CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.7

2. per Honda consuming 1qt per 1k miles normal (18 reports)
  3. I heard that Honda replaced worn rings and engine short block (17 reports)
  4. software update (10 reports)
  5. call American Honda corporation to complain (9 reports)
  6. rebuilt the engine (8 reports)
2008 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 14)

Nov 242014

Accord EX-L 2.4L

I purchased my Honda Accord 2008 4cyl, second hand about 2 months ago from a Honda dealership. I noticed the class action law suit on excessive oil consumption problem recently and it drew my attention to the problem. So I checked the oil level today and to my surprise, I noticed the oil level is halfway under the min line! When I purchased the car, the same day the dealership changed the engine oil and now in less than 2 months ( 1000 miles driven) it has gone this low!

I called the American Honda and they asked me to take it to a dealership and pay out of pocket for oil consumption test, and if the dealership confirms there is excessive oil consumption, they (American Honda) will decide how to handle the problem and they DO NOT guaranty the fix will be covered or if they decide to cover it! (not being under warranty). I also mentioned the class suit action against Honda on this and the person said she is not aware of the result and they cannot help on that!

So I am wondering what to do? 1- I pay for the test out of pocket and finally the dealership says, according to our hand book, 1 quart /1000 mile is fine so you are OK! (while the whole lawsuit was questioning such problem) 2- Or again, I pay for the test not knowing if the problem is even confirmed by the dealership, if American Honda stands behind what they sell and fix it for me ( I mean cover the cost of fixing the product defect problem)! 3- Don't know how to join (if I can still join) the lawsuit in regard to this problem!

Update from Nov 26, 2014: I visited Honda Dealership yesterday. they checked and say it has not used much oil yet! and it is OK for now! i am going to monitor this and see what happens next!

- , Amherst, NY, USA

Aug 042014

Accord LXP 4 cyl

Oil change reading shows only 50% used but needed to add oil to crankcase.

- , Woburn, MA, USA

Aug 122011

Accord LX 2.4L

I use synthetic engine oil and every 2000 miles I have to add at least one quart of oil. I have checked, there is no leakage either. It has been becoming very expensive to drive this car any more.

- , Wixom, Michigan, USA

Oct 072014

Accord LS V4

My car starting burning oil a little faster than my oil change schedule but I thought nothing of it, until learning about the recall. When you mentioned it to Honda Service I was told the that the recall would take care of that problem. Well it didn't! The problem has only gotten worse. It went from me having to put oil in a few weeks before the oil change to having to put oil in every few weeks.

I took my car to Honda again who tried to deny that model year of car ever had a problem until I let them know that I was aware of the class action suit that had been filed against them. It was only then that they were willing to perform an excessive oil consumption test. Originally they wanted me to bring the car in every 1k miles but after I told then my car is not going to make it 1k miles without me having to put oil in, they asked me to bring the car in every week. The first week they saw no problem, which was probably due to the fact that I was on vacation and didn't drive as much as I normally do. The second week was a different story. They found that my car had gone through at least 1 1/2 quarts in just a week. I was told that Honda would fix the problem for me now that they were aware of it. Now 2 weeks later, several calls to Honda service and a mercantile Honda, (who called me very fast previously once I mentioned the lawsuit) is telling me that I have to authorize and pay for them to take down my engine so they can see what's going on inside.

Honda already knows that oil is leaking into the chamber and is causing the engine to misfire. they along with a few mechanics had already diagnosed the problem. So what now are they looking for? Sounds like they are giving me the run around and trying to get me to pay for a manufacturer's problem!

- , Jamaica, NY, USA

Mar 012011

Accord LX-P 2.4L

I have been dealing with the oil consumption for over 2 years with Honda Customer Service as well as my dealer(s). At first they claimed the service bulletin would solve the problem, NOPE! I am going through over 5 quarts of oil between oil changes. Magically I never hit their 1 quart threshold yet on a trip over the Smoky Mountains this August I burned 1 quart in 700 miles. Yet Honda refuses to acknowledge the problem. This is my 3rd Honda/Acura purchase and no doubt will be my last. Then to top it all off I find out yesterday that NADS who administers the Extended Warranty Reimbursement for unused warranties is in bankruptcy and has been in financial trouble since 2004, so my dealer sold me this policy knowing I might get screwed if I try to get my premium back as was promised.

