CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Honda Accord has a solid reputation (so far), with one very significant flaw: uncomfortable seats.

Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight.

The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.6

2. Honda replacing engine (9 reports)
  3. pistons and rings replaced (7 reports)
  4. replace engine or take car back (7 reports)
  5. rebuilt engine (1 reports)
  6. replace ignition coil (1 reports)
2010 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Honda Accord:

2010 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Mar 232016

Accord EX V6

Excessive oil consumption. I have a 2010 Honda Accord V6. I notified Honda that I am having to put in between 2-5 quarts of oil between oil changes. I am the original owner of the car, the car started having this problem at around 65,000 miles. It became worse once it hit 100,000. The car's check engine light turned on, I took it to the mechanic and he showed me the oil dipstick, it was completely dry, NO OIL! . I live in Florida so I use it mainly on flat roads at average speeds. Honda has a technical bulletin out tsb #11-033 which says all Honda Accords need a software update to help mitigate the problem. Honda refuses to install this update on my car, they say my car's VIN is not covered as part of this update. They say that it is normal to burn 1-3 quarts of oil between oil changes and I should continue to put oil in the car.

- , Pompano Beach, FL, US

Apr 012016

Accord 4 cyl

I have noticed that every time I check the oil it appears to be down at least a Quart or more. I just changed the oil and within a 3 week period it was down close to a quart of oil.

- , Irwin, US

Sep 242016

Accord EXL V6

Once again this 2010 Honda Accord EXL put me down. It is, by far, the most unreliable car I have ever owned. It was purchased new in 2010. I've had it in the shop 3 times in the last year due to some type "oil" problem. It has 46,000 miles on it. Yes, only 46,000 miles. This time, I stopped at a red light and as I attempted to give it gas to go (green light) I had no power whatsoever. I limped to the side (after crossing a busy intersection). The engine light was on. This is the second time this has happened to me. I took it to a reputable Honda repair shop and was told I was at least 2 quarts low on oil (it didn't even register on the dipstick). I just had the oil changed!! They performed an oil change and said the light went off. I decided that it was too dangerous to drive with such unexpected loss of power. So, I took it to the Honda Dealer (where I bought the car). Meanwhile, I'm looking online to see about what could be causing this problem REPEATEDLY. That's when I found the SILENT Class Action Settlement on 2010 Honda Accord's. The complaints that I see on this website are identical to what is happening to me. So, I have nothing to look forward to but more trouble. When I talked to the Honda Dealer Rep--I was told that I couldn't prove the car was at a minimum 2 quarts low of oil. They would not take anything into account for previous work that was done on the car (I had paperwork). the work "had to be done by a Honda Dealer". I was told the people that changed the oil "must have spilled some and got it on the exhaust pipe". The Rep said that these Accords have a built in safety device to disable the car when it is low of oil. When I questioned why the low oil indicator light didn't come on first--I was told that it has to be really low of oil for the indicator light to come on. REALLY! Is this guy for real????? The car will become disabled BEFORE the low oil light indicator comes on! Yes, he was for real. I can't even wrap my brain around that statement. Anyway, He checks my car out, deems the oil change was all that was needed and everything was good. Nothing showed up on the diagnostic check. The car was not consuming oil--but had no rational explanation WHY I was 2 quarts low! Soooo, I pick up my car (after reassurance that all was fine). Within 4 miles, of leaving the dealership, my engine light comes on again. I pull over and stress for a minute. I decide to drive my car back to the dealership--praying that it won't become disabled. I left my car there (the shop was closed). This morning I talk to the same guy that told me yesterday that everything was "good to go". He says he put it on the diagnostic machine and the error showed "rocker arm oil pressure switches" are faulty. No explanation why it showed this error after driving approximately 4 miles. Now, the cost is another $500 to fix this problem. The problems that I am CONSISTENTLY having around oil pressure and loss of power is SIGNIFICANTLY related to the Honda class action suit. But, because the error did not show a misfire--it is not covered under that extended warranty. Even though I can prove that I had the oil changed the day before, because the dealership didn't change the oil--they will not consider doing an oil consumption test on the car. THEY have to change the oil. Get that money every way you can Honda Dealer!!!! So today, I am having my oil changed for a second time (within 24 hours) and will have to bring my car to the dealer every 500 miles for them to do an oil consumption test. After reading the complaints on here, for the same problem, I seriously doubt that they will admit that it is consuming oil. My car is consuming oil--not leaking oil. It is caused sludge build up, gunk, you name it -to get on the other parts and then they malfunction........These repairs could go on for years. I'm screwed!!! Never again will I entertain buying another Honda. This dealership KNOWS that these problems are related to the excess oil consumption problem but refuses to do right by its customers. I hope they go bankrupt!!!!

