CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Honda Accord has a solid reputation (so far), with one very significant flaw: uncomfortable seats.

Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight.

The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.4

2. Honda replacing engine (9 reports)
  3. replace engine or take car back (7 reports)
  4. pistons and rings replaced (5 reports)
  5. rebuilt engine (1 reports)
  6. switched to Castrol 5-20 full synthetic (1 reports)
2010 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Honda Accord:

2010 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 312015

Accord 2.4L Line 4

I bought Honda Accord Used August 2014 As Is and have religiously changed oil every 3,000 miles, have changed spark plugs twice. I took the vehicle to Honda Dealership for high oil consumption test and was told to bring back vehicle after 1,000 miles. I took vehicle back and was told everything checked out good. I then changed oil the following day and a week later checked oil and found dip stick indicated oil below minimum. Please Help!!!

- , Lafayette, IN, USA

Jan 012016

Accord EX 4

My engine light came on and I took it to my mechanic (who used to work at a Honda dealership) who told me that my car was low on oil. He checked for leaks and there were none. He said he heard about Accord oil consumption issues and to take my car to the dealer for a "oil consumption test". I thought for sure it would be no issue because it was DEFINITELY using oil. So the dealer told me that it was down between 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart after 1,000 miles and that according to Honda that was acceptable!! I had a '95 Accord and it never used oil and I put over 200,000 miles on it! To say that a QUART of oil every 1000 miles is preposterous!! I'm sending a letter to the President of Honda America and to my state Attorney General.

- , Redmond, WA, USA

May 062016

Accord ES 3.5L V6

150 MILES USING A QUART OF OIL REPLACED THE SPARK PLUGS TWICE

- , Holyoke, MA, USA

Jun 122016

Accord EXL 3.5L

This excessive oil burning has been an issue since I have had the car. The car has stalled out on me and burned 3qts in less than 200 miles. Honda and the dealerships will not fix anything. They only did an update to the software but never sent a recall notice. The car is not leaking oil or smoking. The oil has to be going somewhere and that is causing damage. I bought the Honda for the reliability of the motor. Never again will I purchase a Honda.

- , Meridian, MS, USA

May 082016

Accord V6

Honda dealer does not fix the issue. We go back quite often looking for more help

- , Coxsackie, NY, USA

Jan 252016

Accord EX-L V6

Approximately 4 months ago i purchased a 2010 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V6. A gift for my wife. A beautiful car and runs good at this time. With in these 4 months i have had to add 3 qts. of motor oil. It doesn't leak or smoke. I did some investigating and found out that there are a lot of people with same car, same motor, same problem. What can be done to fix this issue.

- , Newman, CA, USA

Apr 042016

Accord LX 4 cyl

I get my oil change at the dealership since I bought the car in 2010. I been having a problem the past year when starting my car in the morning I get this noise, I turn the ignition key off than back on and it started ok. I checked the problem on line and they said it might be my serpentine belt so I had the belt replaced and the problem still existed.

I then checked again on Car Complaints, that's when I found out about the oil consumption problems with the Honda Accord and that the noise could be caused by the cylinder not being lubed properly by the VTC Actuator. I then checked my oil level and found that it was more then a quart low. I added a quart of oil to the engine.

It was time for my 5K oil change so I made a appointment to have my car serviced. I brought my car in and explained the problem to the tech who told me he was aware of the problem with the oil consumption and that I will have to bring my car back to get the oil level checked at 1K miles intervals for the next 3000 miles after they change my oil.

Update from May 2, 2016: I was told to bring my car back after 1000 miles so that they could monitor my oil consumption after the oil change. I checked it myself after the oil change and at 1000 miles before I brought it back to the dealership. After the oil change it was above the full mark by at least 1/4 inch and after 1000 miles it was at the full mark on the dip stick. They checked the oil and I was told the oil level was ok and I was told they didn't want me to touch the dipstick to check the oil level. They wanted me to bring it back to them after the second 1000 miles and let them check it. This didn't seem right to me and that is why I'm reporting it to you in this complaint form. I would appreciate your feedback on this matter.

