CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.8

2. per Honda consuming 1qt per 1k miles normal (23 reports)
  3. I heard that Honda replaced worn rings and engine short block (18 reports)
  4. call American Honda corporation to complain (11 reports)
  5. software update (10 reports)
  6. rebuilt the engine (8 reports)
2008 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 15)

Mar 152015

Accord LX-P 2.4L 4 cyl

You know, 1,000 miles for every quart of oil used to be a huge deal to me, but now it's not. My accord has went through every drop of oil, and it has only been 1,900 miles since my last oil change! This is ridiculous. I mean the car is 7 years old and there's nothing much to do at this point. But how frustrating it is. My dealer is worthless, the only solutions they've had were to "swing by and we'll add oil at no charge." How inconvenient? I'll just do that at home and it'll save me the gas and stress of having to go there. If anyone is looking to buy a Honda Accord of this specific model year for themselves or someone else, DON'T.

- , St. Albans, WV, USA

Dec 312014

Accord

Bought this car used mid October 2014. Loved it, until I started having to dump a quart of oil every thousand miles in late December. I've gone through 5 1/2 quarts of oil at this point, and the lemon warranty expired, so I'm screwed. Checked the class action suit that I found, but it only applies to the 6 cylinder cars, although upon further searching, I'm finding a LOT of people with the 4 cylinder Accords that have the same issue. Are they kidding??? I have never had a car use this much oil unless there was a major issue.

Going to have my mechanic look at it. Not sure what I'm going to do from here, but I've had the car less than five months.

- , Mastic Beach, NY, USA

Apr 012014

Accord EX V6

Honda is being sued, class action lawsuit.

I called American Honda. They say it's not a recall can't help. Called dealer. They want me to bring it in, pay $180 for them to look at it and if it has a error code they'll replace and extend spark plug warranty. I tell them this is a very small part of the problem. They tell me to call America Honda again. Giving me the run around. Can't find a place to file in class action lawsuit.. Other than contact a lawyer and be out even more money.

- , Beaumont, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Accord V4

My Accord has been consuming about a quart a month. Then last wed., the oil lite light started flashing 10% after only 1100 miles since last oil change. I took it to dealer within 20 miles of driving. By then the oil life said -60%. The Honda dealer tech said there was no oil registering on the dipstick. I paid $1400 to get the timing chain replaced (it had stretched due to lack of oil). What is worse the tech told me I should really get the piston rings replaced for $3700 or check my oil every time I get gas. No mention at the time that this was an epidemic failure. When I spoke to another tech he said the 08 Accords are notorious for this and that Honda will normally cover the piston rings, even out of warranty. Not likely. I also own a Pilot with 150K miles but Honda just lost me as a customer.

- , Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Feb 172015

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4-cyl

You have got to be kidding me! Acceptable level of oil consumption is what the dealership states. This is the last Honda I will own. Disappointed in the car and disappointed in Honda for trying to keep this issue hidden.

- , Lake Mary, FL, USA

Feb 122015

Accord LX 2.4L

The oil consumption problem became very apparent just recently, bought the car new and never had an issue with this until now. I am afraid that oil will become a big problem in the future as noted by other users about how bad it has become. Hopefully Honda recalls their vehicles on this issue out of good will versus the legalities of the situation.

- , Round Lake, IL, USA

Jan 282015

Accord LX 4

Honda should be ashamed of themselves. Every car is not going to have the same problem. They know something is wrong when they built these cars. I hope someone files a lawsuit. I'm looking for a lawyer now because where I purchased my car, they don't want to fix. I only had the car 2 months.

- , saluda, South Carolina, USA

Jun 012012

Accord EX-L 3.5L V6

Consuming a quart of Mobil1 every 1000 miles is something you'd expect out of a Lada, not a Honda. I dread taking on Honda about this problem.

- , Cary, NC, USA

Jan 182015

Accord LX-S 4 cylinder

For every 800 miles I have to add a quart of oil. I usually end up adding 5 quarts by the time I change my oil at 5000 miles

- , Front Royal, VA, USA

Sep 022010

Accord AXL 4 cyl

Honda's TSB is a joke. This is a mechanical issue, not a software issue.

- , Pleasant Shade, TN, USA

Oct 062014

Accord LX V4

Recently I noticed that my engine is consuming more and more oil. I routinely get my oil changed every 3,000-5,000 miles as suggested in the manual. This last time, I was at the 2,000 mile mark when my oil light FLASHED; I say flashed, because the light did not stay on, rather it would go on only when I turn a corner. Clearly there is an issue as a Class Action Lawsuit has been initiated by people who had to repair this defect themselves. First, consumers should not be responsible for spending hundreds of dollars a year to maintain oil in their car due to Honda's error. Second, this issue can cause the engine to freeze/lock-up while operating which is a major concern while driving. This is the second Honda I have owned, my first was a 2004 and I never had issues with the oil. In fact, I would not receive a low oil notification until I was at 10,000 miles. Hondas have the reputation to last a lifetime; however, if this continues, I will be forced to purchase a new car that I cannot afford due to their error and refusal to acknowledge that this is a problem.

- , Canton, OH, USA

Jan 012008

Accord EX 4 cyl

We bought the 2008 4 CYL Accord new. We have had a Honda in our family since started driving. Shortly after purchase notice rattle noise from engine upon cranking motor. Soon after noticing noise noticed that oil was not lasting as long as manufacture suggested time for changing oil. Since purchase of car, car has consistently become worse in consumption of oil. I can barely get 1500 miles without loosing three or more quarts of oil. I had the update to the software done years ago which had no apparent resolution to the issue.