No way Honda will get my business and I will make sure I tell every friend, business associate and stranger how they have treated me and thousands of loyal customers.

- , Plainfield, IL, USA

Oct 162014

Accord LX 4 cyl

My wife and I took a trip to Florida from central New York to visit two of our children. While in Orlando our car developed a noise that sounded like a heat shield rattling. I checked under the car and could not locate anything "loose". I then took it to a local Honda dealer to have it checked. Much to my surprise they told me that there was little to no oil on the dipstick and I would probably need a new engine, they added that they would not know for sure until they tore it down. I explained to them that I try to have the oil changed every 3000 miles and only went to about 4000 miles once! I explained that I had to return to New York and they stated to have an " oil consumption test" after 1000 miles.

Upon my return I contacted American Honda and the dealer where I purchased the car. I explained to the service department my problem and that I added 2 quarts in 1400 miles. His answer.. .. 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable! I seem to be getting the runaround from Corporate (phone tag) and my local dealer. I have two other vehicles and do not have to add oil between oil changes, a 1997 Mazda and a 2004 Dodge. l thought Honda had high standards, boy was I wrong!

NOTE: The oil light did not come on and the oil life showed 50%.

After the 1400 miles and 2 quarts of oil the oil life is 90%. I purchased this car new.

Honda do the right thing and make good on this. Admit the 4 cylinders have the same problem as the 6's. You cannot expect your customer s to absorb the cost!

- , Frankfort, NY, USA

Feb 012014

Accord LX 2.4L

I PURCHASED A NEW 2008 HONDA ACCORD 4CYL. THIS IS MY THIRD HONDA AND I HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION. MY CAR CONSUMES 1 QUART OF OIL EVERY 1500 MILES. WHEN WILL HONDA ADMIT THERE IS A PROBLEM AND DO THE RIGHT THING AND FIX IT? I AM PLANNING ON BUYING ANOTHER CAR SOON FOR MY SON AND WILL START TO LOOK AT OTHER MODELS.

- , Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Mar 222013

Accord LX

I noticed that My 2008 Accord LX started to consume excessive oil about 2 years ago. At the beginning, I just added about half quart for about 2000 miles. Right now it needs to add a quart for every 1500-2000 miles. I'm sure it will get worse with time. Honda should take action for the issue for the 4-cylinder cars as well.

- , Potomac, MD, USA

Aug 252014

Accord 4DR LX-P I-Vtec 4

My 2008 Honda Accord started rattling at cold startup. Noise goes away after 2 seconds. I checked the TSB list and confirmed there is one for this problem. It's the VTC Timing Control is defective. After checking the oil level noticed there was none showing on the dipstick. MM on dash shows 30% oil life. I drained the oil to check how much was left and it only filled 2 qts. I have 2500 miles since the last oil change. I then brought it into Honda dealer and setup an appointment for an oil consumption test and confirmation of the rattle at startup. Honda will check it out 9-11-2014.

- , burbank, IL, USA

Sep 052014

Accord LX V6

i JUST READ ABOUT THE THE PROBLEM, LOOKING FOR ANSWERS

- , mercer, Pennsylvania, USA

Sep 042014

Accord LXP

At first it was 1 Qt between changes, now it is 2 Qts between oil changes. My fear, what's next. The last car I had to add oil to between changes was a 68 Plymouth. Maybe Honda should give me 7 Qts when I change my oil with 2 in the trunk or top offs between oil changes.

- , Rexford, New York, USA

Jun 012014

Accord ES 3.2L

very disappointing to see the performance of this expensive car

- , Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Nov 142011

Accord EX 2.4L

I purchased a 2008 accord ex brand new, only have 68,800 miles now and the awesome software upgrade honda did was sh*t,, nothing was corrected. now my car is in their shop they're reluctant to replace my timing chain which is messed up because of this, but they are going to replace my pistons and rings and of course instead of them taking the blame i have to use my warranty. i am so pissed to say the least. i will never ever buy another honda again.

