CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.9

2. dealer wants to do a consumption test first (19 reports)
  3. Honda said burning 1 quart of oil every 1600 miles is normal (8 reports)
  4. reprogram computer software (6 reports)
  5. replace pistons and rings (5 reports)
  6. i was told by several mechanics its rings or valve gasket (3 reports)
2009 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jul 012016

Accord ES 2.4L 6 cyl

My 2009 Honda Accord was purchased by our local Honda dealer off the lot brand new. Vehicle has always a good vehicle and no serious problems. It was in a minor crash and had some of the frame readjusted. Recently, (within 6 months) I have noticed the vehicle consuming more oil than usual. Sometime the car will be so low on oil it will make a large rattling noise and I have to stop to put more oil in. I followed up with Honda to see what I could do with the extended warranty notice I received in the mail regarding the vehicle. The extended warranty stated that the piston rings may be sticking more than usual and the vehicle could be consuming more oil than normal. The warranty stated it was good for up to 8 years from the purchase or 125,000 miles, whichever came first. At the time the Honda was at 134,000 miles. Honda told me to take it to my local Honda dealer and ask how to start the process on the piston rings. The local dealer stated they needed to start with an oil consumption test with an oil change, then I would have to come back after 1,000 miles for them to track the oil. I brought the vehicle in and was dealt with more bad news. The local dealer stated that I could not start the oil consumption test until I fixed two other oil leaks the vehicle currently has. I was told the vehicle has a valve gasket leak which also needed a valve adjustment as well as a crank seal leak. The local dealer quoted me that the valve gasket would cost $225, the valve adjustment would be $325, and the crank seal leak would be $245. Everywhere I have heard otherwise the cost of these fixes would be much more than I was quoted. After receiving this news I called Honda again to create a claim. I still have not been able to speak to my case representative on the problem. My concern is that the sticking piston rings could have lead to the two other leaks my vehicle is having. I feel as though Honda needs to cover the costs to fix this problem seeing as though the piston rings are an ongoing issue.

- , Casco, ME, USA

Nov 252016

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4

Well I started my car one day, and drove off to school. Noticed every time I accelerated I noticed as soon as the rpm his 3000 it started giving this wining sound. At first I thought it was nothing then I started noticing it every time I drove. I didn't know what the problem was, everything seemed fine, it is a clean engine and I always repaired it every time something happens. I took it to my friend's shop and he put some oil in engine, he also noticed the sound so we both did our research and discovered that this is a common thing with Hondas. I eventually filled up my oil and now I can still feel it burn and the oil consumption is way out of hand. In less than a week the oil percentage went down 10 percent. I seriously don't know what to do. I'm a college student and have no money to fix this honestly, this is seriously unacceptable.

- , Lubbock, TX, USA

May 092016

Accord EXL 3.5L V6

Post having the Honda dealership repairs (4 spark plug replacement and computer replacement), the vehicle continues to have the oil consumption issue. I believe it is getting worse. I must add a quart of oil every 1500 miles! To add insult to injury, I have only used synthetic oil for my oil changes, which needless to say, costs more to use. I have maintained the car well and primarily use the vehicle to drive, mostly highway, to and from work (18 miles one way). Our family auto history has primarily been Honda/Acura vehicles, however, this may change.

- , Great Neck, NY, USA

Mar 282013

Accord EX-L 2.4L

My Honda Accord has used oil excessively since I first bought it. There has been a lawsuit for the V-6 for the same thing and nothing has been done about the 3.2L. It is the same exact problem !!!! Help !

Update from Nov 9, 2016: It is a 2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4Liter, 4 cylinder 5 speed automatic

- , Franklin, NC, USA

Oct 012016

Accord EX

My 2009 Honda Accord EX (60k miles) 4 cylinder engine has begun to consume a lot of oil. There are no visible leaks, or smoke emissions. There is a considerable amount of sooty residue on the tailpipe tip. I recently had to replace 2.5 quarts of oil after 1600 miles following an oil change when the low oil warning light came on suddenly.

The engine started consuming oil at around >40k miles, but was negligible and only required about a one pint top-off after about 2000 miles, then it slowly became more thirsty. The engine now pings while driving uphill, despite being at the proper oil level and using a quality gasoline of the required octane. Stepping up an octane level has not eliminated the pinging.

(My car is used primarily for pleasure driving with about 7500 miles logged annually, and does not tow trailers.)

I have made an appointment with my local Honda dealer to have the vehicle inspected for leaks and an oil consumption test. When I asked the service rep what Honda considers to be an acceptable loss of oil between oil changes, his response was "one quart every 1000 miles". So, if I need to change my oil every 4-5000 miles, that would require 4 to 5 quarts extra top-off between oil changes?? That is "NORMAL"?

I would like to see Honda advertise the need for such "normal" maintenance in their brochures, and see how their sales do afterwards.

Once I get the results of my consumption test, I will follow up with this posting.