Update from May 23, 2016: I brought my car back to Honda service for my 2000 mile check. Oil level was ok. I asked service manager about the grinding noise when first starting my car in the morning. It just happens occasionally not all the time. He said it was the VTC actuator which he said isn't covered because car is out of warranty. He said it will cost 500 dollars to repair. I looked on line at the complaints and this is a on going problem with Honda Accord since 2008. What I would like to know is why wasn't this problem recalled. I would like to register a formal complaint against Honda on this matter.

- , Barnegat, NJ, USA

Oct 022015

Accord EX 4 Cly

My car is on recall for the oil consumption. I took my car to the dealer 3 times it still isnt working my car is burning oil and gas and they want to charge me 1600 plus dollars to have my car fixed.

- , Indian Head, MD, USA

Apr 102016

Accord LX V4

They seem to have a recall for the V6 for the same problem but not the V4

- , Holyoke, MA, USA

Jun 012015

Accord

Called Mistlin Honda in Modesto, CA, service writer stated they can only service vehicle for problem if I have a check engine light on before 120,000 miles, I don't see how check engine light will come on when I keep toping off oil, I would think engine light would only come on until there was engine damage due to low oil.

- , Ceres, CA, USA

Jun 012014

Accord EX 2.4L

bought honda because of longevity, but now i wonder if engine will last much past payoff. really wish would have bought american now. this is a 4 cyl engine but is using 3-4 qts of oil between oil changes.

- , Burlington, NC, USA

Feb 222016

Accord EX 3.2L V6

My 2010 Honda Accord all of a sudden started running out of oil without the oil light coming on. The check engine light comes on, I check the oil and it does not show on the stick. The first time, it took 3.5 quarts of oil to be right (the car only takes 4.5 normally) and the second time it took 3 quarts. It is not leaking, it does not burn oil. The oil is just gone.

I looked it up on line and there has been a class action lawsuit regarding this. You just call to see if your VIN is included in the 1.5 million Hondas this is a problem in. Then you find out your VIN is NOT one of the affected vehicles, even though it is doing EXACTLY the same thing that is reported, and that your warranty has run out so there is nothing you can do. When I asked to talk to someone else, she asked me what use that would do? When I insisted, I got transferred to the Private Concern Dept only to be told the same thing. BUT I can take it to the Honda Dealership and get it verified that this is the problem and they would look at it.

I stopped taking it to the dealership when the mileage was close to 100,000. Right as this was happening for the first time and I did not know what it was. I thought they just hadn't put enough oil in when they changed it the last time. I have always had oil changes done on time. Honda has gotten enough of my money. They should buck up and handle this problem. If it involves V6 accord's from 2008-2012 made in the USA (of course mine was), how can my VIN not be in the list???

- , Massillon, OH, USA

Dec 042015

Accord EX-L V6

Pat Peck Honda is telling me that it is normal for this vehicle to burn up to 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles. This dealer ruined my 2001 Civic changing the timing belt incorrectly.

- , Long Beach, MS, USA

Feb 012016

Accord EX 2.4L

I've enjoyed Accords for the past almost 30 years. I'm five years and 95k miles into a 2010 Accord Sedan EX Manual that I purchased new in April, 2010.

At about 85k miles, I noticed coming from my car the sound I've witnessed emanating from other Accords at startup; that horrible CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK... If you've heard it, you know what I mean... I always thought I was the lucky one and got a real good car and wouldn't have the same misfortune as others. I've always changed my oil on time, switched to Honda brand synthetic a long time ago, and always use a fuel with additives. No bargain-brand stuff here. So when I heard that awful sound coming from my car, I knew I was doomed!

