CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.8

$1,426.00

2. per Honda consuming 1qt per 1k miles normal (27 reports)
  3. I heard that Honda replaced worn rings and engine short block (18 reports)
  4. call American Honda corporation to complain (12 reports)
  5. rebuilt the engine (10 reports)
  6. software update (10 reports)
2008 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 16)

Sep 302014

Accord EXL 4 cyl

I'm adding a quart of oil a week! While I change the oil and add to it repeatedly, I'm uneasy each time I get behind the wheel. "Will this be the day that the engine totally craps out on me?". It stutters when getting up to speed, has an irregular idle, and is prone to stalling at rest after being driven for a while. I'm a repeat Honda owner and have never had any issues until owning this oil guzzling 4 cyl. I have no idea what to do about this issue so all advise is very welcome. I'm not really into the idea of shelling out cash for Honda's mistake.

- , Stow, OH, USA

Oct 082014

Accord EX L 2.4L

I am a Senior Citizen and needed a reliable car. I always thought that Honda made some the most reliable cars in the world. I was totally disappointed with the serious oil burning problems and that you guys were dismissing the problems.

Please help me.

- , Glenn Dale, MD, USA

Apr 122015

Accord V4

Several months ago I started hearing a strange loud noise under the hood when I started car in AM, and again all day when I would stop & start. I had an oil change and was not anywhere near ready for the next one (I usually change oil between 3,000 & 5,000 miles). I stopped at a service station to check on noise. No one could give me any answers. I asked to have my oil checked & found it was almost on empty.

Went on my way & forgot about it until a month later when same thing happened. I had only driven about 900 miles & oil was completely gone. I stopped & asked several mechanics & no-one had an answer other than it was getting old.

It happened again today (the loud noise upon starting) & when I checked the oil was empty. I finally researched this problem online only to find this has happened to others. I am taking it to a Honda dealer tomorrow to get an answer.

- , Exeter, NH, USA

Feb 012015

Accord EX 3.5L V6

Own a 2008 Honda coupe. Bought it used from a "reputable" dealer a few months back. The dealer even sold me an extended warranty; not telling me there was an extension of existing warranty by Honda; of course. Only way I realized it was a serious problem was because my spark plugs stopped working. The car was very unstable; I'm surprised the car didn't stop on the freeway; could have been a very dangerous situation.

I took the car into the Honda dealer and they did a software update which they stated would fix the problem and I assume they replaced the spark plugs. The car is stable now but the oil consumption still continues to be a problem. I have to add a quart of oil about every 2 or 3 weeks. And I only drive the car to and from work (about 15 miles round trip). I'm going to try and call the Honda dealer again. But if Honda knows about the problem they need to be proactive about the issue and inform owners and have them bring in the cars to at least inspect them.

I should not have had to drive the car on the freeway like this! I'm just glad there are web sites like this one that inform people about these things. Will update my post once I go back to dealership.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 012013

Accord EX-L V4

Car burns all the oil. Honda dealership claims it's "NORMAL??." I can't even make it to 3,000 miles before the engine starts to make this knocking noise.

I've taken it to HONDA numerous amount of times and they claim there isn't anything wrong with it. I bought the car in 2011 (3 yrs old) with 38k miles. It was fine for the first oil change, or two, and then I started hearing the knocking. I'd say around 40-45k thousand miles the problem started. When I bought the "certified" Honda, the exhaust had this gurgling sound that I wasn't comfortable with. Had two separate Honda dealerships look at it and they both claimed it was "normal." Now, I read a post a mechanic claiming to not be surprised if there's old build up somewhere within the muffler and/or exhaust. I knew something wasn't right!!

Now, the class action lawsuit only covers 6-cylinder engines...How about the 4??

My brother-in-law also purchased one around the time I did, 2008 4cyl. He has the SAME problem. Drove from MA to PA and when he arrived in PA he had NO OIL!!

- , New Bedford, MA, USA

Jul 012013

Accord LS V6

My 2008 Honda Accord started consuming excessive oil in between oil changes I am adding oil, Honda motors tell me that I need a new engine and I didn't qualify for a repair by Honda because of the mileage, but regardless this oil leak was cause by Honda.

