CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Honda Accord has a solid reputation (so far), with one very significant flaw: uncomfortable seats.

Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight.

The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.4

2. Honda replacing engine (7 reports)
  3. replace engine or take car back (7 reports)
  4. pistons and rings replaced (3 reports)
  5. switched to Castrol 5-20 full synthetic (1 reports)
2010 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Honda Accord:

2010 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 012011

Accord EX-L V6

This vehicle has been a pain in the ass since we bought it! My husband has constantly checked and added oil to this vehicle at least once per week. It uses around a quart of oil around every 300 miles. The number 3 spark plug continues to foul. My husband has to pull the plug and clean it every two weeks or it will foul so bad the check engine light will flash and the vehicle becomes unstable. Of course the vehicle can't be driven in this state. I had to have the vehicle towed once because it was unable to be driven after the plug fouled on a 160 mile trip. My husband had to drive 160 miles to come down to pull the plug and clean it. This vehicle was purchased brand new at Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge Virginia. I'm hoping that Hendrick Honda will step up to the plate since American Honda has acknowledged that there is a serious problem with these V6 engines. I welcome any contact with those who are experiencing the same issues.

- , Stafford, VA, USA

Mar 202015

Accord EX-L 3.2L

I noticed a rattle in my car when I would start the engine after it had been sitting for a few hours or overnight. I took my car to have the oil topped off in between changes because the engine light was blinking and it was rattling loud and the guy told me I was 2.5 quarts low after having it changed just a month before. 3 weeks later it started doing the same thing, so I took it back to have it topped off and I was 2 quarts low again. The guy told me there was issues with my year model and to get in touch with Honda. In doing my research, I've found the Oil Consumption Problems... but no recalls or fixes for 2010 models that are a 4 cyc. So whats next? I love my car, and I don't want to trade up --- so what are my options where Im not out of pocket? Are there even any?

- , Eden, NC, USA

Aug 042015

Accord EX 3.5L V6

Second time had an oil consumption problem with this car. This time it requires that the dealer tear the engine apart to repair 4 of the 6 rings, replace spark plugs and who knows what else. However dealer is handling this very well. Service adviser told me that this problem is know by Honda and have extended the warranty to 8 years and all repairs are covered as well as a loaner car.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

May 152014

Accord EXL 4 cyl

Taken car to dealership, all they want to do is tell you to keep oil in it and they are not sure why the car is making noise or burning oil. Each time the test is completed , I'm told the oil is burning normal. 1 quart for every 1000 miles. If this is true , why does my oil light come on at 80% from my sensor. They don't want to admit they have a problem. I need to add 2 quarts of 5w20 before I even reach 3000 miles.

- , Herndon, VA, USA

Jun 012014

Accord ES V4

EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION, OIL MUST BE ADDED ONCE A MONTH.

- , Lebanon, TN, USA

Sep 022014

Accord EXL 4 cyl

I have owned nothing but Hondas for 30 years and my 2010 Accord is the only one that has ever burned through oil. It goes through a quart every 1000-1,500 miles. I have had several consumption tests and the dealer says their is nothing they can do because the problem isn't severe enough. This is really making me rethink my brand loyalty!

- , Franklin, TN, USA

Feb 042015

Accord V6 3.5L V6

Bought 3 year old Honda Accord with 37,000 miles thinking I had a vehicle for the long run without issues. Less than 3,000 miles later the car goes in like safe mode and the check engine light turns on. I placed the computer and saw the piston 3 misfire. Did my research and saw all the madness regarding excessive oil consumption. In the dealer they changed the spark plugs, which were filled with oil, and did the magic "software update". The car continues to burn oil like there is no tomorrow. A quart per 1000 miles. I am extremely disappointed with Honda and the way they are treating people like idiots saying a software update will correct the poorly installed pistons and rings. They need to really fix this NOW.

