CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Honda Accord has a solid reputation (so far), with one very significant flaw: uncomfortable seats.

Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight.

The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.4

2. Honda replacing engine (9 reports)
  3. pistons and rings replaced (7 reports)
  4. replace engine or take car back (7 reports)
  5. rebuilt engine (1 reports)
  6. replace ignition coil (1 reports)
2010 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Honda Accord:

2010 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jan 272016

Accord LX 4 cyl

Car is burning almost 2 quarts of oil between 3k changes

- , Orchard Park, NY, USA

Oct 012015

Accord EX-L V6

Unless we can get this problem fixed we are going to have to sell this car. We would love to keep it but at this rate with how much oil it burns and how often we have to get new spark plugs it is getting to be very expensive. My husband and I have driven nothing but Hondas since we were teenagers and have never had any issues until now. But it is very alarming that Honda has not felt the need to fix this problem. In order to stick with Honda we are having to go out of our price range in hopes to get a car without this issue.

- , Hickory, NC, USA

Oct 082016

Accord V6

I have a 2010 Honda Accord V6 that according to the final settlement language "Any and all Honda Accords from 2010 with the VCM engine" I went to a Honda dealership to fix the problem but they are saying that they cant help me because the settlement is VIN specific. I read the court decree and see nothing that leads me to think that. I called American Honda and two different people they keep telling me its VIN specific and they cant help me in addition to the Oil consumption I am having the misfire problem and they say it will cost me $120 to update the software on a known problem by them. After all this my Catalytic convertor is messed up now and needs to be fixed. Talking to mechanics and doing online research they say that the oil leaking could be the problem of the convertor going out another issue. This is my third Honda Accord I have been driving them since 1988. that has high oil consumption( Put Synthetic oil Sept 20 and when I took it tit mechanic Oct 20 for misfire problem he said there was no oil. I replaced the Engine coil and Spark Plugs a year ago and now at about 50,000 miles later I ma having same problem.

- , Sugar Land, TX, USA

Accord EX-L 6

Like others, a number quarts added between oil change

- , Hurricane, WV, USA

Jan 012016

Accord EXL V4

I didn't think much of the issue when it first started because It was close to when I needed my oil changed. Over the course of 4 months I would need to add a quart of oil just to get through to the next change. In April 2016 I received a letter from Honda saying if my car had 120k miles or less they would consider fixing. I at that point had 145k miles and they would barely speak to me. This issue continued where at 60% oil life I would need to add a quart to get through. At 80% (165k miles)I had no oil left - the car burned everything! I am driving flat highways where speed is considerably the same the whole time - we are not talking the mountains of VT where the car is working in overtime.

The service manager is telling me I should consider a new car at this point.

- , Allentown, NJ, USA

Jul 112016

Accord EXL V6

honda isnt covering my car under lawsuit. however my car is also burning oil and fits the model for the lawsuit

- , East Orange, NJ, USA

Jul 042016

Accord EXL V6

Purchased a 2010 Honda Accord EXL in June 2010. I hardly drove the car the first 4 years. It now has 42,000 miles on it. In June 2010, with no prior warning, the car lost power. I hobbled to a place to pull over and had the car towed. The repair shop said I needed to replace the ignition coil. That repair cost $605. Labor being the bulk of the cost. Subsequently I learned that it was caused by low oil pressure. It was running fine up to that point. I am a second generation Honda Owner. I bought Honda's for my three children. Each one had a Honda. NEVER AGAIN. I've had more trouble out of the 2010 than I have with ALL my other Honda's. Honda just lost a loyal (used to be) customer.

- , Millington, TN, USA

Jun 262013

Accord LX 2.4L

I was by the Dealer 2 times to change the oil themselves to see how much I am losing and what they do is put more oil than normal like 5 quarts or so you have enough oil for the next 3000 mile. But they don't fix the problem even though I have the paper which stated the piston ring should be replaced or checked. What happens when I do not change the oil every 3000 mile because I put a better oil in to it and it's good for 15000 miles??

