CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.9

2. dealer wants to do a consumption test first (11 reports)
  3. reprogram computer software (6 reports)
  4. i was told by several mechanics its rings or valve gasket (3 reports)
  5. replace pistons and rings (3 reports)
  6. Honda said burning 1 quart of oil every 1600 miles is normal (2 reports)
2009 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 042014

Accord LX 2.4L

Hi,

I have been adding 2-3 quarts in between oil changes for the past 3-4 scheduled services. It just sucks because this has never happened to any of my previous cars. I was expecting better from a Honda vehicle.

- , South Burlington, VT, USA

Feb 122015

Accord V4

I just finished paying off my car only to find that it is consuming way too much oil. At first my engine started making noise so I checked everything and my car had no oil in it!! I was not due for an oil change and I didn't even drive 5,000 miles yet! I had to keep adding a quart of oil to my car every month. This was excessive seeing as how I work right in town.

The Honda dealership told me they need me to come in 3 times so they can check the oil consumption levels. I did that. They finally get back to me today to tell me they need to take apart the whole engine and if they find anything wrong that's not covered under my power-train warranty then it may cost me $2100 plus whatever else needed to be fixed.

There is a federal class action lawsuit that claims that 2008-2010 Honda Accords have “a systematic design defect that enables oil to enter into the engine’s combustion chamber.” The defect causes excessive oil consumption, premature spark plug degradation and engine malfunction. But this lawsuit only covers V6 engines. Why doesn't it cover 4 cylinder? I'm having the same problem!! It's just annoying seeing as how I literally just finished paying the car off which took me 5 years!

I will not buy a Honda again because Honda tried hiding this information from their consumers because there was no safety issue. I don't want to keep this car but I also cant afford another car payment! It's a brand new car. I shouldn't have to worry about this.

Update from Feb 25, 2015: I had a recall done on this vehicle in 2011 for a software update for fuel injectors and valve timing which could lead to increased oil consumption. The dealership is telling me that this recall is different from the problem that I'm having now. I dont think so. They should have seen the problem back then. How is a software update going to stop the car from using too much oil?

Sullivan Honda told me that the cylinder walls have pitting and scoring, there are small scratches where the piston rings are, and the oil is burning out the end. They said the damage to the short block is minimal, there is leakage on the top end, there are hash marks.

Bob Russo at Sullivan Honda in Torrington, CT said that they need to replace the short block which cost $5000, they need to replace valve seals and head set. Pretty much rebuild the whole engine. I bought this car on 12/4/2009, the miles on the car are only 48,841. I have a 5 yr/60,000 mile warranty. I brought the car into Torrington/Sullivan Honda on 12/26/12 complaining of an oil leak.I brought it in again on 12/2/14 complaining of high oil consumption. Bob had to do an oil consumption test which took a few months from the original date of me bringing it in. Bob at Sullivan Honda is trying to tell me that now (2/25/15) my car is out of warranty and Honda is willing to goodwill my car and I'm only responsible for $500 of the whole engine overhaul.

I think this is bullshit. I could see if the car had 150,000 miles and needed an engine overhaul but not at 48,000 miles. This is not my fault. This is obviously a defect on the car. Now I have to deal with customer service at Honda and hope that they will get Sullivan Honda to fix the car under warranty. If not, I may get a lawyer or even take it to channel 8 news so everyone will know the bullshit that Bob is putting me through. This is bullshit. I'm pissed. I shouldn't have to worry about a whole engine rebuild on my 5 year old car with very low mileage!

- , Torrington, CT, USA

Sep 102014

Accord EX-L V4

Bought my 2009 Honda Accord EX-L manual in 2012 due to feedback heard that Honda is a very reliable car. However, when my car was nearly 55,000 miles I started to notice that the oil level was lowering considerable prior to the next oil change. Now, my car has 82,000 miles and a quart of oil needs to be added every 800 miles. Which it is very inconvenient and brings a lot of concerns to be left on the road with my family due to a problem that from the numbers of complaints you would think that Honda would of addressed and taken care of for their customers to keep the "reliable" mark.