I'm currently in the process of having the "oil consumption test." I'll update with results after the third test.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 012014

Accord EX V6

My Honda Accord, ever since 50000 miles, every time I change the oil I see it's 2 1/2 quarts low. Pretty bad for a 30 thousand dollar car . Never thought I be putting oil in a car under a 150 thousand miles. Have a Ford Ranger has 260 thousand mile and doesn't burn a drop.

- , Slidell, LA, USA

Apr 152013

Accord ES -L 3.2L V6

I will never buy another Honda again. The support is awful and the car is unreliable

- , Middletown, NY, USA

Mar 212010

Accord EXL V4

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption

I have a 2010 Honda Accord that I bought new in 2009. Great car.

I’ve had no major problems except for excessive oil consumption. I drive about 450 miles a week, and have always had to put in a quart of oil about every two weeks. Everything runs fine; it’s just a nuisance especially on long trips.

I experienced the oil consumption problem very early in the car’s life. At about 25,000 miles I decided that I wanted to get the issue fixed while it was still under warranty, so I brought it into a local dealership. They did the first oil consumption test, and determined that the car consumed just under a quart every thousand miles. Therefore, the warranty claim was denied. Honda will only fix it if the car uses over a quart every 1000 miles.

A few years later I was very happy when I got the recall notice in the mail stating that Honda has acknowledged the excessive oil consumption problem due to the loose piston rings. Took my car into a different dealership for the oil consumption test, and they tested that my Accord consumed 6.5 quarts of oil over the span of 7,278 miles. (0.8125 quarts per 1000 miles on average)

Honda again denied the claim to repair the pistons because my mileage was too high. Honda will only cover the repairs up to 120,000 miles.

The dealership estimated the cost of the repair would be about $2000.00. Honda did offer to pay 50% of the repair costs ($1000). With my driving routine at $5 a quart, it costs me about $2.25 a week in oil. The car currently has 164,000 miles, and at “0.000893 quarts of oil per mile at $5 a quart”, I wouldn’t see a return on investment on the repairs until 387,938 miles.

I don’t plan on keeping the car that long; therefore, I declined to get it repaired. I’ll probably just keep topping it off once a week.

Here is the paperwork from the oil consumption test: http://i.imgur.com/cQ5HJ3L.jpg

- , Cleveland, OH, USA

Jun 062012

Accord LX 4 cyl

I bought the car new in 2010, after 2 years the top of the engine stared making noise upon starting the car. Apple Honda in Riverhead NY fixed the problem charging me a $100.00 deductible. At the time of that fix they told me the car was 2 quarts low on oil, that is when I first heard or thought I had a problem. I have been adding about a quart of oil every 1000 miles which is very annoying, Apple Honda told be it is normal, I had 2 oil consumption tests since then proving it burns at least 1 quart every 1000 miles but they say it is normal and send me on my way. Is it normal to burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles? After talking to multiple reputable mechanics, they say it should not burn that much. What do I do or where do I go from here? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

- , center moriches, NY, USA

Nov 122014

Accord 4

TO MUCH OIL BURNING AND CAUSED BY ENGINE BLOW BY? THIS SHOULD BE COVERED BY HONDA.. SOUNDS LIKE ANOTHER THER LAW SUIT COMING DOWN THE PIKE..

- , Belleville, USA

Sep 122012

Accord EX 2.4L cyl

FYI American Honda has finally admitted their fault with excessive oil consumption on the 2008-2011 Honda Accord 4 cyl. I received a letter called a Honda Safety Recall JN9 extending my warranty to 125,000 miles or 8 years whichever comes first. Just take it to nearest Honda dealer for oil consumption test and the service mgr said Honda will accept a quart loss every 1400 miles. They are apt to fix it by replacing rings and depending on which pistons were installed they will replace them also. So, no more run around by dealers since now they get paid for their work. The letter says the warranty is transferable so if you bought it used you are covered.

- , Pinson, AL, USA