CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Honda Accord has a solid reputation (so far), with one very significant flaw: uncomfortable seats.

Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight.

The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.5

2. Honda replacing engine (9 reports)
  3. replace engine or take car back (7 reports)
  4. pistons and rings replaced (5 reports)
  5. rebuilt engine (1 reports)
  6. switched to Castrol 5-20 full synthetic (1 reports)
2010 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Honda Accord:

2010 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 012015

Accord

Called Mistlin Honda in Modesto, CA, service writer stated they can only service vehicle for problem if I have a check engine light on before 120,000 miles, I don't see how check engine light will come on when I keep toping off oil, I would think engine light would only come on until there was engine damage due to low oil.

- , Ceres, CA, USA

Jun 012014

Accord EX 2.4L

bought honda because of longevity, but now i wonder if engine will last much past payoff. really wish would have bought american now. this is a 4 cyl engine but is using 3-4 qts of oil between oil changes.

- , Burlington, NC, USA

Feb 222016

Accord EX 3.2L V6

My 2010 Honda Accord all of a sudden started running out of oil without the oil light coming on. The check engine light comes on, I check the oil and it does not show on the stick. The first time, it took 3.5 quarts of oil to be right (the car only takes 4.5 normally) and the second time it took 3 quarts. It is not leaking, it does not burn oil. The oil is just gone.

I looked it up on line and there has been a class action lawsuit regarding this. You just call to see if your VIN is included in the 1.5 million Hondas this is a problem in. Then you find out your VIN is NOT one of the affected vehicles, even though it is doing EXACTLY the same thing that is reported, and that your warranty has run out so there is nothing you can do. When I asked to talk to someone else, she asked me what use that would do? When I insisted, I got transferred to the Private Concern Dept only to be told the same thing. BUT I can take it to the Honda Dealership and get it verified that this is the problem and they would look at it.

I stopped taking it to the dealership when the mileage was close to 100,000. Right as this was happening for the first time and I did not know what it was. I thought they just hadn't put enough oil in when they changed it the last time. I have always had oil changes done on time. Honda has gotten enough of my money. They should buck up and handle this problem. If it involves V6 accord's from 2008-2012 made in the USA (of course mine was), how can my VIN not be in the list???

- , Massillon, OH, USA

Dec 042015

Accord EX-L V6

Pat Peck Honda is telling me that it is normal for this vehicle to burn up to 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles. This dealer ruined my 2001 Civic changing the timing belt incorrectly.

- , Long Beach, MS, USA

Feb 012016

Accord EX 2.4L

I've enjoyed Accords for the past almost 30 years. I'm five years and 95k miles into a 2010 Accord Sedan EX Manual that I purchased new in April, 2010.

At about 85k miles, I noticed coming from my car the sound I've witnessed emanating from other Accords at startup; that horrible CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK... If you've heard it, you know what I mean... I always thought I was the lucky one and got a real good car and wouldn't have the same misfortune as others. I've always changed my oil on time, switched to Honda brand synthetic a long time ago, and always use a fuel with additives. No bargain-brand stuff here. So when I heard that awful sound coming from my car, I knew I was doomed!

I'm currently in the process of having the "oil consumption test." I'll update with results after the third test.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 012014

Accord EX V6

My Honda Accord, ever since 50000 miles, every time I change the oil I see it's 2 1/2 quarts low. Pretty bad for a 30 thousand dollar car . Never thought I be putting oil in a car under a 150 thousand miles. Have a Ford Ranger has 260 thousand mile and doesn't burn a drop.

- , Slidell, LA, USA

Apr 152013

Accord ES -L 3.2L V6

I will never buy another Honda again. The support is awful and the car is unreliable

- , Middletown, NY, USA

Mar 212010

Accord EXL V4

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption

I have a 2010 Honda Accord that I bought new in 2009. Great car.

I’ve had no major problems except for excessive oil consumption. I drive about 450 miles a week, and have always had to put in a quart of oil about every two weeks. Everything runs fine; it’s just a nuisance especially on long trips.

I experienced the oil consumption problem very early in the car’s life. At about 25,000 miles I decided that I wanted to get the issue fixed while it was still under warranty, so I brought it into a local dealership. They did the first oil consumption test, and determined that the car consumed just under a quart every thousand miles. Therefore, the warranty claim was denied. Honda will only fix it if the car uses over a quart every 1000 miles.

A few years later I was very happy when I got the recall notice in the mail stating that Honda has acknowledged the excessive oil consumption problem due to the loose piston rings. Took my car into a different dealership for the oil consumption test, and they tested that my Accord consumed 6.5 quarts of oil over the span of 7,278 miles. (0.8125 quarts per 1000 miles on average)

Honda again denied the claim to repair the pistons because my mileage was too high. Honda will only cover the repairs up to 120,000 miles.

The dealership estimated the cost of the repair would be about $2000.00. Honda did offer to pay 50% of the repair costs ($1000). With my driving routine at $5 a quart, it costs me about $2.25 a week in oil. The car currently has 164,000 miles, and at “0.000893 quarts of oil per mile at $5 a quart”, I wouldn’t see a return on investment on the repairs until 387,938 miles.

I don’t plan on keeping the car that long; therefore, I declined to get it repaired. I’ll probably just keep topping it off once a week.