- , Millington, TN, USA

Mar 132017

Accord LX 4L V6

I reported that our company's 2010 Honda Accord was using excessive oil. They had me complete a 3000 Mile oil consumption test that revealed the car is consuming over a quart of oil every 3000 miles. They said that level of oil consumption is "normal." However, I've never had a normally working car that consumed oil.

Last year, the car started "missing" at the end of a long trip and the Check Engine light came on. I took the car into a (non-dealer) repair shop the next day and they said that Cylinder 3 was fouled. The replaced the plugs and some other ignition components and sent me on my way. I mentioned that repair to the dealership and was told that since they didn't have the Check Engine code, that the event didn't qualify me to have the engine repaired.

On my way to the office today the car started "missing" again and generally riding rough and the Check Engine light lit up. I reached the office and called the dealership to have it towed in for repair. We'll see what the Check Engine code looks like this time. It's been only 2060 miles since I completed the 3000 mile oil consumption test. Honda needs to fix this problem. Otherwise the car is in really nice condition.

- , Ocean Springs, US

Oct 022016

Accord EX

Milton Martin Honda says a normal oil consumption for a car 1.2 quarts for every 1,200 miles. I have owned 3 Honda Accords, 1 Honda Passport, and 1 Honda Pilot. I have never experienced oil consumption until now with my 2010 Honda Accord. Why did the Dealership add oil to my today after an oil change on 12/26/206? I was 1.6 quarts low for 1600 miles. Did the oil sensor come on? No. The car only creates a knocking noise. I have always found Honda reliable until now. Would people buy Honda cars if they have to add to a quart of oil every 1600 miles? Never. I am in the middle of trying to get Honda to anti-up and fix my problem.

Update from Feb 28, 2017: I also forgot to add the low oil sensor never comes on.

- , Flowery Branch, GA, USA

Nov 152016

Accord

Went threw 2 quarts of oil in 1300 miles. Awful!!!!! never leaked a drop. I really depend on my car, this is the third Honda Accord I have owned, number one and number two were a dream to own and drive and never any issues. Number three is a pain in the ass because of the oil consumption issue. I need this issue to go away, and I hope HONDA does the right thing.

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 012014

Accord EX

I have to get an oil change nearly every 2-3 months. There is a hard grinding noise when I accelerate but it only goes away when I get an oil change.

- , Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jul 012016

Accord EX V6

The gas mileage has always been poor since I bought this car in 2010. However, this year we have noticed that the car is running rough. My husband checked the oil and was shocked that I needed more than 2 quarts, especially since I had an oil change a few weeks before.

I took the car to the dealership in July; head mechanic blamed the oil used by the shop who did the oil change and told me I needed a new oil change. I continued to drive and add oil recommended by owner's manual every two weeks until a warning light came on in November with the P3400 code. Same mechanic told me that I needed to replace the oil pressure switch. That cost $178.

It was at this time another customer told me about the Honda's oil overconsumption issue. I looked it up and my car's problems were perfectly described. I showed this to the head mechanic who rolled his eyes and said my VIN didn't indicate that my car fit into that group.

Two weeks after having oil switch replaced, my car was running roughly again and needed another 2 quarts of oil. I took it back to dealer. Head mechanic first told me that I wasn't in the appointment book (I called 3 days earlier and made an 8 a.m. appointment.) and couldn't look at my car until later in the afternoon. (I live 30 miles away and no loaner cars were available). I had to make an appointment for a later date.

The head mechanic at the dealership appears to be under the belief that if a computer code doesn't pop up, there isn't anything wrong with the car. I pointed out that I should not be adding oil every two weeks for a 6 year old car. He agreed that wasn't right and blamed it again on the oil that I was putting into the car -- despite using the recommended oil in the owner's manual.

- , Pittsboro, NC, USA

May 022016

Accord ES V6

The car is burning excessive oil. There is a loud noise upon starting the car and a high-pitched whining while driving the car. The dashboard reading of oil level is within normal limits however when reading the oil on the dipstick it is barely any oil in the car. We have brought the car to the dealership three times and each time they say that there is not an all oil consumption problem. However, this continues to be problematic and appoint checking again we found the same issue with a minimal to no audio on the dipstick while a 70% reading on the dash reading for oil level. The dealership in Slidell Louisiana has done nothing to try and rectify this problem even though we have brought it to their attention that there has been a recall for this problem. We cannot find any documentation on the recall at this time though we have received something in the mail regarding this in the past

- , Mandeville, LA, US

Jan 272016

Accord LX 4 cyl

Car is burning almost 2 quarts of oil between 3k changes

- , Orchard Park, NY, USA

Oct 012015

Accord EX-L V6

Unless we can get this problem fixed we are going to have to sell this car. We would love to keep it but at this rate with how much oil it burns and how often we have to get new spark plugs it is getting to be very expensive. My husband and I have driven nothing but Hondas since we were teenagers and have never had any issues until now. But it is very alarming that Honda has not felt the need to fix this problem. In order to stick with Honda we are having to go out of our price range in hopes to get a car without this issue.