- , Selma, USA

May 032015

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

My 2008 Honda Accord started consuming excessive oil in between oil changes so much so that we were adding oil. There was no indication of this until the car started making a shrieking noise when starting it. I took it to Honda and one person said it was normal in this model year. A couple of days later I called my adviser who said it was NOT normal and to bring it in. Needless to say they said I needed an engine overall for $3960! This is completely unacceptable for a 7 year old car that has had all its maintenance done!! What was even worse was that they said they were seeing this a lot. SHAME on Honda!! No responsibility on their part!! This was my 5th Honda and definitely my last!! I sure hope someone comes along and gives Honda what they deserve!!!!!

- , Huntsvillle, AL, USA

Jan 162015

Accord ES V6

I purchased this car as a used vehicle from Honda North, a Honda dealer in Danvers, MA,on 10/19/2013. It was 5 years old but had only 20,000 miles on the odometer. The price charged was $1,000 below book value, but it was in pristine condition. The salesman sold us an after-market warranty for $1,000. He never told us that the warranty had been extended as the result of a class action lawsuit because of excessive oil use for Honda 6 engines. I was NOT told to check the oil at every gas fill, nor was I told the first time the car was serviced by Honda North (before the original 5 year warranty ran out) that the car was low on oil. Only after I had the oil changed by an independent service station did I discover that the car was using excessive oil. I took it back to the dealer who, in April of 2015, advised me to monitor the oil level closely and bring it back after 1,000 miles, but they have never told me about the known problem with this engine or the class action suit.

- , Salisbury, MA, USA

Mar 302015

Accord EXL V4

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

Bought used 5-1-14 from Sparks Nissan in Monroe Louisiana with an extended warranty provided by fpp. Noticed my Honda was consuming oil between oil changes, totally unaware of all the complaints and issues with this year Honda....this is my 5 Honda I have owned and probably the last...anyways went thru the oil consumption test with the dealer and found I was using over a quart of oil every 2k miles....the extended warranty was supposed to cover all internal engine parts so I took it in to have it fixed......after engine tore down to diagnostic problem warranty company said they will not cover any of it. so here i am going to cost $6500 to rebuild the engine at the dealer and in a rent a car for the month......stuck between a rock and a hard place with no one to help.....still owe twice as much as the Hondas worth and paid good money for an extended warranty that did me no good...fraud? theft? radthorpe1@yahoo.com...what are my options??

- , ball, LA, USA

Oct 292014

Accord EX 4L

During a couple oil changes at non-dealer locations, I was told that I hardly had any oil left, so I took it to Honda dealer for next oil change and complained about this. I was told that it just needs a software update, which I have already, so it shouldn't be a problem - they pretended as if this wasn't a known problem. I was told that do that oil change and let's see how it is during next oil change. About 5k miles into my oil change and I'm out of oil. Just had to add a few more quarts.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Accord EX 2.4L

I am really very displeased with the quality and expense of owning this Accord when it comes to the excessive oil consumption. I will not be purchasing a Honda again if this problem is not rectified. Paying $40 additional dollars between oil changes on top of already expensive synthetic oil changes is not my goal in a vehicle. I do not and will not pay additional because a car company this large cannot get their MFG together. Also, a car company that is this large will not buck up and take care of what is clearly an engineering or MFG defect. My business will happily go to one of their competitors.

- , Cuddy, PA, USA

Nov 042013

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

My 2008 Honda is burning through oil at excessive rates. There is a Class Action Law Suit on the 2008 6cyl but not the 4cyl? Why is this...what is Honda doing about the 4cyl...clearly there should also be a Class Action Law Suit for the 4 cyl Accord. I bought a Honda for the reliability and I have been nothing but disappointed with this Accord, between the brakes and the oil consumption this is not the quality from Honda I expect. I was planning at purchasing the Pilot in the next year, but after these issues I may have to switch to American.

