CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.3

2. new coil and spark plug (1 reports)
  3. replace cylinder 3 spark plug, computer upgrade (1 reports)
2009 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Jul 032014

Accord EX L V6

Honda has this huge suit that they just settled regarding the misfire on the car cylinders. It cover cylinders 1 thru 4 but 5 and 6 are left out if you have a v6. Cylinder 2 went at 43,000 so I had a new coil and spark plug put on free of charge buy my then local Honda dealer. Cylinder 5 just went at 69,000 and cost over 300 dollars, the dealer I took it to said it was not covered under warranty. It was the exact same fix as cylinder 2 but because it was cylinder 5 it was not covered. Fouled spark plug and coil replacement. I will never buy another Honda as long as I live, these plugs are suppose to be good for 100 thousand miles and they are not, this is really disappointing.

- , New Castle, NH, USA

Jul 012012

Accord EX-L 3.5L V6

While driving home from a weekend trip away, the check engine light started flashing as I was cruising on the highway. I pulled off at the next exit and stopped at the first place I could. When idling, the car was shuddering and sounded as if one of the cylinders was misfiring. Given that I didn't want to damage the car by continuing to drive it, I had it towed to the closest Honda dealership. It was Sunday and all shops were closed, so I had to have a relative in the area pick me up and take me to the closest airport, where I got a rental car and drove the rest of the way home.

The next day, the Honda dealership notified me that the 3rd cylinder spark plug was fouled and would need to be replaced, along with with a computer upgrade. He mentioned that this was becoming a common problem with all Honda V6 engines, but it still wasn't covered, so I had to pay $150 for the repairs on spark plugs that are rated for 100,000 miles, even though I was below 65K. Total cost after towing and rental car was well over $300, not to mentioned the huge inconvenience of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Dealership was also concerned about excessive oil consumption, so they have started me on an oil consumption test. This is not something that I should have the burden of doing on a 3 year old car that has been maintained perfectly according to schedule. Not happy!

- , Ferndale, Michigan (MI), USA

Sep 162012

Accord EXL 3.2L V6

The check engine light came on when I was traveling home from a 2 hr drive. The car was jerking when idle at the stop light and wouldn't accelerate through the light. The check engine light indicated that a spark plug was bad and that one of the 3 engine cores was bad. Estimates were around $400 to fix when the car, which only has 42,000 miles on it. The dealership admitted that the spark plug should never go this early and blamed our driving habits for the engine core going bad. Nothing was covered by the warranty. We just let them do an oil change and the problem has gone away so far. We just aren't sure when the check engine light will come back on since we didn't let them fix it.

- , Palatine, IL, USA

Sep 092012

Accord EX 3.2L V6

Engine light flashing Eco light out. I slowed down to turn and in the middle of the turn the engine light started flashing. This also happened 18 months after purchase . Single owner.

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Jan 302013

Accord EX-L V6

My vehicle has been plagued with Cylinder 3 misfires (P0303 code) since my 2nd year of ownership ---- here's the history:

At 29000 miles, check engine light turns on and vehicle begin to shudder badly and run rough once I'm off the highway and slow down at a light. Vehicle runs rough until I turn it off and return to drive ~8 hours later. Runs fine until ~35 miles into the drive when the problem arises again. Took the car to Honda service center, they diagnose the problem as cylinder misfire, update the PCM software (per a Honda bulletin) and replace a fouled spark plug.

Car runs fine until.............13 months later at 49000 miles. Same problem arises, same diagnosis....cylinder 3 misfire. Spark plug replaced and I'm sent on my way.

All is well until.............10 months later at 60200 (most recent occurrence) when the same problem arose. This time, however, the car ran fine after waiting 8 hours to take it to a service center. When I arrived with no check engine light, the center refused to service the vehicle because they claimed to need a check engine light for accurate diagnosis.

I've read how this problem arises from overtightened valves within the engine and that to fix this costs ~$600-800 just to look inside the engine for the problem, followed by ~$6000-7000 for engine repairs. American Honda Services may or may not cover some of the cost for this repair. If the problem is untreated, it apparently slowly scores the inside of the cylinders and does cumulative damage to the engine. It's only a matter of time/mileage until the problem requires a major engine repair ($6-7K). This is a huge problem for Honda with their 2008-2011 Accord lines that is related to Eco-mode. Apparently frequent long highway/constant speed driving exacerbates the issue. For this to truly be fixed, Honda would need to recall all cars and pay a large amount of money to replace substantial portions of many Accord owners' engines. Of course, they don't want to do that, so they ignore the main problem (overtightened valves) and just treat the symptom (replace spark plug, update PCM software, await imminent future spark plug fouling in ~9-12 months).

Aside from this problem, I really liked this car and wanted to keep it for the long haul. This was a terrible, engine-destroying, deal-breaking problem that Honda refuses to treat properly with a full recall. They've lost a Honda customer for life. I refused to deal with this problem to the tune of 1-2 days without my car and $200 every 9-12 months and didn't want to eventually deal with begging American Honda Services to pay for at least part of the $6000-7000 engine repair that would be needed to fix the problem. I traded in my car at only 3.5 years of ownership for a Toyota Avalon. Not looking back. I'd advise anyone suffering from this problem to do the same and to post their experience so Honda understands exactly how these failures are costing them lifelong customers.

