like the time I told them I was losing air in a tire in my car complained 3 times and they put the tire from the back to the front ... still losing air ... and them telling me nothing is wrong ... finally going home one day passed by a tire place thinking what the hell can I lose ... 20 minutes later and 10.00 they removed a staple repaired my tire and I have not had a problem since ... Looking like the last Honda I will buy...

- , Williamstown, NJ, USA

Sep 282016

Accord LX

The dealership thinks its a good idea to check the oil on this car every Sunday. Like I don't have anything better to do every single week of my life than babysit the dipstick of my Accord.

They also want me to pay them $3000 to get the work done since the warranty has apparantly just expired. The frustrating thing is that I've been visiting two dealerships prior to the expiration, and neither one warned me to be tell them if I was experiencing excessive oil consumption. The fact that there was a manufacturing defect in these cars would have been pretty nice to know.

I've owned the car for a couple years now. I've been happy with Honda in the past but this 2008 Accord has a lot of "features" that make me want to stay away from Hondas for a while.

- , Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jan 012016

Accord LX V4

The Honda dealer has had me back at least 6 times to have them record the oil replacement, at 1,000 miles. They didn't keep notes. Bad recording keeping. I have to come back yet again in 1,000 miles. The usage was worse than the couple of times that they had recorded it.

They are wasting my time and energy, and now say that the car is out of warranty. I don't even have 100,000 miles yet.

- , Auburn, WA, USA

Jun 152016

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4 cyl

I change my oil religiously at 3,000-4,000 miles even though the owners manual AND online all say 10,000 between changes. i drive long distances for work. Car started a funny rattle even tho i had changed the oil about 1,500 miles before, and I thought it sounded like a heat shield, but checked the oil and it was completely dry. I know this site says to report every incident but I'd be complaining every single week when i'm checking my oil and adding to the damn thing. Pain in my ass. Bought a Honda as they are supposed to be 300,000 mile cars... baloney

- , Fulton, MO, USA

Aug 012016

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4 cyl

The car is using 2 quarts of oil about every 1500 miles, I have to check weekly, and add oil all the time. It would be completely dry if I didn't add oil in between 3,000 mile changes. Good thing I'm not a retard mechanically and check my oil, or it would have had catastrophic failure long ago. Everything I've read on oil change schedule online AND IN OWNERS MANUAL says 10,000 miles between changes. Bull hockey. Lucas oil treatment has no effect. I bought a Honda for reliability because I don't want to have to shoot a jerk in the face if I'm attacked while broke down on the highway near St Louis.

- , Fulton, MO, USA

Jul 142016

Accord LX-P 2.4L

BOUGHT 2008 ACCORD 2.4 LITER 06/08/2016 AND N 07/14/2016 I ADDED QT OF OIL.THEIR DOING OIL CONSUMPTION TEST NOW.

- , St P[aul, MN, USA

Jun 052016

Accord LX V4

2008 Honda Accord Coupe lx 4 cycliner.

The car is burning oil, every time I change my oil, it seems like 1 month later I have to put in 2 quarts just to get it back to normal.

I know there was a recall on it a few years ago, and I didn't have a chance to get it fixed because the car was not having any problems at that time. However, this is not the case recently as the car burns significant oil and the recall is not open anymore. Honda says there is no more recall on the car? Any help or suggestions

The car does have a rebuilt title but it was a minor rear fender bender.

- , Boardman, OH, USA

May 012015

Accord EX 2.4L

I bought my accord new. It has not given me a problem until last year when I noticed excessive oil consumption. They did know about this problems and failed to notify the consumers. I think it potentially could be very dangerous and costly problem, when the engine burns out or runs out of motor oil. Honda must notify the consumers and fix the problem

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 022016

Accord EX 2.4L 4 cyl

The recall Honda has issued on oil consumption seems like it is mostly concerned with the 6 cyl models. We have a 2008 4 cyl. model that burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles. But, the Honda dealership says it doesn't qualify for a fix by Honda. They want to check the oil 5 minutes after the car comes in before the oil can settle all the way back in the pan. Ergo they don't have to fix, since it doesn't fall into their parameters of consumption. If the car sits long enough the dipstick reads a quart low, but when you check at the 5 minute mark it is only about 3/4 quart low. Just outside their parameters. Convenient !!!

- , Smyrna, GA, USA

Jul 162014

Accord 3.5L

1. Excessive oil consumption

2. Excessive rear brakes wear

3. Battery drain if the key is in the ignition without engine running

4. Short battery life - needs to be replaced every 20-24 months.

- , North Hollywood, CA, USA

Oct 122015

Accord LX-P

FOR THE PASS 8 MONTHS IT HAS BEEN USING AN EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF OIL, I CAN GET AN OIL CHANGE AND IN TWO OR THREE WEEKS I WOULD TO PUT 2 OR 3 QUARTS OF IN THE ENGINE. THE CAR HAS NO LEAKS SO WERE IS THE OIL GOING? SINCE MY OIL CHANGE IN JANUARY AND THE ONE IN APRIL I HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING. THE SERVICE MANAGER TOLD ME TO PUT A QUART OF OIL IN THE CAR EVERY 1000 MILES, AND I TOLD HIM THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG BECAUSE MY CAR HAS NEVER GIVEN ME ANY PROBLEMS.

- , Bellwood, IL, USA

Apr 012016

Accord EX 4 cylnder

Not till recently has my oil levels dropped. Between oil changes I am almost down to zero oil left. I am forced to top off between oil changes several times and up to 5 quarts. I've maintained my car very well and it has only recently started burning oil. I contacted Honda and was advised the settlement warranty extension expired for me 3 months prior.