- , Hampden, MA, USA

Dec 012013

Accord LX 4 cyl

I know have 106,000 miles on my 2008 Accord. I have owned it since 2011 with 39,500 miles. I purchased my Accord from a Honda dealer as a Certified vehicle and took it to the dealer for every oil change until it was out of warranty at 100,000 miles. It started using oil around 70,000ish miles and kept getting worse and worse. I was told by the dealer that it is normal for oil consumption between oil changes on the Vtech engine. Now it is using about a quart every 1,000 miles. Also it now as developed a rod knock at start up after sitting for several hours. I was told by a local mechanic that the oil pump is starting to go bad and it will be about a $950ish fix just for that, but I will still have the oil consumption problem.

This is my 6th Accord and I have NEVER had ANY of them start to use oil at 70,000 miles. My 1989 Accord with 215,000 used less oil then my 2008 Accord does now. Complete BS if you ask me. Honda Motor Company needs to man up and recall all 2008 Accords and replace all of our engines. Toyota had to have massive recalls and man up to take care of their customers. It is about time Honda does the same.

- , Westville, NJ, USA

Sep 042011

Accord LX 2.4L Vtec

My Honda Accord is using about 2 quarts of oil every 1000 miles. I am currently under going an oil consumption test, where I have to have my oil checked every 1000 miles for a 3000 mile period of time.

Update from May 11, 2015: American Honda demed my car as one of many Honda automobiles that had the rings on the Pistons installed improperly during prodution.

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 152015

Accord LX-P 2.4L 4 cyl

You know, 1,000 miles for every quart of oil used to be a huge deal to me, but now it's not. My accord has went through every drop of oil, and it has only been 1,900 miles since my last oil change! This is ridiculous. I mean the car is 7 years old and there's nothing much to do at this point. But how frustrating it is. My dealer is worthless, the only solutions they've had were to "swing by and we'll add oil at no charge." How inconvenient? I'll just do that at home and it'll save me the gas and stress of having to go there. If anyone is looking to buy a Honda Accord of this specific model year for themselves or someone else, DON'T.

- , St. Albans, WV, USA

Dec 312014

Accord

Bought this car used mid October 2014. Loved it, until I started having to dump a quart of oil every thousand miles in late December. I've gone through 5 1/2 quarts of oil at this point, and the lemon warranty expired, so I'm screwed. Checked the class action suit that I found, but it only applies to the 6 cylinder cars, although upon further searching, I'm finding a LOT of people with the 4 cylinder Accords that have the same issue. Are they kidding??? I have never had a car use this much oil unless there was a major issue.

Going to have my mechanic look at it. Not sure what I'm going to do from here, but I've had the car less than five months.

- , Mastic Beach, NY, USA

Apr 012014

Accord EX V6

Honda is being sued, class action lawsuit.

I called American Honda. They say it's not a recall can't help. Called dealer. They want me to bring it in, pay $180 for them to look at it and if it has a error code they'll replace and extend spark plug warranty. I tell them this is a very small part of the problem. They tell me to call America Honda again. Giving me the run around. Can't find a place to file in class action lawsuit.. Other than contact a lawyer and be out even more money.

- , Beaumont, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Accord V4

My Accord has been consuming about a quart a month. Then last wed., the oil lite light started flashing 10% after only 1100 miles since last oil change. I took it to dealer within 20 miles of driving. By then the oil life said -60%. The Honda dealer tech said there was no oil registering on the dipstick. I paid $1400 to get the timing chain replaced (it had stretched due to lack of oil). What is worse the tech told me I should really get the piston rings replaced for $3700 or check my oil every time I get gas. No mention at the time that this was an epidemic failure. When I spoke to another tech he said the 08 Accords are notorious for this and that Honda will normally cover the piston rings, even out of warranty. Not likely. I also own a Pilot with 150K miles but Honda just lost me as a customer.

- , Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Feb 172015

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4-cyl

You have got to be kidding me! Acceptable level of oil consumption is what the dealership states. This is the last Honda I will own. Disappointed in the car and disappointed in Honda for trying to keep this issue hidden.

- , Lake Mary, FL, USA

Feb 122015

Accord LX 2.4L

The oil consumption problem became very apparent just recently, bought the car new and never had an issue with this until now. I am afraid that oil will become a big problem in the future as noted by other users about how bad it has become. Hopefully Honda recalls their vehicles on this issue out of good will versus the legalities of the situation.

- , Round Lake, IL, USA