CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

8.0

$1,444.00

2. per Honda consuming 1qt per 1k miles normal (38 reports)
  3. I heard that Honda replaced worn rings and engine short block (19 reports)
  4. call American Honda corporation to complain (12 reports)
  5. rebuilt the engine (12 reports)
  6. replace engine (12 reports)
2008 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 19)

Mar 012017

Accord Ex Coupe 4cl

We bought our 08 Accord Coupe and my son was driving it and noticed it would make a grinding noise starting up in the morning. We took it to the Honda dealer they could find nothing wrong but said there was a recall on something that might fix the problem ( it didn't)! Around 42,000 miles the oil light started coming on and it started consuming oil like crazy. I took it to Honda dealer and was told this was normal ? My mother in law has an 97 Accord with 200,000 miles on it that doesn't need any oil added that's why we decided to purchase an Accord. After going through tons of oil I decided I had enough and contacted Honda and was told I need to take the car to the Honda dealer and have oil consumption tests done that I had to pay for. They told me it was consuming normal amounts of oil according to their standards. I then found my daughter's friend had the same year and model car as me and was experiencing the same problems and again called Honda and firmly told them they would fix this issue or I would not put any more oil in and they would be replacing the motor since I had the extended warranty. I was then told to take the car to the Honda dealer and they would replace the motor with a used engine with 12,000 miles on it. Upon picking the car up the Honda dealer tried to charge me $350 for the repair which I refused to pay for and they said they would write off. The car now has 104,000 miles on it and right after our motor was replaced I received an extended warranty on the motor from Honda due to the oil consumption ( but there's no problem right) and now my starter just went . I have had nothing but problems with this car and won't be buying Honda again!

- , Fayette City, US

Sep 212014

Accord LX 3.2L

To whom it may concern,

I have noticed that my 2008 Honda Accord (VN 1HGCP26328A156599) has been consuming plenty of oil. After reading about the millions of complaints I decided to ask how can I get my car fixed by the local dealer. Two of my friends, personal and mechanics at the Honda dealer have said I should contact the Corporate Company and ask for the recall issue.

I have also followed the instructions from the site (http://www.hondaproblems.com/trends/excessive-oil-consumption/).

I hope this letter will help me with my favorite auto company.

If you have any questions, please contact me at 516.643.8596 or via email lowangarcia@hotmail.com. Best, Lowan Garcia

- , Hempstead, US

Feb 272017

Accord EX-L 4

My car is consuming way too much oil. It's not even making it to the 3000 mile oil change. i just had my oil changed 3 weeks ago and it has already drunk up 2 and a half quarts of oil. Took it to my mechanic yesterday and he said it was completely dry. This is the 3rd time this has happened since I have had the vehicle. This is really annoying. My mechanic says the problem exist because of the way the engine was built in my 2008 Honda Accord EX-L. I have a 4 cylinder vehicle so it doesn't fall under the settled lawsuit with American Honda. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would greatly be appreciated. Of course the car is out of warranty so I need low cost options to fix this problem or I am looking into getting rid of the car ASAP. I have only had this car a year. I did buy it used and I'm starting to believe this is why the previous owner got rid of this car.

- , Concord, US

Feb 222017

Accord EXL 3.2L V6

Bought this EXL last year for my wife, nice car, nice condition. 2 oil changes and checked oil yesterday, dipstick bone dry! Add a little from quart, little more, little more, little more...2nd quart yada yada yada...2 quarts to get to full! 2001 Impala - I call Crapala because it's my beater, but doesn't burn A DROP of oil at 137k, my 2002 which I fanatically maintain like my Crapala even though the body is rough, does not burn a drop of oil and could almost pass for new. I am restoring my 1971 Plymouth 'Cuda with a 440 6 pack engine, that I drove hard, for years...guess what, no oil consumption.

I rebuilt the engine with crank bearings, rings, cam springs and heads, but that was to de-tune it for better driveability. But this Honda thing has me pissed, 1-2 shift in the auto trans is odd, heard what I thought was a heat shield vibration but haven't crawled under there yet with the cold, but wonder if it could've been the 2 quarts of oil! Will have to drive it and see...called American Honda and gave them the vin and they told me I'm not included in the problem! Now what, pound sand?

