CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

2. dealer wants to do a consumption test first (16 reports)
  3. Honda said burning 1 quart of oil every 1600 miles is normal (6 reports)
  4. reprogram computer software (6 reports)
  5. replace pistons and rings (5 reports)
  6. i was told by several mechanics its rings or valve gasket (3 reports)
2009 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 012015

Accord EXL 4

Car used 3 quarts of oil in 700 miles. Took to Valley Honda in PA they said do an oil consumption test drove the car 800 miles took back because oil was low. They check told me to let car sit for 15 min. before I check oil . Really nice go cross country and every time sit for 15 min to check oil. Now have 500 miles on it and cant see oil on the stick again . I am told if its fixed they fix rings. What about all the other parts not getting oil ? Timing chain, cam shaft ,crank and bearings? All will wear . The big problem is oil light never comes on to let you know it is low . You hear the motor rattle then you know its low. I have been down a couple times 3 or more quarts and the light never came on . Don't buy one of these or other Honda with this engine YOU WILL BE SORRY !

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 062015

Accord LX L4

Honda essentially refuses to own up to the issues with its excessive oil consumption and the likely demise that the engine will wear prematurely due to heat and friction....they figure you'll just get a different car...it could last until you are finished making payments...lol...roll the dice and wait and see. Is it possible to buy a car without a warranty for a lower cost because these companies are selling an invisible warranty.

I have had the oil consumption test at the stealer when it had fewer miles on it. They admit that the Honda is using oil...but the amount (quart every 1000) is quite subjective...if their mechanic tells us that a quart per month is normal...how car you argue that? My daughters Oldsmobile Alero didn't use oil with 150k miles on it.

I recently spoke to Melbourne Honda in Florida, and the service manager said that he has never taken action on a complaint regarding the oil consumption and that he has personally never seen a car fail the oil consumption test. I feel like he is playing jedi mind tricks...waving his hand in front of my face and telling me that there is nothing to see here. In other words...he said "don't bother with another oil consumption test." So I guess I'M CRAZY for wanting my car to last. I also want to mention that the Honda service manager had beady prison eyes.

As a consumer....I feel lied to and cheated by Honda. So basically, if the air-bag doesn't deploy and permanently disfigure your face with shrapnel, then the engine will lock up and leave you with a $4k repair.

I guess all car companies have issues occasionally, I'm just upset that it seems like I am always the one with the lemon.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 222015

Accord LX 4 cyl

Honda needs to fix it. Never logged comment at dealership service when questioned oil consumption years ago. was just out of warranty (even though consumed at outset of purchase). Initial information given by salesman said oil change not needed until odometer read said a certain %. Oil light came on when it was at 80%.

Now the 'consumption test' is burning oil out my ears. This NOT NORMAL.

- , Appleton, WI, USA

Aug 012009

Accord LX 4 cyl

Consumed oil right from the outset of vehicle purchase. Should have been insistent with taking care of the problem at that point. Some times have to add two quarts between oil changes. NEVER had a car that consumed oil. Now, with the recall notice, it adds more frustration going back to the dealer and seemingly nothing happens after two visits.

- , Appleton, WI, USA

Sep 102013

Accord LX 4 cyl

I identified this problem with Honda in mid 2010 before the 100,000 mile mark. I had it officially documented at 119k and was told that since there wasn't any official word from cooperate that I could repair myself until something was official. An oil consumption test was done and I was told it the car lost oil within spec...whatever that meant .....and that Honda (per the consumer information book) recommended to check your oil every time you get gas and add oil as needed.

The alternative was to go to the high mileage oil and get "regular" oil changes. Since then I've the high mileage oil has not help and I have resulted in adding oil weekly to prevent engine trouble. Now it's 3 years later I just got notification that their is an issue. HONDA is claiming that my car is out of the 125K range and has denied my claim although multiple documented complaint exist from 2010 with the dealer.