- , Bethesda, MD, USA

May 202013

Accord EX V6

Check engine light turns on while driving on the freeway. The car doesn't feel any different, acceleration was fine and there were no noise. My oil change reminder turned on several days before this event. Took it in for a diagnostic and also get my oil change. Diagnostic result indicate oil level was low and they asked I return after 1000 miles for them to check on it. Spend $150 for them to tell me this. ;-(

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Mar 082011

Accord EX 3.5L V6

My 2009 Honda Accord first went into the shop on 3/08/11 with rough idling and the engine malfunction indicator on. I was told that the spark plug for cylinder #3 was fouled and was charged $240.10 to have all spark plugs replaced. It seemed early to have a fouled spark plug since the car was just over 2 years old and had only 59,642 miles on it, but the problem seemed to be resolved and I didn't give it much more thought. I began having intermittent problems again in April of '12 with a rough idle and engine malfunction indicator coming on. This occurred at approximately 85,000 miles. I took it back to the dealership in September of '12 and was told that I needed a software update and was charged another $105. Approximately 1 month later the problem reoccurred and I took it to the dealership again. This time they diagnosed the problem of oil leaking into the #3 cylinder causing the spark plug to fail. They recommended a new short block, new intake and exhaust rockers on #3 cylinder and install new valve stem seals on all cylinders at a cost of $7,586.07. I have not had the repair completed yet because of the exorbitant cost compared to the value of the car. I'm frankly very surprised that a manufacturer with a reputation of quality such as Honda has not addressed what appears to be a known and wide spread issue. This is the fifth Honda I've owned and have returned repeatedly solely because of their reputation for reliability. Shame on you Honda for failing to stand behind your work!

- , Owasso, OK, USA

Sep 092012

Accord EX 3.2L V6

While turning as I exited the highway the light came on, no noticeable difference in performance. The manual indicated to check the gas cap and wait. I notice a sputtering at initial acceleration or idling. Rpm soft.

I have had problems before at 21000 miles.

I have own many Honda and have never had problems with the engine.

I should have thought twice based on the Eco transmission?

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

May 212011

Accord V6

Had the issue before and now again. Before it was an issue with spark plugs so will have to see what is happening now.

Mar 172010

Accord V6

while driving car engine light went on took car to the n earest honda dealer, first question when did you put gas in. well they adjusted some things after keeping my car for 2 days and said they really cant find anything this was March 17 On April 22 well guess what same problem and again the first question was when did you put gas in. The result 2 bad spark plugs from ofcourse bad gas. I think that this car is garbage and I would never get another Honda. I am someone how had 4 Hondas and always felt this car was the best. HONDA YOU STINK

- , Long Beach, NY, USA

May 312010

Accord V6

I agree with all the others as this is the last honda I will own for a long time. This is a brand new car and going back to the shop for yet another repair.

Apr 152010

Accord EX 3.5L

3rd time the check engine light has come on. The previous 2 times the error message was for a "Cold start cylinder skip". This time it was worse. Not only was there a cylinder skip, but there also were other messages (vtec?). Also, a tip of one of the ceramic spark plugs had broken off and there was major oil consumption. They had not reported the oil consumption issue on my previous visits. Either they didn't check for it or they decided not to tell me about it. Anyway, they now want me to come back after the next 1000 miles. Another pain. The dealer is not local and I have to take 1/2 day off from work. I've had 2 other Honda Accords and a Toyota Solara for a total of 480,000 miles and have never had the oil consumption problem or check engine light issues as I'm having with this Honda.

It's the first time in 36 yrs that I would NOT recommend the car I'm driving to a friend. I believe Honda's V6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management is a lemon that they rushed to market. I wished I had followed a co-worker's lead and bought a 4 cyl instead. He has had no problems with his car. More later after my next visit.

- , Whitehouse Station, NJ, USA

Jul 152009

Accord EX 3.5L

First time the check engine light came on with a "Cold start, cylinder skip" error message. All they did was reset the computer. See 3rd complaint for more details.

- , Whitehouse Station, NJ, USA

Mar 242010

Accord V6

This is a new car and have had to spend more time in the shop than enjoying the drive.

Jan 252010

Accord EXL 3.5L V6

At 3,600 miles, the check engine light came on but the car seemed to run fine. I had noticied a slight fuel smell from the exhaust only once. Sloan Honda dignosed it as a bad EGR Valve and replaced it. After it was replaced, the car is running very rough and I now have a vibration coming through the gas pedal and brake pedal when just idling. The car also does not have the same pick-up as it did prior to the EGR Valve replacement. Before this fix, the car was smooth and no vibrations or roughness. The car has been in twice now and they say everything is normal. At 3600 miles this car does not run like it did prior to the EGR Valve repair. There service department states nothing is wrong and it is normal. Service Dept is useless and ignoring the problem. Looking into a Lemon Law attorney and would NOT recommend SLOAN HONDA in PHILADELPHIA for sales OR Service.

- , Willow Grove, PA, USA