- , Irving, TX, USA

Jan 012014

Accord LX-P 2.4L 4-cyl

It's happened since I got the car 2010...I always have to add oil before the next oil change.

- , Columbia, SC - South Carolina, USA

Jan 012013

Accord EX 3.5L

Not only does it use 1 qt or more a week....every light on the DB is lit up along with shuddering, no oil low light comes on EVER....I checked the oil yesterday and the stick did not show ANY oil until I added over 3 qts to it....it's been about a month since checked....I checked because it was making an AWFUL noise, as it USUALLY does....just much more pronounced....I have had this car for more than 3 years and it's JUNK....Never will buy a Honda again! And that's after having 4 in 20 years.....Absolute JUNK!!

- , Lexington, KY, USA

Jul 012011

Accord LX 2.4L V4

Honda had a recall to reprogram the computer software because they admitted that my 2009 Honda Accord LX was consuming oil. I thought the problem was solved, but at around 65,000 I started to notice the car was burning oil. When I got to around 80,000 miles it was burning 1 quart every 1,600 miles. Now I have 93,000 miles and I'm calling Honda tomorrow to really complaining about this problem!

The car also burns through front brakes like crazy!

- , 12 Bolan Drive, Huntington Station, USA

Aug 142014

Accord 4.6L V6

My wife took her 2009 Honda Accord to our mechanic because the engine light was on. Found out the oil was down 4 quarts. We have had issues with the misfire problem and low oil but never this bad. Oil was just changed in late May. Not real happy with this car as we have had constant engine repairs. We purchased this Accord because all we heard was how great Honda vehicles are. However, this is the first and last Honda I will own.

- , Lebanon, OH, USA

Nov 042012

Accord LX 4L

I have a 2009 Honda Accord 4L, and having the same problem with excessive oil consumption as well as making this loud horrible rattling noise when starting my car. I just recently moved and have to drive about 75 miles a day to & from work and my oil light comes on once a week… So when I get gas each week I check my oil and sure enough I need to add 2qts if not more! I filled up on Friday, and on my way to work Monday my oil light came on? So I decided to Google it to see if could find anything online regarding an issue and to my surprise I was far from the only person experiencing these issues with my car! I found the class action lawsuit however they only allowed the V6 models, and dismissed the 4L! Obviously it’s not just the V6 having this issue! It just don’t understand why they would dismiss the other models with having all these issues in plain sight for everyone to see! I am a single mother and need a reliable car! That’s why I chose this car! I can’t afford for my car to breakdown! As soon as I read up on this I called a Honda Dealership in my area to have it looked at… He said that I will have to get an oil change there and then have to come back every 1000 miles or if my light comes on so they can monitor the consumption. Once it is documented, they will call Honda corp and see what they say… He said as long as it is documented, they should be covered under the extended warranty if approved… Just really hope they fix this issue…

- , Akron, OH, USA

Oct 142014

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4 cyl

'09 Accord is now using a quart of oil every 1800 miles. Looks like there has been a service bulletin issued for the 6 cylinders, but mine is a 4 cylinder. Sure seems like a lot of oil usage for an engine with 78000 miles on it. I've checked for leaks and found none so it's definitely getting burned somehow.

Just got the damned thing paid off and was hoping to drive it until the wheels fall off. Maybe that will be sooner than I hoped. :(

- , Clear Lake, IA, USA

Sep 012013

Accord LX 4 cyl

It began consuming oil at 2 quarts every 3,000 miles in Sept 2013 and now at Sept 2014 oil is down slightly every week. This car still only has 59,000 miles on it. This type of oil consumption is not "normal". I have had 5 consecutive Honda Accords since 1989. I was a confirmed Honda person. This will cause me to no longer buy a Honda product.