As a third time Honda owner I'm not confident in Honda's quality program. It's really disappointing that Honda is not doing the right thing and standing by its product. It would be interesting to know if the model passed all testing protocol was during production and how may cars from 2008-2010 are under 125k miles.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Aug 182015

Accord 4 cyl

I wish I'd read all of these complaints before buying my Honda Accord! I'm experiencing excessive oil consumption, the oil pressure light flashing on/off at 50%, and a loud grinding noise when accelerating when the oil life is at 50% also. It seems that the oil burns much faster when it's on 50% too!

I've taken my car to 3 different places to find out what the grinding noise was and none of them could figure it out. It wasn't until today when the car started making the grinding noise much more frequently - pretty much every time I accelerated, my oil light started flashing, that I finally figured it out. I got the oil changed (just a few drops of oil in it!!! And, the oil life was 50%!!!) and amazingly the grinding noise stopped. I googled oil consumption on 09 Accord and boom! - here's numerous people complaining of the same thing!

I bought my Accord, thinking I would drive it forever because of Honda's reputation but never again! I'm trading it for something other than a Honda, for sure! And will tell anyone that's thinking of buying one to just not waste their money and time! Who needs to constantly check and add oil? It's ridiculous! Very disappointed in Honda!!!

- , Mont, AL, USA

Jul 022015

Accord LX 4 cyl

This is the worst car I have ever had to deal with in my life. The oil consumption issue is a real pain in the ass. The car constantly leaks oil on my driveway or parking space. I have to refill the oil again after an oil change and before next one. This vehicle is using twice as much oil between oil changes. I took it to the dealer and they could not do anything because the car did not have any oil in it. They had to refill the engine with oil before they could begin troubleshooting the problem. Then, they told me a consumption test needs to be done and to do this I have to drive the car and check my oil every 500 miles or so. I asked the dealer has a recall been issued for this problem? She says, "NO not on the 2009, but there is a recall on the 2008 model year"

I have figured out that it uses/loses/leaks oil twice as fast because when the oil life indicator at 45%-50% check engine light flashes on and off or stays on due to the low oil pressure.

Upon vehicle is ignition a loud grinding noise, like metal or the chain in the engine are grinding together because of no lubrication.

In closing, THIS CAR AIN'T SH*T!!!!

P.S. the brakes suck too!

- , Op, AL, USA

Mar 032015

Accord 4 cyld

I get my oil changed on regular basis, every 3000-5000 miles, I recently took my car in for the oil change at the end of May, but before I did I checked the oil and it was down 2 quarts of oil which was very strange. Then took it in and asked that the car be looked over for oil leaks either into the engine or ?????? The dealer stated nothing wrong with the car no leaks. I still thought it strange for a Honda. So I took it to a private garage and they thought it strange as well. Suggested that I check the oil level weekly, I got the oil changed on May 27th 2015 and have been checking the oil weekly. On June 30th I had to add a quart of oil. I have not come close to putting 3000-5000 mile on this car. Something is not right. I went on line to read about the 2009 Honda Accord and found others with the same issues and that a class action suit has been filed against Honda for this problem. When will Honda admit to the issue and do the right thing by their customers. I really like the Accord but I am stuck with the car. Unlike Honda I would not be able to pass this issue on to a follow consumer knowing the issue exits with the car. Honda doesn't seem to care.

They want to continue to blame the consumer and driving habits.... Passing the buck to save the buck in their pocket,. If Honda made a mistake they should have enough class to stand up and admit it. Take care of the consumers that trusted in them to buy there product. Doesn't say much about the higher ups in the Honda Corporation. If it weren't for people like myself they wouldn't be in business and enjoying the rewards. NOT TO MENTION THEY HAVE VERY POOR TRAINED CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS,

- , Oak Creek, WI, USA

Feb 192015

Accord ES 2.4L

Just reporting excessive oil consumption. Received a letter from Honda saying the warranty on the engine was extended to 8 years/200,000 km. It's useless for me since the car is 6 years old and 86,000 km. What if I wanted to keep my cars 10 years? Fraud.

- , Laval, QC, Canada

May 012014

Accord LX 2.4i-Vtc4 cyl

It is to the point I have to check the oil no less then every 2 weeks. There are no leaks and it isn't burning oil.

- , Toms River, USA

Jan 012015

Accord EX-L V4

I bought a Honda bc I thought it would effing last!

