CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.9

2. dealer wants to do a consumption test first (19 reports)
  3. Honda said burning 1 quart of oil every 1600 miles is normal (8 reports)
  4. reprogram computer software (6 reports)
  5. replace pistons and rings (5 reports)
  6. i was told by several mechanics its rings or valve gasket (3 reports)
2009 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

May 162016

Accord

ALL OF A SUDDEN THE CAR STARTED BURNING A QUART OF OIL EVERY 1000 MILES. IT DIDN'T BURN A QUART IN 3000 MILES BEFORE THAT. I HAD THE TESTS DONE AT HONDA AND I WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS NORMAL FOR THE CAR ACCORDING TO A COURT RULING. IF IT GETS WORSE THAN LET THEM KNOW.

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Sep 212016

Accord EX V6

This is the second time this has happened as the first was June 21st. I went to Firestone because my car would not turn over well and figured it was the battery. They asked if I wanted anything else done and I said no as they are not my Honda mechanic. When I came to pick up my car with new battery they told me the oil stick was dry! I then took it to my Honda mechanic because the last time I was there in June it happened and I drove out paying $900.000 (included maintenance). So when this happened again I thought OMG my mechanic did not fix this. So I dropped it off and this wonderful company Googled the problem and found there was a recall. I am losing oil and didn't know it. I am a woman...I don't go and open the hood, check the stick and put oil in the engine. But I am going to have to learn until this gets fixed...Yes, it is a pain!

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 212016

Accord EX V6

My engine light came on. I took to mechanic and they found no oil on stick. They did $900.00 worth of work and an oil change. This happened again in September and will process another complaint for this one.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 152015

Accord LX V6

honda lies, cheats and steals at every turn. first they say this is unusual. then they say normal oil consumption is i quart every thousand miles, then every 1600 miles. I had a service contract and they never told me about the problem. the service contract is a very neat tool for them because they never will tell you about problems.

One should never use a dealer's service contract because they will not tell you about the products problems thusly avoiding liabilities.

- , Valencia, CA, USA

Sep 102015

Accord LX 4

Annoying - consume .75 every 1,000 miles - dealer says that normal - Honda rep was not help. I have owned five Honda's over the years - this is the last.

- , Highland, NY, USA

Aug 212014

Accord Ex-lnav I-Vtec 4-cyl

I'm aggravated that I worry about forgetting to check level of oil since there is no light indicator to warn me level is low.

I have been very diligent on taking vehicle in for oil changes and service rep had never indicated that their might be a problem until approximately 8 weeks ago.

- , Upland, CA, USA

Mar 012015

Accord LX 2.4L

This car has been using a quart of oil every 2000 miles. I think that Honda should fix this car at their cost. This obviously is an ongoing issue with this year, make and model. If this problem doesn't get resolved, this will be the last Honda I EVER purchase!!!!!

- , Belle Center, OH, USA

Sep 102013

Accord EX-L I-Vtec 4 cyl

This car has been having this problem for a very long while. Firestone told me it was using oil so I started checking it occasionally. I am terrible about remembering to check it and I never thought to journal it. I would see that it was low and I would put oil in it. I didn't measure how much oil I was adding. I keep a 5 quart jug on hand. After at least a year or more, Honda finally issues a letter regarding the defect. At that point, I hadn't thought of it being a defect and should have taken it to a Honda dealer to report the problem but didn't. So by the time Honda acknowledged the problem and issued the letter extending the warranty, my car was over the mileage. Probably part of their plan - to eliminate most of the cars that are actually having the problem...They refuse to consider repairing the engine. It doesn't make sense to me to even put a mileage limit on the warranty if the car is having the exact issue. Not only that, they only allowed 125,000 in 7 years. At the time I called, I had 135,000. Not the Honda Manufacturer that I once knew. Loyalty is over.

- , Moody, AL, USA

Oct 012014

Accord LX 4 cyl

I have a 2009 Honda Accord, I had to replace the rear brakes twice by 90,000 miles. I have been getting lot of engine grinding noise since 90,000 miles and lots of oil consumption. I filed a complaint with BBB, but they could not do anything since my car is at 137,000 miles now. I never got a letter from Honda saying the warranty has been extended to 125,000 miles. I have registered my self at Honda owners website and no email saying I have there has been a warranty extension on your car due to bad HONDA engineering. I even called the Honda customer service of North America and they denied any help or wrong doing. They quietly extended the warranty and now I have to pay for all the repairs. can anyone help me out.