- , Massapequa Park, US

Jan 012015

Accord LS V6

Like many others, you can't go a normal 3k miles between oil changes without adding 3+ qts of oil. If you don't keep a sharp eye on it, the engine could be compromised due to low oil. In addition, no Low Oil light comes on .... absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing that Honda thinks this is OK when the standard these days is 7K-8K miles between oils changes with no loss of oil level.

I will never buy Honda again.

- , Tualatin, US

Jul 132016

Accord 4 cyl

I cannot believe Honda American can justify 1 quart per 1300 miles as normal. Have owned four Hondas in past and ALL went well over 100,000 miles and did not burn more than 1/4 of a quart of oil. If Honda American does not step up to correct a design flaw it will hurt future sales as it already has begun to do. I like many others bit by this will NEVER buy another Honda.

- , Huntsville, AL, USA

Jan 022017

Accord LX 4 cyl

All of a sudden my Honda started to burn oil, like a quart to 500 miles.

Don't know what to do only 77,000 miles on this car.

- , Minot, ND, USA

Oct 192015

Accord LX V6

In early 2015 I started hearing a strange loud grinding noise coming out of the engine from under the hood when I started car in AM, and again all day when I would stop & start. I was going to a local oil change company (whose previous owner sold the company and moved to a different state) and complaining that I should not have to get oil changes so often; she told me that another customer with the same make and model was complaining as well. A neighbor knocked on my door in October 2015 and said my sister has the same make/ model car that you have; they contacted her about an oil problem/recall. I went to Landmark Honda dealership and they did an oil change (I paid for) and three oil consumption tests (every 1,000 miles). They told me my car had the oil consumption problems, but it was not covered for repairs “service manager will not honor the repairs” any longer because I had 140,686 miles and the warranty was for 125,000 miles or less. They gave me recommendations/an estimated price of $3630 to replace piston rings, but if that didn't work, then $9563.47 for a short block. I submitted a complaint against American Honda Corporation to the Office of the Attorney General, Virginia. That office sent my complaint to the American Honda, their response was I extended time and miles for the warranty.

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Dec 292016

Accord LX 2.4L

No engine light or low oil light came on......we have a new CRV and when I brought it to Honda, the mechanic only checked the oil life on the dash and since it was 40%, he said the vehicle did not need an oil change.....he never checked the oil level.....now I'm learning that the oil life on the dash has nothing to do with oil amount....that sounds totally nuts.

- , Wethersfield, CT, USA

Sep 082016

Accord EX-L 2.4L

I have a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L which I bought new. The car now has 153000 miles on it. After my last oil change I checked the oil after driving 1000 miles and it was over 2 quarts low. I replaced the missing oil and checked it again after about 600 miles and it was over a quart low. I have my oil & filter changed ever 5000 miles and this should not be happening. What can be done about it?

- , Simpsonville, SC, USA

Oct 212016

Accord LX 2.4L V4

I've been changing my Honda oil every 3000 miles (no matter what it was saying on the odometer). I noticed a weird noise last October and went to Honda Service Center in Parkville, MD. They told me this a common issue for most of Honda 2008 and 2009 models, and that's why Honda extended the warranty to 8 years/125,000 miles. But since my vehicle originally was purchased (by a dealer) on Nov 2007, the warranty was expired. I was told that still Honda can cover this because this was their fault no matter when you notice that. The guy in that service location told me that I noticed this late because I have been changing oil regularly and every 3000 miles.

They did the oil consumption test and charged me about $50 and after two checks I was told to contact American Honda regrading this issue and ask them to cover them. Now, I've been contacting both American Honda and that service location to resolve this issue. American Honda is still waiting for the results of the test from that service location. I called more than 20 times but the guy is not responding. finally, I decided going there and asked the guy to contact American Honda and tell them the test result and still waiting....

- , Towson, MD, USA

Aug 012015

Accord

Burning over a quart of oil every 1000 miles can not be normal on a vehicle that only holds 4 quarts. You would almost be empty at the end of your scheduled oil change. The dealer/corp should stand by their product or they will end up without sales or a business. Fed up with the nonsense!!

- , Salina, KS, USA

Mar 012012

Accord

My Honda Accord has been sucking down oil for quite awhile now. I can't afford to fix it. I bought it when it was 3 years old thinking Honda's would hold up. Boy was I wrong. Honda needs to address this issue with a recall instead of making owners pay for it. there won't be as many of these vehicle's on the road soon, as they will all have seized engines from someone not checking oil every 1000k miles.