Now I have engine probs and it's paid off?

I've done all necessary maintenance, dammit.

Pissed if I'm screwed w/ a POS engine

- , Fairview Park, OH, USA

Oct 012010

Accord Touring 2.4

I yell from the beginning that the oil consumption is too big.

- , Rijeka, Croatia

Sep 012009

Accord LX 4cy

Several years ago & out of the blue, my car made a quick, metallic-y, echo-y, grabby noise when I started it, so I immediately turned it off. I then checked all of my fluids, including my oil, and NO oil was registering on the dip stick. I hope there's a quart that doesn't register in there! Anyway, I park on our carport every single day, and we've never seen a drop of oil on the concrete. I have no idea where the oil goes, but it goes.

I check my oil weekly due to this engine defect and have just learned to live with it. I was told that if I had anyone other than Honda perform maintenance on my car that it would void my warranty. I've never owned a brand new car, so I believed this. I wish I had actually ready my warranty because it may be too late for this to be fixed. However, I feel that this was a defect of my car when it left the Honda hospital, the same as the 6 cylinders that have now been proven defective.

My oil light NEVER comes on nor does the temperature gauge show that anything is going on with my car. If I happen to drive moe than a week without checking my oil, my car will let me know with the noise it makes when I start it. Sometimes it's the short metallic-y, echo-y, grabby noise and sometimes it's more of a growling noise. Sometimes, I think it's ok until I start to pull out onto a main road or interstate and my engine revs like it's going to explode. I then have to let completely off the gas until it calms, then slowly take back off. Now that this defect is endangering me and my son, I will do whatever I need to do to get it corrected. That's all I want. I've paid my car off, my warranty has expired, but I was sold a defective car.

My dome light went out within the first 6 months that I had my car & I've now just given up on it after 2 new bulbs have quit. The little light on the bottom interior of my driver's side door quit a while back...I can't really remember ever having that work. 3 of my climate system's control backlights on my dash have been out for the past 3 years or longer. We replaced my front AND back brakes within the first 18 months that we owned the car....replaced the back brakes again 2 years ago, along with the brake rotors, and now, they're squawking again.

Oh...and I guess the calipers will keep sticking until I can afford to have those replaced. My paint is peeling from around my back window and I do not use drive through car washes. And lastly, my keyless entry remotes have not worked very well since the day that I bought my car. I've replaced the batteries time & again, but most of the time I just have to use the key. I bought a Honda because I've always heard that they're the most well-built cars, they last, & there's less upkeep with them.

Somehow I found the biggest POS Honda ever made. I would have had my car looked at when problems started years ago, but I couldn't afford any repairs in addition to my car payment. Now, I've paid a small fortune for a car that I can't even trade or sell without basically giving it away.

- , Baxter, TN, USA

Jan 012015

Accord EX V4

I went through 5 1/2 quarts of oil since the last oil change. I took it to the dealer and they started an oil consumption test. I am to go back at 1000 miles to check the oil. The problem is that I suspect the dealer overfilled it at the oil change. I bought a case of oil in single quart bottles to complete the test for an exact measurement. More to come with the results of the test.

I see there is a class action lawsuit on the 6 cylinder models. Is there one started for the 4 cylinder models. If so, sign me up.

- , Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Apr 012015

Bought used 2009 Honda Accord from a Ford Dealership and after 2 months the car was not driving properly. My husband looked under the hood and checked the oil only to find it was low. He added oil, problem solved; so we thought. After a month, the engine again didn't feel right. We added oil again. We knew some thing was wrong. We took the car in to Ford. They couldn't find anything wrong. We went to Honda and of course we had to do the infamous oil consumption test. Well, we soon found out that we need to replace the piston rings which is like a whole engine over haul. Honda agreed to share the cost. Our portion was $1300. I hope this will fix our problem. We loved Honda. Notice loved is past tense. We are so disappointed with Honda. Hopefully after the fix we can regain confidence back into their product.

- , Antelope, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Accord ES 2.4L 4

Honda made a big deal about this 'high tech' engine, but it has turned out to be a piece of s....