I am EXTREMELY disappointed in my experience with my 2008 Accord and even more disappointed in HONDA Corp as a manufacture and their ability to correct an obvious defect. I have worked for other foreign car manufactures for many years in the past and have come to the conclusion that the next purchase for my family will NOT be a Honda if they do not step up and completely rectify this issue.

- , Gainesville, GA, USA

Jan 012012

Accord EX-L

I have a 2008 Accord with 4 cylinders. I have to put in oil around every 1800 miles, when the red oil light begins to flash. This has been going on for years and when I service the car at Sussex Honda in NJ they keep telling me there is nothing wrong. For convenience I decided to get an oil change across from my job two weeks ago and the oil light started blinking last week. I brought it back to the local place and their answer was bring it to honda as we cannot find what's wrong but do know you're burning oil. They asked me if I had a warranty, which I don't. I can't believe Honda has been ripping off its loyal customers for years. My family was a loyal honda buyer but we just switched my wife's civic for a new Subaru. Now what should I do about my accord? Any advice?

- , Succasunna, NJ, USA

Dec 232014

Accord LX 1.4L

2008 Honda LX, dealer maintained for 6.5 years. Car stopped running three days ago. Towed to shop. The dealer wants $6,000 for a new engine. The cars blue book value on trade is $6,500. The dealer suggests that my only option is to fix. If Honda doesn't step in, I will donate Honda LX to local charity and take tax write off. I will also go buy a Camry.

Honda will not be getting 6k from me for their defect.

Michael

- , Durham, North Carolina, USA

Jul 222008

Accord LX-P 2.4L V4

What the heck is this .....? A car that burns oil as much as gas.??? This is bad and there is no recall for this. You are stuck with a piece of @#$%% from Honda and there is nothing you can do about it but trade the f-in car and never by a Honda again....!!! Had this issue since I got the car brand new and it's gotten worse.

* They( Honda) issued a "recall" for a software update on the "module" that controlled the burning oil in the engine but it has not done anything.....!!! How come this has not made the news!!!!

- , Lynn, MA, USA

Jan 022009

Accord LX-P 4 cyl

I have found my 2008 Honda Accord TWICE with no oil....I actually thought the repair shop where my oil was changed had forgot to put oil in it! Finally, I caught on....my low mileage Honda was burning oil like crazy! I did not realize until now that there were others with the same problem. Why isn't Honda Corp. doing something about this?! I paid a lot of money for my car, and now it likely will not last me very long due to this problem.

I saw that they were extending the warranty on the power train for eight years, but they did not include the 4 cylinder Honda Accords which is what I own. What am I supposed to do now? My faith in Honda is not very good now....they should have done what is right and fixed all of these vehicles that are defective!

- , butler, TN, USA

Dec 212014

Accord

I have been dealing with the oil consumption issue in my 2008 Honda Accord for years now and neither my dealer nor Honda Corporate have been helpful at all. I have had the VTC actuator replaced and the software updates and nothing has fixed the problem. I am currently undergoing an "oil consumption test", but frankly I am tired of the run around. I am aware of the lawsuit against Honda but it does not include the V4s. After researching and reading online I see that there have been a lot of complaints about this issue and I think that the V4s should have been included in the class action suit (Soto et. al v. America Honda Motor Co.) Hopefully someone is already taking steps towards a class action suit on behalf of the V4s, but I haven't found one online.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS PLEASE CONTINUE TO REPORT YOUR CONSUMPTION ISSUES ONLINE SO WE HAVE DOCUMENTATION. I am unwilling to spend money on an issue that is clearly Honda's issue. This is clearly in violation of the Consumers Legal Remedies Act, Unfair Competition Law and breach of express warranty. If end up having to spend money because of this issue, I will GLADLY start a class action suit as soon as I pass the bar this coming year!

- , Owings Mills, Maryland, USA

Jun 012010

Accord EX 2.4L 4 cyl

I bought my Honda accord EX 2.4L 2008 new. It has been consuming oil since it's first year. I noticed that oil consumption is higher when driving in mountainous terrain, when the automatic transmission downshifts to climb uphill and to reduce speed downhill. My Honda dealer told me that oil consumption is considered normal when below 1L per 1500 km. An oil consumption test on my car came out lower than 1L consumption and the dealer concluded not a concern, you need to change your oil every 5000km and check often.

I do not consider this normal. This is not my first car and none ever had oil consumption problems, even after 200,000 km!

Following the successful V6 class action for the same problem, 2.4L Accord owners should join to pursue the same route!

- , Moncton, NB, canada

Dec 012014

Accord LX-P 4 cyl

Excessive oil consumption. On cold starts, as I am accelerating, at about 2000 rpm there would be a rattling noise from the engine and the engine oil indicator would flash momentarily. The rattling does not occur again at higher speeds nor the indicator light come back on. At the dealership, this was diagnosed as a very low engine oil condition (despite there being 40% oil life on my Maintenance Minder Indicator). The dealer changed the oil and performed the software upgrade per Service Bulletin 11-049 recall. Reading other reports her makes me very nervous as the software update does not seem to fix the problem.

- , Eatontown, NJ, USA

Nov 032014

Accord VP 4 cyl

Honda is not providing Customer Service

Honda does not take responsibility of manufacturer's poor design and defects.

- , Columbia, MD, USA