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

Mar 142015

Accord LX 2.3L

The oil light came on when I used the brake. There were no oil leaks in my garage, so the obvious reason was that the engine was consuming oil. I reported that to Honda and they recommended a Oil consumption check .

I will update once I hear back the results.

- , Monmouth Junction, NJ, USA

Nov 062014

Accord LX 2.4L

I am taking care of this 2010 Accord 4 cylinder for my niece and it is using a lot of oil every 1000 miles. I found out by reading the claims on this issue with the 6 cylinders. I called the dealer and they said to bring it by the shop and they will do a check on the oil consumption every 1000 miles. This is time consuming and it is hard for people to take time away from their work to bring it by. I think Honda needs to make sure all of the issues with their cars are taken care of. We as Americans deserve the right to see them make it correct, because we pay a lot of money for the vehicles. If we do something wrong we have to pay for it.

- , Newnan, GA, USA

Dec 122013

Accord EX-L 3.2L

I bought my car new in March of 2010. I had been taking my car to get the oil changed on a regular basis to the Honda dealership. Last year I had my oil changed and my oil light came on before it was time for me to get my oil changed. I added oil thinking maybe they didn't put enough oil in. I went back again when it did the same thing and I told them to make sure that they were putting enough oil in because I'm having to add oil. Then it happened again.

So I didn't go back there, instead I took it to F & F tires and I told them the problem. They said that the Honda's tend to burn oil. My oil light is coming on again and it's under 3000 miles, and I had to add 2 quarts again. How can it be burning 2 quarts of oil in between oil changes? That's not normal! Now I'm pissed and freaking out! I'm still paying on that car, it has almost 75000 miles on it and I still have over a year left on payments and I can't afford to go get it fixed. Now what? It's getting worse!

- , Delavan, WI, USA

Jan 012013

Accord LX V6

My Honda Accord Coupe, V6, was consuming very large amounts of oil. The dealership (Manley Honda in Santa Rosa, CA) made me pay for an oil consumption test when all the while they knew that this was a common complaint and there was actually a class action lawsuit settlement regarding this problem. The dealership stated that 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles was normal oil consumption. Well, I didn't fall off of the turnip truck yesterday, I know that was outlandish.

Several months later, while driving in the desert, the engine light came on and the car began running very rough. So rough, that it was un-drivable. I paid out of my own pocket to have the car towed back to the dealership (187 miles) without reimbursement. Amazingly enough, this is a problem that is covered under a class action settlement agreement (Engine Misfire Settlement). By the way, this was the reason for the excessive oil consumption.

Honda replaced only 4 of the 6 rings, because they stated only 4 were damaged. How much sense does that make? They all work together. Anyway, since the major engine work was done, the car burns excessive amounts of gasoline. Again, denial from Honda.

- , Santa Rosa, CA, USA

May 012012

Accord EX-L V4

I bought my Honda used from a Honda dealership. About 2 years ago I started to notice it using a lot of oil. I have a service contract so I told the dealership on multiple occasions. They acted like they had never heard of this problem. I finally worked it out to bring my car back ever ~500 to have the oil monitored. (Got that? A quart of oil every 500 miles.) Each time they had to add a quart of oil.

After multiple checks they mentioned it could be a problem with motor, but they wanted to check it one more time. I brought it back as requested. It was after a holiday and their normal staffing was off. They add the oil, took my info, and told me someone would contact me the following week. Nothing. No phone call. So I called them. Was not able to talk to anyone in the service department, so I left a message. Nothing. No phone call. I called again and had to leave a message. Again, nothing. After three tries with no returned call, I went there the following Saturday for another check. I was again a quart low and they told me the service manager would call me on Monday. This time someone (not the service manager) called me and said "a quart of oil every 1,000 miles is within what the car will normally use." We went from 'yes, we think there is a problem' to 'oops, no one recorded the last time you came in, so everything looks fine.'

I understand Honda has acknowledged there is a problem, but this only includes V6. Not sure what to do from here. I'm getting the run around at the dealership.

