CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

2009 Honda Accord fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Sep 072015

Accord

On 9/7/2015, I shut my passenger door to my 2009 Honda Accord and the side air bag deployed. I have been battling Honda North America and have had two independent insurance adjusters verify that the air bag was not deployed due to any type of collision. The car was stationary and parked when this occurred.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Mar 042015

Accord 4-cyl

Engine surged and vehicle sped up, on it's own, when pulling into a parking lot. Vehicle collided with boulders and railroad ties causing damage to the front, rear, undercarriage, and ruptured the fuel tank. When the vehicle came to rest, people were yelling for the occupants to "get out" of the vehicle, because fuel was gushing all over the ground. Driver is 84 and passenger is 82. Both sustained injuries to their spines and driver is still in the hospital as of 3/8/2015. Needless to say, this could have been much worse.

- Oroville, CA, USA

Feb 012012

Accord

Ever since I bought my car I've noticed that my oil burns up a lot faster than other cars. When I get an oil change done it only takes less than 2 months for the oil in the tank to burn away quickly. I use the recommended 5W 20. I'm having to top off the tank more often and spend more money on oil consumption.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Jun 052012

Accord 4-cyl

The check engine light came on as a result of a spider web build up in the evap fuel vent box and a spring was installed to prevent this from happening again.

- Warwick, RI, USA