- , Lawrenceville, GA - Georgia, USA

Sep 012011

Accord LXP 4 cyl

I bought my 2009 LXP Honda Accord new for my son to take to collage so I didn't drive the car for a about 1 month after he bought, but when I did drive it, it had about 500 miles on it, noticed the Rotors were warped. The car would shake real bad when applying the brakes. I took it back to the Honda garage and they agreed but said that Honda will never admit there is problem so we can"t put new rotors on it but we can turn the rotors. I refused to let them do it and insisted they put four new rotors on. They refused! So being a Machinist I took all four rotors off the car and checked them and they were warped real bad so I bought four new rotors and put them on myself.

My next complaint came in 2011 when my son called me and said the oil light came on (22,000 miles) so I had him add oil. From there I started keeping a close eye on the oil consumption. The end result is that it consistently burns a quart of oil every 1600 miles. I have always had the oil changed every 5000 miles. Honda"s comment was that is acceptable oil consumption and would do nothing about it. What a joke! Not only am I a Machinist but I have also worked on vehicles for the last 35 years and have never seen anything like this.

My next complaint is that the actuator (check valve) that allows the oil into the timing chain housing is allowing the oil to drain back out when the car is shut off so when you start the car it makes a god awful rattling noise for about 4 seconds when you start it. This started around 45000 miles. Honda garage wanted $600 to fix it it. I told them Honda needs to warranty it, they again that Honda will never admit that it"s a problem.

I never got it fixed.

I am not in impressed with Honda and will never buy another Honda or will I ever recommend a Honda to anyone.

- , Pittston, Maine, USA

Dec 052012

Accord EX 2.4L Vtec 4 cyl

I have had several oil consumption tests. I was encouraged by the Lisle Superstore Dealership to keep bringing it in every 1,000 miles to "top it off with oil." The dealer stated that the oil consumption was within Honda's acceptable oil consumption. I have never heard of having to get the oil checked every thousand miles. My older cars could have oil changes every 3-4 thousand miles. Honda is making the consumer the scapegoat, and I am very angry about this. It was recommended that I purchase a Honda, but obviously it has not been a good experience, and I will not purchase another Honda again and will tell everyone I know of my issues if they do not get resolved. No one wants to do anything for me, and now my car is almost out of warranty, after a year and a half of dealing with this problem. I am a conscientious vehicle owner, and I feel I am getting screwed by Honda and by the Lisle, IL Honda Dealership!

- , West Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 192013

Accord LX-P 2.4L

I have seen online about complaints about excessive oil consumption and have had same results, one quarter quart oil used every 500 miles.

Update from Jun 14, 2014: did oil consumption test with Honda dealer 2x finally they admitted a problem-had pistons and rings replaced at dealers cost-they also advised me that drive belt was worn and needed replacement and that trans oil was dirty and should be replaced I agreed to pay for those two minor issues as I was elated that finally they would take care of the excessive oil problem at no cost to me-was I paying for some repairs I didn't need- I did not even flinch

- , Hauppauge, New York, USA

Jun 282013

Accord EX V6

Car continues to use excessive amount of oil, which Honda says is within normal. Must add oil every 1,000 miles.

All plugs were replaced early.

- , Luray, VA, USA

Mar 202013

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4 cyl

My 2009 Honda Accord began using oil at about 78,000 miles. The 1st time it happened it was 2 1/2 quarts low. There was no oil on the dipstick. I thought that the place I have change the oil just did not put enough oil in. The next time the oil maintenece light came on at about 3000, I checked the oil and again it was 2 quarts low. The next oil change at Jiffy Lube the mechanic said he used to work for a Honda dealership and said he replaced alot of 4cyl engines. I called the Honda dealership where I bought it and they said He has never heard of this problem. He said burning 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles is acceptable. They wanted be to bring it in for an oil comsumption test that I would have to pay for. This is the last Honda I will ever buy.