- , Fairmont, WV, USA

Sep 022012

Accord LX 4 cyl

I've had this issue since the car was about 2 years old, but didn't realize I was losing oil because I change my oil frequently. The first time I realized it was an oil issue was when the noise on cold start up drew my attention - and after checking, realized OIL loss was an issue.

Since the cold-running engine noise sounded bad, I checked the oil - and sure enough, after about 2000 miles, no oil shows on the dipstick.

I've owned 2-3 Honda's at a time since the 80s and never experienced an issue like this. I've Got Civic Si's for my kids, Odyssey for my wife and Accord for me.

Honda - I consider myself a Honda-guy (much like my Dad was a Pontiac-Guy) keep this up, and you'll lose a dedicated customer.

Update from Apr 16, 2015: The Honda Dealer (Schlossman's Honda in Wisconsin) keeps adding oil. I stop in every 1000 miles or so, and they add oil.

Wow - what a great fix Honda.

I met with the salesman that sold me this (and 5 other new cars in past) and told him that he'd be losing a Honda customer. He wasn't happy. He offered to take in as trade-in, but couldn't tell me how the new one would be any more reliable.

At this point, I'm shopping for another car.

- , Franklin, WI, USA

Jul 012014

Accord LX 4 cyl

Bought my car about 4 months ago from a private owner. Only 46,000 miles. 2 months later the engine begins rattling on cold start-up. It got significantly worse, very quickly. I took it in and it was completely empty on oil. The rattling went away for one day and came back the next morning on cold start-up. Kept checking fluids and the oil was gone again a month later. We thought maybe the rod and main bearings got damaged so we checked those as well, they were perfect. Gave another full synthetic oil change with Lucas Additive and now here we are a month later, only about 1,000 miles down, and it's COMPLETELY EMPTY AGAIN! So.....I have no idea whats going on with it.

I see that others are experiencing the same problem, can anyone help? Does anyone know anything?

- , Coarsegold, CA, USA

Sep 212014

Accord EX 2.4L 4-cyl

Last week, my car started making this weird grinding (not sure if that's right) noise. I got on google and started doing with my car what moms do with their first born kids. Of course, everything I found was "blah blah is wrong, 100% certain of it, $2000 repair cost". A week later a few panic attacks later (because what full-time student has that kind of money), I saw my oil light (not maintenance minder, but the actual oil can light) come on for about 30 seconds. I figured I'd go get my scheduled oil change. No more noise. The oil was low. I was a couple hundred miles late but my oil should not have been low. I ended up posting the issue on Facebook, asking for insight from friends that may know what the issue is. That's when the comments started rolling in about the lawsuit, problem, potential consequences of it not being fixed. My car is a 4-cylinder (not covered by the settlement), but having the same exact issue. That's just a coincidence?

My guess is that the majority of the plaintiffs owned the 6-cylinder and they settled for the "good of the majority" instead of chancing a loss. But what about the rest of us that are stuck with crap cars? Honda knows that by including 4-cylinder models in the settlement, the extended warranty would have to cover an unknown, but possibly significant, number of vehicles that haven't started having trouble yet. Maybe it just takes longer for the effects to manifest in the 2.4L engine. I am extremely upset at the idea that this is even a possible explanation for what has been happening to my car. If it becomes a more severe problem and Honda does not rectify it, they will go out of business.

~ TB

- , Salem, VA, USA

Feb 042014

Accord EX 2.4L V4

It has been determined thorugh official Honda oil consumption test that my car is burning in excess of 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles. Although Honda coorporate had agreed this is an issue they are saying "even though this is a known issue with the 2008 - 2012 Honda Accords they are unwilling to pay for repairs due to the fact the car is outside it Warranty ( and at the time of the issue only exceeded it by 6000) miles. In reviewing the claim action suit it appears that only V6 engines are covered, when the issue is effecting both V6 and V4 engines. Can you explain to my why this is and are there any more venues to resolution before I take this to the local news and ask that they report into this. I live in Raleigh, NC and it is obvious the Honda Accord is a VERY popular car in this area and I sure the news would love to check into this expose Crowne Honda of SouthPoint, one of the largest Honda dealers in the area.

