CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.9

$1,297.00

2. per Honda consuming 1qt per 1k miles normal (31 reports)
  3. I heard that Honda replaced worn rings and engine short block (19 reports)
  4. call American Honda corporation to complain (12 reports)
  5. rebuilt the engine (12 reports)
  6. software update (10 reports)
2008 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 17)

Jun 142012

Accord LX 3.2L V6

Purchased this car on 1/2/12 - pre-owned with 64,948 miles on it. From day one, we had to add a quart of oil every two weeks (1000 miles) or so. Finally took it in on 6/14/12. They first said it was a gasket and replaced it. Didn't help. Finally had a modified oil consumption test and was told that it was totally normal to use one quart of oil per 1000 miles and sent on our way. For 3+ years, have carried a case of oil in our trunk. Finally got the letter about the sticking piston rings and that they were extending the warranty to 8 years or 125,000 miles. Well, duh! By this time, most 2008's have more miles than that.

We called customer service and was told that since it was documented that we had it in way prior to the 125,000 that we could still qualify. So we took it BACK to Johnson City Honda for another oil consumption test. After 3,000 miles (six weeks - I drive a lot), they said I had used 2.8 quarts and that was totally normal! But when I checked my paperwork at home, on the 2nd recheck the technician noted that I had used 2.8 quarts, which would have put me at 3.8 quarts per 3,000 miles. They totally swept that under the rug!!!!! What is documented in the computer is what they have to go by!!!!! So I am hosed. Unless I want to have another oil consumption test...

But my gripe is that Honda evidently sets such low standards for their cars and plus they've known about this for a lot longer than a few months! I WILL NEVER OWN A HONDA AGAIN!!!

- , Abingdon, VA, USA

Apr 042011

Accord Not Sure 4 cyl

I just found out today that there was a class action lawsuit against Honda for this issue in 2013. As a part of the settlement, they were supposed to send a letter, extending the the warranty to 125,000 miles. had l received the letter in 2013 or even 2014, l would have been covered. However l received the letter in August 2015, which was 6,000 mile past the extension. I had been complaining of this issue since 2011, but Honda said there was no issue.

Here is my story below. PUBLIC NOTICE!!!!! Please Read if you own a Honda Accord.

"HONDA DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS" Honda Accord 2008-2011

This is a Honda Bulletin about these model year having an oil consumption problem and needs to be repaired if the mileage has not exceeded 125,000 (Extended Warranty). However, even though this is a MANUFACTURER DEFECT, they will not honor your vehicle if it has exceed this mileage or 8 years.

I have been complaining about this issue since 2011, wondering where my oil was going, and Honda said that there was nothing going on, so l proceeded to change my own oil. My engine burns 2.2 quarts of oil in 1975 miles, which is insane. Basically Honda told me that l am on my own and that l must take piston issue at my own expense. They will do nothing for me, even though that ask me to get an oil consumption test from the Honda dealer. Plus they were rude and unprofessional. I am very angry over this situation and as much as l love my Honda products and cars....l will never purchase a Honda vehicle again.

l am posting this to social media to see if anyone has experienced the same issue that l have and also, if anyone has a Honda Accord 2008-2011, under 125,000 miles, you need to have this piston problem repaired.

In the meantime, l am venting my anger out to see how much response there will be, to make people aware and hopefully make Honda step up to the plate. Which probably they wont do.

Thanks for listening.

- , Burlington, NC, USA

Jun 052013

Accord LS 2.4L

My 2008 has been a great car but I just don't agree with Honda as far as burning 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. Why bother doing oil changes. I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic oil and it drastically improved the oil consumption.

- , pelham, NH, USA

Dec 012015

Accord EX 2.4L

I own a Honda Accord 2.4L, and its been 2 years that grinding noise coming out of the engine, and burning oil. I'm using full synthetic oil, and also I have lost so much hours power on the car. I went to the Honda dealer they told me the car is not covered any longer because of the km. If there is somebody that had fix the problem please let me know. Thank You.

- , Montreal, QC, Canada

Sep 102015

Accord E 2.5L

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption

I am in canada ontario. I recently bought the 2008 accord. Then found out it burning oil. Took it to honda dealer they mentioned all 2008 4 cylinder are under warranty due to excessive oil consumption. They will be performing an oil consumption test, if they determined the vehicle is burning oil more then it should they replace it at no cost. This extended warranty is only on 4 cylinder models. But its best you check with your local honda dealer

- , Brampton, ON, Canada

Oct 052015

Accord V6

Found that the rear spark plug had fouled out. Reason this was happening was because the engine was burning oil. The reason this was happening was because of worn piston rings.