Here is the paperwork from the oil consumption test: http://i.imgur.com/cQ5HJ3L.jpg

- , Cleveland, OH, USA

Jun 062012

Accord LX 4 cyl

I bought the car new in 2010, after 2 years the top of the engine stared making noise upon starting the car. Apple Honda in Riverhead NY fixed the problem charging me a $100.00 deductible. At the time of that fix they told me the car was 2 quarts low on oil, that is when I first heard or thought I had a problem. I have been adding about a quart of oil every 1000 miles which is very annoying, Apple Honda told be it is normal, I had 2 oil consumption tests since then proving it burns at least 1 quart every 1000 miles but they say it is normal and send me on my way. Is it normal to burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles? After talking to multiple reputable mechanics, they say it should not burn that much. What do I do or where do I go from here? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

- , center moriches, NY, USA

Nov 122014

Accord 4

TO MUCH OIL BURNING AND CAUSED BY ENGINE BLOW BY? THIS SHOULD BE COVERED BY HONDA.. SOUNDS LIKE ANOTHER THER LAW SUIT COMING DOWN THE PIKE..

- , Belleville, USA

Sep 122012

Accord EX 2.4L cyl

FYI American Honda has finally admitted their fault with excessive oil consumption on the 2008-2011 Honda Accord 4 cyl. I received a letter called a Honda Safety Recall JN9 extending my warranty to 125,000 miles or 8 years whichever comes first. Just take it to nearest Honda dealer for oil consumption test and the service mgr said Honda will accept a quart loss every 1400 miles. They are apt to fix it by replacing rings and depending on which pistons were installed they will replace them also. So, no more run around by dealers since now they get paid for their work. The letter says the warranty is transferable so if you bought it used you are covered.

- , Pinson, AL, USA

Jan 012011

Accord EX-L V6

This vehicle has been a pain in the ass since we bought it! My husband has constantly checked and added oil to this vehicle at least once per week. It uses around a quart of oil around every 300 miles. The number 3 spark plug continues to foul. My husband has to pull the plug and clean it every two weeks or it will foul so bad the check engine light will flash and the vehicle becomes unstable. Of course the vehicle can't be driven in this state. I had to have the vehicle towed once because it was unable to be driven after the plug fouled on a 160 mile trip. My husband had to drive 160 miles to come down to pull the plug and clean it. This vehicle was purchased brand new at Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge Virginia. I'm hoping that Hendrick Honda will step up to the plate since American Honda has acknowledged that there is a serious problem with these V6 engines. I welcome any contact with those who are experiencing the same issues.

- , Stafford, VA, USA

Mar 202015

Accord EX-L 3.2L

I noticed a rattle in my car when I would start the engine after it had been sitting for a few hours or overnight. I took my car to have the oil topped off in between changes because the engine light was blinking and it was rattling loud and the guy told me I was 2.5 quarts low after having it changed just a month before. 3 weeks later it started doing the same thing, so I took it back to have it topped off and I was 2 quarts low again. The guy told me there was issues with my year model and to get in touch with Honda. In doing my research, I've found the Oil Consumption Problems... but no recalls or fixes for 2010 models that are a 4 cyc. So whats next? I love my car, and I don't want to trade up --- so what are my options where Im not out of pocket? Are there even any?

- , Eden, NC, USA

Aug 042015

Accord EX 3.5L V6

Second time had an oil consumption problem with this car. This time it requires that the dealer tear the engine apart to repair 4 of the 6 rings, replace spark plugs and who knows what else. However dealer is handling this very well. Service adviser told me that this problem is know by Honda and have extended the warranty to 8 years and all repairs are covered as well as a loaner car.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

May 152014

Accord EXL 4 cyl

Taken car to dealership, all they want to do is tell you to keep oil in it and they are not sure why the car is making noise or burning oil. Each time the test is completed , I'm told the oil is burning normal. 1 quart for every 1000 miles. If this is true , why does my oil light come on at 80% from my sensor. They don't want to admit they have a problem. I need to add 2 quarts of 5w20 before I even reach 3000 miles.

- , Herndon, VA, USA

Jun 012014

Accord ES V4

EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION, OIL MUST BE ADDED ONCE A MONTH.

- , Lebanon, TN, USA

Sep 022014

Accord EXL 4 cyl

I have owned nothing but Hondas for 30 years and my 2010 Accord is the only one that has ever burned through oil. It goes through a quart every 1000-1,500 miles. I have had several consumption tests and the dealer says their is nothing they can do because the problem isn't severe enough. This is really making me rethink my brand loyalty!

- , Franklin, TN, USA

Feb 042015

Accord V6 3.5L V6

Bought 3 year old Honda Accord with 37,000 miles thinking I had a vehicle for the long run without issues. Less than 3,000 miles later the car goes in like safe mode and the check engine light turns on. I placed the computer and saw the piston 3 misfire. Did my research and saw all the madness regarding excessive oil consumption. In the dealer they changed the spark plugs, which were filled with oil, and did the magic "software update". The car continues to burn oil like there is no tomorrow. A quart per 1000 miles. I am extremely disappointed with Honda and the way they are treating people like idiots saying a software update will correct the poorly installed pistons and rings. They need to really fix this NOW.

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

Mar 142015

Accord LX 2.3L

The oil light came on when I used the brake. There were no oil leaks in my garage, so the obvious reason was that the engine was consuming oil. I reported that to Honda and they recommended a Oil consumption check .

I will update once I hear back the results.

- , Monmouth Junction, NJ, USA

Nov 062014

Accord LX 2.4L

I am taking care of this 2010 Accord 4 cylinder for my niece and it is using a lot of oil every 1000 miles. I found out by reading the claims on this issue with the 6 cylinders. I called the dealer and they said to bring it by the shop and they will do a check on the oil consumption every 1000 miles. This is time consuming and it is hard for people to take time away from their work to bring it by. I think Honda needs to make sure all of the issues with their cars are taken care of. We as Americans deserve the right to see them make it correct, because we pay a lot of money for the vehicles. If we do something wrong we have to pay for it.

- , Newnan, GA, USA