FIRST AND LAST HONDA --- HONDA IS GARBAGE

- , Edison, NJ, USA

Feb 292016

Accord LX 4 cyl

The problem started occurring 3 days about. I noticed my red oil light flash on and off whenever I hit the brakes but since it was quick I thought maybe it was something wrong with the sensor. After 2 days, I noticed my engine making a separate noise (like a buzz saw) before it kicks into gear. Something was definitely wrong. After a quick google search- I read the issues on here and it was like someone took the words out of my mouth -- either that or they were driving my car. I check my oil stick and yep- sure enough even with 30% oil life- I barely had any oil (checking 3x- only the tip of the dipstick showed oil). My husband had to add 3 quarts. My car is still occasionally flashing the oil sign when I brake and I still hear the noise when I accelerate.

I am meticulous about oil changes and car maintenance since I drive around my toddler son so this is really a big concern. Plus it sucks because I just finished paying off my car. I have everything done at a Honda dealership since I know the warranty issue is always a big sticking point so this is aggravating. I am going to take it to my local dealership and pretty much just show them the screen shot what other people have reported.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Aug 202015

Accord LX-P 2.4L L4

I have a 2009 Honda Accord LX-P, 2.4L L4 with 95k on it. I am having to change the engine oil before riding 3k(15 to 20 days before the recommended date) each time after the change. If I don't change it, the vehicle make a strange sound, as if some engine parts are rattling, while driving at 25-30 mph. Changing the engine oil solves the problem. It usually happens when I cold start and hit the road.

- , Houghton, MI, USA

Jan 192016

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

The oil light started coming on prior to service, and the dealer said that there should not be low oil in between servicing. He stated that when he checked the oil, the level was good and there were no problems, so he reset the sensor. He stated that the sensor was wrong. Regardless, I was provided with the results of a multi-point inspection and oil change, and had to pay $39.07 for the oil change. This was on 1/19 at 50,885 miles.

It is now 3/31, and the oil light has come on again. I went to Autozone and purchased 5 quarts of oil. It took 2.5 quarts to get the oil back up to where it should be. It is now at about 55,000 miles.

- , Rio Rancho, USA

Feb 012016

Accord EX-L 4-cyl

I looks like the 4-cyl Honda Accord engines also have an oil consumption problem. I was told by the dealership that I should bring the car in every 1,000 miles to check the oil. No excessive use at 1,000 miles but by my check the oil was almost a quart low at 2,000 miles. The dealership said it was only a half quart low. I checked the oil level when I returned home and the oil level was now full??? The service manager gave me a BS answer about a computer adjustment that would have the spark plug burn the excess oil. I also have a 2015 Pilot. I hope the Pilot engine is not headed for trouble. I have always been pro Honda but I may have to take a 180 degree turn if Honda decides to ignore our problems. It looks like a piston ring problem to me.

- , Winston Salem, NC, USA

Sep 012015

Accord 4 cyl

Our 2009 Honda accord is burning oil. We had the dealer do the 3 time check and they said it burned "just under one quart" every 1000 miles so we did not qualify for repairs. What a joke.

We own three Honda vehicles and are very disappointed with Honda in their handling of this issue. They keep telling us it is normal for a car to burn oil. I have read there was a class action suit on this issue for 6 cylinder accords. Any one have news on 4 cylinder accords and plans for a class action suit?

- , Grand Forks, ND, USA

Jul 102013

Accord 2.0L 4 cyl

I just read about excessive oil consumption on your site today 10-27-2015. I received a recall with a warranty extension from Honda about 3 weeks ago. The extension is up to 125,000 miles. I have well over 146,000 miles. Honda issued a TSB about this in 2011 and I was never notified. Now they tell me they are only going to help if they do as a good will measure. I have an oil test with the local dealer now.

Update from Jan 27, 2016: Oil test showed excessive usage. With 151,000 miles on my car as of 1/27/2016 Honda is doing the repairs under a Goodwill. My local dealer did have the parts in time for my departure to Texas but the local dealer here is handling it. It costs $400 under the deal for a $2,000 repair. They gave me a Courtesy Car to use while the repairs are taking place. I should have the car back by 1/28/2016.

Update from Jul 20, 2016: 7/20/2016 Honda did the repair while I was away in Galveston, TX. They did it under a Goodwill arrangement and replaced all the pistons and rings. The car now doesn't use oil but I have a vibration that wasn't there before but it was checked and the link collar in the exhaust system between pipe and engine exhaust was replaced (my dime) and that was justified. I now have 158,000 miles on the car.

- , Stevens Point, WI, USA

Sep 092015

Accord CS 2.4L

I have owned my Honda Accord Coupe since 2009. I really love the care. I am religious about oil changes and maintenance and run synthetics to insure the best engine performance and life.

Between my last oil change and the recent one this month I noticed a funny rattle and grinding noise. I also occasionally saw the check engine oil like come on and then immediately go off mostly at stops. I did a few checks and when I pulled the dip stick I was surprised that I had no oil on it at all. I put the car on a flat surface and let it settle for a while and checked again, still no oil on the dip stick. I thought, maybe they last change there was a leak or something. So I added two quarts and it came up enough to register on the lower dot.

