- April 19: Woman Punctured in the Throat by Exploding Takata Airbag news | 11 days ago
- April 8: Honda Pilots Recalled to Replace Gas Tanks recalls | 22 days ago
- April 7: Honda Recalls 2003 Accord to Replace Takata Airbags recalls | 23 days ago
Excessive Oil Consumption
2009 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 7)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.
BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.
OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.
UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 67,301 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 121 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (67 reports)
- dealer wants to do a consumption test first (21 reports)
- Honda said burning 1 quart of oil every 1600 miles is normal (8 reports)
- reprogram computer software (6 reports)
- replace pistons and rings (5 reports)
- i was told by several mechanics its rings or valve gasket (3 reports)