- , Ludlow, MA, USA

Aug 142014

Accord EX-L 3.5L V6

I purchased my 2008 honda accord from car max last year in 2013. When i first got the car it was amazing then one day the car started messing up. I took it back to car max the said it was a misfire in the cylinders so the changed the spark plugs. Fine i was a little uneasy about the situation but what the hell its a honda, it wouldnt cost that much to fix anyway. Then not even a year later the engine went out took it to lindsay honda in columbus ohio and they did a diagnostic check on it and could find anything wrong so they took additional time which ended up costing me around 330.00$ for a diagnostic check. Then they come back to tell me if i want to find out whats wrong with it then it will cost an additional $1100 to test the cylinders. Come to find out it was the same cylinders that carmax had found the misfire in!!! I tried to trade it in at the honda dealer ship but I owe a negative equity on the car and i couldnt apply it to a lease either at this point I'm pissed my wifes 2002 bmw 330i is more reliable then this piece of sh*t!!!! Honda's are going down hill I finally found a dealer that will pay off my car and give another one, but i have no negotiating power what so ever in the transaction because of the cars condition. This was my third honda and my last one ever. I will never be buying another one again.

- , Columbus, Ohio, USA

Dec 012013

Accord EX-L 4

Car has less than 100k on it. And less then than 2 months and 3000 miles after my last change, my oil light comes on and it needs to be topped off.

Update from Aug 19, 2014: This issue turned into an engine rebuild that I had to pay a $300 deductible for.

There is a class action for it so I will be seeking reimbursement.

I am picking up car tonight so I will speak with them about the resolution to the problem. Rebuilding the engine is fixing a problem caused by this. It is not fixing the problem.

- , Hazelwood, MO, USA

Aug 012014

Accord EX-L 2.4L V4

I have always had this vehicle (bought new) serviced at the same dealership. I began hearing a rattle noise when accelerating (around 2000 RPM) and the oil light flashed on briefly. I took it into the dealership and was told that I was about 3 quarts low on oil. I had the oil changed about 3800 miles prior and there has been no signs of leak or burning oil. This was the first time that the vehicle had consumed any oil between oil changes. Dealer service adviser told me that Honda Accords can consume up to 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. Curious that this suddenly began at 68000 miles. It was suggested that I closely monitor oil consumption and possible have dealer perform an oil consumption test that would require me to bring in my vehicle every 1000 miles.

- , Alta Loma, California, USA

Aug 082012

Accord CUP ES 2.4L

I have a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe 2.4 L and I have excessive oil leak. I have to put one liter of oil every week. It also makes a strange noise when cold starting. Is there any type of recall on this car for this problem, and if not how much would this fix cost?

- , Plainville, CT, USA

Apr 012011

Accord EX

I have multiple cars, one being a GMC Yukon with 187k and it doesn't burn one drop of oil between oil changes. This car started out great but it's highway millage dropped around 50k from 32 to 25 miles per gallon. I have had to deal with rear brakes that need servicing every 20k miles, I have to put a quart of oil every one thousand miles.

I have been to the dealer and was told it was normal for the brakes and the oil. It was only after the brake class action law suit did I get some compensation for the brake issue. I don't believe the oil consumption is normal and feel it is a rip off by Honda and their dealers. I have put up with it, but find that the recent class action lawsuit should include the 08 4 cylinder cars as well. I am scheduling the VTC replacement this coming Tuesday and it will cost me 450 dollar since there is no good will from the dealer. This will be the first and last time I or any one of my family members will buy a Honda. I will tell all my friends as well the poor manufacturing as well as the service for Hondas.

- , Cary, NC, USA

Jul 012013

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

I have a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4 cylinder with just over 120,000 miles. I purchased the car new and did not have any issues with it until the past year or so. My car would start up and make a noise like a lawn mower and when I drove the oil light would sporadically come on and my car would sound like it was sucking dry. This would then prompt me to go buy a few quarts of oil and fill it up. It didn't occur to me to google this until today as I am preparing to sell this car ask there seems to be more and more issues. I was really surprised to learn of this excessive consumption problem and a little disheartened that 4 cylinders were not included in the lawsuit and how other 4 cylinder owners have been treated by the dealership as well as Honda corporate. My family has always driven Hondas, we've own multiple Accords, a Civic, a Pilot and an Odyssey. We've never had any major issues until this.

- , Troy, NY, USA

Dec 012012

Accord EX 2.4L I4

Now my Accord is out of warranty and I'm afraid the motor will go out very prematurely due to me losing at least a qt a week. I see there is a law suit against Honda helping people with the V6 models but what about us I4's with the same problem? I would not recommend Honda to anyone at this point.

- , New Castle, DE, USA