- , Charleston, SC, USA

Aug 272015

Accord V6

I took my car for regular oil changes to the Honda dealer, at least until last August when they told me they had no room to fit me in until after I returned from my vacation so I took it to jiffy lube and they informed me that my car was really low on oil. I was hearing a tap on start up but I just figured it was bad gas. So I started to check my oil a little more often and adding it when needed. They tell you at Honda that you should check your oil every time you gas up your car ... asking the women do you do that, " yes every time" can you hear the load of bullshit. So the lawsuit is 125,000 miles or I believe 8 years from time of purchase... clearly even with the original owner sell date we are just at 8 years ... I bought this used in 2011 only 5 1/2 years ago still in the timeline and only 112,000 miles on my care ... in the guide lines ... they are not going to cover it ... I must start a study through Honda and pay for it ... with no guarantee at the end of the day that they will pay for or fix the problem ... can you hear the line of sh*t still flowing...just like the time I told them I was losing air in a tire in my car complained 3 times and they put the tire from the back to the front ... still losing air ... and them telling me nothing is wrong ... finally going home one day passed by a tire place thinking what the hell can I lose ... 20 minutes later and 10.00 they removed a staple repaired my tire and I have not had a problem since ... Looking like the last Honda I will buy...

- , Williamstown, NJ, US

Sep 282016

Accord LX

The dealership thinks its a good idea to check the oil on this car every Sunday. Like I don't have anything better to do every single week of my life than babysit the dipstick of my Accord.

They also want me to pay them $3000 to get the work done since the warranty has apparantly just expired. The frustrating thing is that I've been visiting two dealerships prior to the expiration, and neither one warned me to be tell them if I was experiencing excessive oil consumption. The fact that there was a manufacturing defect in these cars would have been pretty nice to know.

I've owned the car for a couple years now. I've been happy with Honda in the past but this 2008 Accord has a lot of "features" that make me want to stay away from Hondas for a while.

- , Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jan 012016

Accord LX V4

The Honda dealer has had me back at least 6 times to have them record the oil replacement, at 1,000 miles. They didn't keep notes. Bad recording keeping. I have to come back yet again in 1,000 miles. The usage was worse than the couple of times that they had recorded it.

They are wasting my time and energy, and now say that the car is out of warranty. I don't even have 100,000 miles yet.

- , Auburn, WA, USA

Jun 152016

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4 cyl

I change my oil religiously at 3,000-4,000 miles even though the owners manual AND online all say 10,000 between changes. i drive long distances for work. Car started a funny rattle even tho i had changed the oil about 1,500 miles before, and I thought it sounded like a heat shield, but checked the oil and it was completely dry. I know this site says to report every incident but I'd be complaining every single week when i'm checking my oil and adding to the damn thing. Pain in my ass. Bought a Honda as they are supposed to be 300,000 mile cars... baloney

- , Fulton, MO, US

Aug 012016

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4 cyl

The car is using 2 quarts of oil about every 1500 miles, I have to check weekly, and add oil all the time. It would be completely dry if I didn't add oil in between 3,000 mile changes. Good thing I'm not a retard mechanically and check my oil, or it would have had catastrophic failure long ago. Everything I've read on oil change schedule online AND IN OWNERS MANUAL says 10,000 miles between changes. Bull hockey. Lucas oil treatment has no effect. I bought a Honda for reliability because I don't want to have to shoot a jerk in the face if I'm attacked while broke down on the highway near St Louis.

- , Fulton, MO, US

Jul 142016

Accord LX-P 2.4L

BOUGHT 2008 ACCORD 2.4 LITER 06/08/2016 AND N 07/14/2016 I ADDED QT OF OIL.THEIR DOING OIL CONSUMPTION TEST NOW.

- , Saint Paul, MN, US

Jun 052016

Accord LX V4

2008 Honda Accord Coupe lx 4 cycliner.

The car is burning oil, every time I change my oil, it seems like 1 month later I have to put in 2 quarts just to get it back to normal.

I know there was a recall on it a few years ago, and I didn't have a chance to get it fixed because the car was not having any problems at that time. However, this is not the case recently as the car burns significant oil and the recall is not open anymore. Honda says there is no more recall on the car? Any help or suggestions

The car does have a rebuilt title but it was a minor rear fender bender.

- , Boardman, OH, USA