- , Providence, RI, USA

Aug 132015

Accord LS cyl

GM V8's had similar oil consumption problem. With similar dealer oil consumption test BS to keep from spending money on a fix. Evidently the piston rings get carbon-ed up and begin sticking, allowing oil to flow through and be burned. Also intake valve deposits contributed to this fouled engine situation; So some found that by adding transmission fluid to crank case, this helped remove the carbon and re-seated the ring function. Better treatment is using Marvel Mystery Oil treatment every 6 months at the end of the engine oil life for a clean out. Put whole quart in crank case and in conjunction use a bottle of Sea-foam in gas tank. This make the situation manageable but still need to check dip stick at every fill up. Takes a while to fill up any way. Keep an old jacket and gloves handy so as to not soil your cloths. There nearly are million 20008 Honda Accords, Honda cannot afford to rebuild them all, just to have it happen again. Toyota is looking good, but had a similar engine oil sludge is a few decades back which they went into denial about. -Bob Mc TX PE

- , Kingwood, USA

Sep 292007

Accord EX 2.4L

Excessive oil composition. Sold it in 10 months after purchased new in 9/2007. It used one Qt every 900 miles rep catalytic converter under warrantee. MFG said this was normal

- , Seattle, USA

Jun 012011

Accord EXL 4 cyl

1. Didnt take it to honda to fix, because what is the point, they just tell you "normal to use 1qty/1kmiles. Which is total BS.

2. Finally once my car has 145k on it, get the warranty extension notice if you car is 125k or less.

Basically as described below, because I drove my car more and had the exact issue they are describing I am not covered. Call 18009991009 (was given this number by warranty extension hotline). "we respectively decline your request". Their reasoning is because I didn't take it to Honda before I hit 125k and before they admit to the issue per the warranty extension notice. "Why would I take it to Honda when its all over the web what Honda said about the car 1qt/1k is normal" "I respectively say put it in your case notes I wont buy another Honda".

Just adding to the stock-pile of complaints enjoy, car has been good other than the break issue we all know about ($$$) and this oil consumption issue ($$$).

- , Fuquay Varina, NC, USA

Jan 012013

Accord LX 2.4L

My hat is off to Honda. I complained to my Honda dealer about the excessive oil consumption. It took a few months of diligence to get a straight answer about what they would do, but Honda eventually replaced my pistons, rings and all fluids. It's been about six months since the work was done and the cars is functioning perfectly. Thank you, Honda Motor Company.

- , Medina, OH, USA

Oct 282015

Accord EX 2.4L

I've been having an issue with oil consumption with my car since it reached 40,000 miles on the odometer. My dealership that I have brought my car to basically blamed me that it is my driving habits that was causing burning oil and found no resolution to the oil burning other than switching different oils and weight, but that still didn't fix the problem and as my car is getting older and higher in mileage the problem is only getting much worse. Currently I have gone through two oil consumption tests with the Honda dealership in the last two months.

Now since I received a letter from American Honda about the 125K miles and or/8 year warranty extension. Campaign:12-087 My car is at the Honda dealer as we speak and they have not yet contacted me if my car has been approved to get the repairs needed to fix it.

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Jan 012010

Accord

I have previously owned 3 Honda prior to purchasing a brand new 2008 Honda Accord. the ones prior were used and had no problem whatsoever. I've always thought highly of Honda. Not long after I purchased the car I noticed that the oil was evaporating. I took it to the dealership right away, that was back in 2010. I've been dealing with this issue for 5 yrs. It's frustrating because even after the oil consumption tests that they did its yet to be fixed. Every time I go to the dealership I get the same response. If I need oil just stop at any San Diego Honda dealerships and they will be more than happy to top off the oil for me. It's nonsense. To top that off my sensor lights have come on and Honda is trying to say it's more than the oil that is the problem. I called Honda and explained what's going on and their solution is to have another oil consumption test done. I already know the outcome. I'm so disappointed. My daughter is looking to purchase her first new car soon and is looking at the Honda crossovers, but because of all the stress I'm going through with my car I told her to look elsewhere.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 012011

Accord LX 4 cyl

I bought the car new from the dealership in 2008. High oil consumption began around 70,000. Contacted multiple dealers who had no idea what was causing it or how to fix it..At this point, I am having to put a quart of oil in my car every 300 miles...

I am highly pissed and disappointed that Honda has known about this issue for years and refuses to do anything about it..They continued to manufacture the crappy motor and put it in new Honda Accords.

As of today, I received the warranty extension letter to replace the piston rings...Well guess what?? It only covers vehicles with 125,000 miles or less...What BS!!!

Of course I'm stuck with this car, because I could not in good conscience sell it knowing it has this issue..I've been very loyal to the Honda brand for many years, but I will never buy another one because of this car and their unwillingness to own up to the problem and fix it....