Update from Dec 23, 2016: On 12/08/2016, the Accord was returned to VIP Honda of North Plainfield, NJ where the technician determined that the oil consumption was excessive, burning 2 quarts of oil in 1126 miles driven. I then made an appointment to make the prescribed repairs as per Honda bulletin 12-087.

The Accord was then returned to the dealer on 12/20/16 for the needed repairs, and was provided a dealer loaner car for the duration of the repair. I was notified on 12/22/16that while the repair was being performed, the timing chain was found to be stretched beyond specifications due to insufficient lubrication and was to be included in the repairs at no expense. Unfortunately, the vehicle will be stuck in the shop over Christmas weekend due to a back-ordered part, said to become available on 12/26/16. Once I have the Accord back, I will update this post.

Update from Dec 29, 2016: 12/29/2016 I finally received my car back from the dealer, and all is well. My car drove like new without any hint of prior problems. The service included new pistons, rings, timing chain, related tension-er, pulleys and hardware, all at NO charge. Honda certainly stepped up and took care of my repair courteously and professionally. Thank-you VIP Honda!

- , Mountainside, NJ, USA

May 162016

Accord

ALL OF A SUDDEN THE CAR STARTED BURNING A QUART OF OIL EVERY 1000 MILES. IT DIDN'T BURN A QUART IN 3000 MILES BEFORE THAT. I HAD THE TESTS DONE AT HONDA AND I WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS NORMAL FOR THE CAR ACCORDING TO A COURT RULING. IF IT GETS WORSE THAN LET THEM KNOW.

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Sep 212016

Accord EX V6

This is the second time this has happened as the first was June 21st. I went to Firestone because my car would not turn over well and figured it was the battery. They asked if I wanted anything else done and I said no as they are not my Honda mechanic. When I came to pick up my car with new battery they told me the oil stick was dry! I then took it to my Honda mechanic because the last time I was there in June it happened and I drove out paying $900.000 (included maintenance). So when this happened again I thought OMG my mechanic did not fix this. So I dropped it off and this wonderful company Googled the problem and found there was a recall. I am losing oil and didn't know it. I am a woman...I don't go and open the hood, check the stick and put oil in the engine. But I am going to have to learn until this gets fixed...Yes, it is a pain!

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 212016

Accord EX V6

My engine light came on. I took to mechanic and they found no oil on stick. They did $900.00 worth of work and an oil change. This happened again in September and will process another complaint for this one.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 152015

Accord LX V6

honda lies, cheats and steals at every turn. first they say this is unusual. then they say normal oil consumption is i quart every thousand miles, then every 1600 miles. I had a service contract and they never told me about the problem. the service contract is a very neat tool for them because they never will tell you about problems.

One should never use a dealer's service contract because they will not tell you about the products problems thusly avoiding liabilities.

- , Valencia, CA, USA

Sep 102015

Accord LX 4

Annoying - consume .75 every 1,000 miles - dealer says that normal - Honda rep was not help. I have owned five Honda's over the years - this is the last.

- , Highland, NY, USA

Aug 212014

Accord Ex-lnav I-Vtec 4-cyl

I'm aggravated that I worry about forgetting to check level of oil since there is no light indicator to warn me level is low.

I have been very diligent on taking vehicle in for oil changes and service rep had never indicated that their might be a problem until approximately 8 weeks ago.

- , Upland, CA, USA

Mar 012015

Accord LX 2.4L

This car has been using a quart of oil every 2000 miles. I think that Honda should fix this car at their cost. This obviously is an ongoing issue with this year, make and model. If this problem doesn't get resolved, this will be the last Honda I EVER purchase!!!!!

- , Belle Center, OH, USA

Sep 102013

Accord EX-L I-Vtec 4 cyl

This car has been having this problem for a very long while. Firestone told me it was using oil so I started checking it occasionally. I am terrible about remembering to check it and I never thought to journal it. I would see that it was low and I would put oil in it. I didn't measure how much oil I was adding. I keep a 5 quart jug on hand. After at least a year or more, Honda finally issues a letter regarding the defect. At that point, I hadn't thought of it being a defect and should have taken it to a Honda dealer to report the problem but didn't. So by the time Honda acknowledged the problem and issued the letter extending the warranty, my car was over the mileage. Probably part of their plan - to eliminate most of the cars that are actually having the problem...They refuse to consider repairing the engine. It doesn't make sense to me to even put a mileage limit on the warranty if the car is having the exact issue. Not only that, they only allowed 125,000 in 7 years. At the time I called, I had 135,000. Not the Honda Manufacturer that I once knew. Loyalty is over.