- , Hickory, NC, USA

Oct 082016

Accord V6

I have a 2010 Honda Accord V6 that according to the final settlement language "Any and all Honda Accords from 2010 with the VCM engine" I went to a Honda dealership to fix the problem but they are saying that they cant help me because the settlement is VIN specific. I read the court decree and see nothing that leads me to think that. I called American Honda and two different people they keep telling me its VIN specific and they cant help me in addition to the Oil consumption I am having the misfire problem and they say it will cost me $120 to update the software on a known problem by them. After all this my Catalytic convertor is messed up now and needs to be fixed. Talking to mechanics and doing online research they say that the oil leaking could be the problem of the convertor going out another issue. This is my third Honda Accord I have been driving them since 1988. that has high oil consumption( Put Synthetic oil Sept 20 and when I took it tit mechanic Oct 20 for misfire problem he said there was no oil. I replaced the Engine coil and Spark Plugs a year ago and now at about 50,000 miles later I ma having same problem.

- , Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jun 012016

Accord EX-L 6

Like others, a number quarts added between oil change

- , Hurricane, WV, USA

Jan 012016

Accord EXL V4

I didn't think much of the issue when it first started because It was close to when I needed my oil changed. Over the course of 4 months I would need to add a quart of oil just to get through to the next change. In April 2016 I received a letter from Honda saying if my car had 120k miles or less they would consider fixing. I at that point had 145k miles and they would barely speak to me. This issue continued where at 60% oil life I would need to add a quart to get through. At 80% (165k miles)I had no oil left - the car burned everything! I am driving flat highways where speed is considerably the same the whole time - we are not talking the mountains of VT where the car is working in overtime.

The service manager is telling me I should consider a new car at this point.

- , Allentown, NJ, USA

Jul 112016

Accord EXL V6

honda isnt covering my car under lawsuit. however my car is also burning oil and fits the model for the lawsuit

- , East Orange, NJ, USA

Jul 042016

Accord EXL V6

Purchased a 2010 Honda Accord EXL in June 2010. I hardly drove the car the first 4 years. It now has 42,000 miles on it. In June 2010, with no prior warning, the car lost power. I hobbled to a place to pull over and had the car towed. The repair shop said I needed to replace the ignition coil. That repair cost $605. Labor being the bulk of the cost. Subsequently I learned that it was caused by low oil pressure. It was running fine up to that point. I am a second generation Honda Owner. I bought Honda's for my three children. Each one had a Honda. NEVER AGAIN. I've had more trouble out of the 2010 than I have with ALL my other Honda's. Honda just lost a loyal (used to be) customer.

- , Millington, TN, USA

Jun 262013

Accord LX 2.4L

I was by the Dealer 2 times to change the oil themselves to see how much I am losing and what they do is put more oil than normal like 5 quarts or so you have enough oil for the next 3000 mile. But they don't fix the problem even though I have the paper which stated the piston ring should be replaced or checked. What happens when I do not change the oil every 3000 mile because I put a better oil in to it and it's good for 15000 miles??

- , Elmwood Park, IL, USA

Sep 012015

Accord LX 2.4L 4 cyl

I have had excessive oil consumption issue on my Honda for a year+ now. I assumed it was the usage that was leading it to it. However, lately even with less number of mileage being put on car, I am getting low oil frequently. I have poured significant money in oil changes and adding oil in between on my own. After doing research it seems like its a problem. I intend to call warranty line, but if anyone else has any suggestion on what steps I should take, it would be greatly appreciated.

- , Hatfield, PA, USA

Jul 282016

Accord EXL V6

This was a TSB that addressed while at the dealer. Took my car to a non-dealer repair shop that informed me of the TSB. I had the pressure switches and O-ring replaced but car is still burning through oil. I am taking car back to dealer to see if any new codes show on the computer since I am almost out of oil after 10 days since my last oil change. Was told that if the codes do not indicate a problem, there is nothing they can do to fix the problem?!

- , Novi, MI, USA

Jun 012015

Accord EX-L V6

My 2010 Honda accord has been burning excessive oil for years. When the engine reported over 20 codes I took it to the dealer ant they told me about the silent recall. They updated the software and replaced the plugs. However, the oil consumption continued. They made me do 3 oil consumption tests and told me that it does burn too much oil. Now they refuse to help me with a fix. I am adding a quart a week.

I feel this defect caused excessive engine wear.

- , Needham, MA, USA