- , Tishomingo, MS, USA

May 242013

Accord EXL 4 Cly

Took to Honda dealer they did an oil consumption test. Found that it uses 1 qt the first 2000 miles and 1 qt after till you change again, then repeat. Honda said that's normal and it has to many miles. The Honda V6 is fixed with unlimited miles and the 4 cyl. The capped at 125,000 miles. If it was a V6 they would repair but it is a 4 cyl and they will not do anything.

- , Pueblo, CO, USA

Oct 052015

Accord 2.5L 4 cyl V-Tech

It's amazing that a car that burns just under a quart of oil per 1000 miles is considered acceptable to a company like Honda. That they won't stand behind their vehicles is appalling.

- , Harrisburg, PA, USA

Oct 062014

Accord LX V6

Indicator light for the oil never came on. Was in Los Angeles and driving back to Bakersfield when the engine light came on. No oil on the dip stick. Since then the standard oil change is not sufficient, no indicator comes on but engine light does, when oil stick check no oil. However there is no oil on the ground where I park, where they do the oil change they state not sure where the oil is going. This continues to be a royal pain, I m afraid that without meaning to I am going to damage my car and since my husband recent death I don't have funds to buy another car.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Sep 232015

Accord

Our 2008 Accord has been burning oil for the past 4 years. We have taken it to the dealer multiple times asking and complaining about it. Each time we are told it is normal, etc etc.... No engine oil consumption test was ever performed, as we were told they wouldn't do anything.

Couple of weeks ago, we get a letter in the mail stating that Honda is extending the warranty to fix this problem, except the car has to be under 125k miles. Well ours is at 140k. I called the dealer and made sure they were aware of this and they told me to bring it in anyway. The dealer called me today and told me that they would not fix it because of the miles.

I called American Honda about it and asked multiple variations of the following:

Why do I get punished because I drove my car more than someone else with the same year that is getting theirs fixed?

This was a delay of notice, Honda has been aware of this issue for years, and yet they wait until the last minute to provide a solution? Honda told me that if I had really gone to the dealer to talk to them about it, they would have done an oil test (driven 1k miles and checked the level). Well they never had me do that so I am just SOL apparently. So since I have no documentation that I went to Honda about this problem before 125k miles, they will not do anything about it.

So they are willing to lose me, and possibly anyone else I talk to about this as a customer, just because they do not want to fork out probably a thousand dollars on their part? That seems like good business practice. There should be no mileage limit on this. I will try again to reason with them and if something changes, I will let everyone know.

Update from Oct 12, 2015: Talked with the dealer the car was purchased from. They are having me do an oil consumption test to see how much oil it really burns. They do an oil change, which I paid for, and drive 1k miles, and bring it back to see how much it has burned. I am going in tomorrow for the update on it, and I am pretty sure that I will get turned away because it has burned only about a half a quart... We will see though. One thing that is fishy is I have never put the full 5 quarts in on a oil change. They did, and it put the oil mark at above the full mark on the dipstick. I called and made sure they were aware of this after I took the car home. My first thought was that they were trying to pull a fast one on me and fill it more than full so when I came in, it would be at the full line still. As per the honda tech, "it will get lower when the car is hot." Now that goes against everything I was ever taught about cars, but it did go down to the full mark when it was hot. We will see what tomorrow will bring...

Update from Nov 9, 2015: So after the first 1k miles test they pulled the dipstick and said "You haven't burned a drop." So they are having me do another 1k mile test, and bring it back to them after that. Currently it is now down more than 1 quart. So technically it has burned more than 1 quart in the last thousand miles as per their own words. We will see how that holds up though.... We are going in today or tomorrow.

- , Magna, UT, USA

Jun 072013

Accord EXL V4

No more trust from Honda. I am not happy with issue because of oil consumption every 1000 -2000 range miles, I need to change oil. Each visit after we expressed concern over the oil consumption and in 2012.

- , Sterling, USA

Aug 202014

Accord LX 2.4L

In June 2008 bought this Accord from a Honda dealer, 2.4 lt, in August realize that its taking oil. My mechanic tells me that for some Accords it;s normal putting oil in it. 2015 never did much oil checking but that morning did it and was surprised almost 1.5 pint of oil and the next day I had a letter from Honda telling me that MAYBE my car could be watched by a Honda dealer, so did go and made an oil change. Went back yesterday after 2000 km one and half lt of oil. They told me next time they will send the report to Honda and they told me at 90% chance of getting my motor fixed. I will come back here and tell you more but one thing NEVER I WILL BUY ANOTHER HONDA.

Update from Sep 27, 2015: did buy it in 2014 not 08

- , Granby, QC, Canada

Oct 012014

Accord LX 2.4L V4

I carry a quart of oil in the door pocket at all times. Despite reporting the problem to my dealer, I was never made aware of any issue by them or Honda and only advised to switch to a full synthetic.

- , garland, TX, USA