- , Moody, AL, USA

Oct 012014

Accord LX 4 cyl

I have a 2009 Honda Accord, I had to replace the rear brakes twice by 90,000 miles. I have been getting lot of engine grinding noise since 90,000 miles and lots of oil consumption. I filed a complaint with BBB, but they could not do anything since my car is at 137,000 miles now. I never got a letter from Honda saying the warranty has been extended to 125,000 miles. I have registered my self at Honda owners website and no email saying I have there has been a warranty extension on your car due to bad HONDA engineering. I even called the Honda customer service of North America and they denied any help or wrong doing. They quietly extended the warranty and now I have to pay for all the repairs. can anyone help me out.

FIRST AND LAST HONDA --- HONDA IS GARBAGE

- , Edison, NJ, USA

Feb 292016

Accord LX 4 cyl

The problem started occurring 3 days about. I noticed my red oil light flash on and off whenever I hit the brakes but since it was quick I thought maybe it was something wrong with the sensor. After 2 days, I noticed my engine making a separate noise (like a buzz saw) before it kicks into gear. Something was definitely wrong. After a quick google search- I read the issues on here and it was like someone took the words out of my mouth -- either that or they were driving my car. I check my oil stick and yep- sure enough even with 30% oil life- I barely had any oil (checking 3x- only the tip of the dipstick showed oil). My husband had to add 3 quarts. My car is still occasionally flashing the oil sign when I brake and I still hear the noise when I accelerate.

I am meticulous about oil changes and car maintenance since I drive around my toddler son so this is really a big concern. Plus it sucks because I just finished paying off my car. I have everything done at a Honda dealership since I know the warranty issue is always a big sticking point so this is aggravating. I am going to take it to my local dealership and pretty much just show them the screen shot what other people have reported.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Aug 202015

Accord LX-P 2.4L L4

I have a 2009 Honda Accord LX-P, 2.4L L4 with 95k on it. I am having to change the engine oil before riding 3k(15 to 20 days before the recommended date) each time after the change. If I don't change it, the vehicle make a strange sound, as if some engine parts are rattling, while driving at 25-30 mph. Changing the engine oil solves the problem. It usually happens when I cold start and hit the road.

- , Houghton, MI, USA

Jan 192016

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

The oil light started coming on prior to service, and the dealer said that there should not be low oil in between servicing. He stated that when he checked the oil, the level was good and there were no problems, so he reset the sensor. He stated that the sensor was wrong. Regardless, I was provided with the results of a multi-point inspection and oil change, and had to pay $39.07 for the oil change. This was on 1/19 at 50,885 miles.

It is now 3/31, and the oil light has come on again. I went to Autozone and purchased 5 quarts of oil. It took 2.5 quarts to get the oil back up to where it should be. It is now at about 55,000 miles.

- , Rio Rancho, USA

Feb 012016

Accord EX-L 4-cyl

I looks like the 4-cyl Honda Accord engines also have an oil consumption problem. I was told by the dealership that I should bring the car in every 1,000 miles to check the oil. No excessive use at 1,000 miles but by my check the oil was almost a quart low at 2,000 miles. The dealership said it was only a half quart low. I checked the oil level when I returned home and the oil level was now full??? The service manager gave me a BS answer about a computer adjustment that would have the spark plug burn the excess oil. I also have a 2015 Pilot. I hope the Pilot engine is not headed for trouble. I have always been pro Honda but I may have to take a 180 degree turn if Honda decides to ignore our problems. It looks like a piston ring problem to me.

- , Winston Salem, NC, USA

Sep 012015

Accord 4 cyl

Our 2009 Honda accord is burning oil. We had the dealer do the 3 time check and they said it burned "just under one quart" every 1000 miles so we did not qualify for repairs. What a joke.

We own three Honda vehicles and are very disappointed with Honda in their handling of this issue. They keep telling us it is normal for a car to burn oil. I have read there was a class action suit on this issue for 6 cylinder accords. Any one have news on 4 cylinder accords and plans for a class action suit?

- , Grand Forks, ND, USA

Jul 102013

Accord 2.0L 4 cyl

I just read about excessive oil consumption on your site today 10-27-2015. I received a recall with a warranty extension from Honda about 3 weeks ago. The extension is up to 125,000 miles. I have well over 146,000 miles. Honda issued a TSB about this in 2011 and I was never notified. Now they tell me they are only going to help if they do as a good will measure. I have an oil test with the local dealer now.

Update from Jan 27, 2016: Oil test showed excessive usage. With 151,000 miles on my car as of 1/27/2016 Honda is doing the repairs under a Goodwill. My local dealer did have the parts in time for my departure to Texas but the local dealer here is handling it. It costs $400 under the deal for a $2,000 repair. They gave me a Courtesy Car to use while the repairs are taking place. I should have the car back by 1/28/2016.

Update from Jul 20, 2016: 7/20/2016 Honda did the repair while I was away in Galveston, TX. They did it under a Goodwill arrangement and replaced all the pistons and rings. The car now doesn't use oil but I have a vibration that wasn't there before but it was checked and the link collar in the exhaust system between pipe and engine exhaust was replaced (my dime) and that was justified. I now have 158,000 miles on the car.

- , Stevens Point, WI, USA