I took it in for its oil change and I mentioned this to my dealer I have service all my vehicles. He had it checked prior to the change and it was down a quart. So my Honda had lost 3 quarts of oil in all over the 3-4 K interval of my change. I did some research online and found the information about the excessive oil consumption.

I had decided I was really disappointed and felt my only solution was to get rid of the car before it really went south. I had planned to keep it for another 5 years or so, that's why I bought a Honda in the first place. I figure reliable and trouble free with excellent long lasting engines. I was really happy when I got the letter in the mail about the recall and warranty extension, but felt let down again when the dealer said Honda's rules required the engine to use 1 quart in 1000 miles. I looked at the dealer in shock and told him I have 5 more vehicles and non of them use a quart between oil changes of 3-4 K, why is 1 quart in 1000 miles being used as the mark. Got an apology and a restatement that it was Honda's rules. I seriously think they are skirting the recall and trying to dodge their obligation for building a faulty product. My feeling is if they tell me I just have to keep adding oil, I will sell the car and take Honda off my reliable car list. Truly disappointing, I just hope I get satisfaction, if not, I will never buy a Honda again and never recommend one either.

Update from Sep 22, 2015: I just checked my Honda on the Honda site and it says I have no recalls for my vehicle, but I have a letter. Why are they not recognizing the issue as related to my vehicle on there sight? Are they running a second secret database to tell everyone.

- , Junction City, KS, USA

Oct 202015

Accord LX 2.7L 4 cyl

well, I feel very disappointed with Honda. I bought this car and after two months now I have this issue with the oil consumption. If they designed this stupid car with their incompetent engineers, they shouldn't put this car in the market for selling. But; as we know we live in a corrupted world. I'm sure they know about this problem, and they want us to waste more money in reparations. Why we should pay to fix this problem? oh also; they try to sell you warranty which is obsolete. Before sell us a piece of sh*t, lets know first what's the problem with the car plz. because you are wasting our time and money. Here's a link where we can fill a serious complaint.

- , Elizabeth, NJ, USA

May 012013

Accord 2.4L

Honda has made a choice not to honor the warranty that came with the vehicle and is stalling lying and suggesting that a quart of oil per one thousand miles is acceptable. I called Honda, a a man named Chris assured me that they would fix the problem. When I called the dealer to set up an appointment to fix it they tell me it must be tested for oil consumption again. There has been a class action lawsuit concerning over 15,000,000 vehicles they know are flawed that they settled but this suit does not include four cylinders.The vehicle I purchased has the same problem and would never pass an emissions test yet they tell me at the dealership this is OK.

I should have bought a Ford.Then none of this would be such a shock.The days of Honda being dependable and professional and doing the right thing are long gone.

- , Montevallo, AL, USA

Oct 012015

Accord EXL 4

OIL SUCKER !

Car used 3 quarts of oil in 700 miles. Took to Valley Honda in PA they said do an oil consumption test drove the car 800 miles took back because oil was low. They check told me to let car sit for 15 min. before I check oil . Really nice go cross country and every time sit for 15 min to check oil. Now have 500 miles on it and cant see oil on the stick again . I am told if its fixed they fix rings. What about all the other parts not getting oil ? Timing chain, cam shaft ,crank and bearings? All will wear . The big problem is oil light never comes on to let you know it is low . You hear the motor rattle then you know its low. I have been down a couple times 3 or more quarts and the light never came on . Don't buy one of these or other Honda with this engine YOU WILL BE SORRY !

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 062015

Accord LX L4

Honda essentially refuses to own up to the issues with its excessive oil consumption and the likely demise that the engine will wear prematurely due to heat and friction....they figure you'll just get a different car...it could last until you are finished making payments...lol...roll the dice and wait and see. Is it possible to buy a car without a warranty for a lower cost because these companies are selling an invisible warranty.

I have had the oil consumption test at the stealer when it had fewer miles on it. They admit that the Honda is using oil...but the amount (quart every 1000) is quite subjective...if their mechanic tells us that a quart per month is normal...how car you argue that? My daughters Oldsmobile Alero didn't use oil with 150k miles on it.

I recently spoke to Melbourne Honda in Florida, and the service manager said that he has never taken action on a complaint regarding the oil consumption and that he has personally never seen a car fail the oil consumption test. I feel like he is playing jedi mind tricks...waving his hand in front of my face and telling me that there is nothing to see here. In other words...he said "don't bother with another oil consumption test." So I guess I'M CRAZY for wanting my car to last. I also want to mention that the Honda service manager had beady prison eyes.

As a consumer....I feel lied to and cheated by Honda. So basically, if the air-bag doesn't deploy and permanently disfigure your face with shrapnel, then the engine will lock up and leave you with a $4k repair.

I guess all car companies have issues occasionally, I'm just upset that it seems like I am always the one with the lemon.

- , Chicago, IL, USA