- , Dallas, GA, USA

Mar 152015

Accord EX 2.4L

I have had to add at least a quart of oil to my car every 5 days. I constantly have to monitor the levels or the car sounds like it's going to explode.

- , Gibsonia, PA, USA

Oct 172014

Accord LX 4 Cyc

Lost 5 quarts of oil every 5k oil change. Added 5 quarts of oil on 02/27/2015 then the oil light intermittently on and off displayed. Call Honda dealer, and the service adviser told me to coming for a new oil change, and come back at 1k for them to recheck the oil. Service adviser @ the dealership told me that Honda allow 1 quart of oil to be lost for every 1k that I drive. It's sucks, and have to stuck with this oil monster consumption.

Call Honda Corp, and spoke to the customer service gal. She was obnoxious and told me that there is no recall, nor aware of any problems with the over oil-burning consumption that Honda is aware of. She told me to do exactly what the Local Honda service adviser suggested.

No more Honda for me.

- , Randallstown, MD, USA

Jul 042014

Accord LX 2.4L

I have been adding 2-3 quarts in between oil changes for the past 3-4 scheduled services. It just sucks because this has never happened to any of my previous cars. I was expecting better from a Honda vehicle.

- , South Burlington, VT, USA

Feb 122015

Accord V4

I just finished paying off my car only to find that it is consuming way too much oil. At first my engine started making noise so I checked everything and my car had no oil in it!! I was not due for an oil change and I didn't even drive 5,000 miles yet! I had to keep adding a quart of oil to my car every month. This was excessive seeing as how I work right in town.

The Honda dealership told me they need me to come in 3 times so they can check the oil consumption levels. I did that. They finally get back to me today to tell me they need to take apart the whole engine and if they find anything wrong that's not covered under my power-train warranty then it may cost me $2100 plus whatever else needed to be fixed.

There is a federal class action lawsuit that claims that 2008-2010 Honda Accords have “a systematic design defect that enables oil to enter into the engine’s combustion chamber.” The defect causes excessive oil consumption, premature spark plug degradation and engine malfunction. But this lawsuit only covers V6 engines. Why doesn't it cover 4 cylinder? I'm having the same problem!! It's just annoying seeing as how I literally just finished paying the car off which took me 5 years!

I will not buy a Honda again because Honda tried hiding this information from their consumers because there was no safety issue. I don't want to keep this car but I also cant afford another car payment! It's a brand new car. I shouldn't have to worry about this.

Update from Feb 25, 2015: I had a recall done on this vehicle in 2011 for a software update for fuel injectors and valve timing which could lead to increased oil consumption. The dealership is telling me that this recall is different from the problem that I'm having now. I dont think so. They should have seen the problem back then. How is a software update going to stop the car from using too much oil?

Sullivan Honda told me that the cylinder walls have pitting and scoring, there are small scratches where the piston rings are, and the oil is burning out the end. They said the damage to the short block is minimal, there is leakage on the top end, there are hash marks.

Bob Russo at Sullivan Honda in Torrington, CT said that they need to replace the short block which cost $5000, they need to replace valve seals and head set. Pretty much rebuild the whole engine. I bought this car on 12/4/2009, the miles on the car are only 48,841. I have a 5 yr/60,000 mile warranty. I brought the car into Torrington/Sullivan Honda on 12/26/12 complaining of an oil leak.I brought it in again on 12/2/14 complaining of high oil consumption. Bob had to do an oil consumption test which took a few months from the original date of me bringing it in. Bob at Sullivan Honda is trying to tell me that now (2/25/15) my car is out of warranty and Honda is willing to goodwill my car and I'm only responsible for $500 of the whole engine overhaul.

I think this is bullshit. I could see if the car had 150,000 miles and needed an engine overhaul but not at 48,000 miles. This is not my fault. This is obviously a defect on the car. Now I have to deal with customer service at Honda and hope that they will get Sullivan Honda to fix the car under warranty. If not, I may get a lawyer or even take it to channel 8 news so everyone will know the bullshit that Bob is putting me through. This is bullshit. I'm pissed. I shouldn't have to worry about a whole engine rebuild on my 5 year old car with very low mileage!

- , Torrington, CT, USA