Thank you.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Aug 012010

Accord 4DR 3.5L

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

Very disappointed. This is not the Honda Motor Co I have known for many years. Verrry high oil consumption, caused other issues to be in separate complaint. For some reason unknown the oil consumption is now almost acceptable using full synthetic but the damage has been done to all OEM plugs. I now carry a spare set of plugs and required tools. Also now carry a scanner to read the codes. Mine is P0303. Fouled plug.

Update from Aug 30, 2014: I have a plan now to get the expected 200k miles from this vehicle. If someone comes up with any improvement to the plan,please advise.

1. Do not take to Honda dealer unless a personal friend. ( they would not tell you the full extent of the problem)

1. Immediately switch to full synthetic ( Castrol 5-20 others may work but i know this oil does) for reduced oil consumption. During same service, replace ALL six plugs. I could only find them at O'Reilly, NGK 7751 Iridium @ $15ea.

3. Every other oil change , replace the three rear plugs. I have a pic to share showing drastic difference in oil fouling from rear 3 plugs to front 3 plugs. Every 4th oil change replace all plugs. Do not torque plugs down excessive as you will be changing plugs frequently. This could be a hint on the design issue, I don't know. Maybe oil is pooling in the rear head and not front, leaking into valve seals?. The synthetic oil probably drains down to crankcase easier from it's flow characteristic. I'm guessing.

So thats it. I changed my own plugs and cleared the P0303 code. Best Regards vonStuka

Update from Aug 30, 2014: Mileage correction for this vehicle complaint. The correct mileage is 52,200 miles. The rough idle started around 5k miles ago. I do not get to drive this one unless there is a problem. Its my wife car and I was looking at the trip meter adding a zero. Correct mileage today is 52,200.

The oil consumption issue I'm afraid has been in place since driving off the dealer's lot. Regards vonStuka

- , Spring, TX, USA

Jun 092014

Accord LX 4 cyl

I was told that because I had a 4 cylinder that this wasn't the same problem as the 6 cylinder issue but that they wanted me to come in every 1000 miles to verify that this is the same excessive oil consumption problem the 6 cyl are having. So I guess it is now up to me to do my part and I will update results as I go along.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jul 012013

Accord LX 2.4L

I took my Accord in for the 4th time since August 2013. I'm currently set up for an oil consumption test. I lost 1.75 quarts of oil since my last oil change and was told that is less than 1 quart per 1,000 miles. On the next consumption test, I was down almost 3 quarts and even though I was above the Honda standard, the car was no longer under warranty and the repair would not be covered.

Service rep. maintained Honda is that 1 quart per 1,000 miles is normal. I bought a Honda because of its reputation of being dependable. I no longer feel I am driving a dependable car if I'm having to pull over on the highway to have to top of the oil in a 2010 model year car.

- , Lanoka Harbor, NJ, USA

Oct 202010

Accord LX-P 4 cyl

I normally change my oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles, even though Honda states 7500miles. I was on the road took my car in for an oil change at Wal-Mart. They advised me there was no oil showing on the dipstick. I had to sign a paper relieving them of any responsibility in the event the engine failed. We called our local Honda Dealer when we got back in town. They did an oil consumption test In fact they did several oil consumption tests and it was always within the National Transportation standards. A quart of oil every 1000 miles has been the norm for this car. This was my third Honda Accord so I knew this was not normal. I am very disappointed that Honda knew they had a problem. I was at Honda dealer today to pick up my 2013 Accord. The service manager was still denying that a quart of oil every 1000 miles is excessive.

- , Burlington, KY, USA