- January 10: Honda Recalls Nearly 1.3 Million Vehicles to Fix Takata Airbags recalls | 48 days ago
- December 30: 2017 Honda Ridgeline Recalled Over Electrical Problems recalls | 59 days ago
- December 30: Honda Recalls 641,000 Odyssey Minivans to Fix Seat Problems recalls | 59 days ago
- December 4: Honda Goes Door-to-Door to Get Takata Airbags Fixed news | 85 days ago
Excessive Oil Consumption
2009 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 6)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.
BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.
OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.
UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 65,944 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 118 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (64 reports)
- dealer wants to do a consumption test first (21 reports)
- Honda said burning 1 quart of oil every 1600 miles is normal (8 reports)
- reprogram computer software (6 reports)
- replace pistons and rings (5 reports)
- i was told by several mechanics its rings or valve gasket (3 reports)