If I paid for a diagnostics from Honda, they would review my case, but because of the high mileage on the vehicle, it wasn't likely. I've been a loyal Honda consumer my whole life. This will be my last Honda for sure.

- , Brentwood, CA, USA

Sep 152015

Accord EX

Started noticing the excessive oil consumption about 2 years prior. FINALLY Honda quietly admitted there was a problem and bring the car in if you experience it. I brought the car in and the first step is to have an oil change and come back when the problem arises again. I brought it back after 600 miles when I heard the engine knocking and after checking the oil it was low. I was told that the oil level was fine; they topped it off and I was told to keep an eye on the oil light.

I heard the engine knocking and the oil light was on after another 1250 miles and was told the oil was not even registering on the dipstick. They told me Honda doesn't consider it excessive oil consumption unless mileage is under 1000, keep checking the oil every time I fill it up and bring it back when I have the problem again. I brought it back when I heard the engine knocking after 750 miles. They told me the oil level was fine and they completed the excessive oil consumption test. Still having the problem and will try to dump this car soon. HONDA - NEVER AGAIN!!

- , Saint Paul, MN, USA

Mar 252016

Accord EX 2.4L

I'm tired of topping off engine oil. Why is Honda not fixing it. I've replaced PCV valve, spark plugs and air filter.

- , Scranton, PA, USA

Dec 152015

Accord EX 4 cyl

In December my car was making a strange grinding noise in each gear when I was driving. At first I thought it was the heat shield. I had them check the heat shield when I took the car in for an oil change. When I picked the car up the heat shield was fine and the noise stopped. 2700 miles later I made another appointment at the Honda dealer to have the oil changed. Prior to the appointment the noise returned and the oil light came on. I was dangerously low on oil and found that there was less than a quart in the car. I spoke to the tech to try to remedy the problem. At first I thought a pcv valve and spoke to the tech about it... then I find out that Honda knew there was a problem with excessive oil consumption and a class action suite. It took two months without an answer of yes or no until I had to take matters into my own hands and complain to Honda. The mileage on the car was an issue however the techs told me I have a better chance than they do to solve the problem. I found another Honda owner who had their car repaired at 157,000 miles. WTF! I have never had the car serviced anywhere else other than one Honda dealer. After explaining to Honda and receiving the case number 04515338... After calling and calling they promised to get back to me to resolve the matter. Only after calling every day I received a call telling me that they would not fix the car and was told older cars use more oil. I told Honda I am not done with this. I went to the securities and exchange commission web site and obtained all the names from the CEO the CFO down. They will be getting an email about the fact that they knew about this problem and only after a law suite did they admit there was a problem. This is unacceptable after purchasing 8 Honda Automobiles, servicing only through Honda...not once has a drop of oil been excessively consumed until the 2008. My family needs this car. I am documenting every oil check and service record. The next step is having Honda change the pcv valve, the oil and oh yes THE AIR BAG recall! I'm pissed how loyal customers are treated.

- , Cleveland, OH, USA

Jan 012016

Accord Accord 4 Cly

I will never buy another Honda again. I'm going pass the word around who ever is looking to buy a Honda to beware of the problems with their engines.

- , HOWARD BEACH QUEENS, NY, USA

Feb 072009

Accord LX 2.4L V4

Purchased a 2008 Honda in July 2008. Pre-Owned (3,202 Miles). Completed my own oil changes and begin to notice that during the 6,174 to 11,500 mile oil/filter change (5,326) that the oil dip stick measured 1/2 quart low.

On all most all trips over 500 miles I had to add at least 1/2 quarts of oil. I had to continually check oil level at each gasoline fill-up and had two carry at least two quarts of extra oil in the trunk. It was always on my mind to always have to check the oil level of the engine. Well finally last year (2015 Sept) Honda issued a recall on the terrible oil consumption problem with the 2008 Honda Accord.

I drove to Columbus,Ga, "Carl Gregory Honda dealer". Presented my car to them for the recall. They set up the first Oil consumption test, which was to change the oil (at my cost) and send me on my way to drive 1,000 miles and return to the dealership for them to check the oil level. The first test revealed what i had witnessed so many times before. Within the 1,000 miles the oil level was 1/2 quart low. So they set up the second test for the next 1,000 miles.

Now I always had a question for the Service Manager. "what if the oil level reaches the bottom mark on the dip stick before the 1,000 miles is traveled. His response was this" if the oil lever reaches the lower mark before 1,000 miles, "Call me wherever you are, don't drive the car. OK, well it certainly happened, when I had driven 741 miles the oil level reached the bottom level.

I called the personal number that the manager had given me, you guessed it "No Answer, No voice mail". I have made calls to the DEALERSHIP AND HAVE NOT TO THIS DAY RECEIVED A CALL. THAT'S BEEN SINCE JAN 08, 2016. When I took my car to the dealer (Carl Gregory of Columbus) for the 2nd Test, I did not notice something had changed. Carl Gregory Honda of Columbus had sold their Dealership to "AutoNation Honda Columbus Dealership. The same Service Manager still worked for the New Dealership, but would not take or return my calls.

Now I can't drive my Oil Thirsty Honda Automobile because the Service Manager told me that I could cause damage to the engine if driven. Because of this I have not been allowed to drive my car for soon two months. My plans are to travel to the Dealership in Columbus and present this terrible situation. I am also seeking legal representation.

- , Opelika, AL, USA

Nov 012015

Accord LX-P 4 cyl

No visible smoke. Not sure how serious this is. Car started making "rattle" sounds as the first symptom that there was a problem. Worse oil consumption during highway driving than during local driving. Is this normal?

- , Chagrin Falls, OH, USA