- , Harpers Ferry, WV, USA

Feb 222014

Accord EX V6

My 2009 Honda Accord at 70,000 miles has a blown engine. It was involved in a minimal front end fender bender and after that incident the vehicle would not start. Called State Farm, they towed the vehicel to a body shop for repairs where it sat for almost 3 weeks while they tried to figure out why the vehcle wouldn't start. Finally they stated that the engine was blown and there was only sludge left for oil and there were no cracks or leaks found anywhere so we would be responsible for a new engine. No oil lights were ever on prior to the vehicle not starting. The oil had just been changed 3 months prior. State Farm won't cover it and after contacting American Honda, they said it would be $800 to tear down the engine and figure out if was their fault. But other than that they were not helpful at all. VERY DISAPPOINTED AS I HAVE OWNED HONDAS FOR 20+ YEARS AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. Honda needs to step up and take care of their garbage.

- , Willowbrook, IL, USA

Feb 282014

Accord LX 4 cyl

I bought my 2009 Honda Accord Coupe LX coupe// 4 Cylinder In August of 2012.. Thinking it would be a good investment... I kept my oil in check every month and realized the oil wasn't even touching the stick recently... Had to add about 2 quarts last night just so I could get to the dealership. Now doing an oil consumption test every 500 miles at the dealership.. I would have never thought I'd be having such serious problems with such a new car.. Another thing to add is I hear a grinding sound on start up when it's about 30 degrees outside. Family is never buying from Honda again.. This should not be a consumer problem and it's not right Honda kept it soo low key. Not how to run a business....

- , Flowery Branch, GA, USA

Mar 112014

Accord EXL 3.5 V6

Bought used 2009 Accord EXL with 43,300 miles in Oct. 2013 & noticed oil dip stick only had a drop of dirty oil on the tip at 37,159 miles after oil/filter change by dealer according to CarFax report. Topped off with 2 qts & drove until Jan 27 (45,728 mi on odometer & "Oil Life indicator at 10%). Changed oil/filter and oil down 1/2 qt on Mar 11 w'/ 46,582 miles...Oil Life= 100%. That's 854 miles on half a quart. My '99 4 cyl Accord EX with 192,000 didn't use that much in 3,500 miles.

I'm wondering what to do...keep it & hope it doesn't die along the road somewhere or sell it? Please don't insult me by saying it's "normal" a computer adjustment will fix it.I've never even had an old clunker go through that much oil in my 68 years of driving. Maybe it's "normal" for a poorly designed engine but NOT to the average auto engine in the last half century

Any honest mechanics out there with an idea of how to keep this car on the road? It's beautiful car that doesn't deserve such a crappy engine! TheHandyman said that! Don't even think of the snide remarks...I"ve heard them all before!

- , Suches, GA, USA

Jan 312014

Accord EX V4

I bought this car in October 2013 with 77000 miles on it.I just happen to be going down an incline on the way to work when my oil icon flashed just for a moment.I have learned the hard way that this is not to be ignored.I checked my oil dip stick that evening. BONE DRY.I tossed in a quart, and brought it to the dealer later on that week.I had mentioned that I have had the car for only 4000 miles and that to have a car lose this much oil is not a god thing.Of course they found nothing wrong, did an oil change, and said to come back in a 1000 miles.That will next week,the fact that they never mentioned any oil consumption problems,law suits, etc. suggests to me that I'm probably just pissing in the wind and they will say that this is what happens when you buy a car this used.If this proves to be the case, I will be an ex Honda Accord owner.

- , lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jul 192013

Accord LX-P 2.4L

Oil changed in April 2013 at Pep Boys. July 2013 engine makes funny sound on acceleration and oil light comes on. Tech says car has no oil in it. Filled up. No charge. October 2013 same problem. Took to Honda dealer. They performed oil change and checked for leaks allegedly. (No documentation on ticket.) February 17, 2014 checked oil because engine making funny sound again. Level does not measure on dipstick. Added three quarts myself to bring level to full.

- , Montgomery, AL, USA