- , Elmwood Park, IL, USA

Sep 012015

Accord LX 2.4L 4 cyl

I have had excessive oil consumption issue on my Honda for a year+ now. I assumed it was the usage that was leading it to it. However, lately even with less number of mileage being put on car, I am getting low oil frequently. I have poured significant money in oil changes and adding oil in between on my own. After doing research it seems like its a problem. I intend to call warranty line, but if anyone else has any suggestion on what steps I should take, it would be greatly appreciated.

- , Hatfield, PA, USA

Jul 282016

Accord EXL V6

This was a TSB that addressed while at the dealer. Took my car to a non-dealer repair shop that informed me of the TSB. I had the pressure switches and O-ring replaced but car is still burning through oil. I am taking car back to dealer to see if any new codes show on the computer since I am almost out of oil after 10 days since my last oil change. Was told that if the codes do not indicate a problem, there is nothing they can do to fix the problem?!

- , Novi, MI, USA

Jun 012015

Accord EX-L V6

My 2010 Honda accord has been burning excessive oil for years. When the engine reported over 20 codes I took it to the dealer ant they told me about the silent recall. They updated the software and replaced the plugs. However, the oil consumption continued. They made me do 3 oil consumption tests and told me that it does burn too much oil. Now they refuse to help me with a fix. I am adding a quart a week.

I feel this defect caused excessive engine wear.

- , Needham, MA, USA

Accord LX 2.4L 4-cyl

The oil need to be changed constantly. It costs money every time.

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 162016

Accord ES 4

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

My car is consuming oil, my check engine light came on Saturday, July 16th. I take it to Autozone and they give me the code:

P2651 2010 HONDA ACCORD - Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch B Circuit Low Voltage

I researched it and find out that it is a known and ongoing issue with the 2010 accord. I remember getting the recall letter and took it in. The sound during start up is annoying and sometimes it does it while driving locally.

I want Honda to fix this issue, I am trying to find out if I fall under the extended warranty that was listed on the lawsuit page.

Any help or suggestions from others would definitely be appreciated.

Update from Jul 20, 2016: Called Honda and my vehicle falls under the extended warrant - will schedule the appointment to hopefully get this repaired

- , Suitland, MD, USA

Apr 042016

Accord EX-L 6

First discovered when engine light came on, code triggered for excessive oil consumption (late March/early April 2016. Took over 2 Qts of oil, engine light went off. Had oil changed (4/4/16), since have added a qt to get oil to bottom of stick.

- , Hurricane, WV, USA

Accord

We changed our oil in April. In May before 3K miles, the dip stick was dry. Added 2 qts of oil. 3-4 wks later, dipstick low; added another 1 1/3 qt of oil. Took to get a diagnostic and nothing was found to be wrong, no oil accumulating anywhere. Never any oil drips, or smells. No light indicators. Called Honda, and our car is not on the list for extended warranty. Instructed to get an oil consumption test in order to qualify for extended warranty. In the process of the oil consumption test which requires oil change at Honda dealership and then every 1,000 miles will go in and get pressures/oil levels checked. Will see where this process takes us.

- , Fulshear, TX, USA

Mar 072016

Accord EX L V6

In July of 2015 I purchased a 2010 Honda accord v6 ex l with 32,000 miles on it from dealership. No problems with the car until I hit 55,000 miles. At that time it threw the engine code for spark plug #3, took it to local mechanic and he replaced it. Approx 1 month later..it throws another engine code for a different spark plug...I take it back to local mechanic and he changes the hole set of fouled, black, sooty spark plugs!

After adding several quarts of oil to the engine ...which was nearly empty!

So now I google Honda and it shows a class action suite for oil consumption with this 2010 engine....I take it into the dealer....they state it needs a PCM update...that of which they do....that's the first trip. It's throw another engine check light. Take it back in to Honda. They state because the code was cleared on the first trip the PCM was not effective.... So they need to do another PCM update and change the fouled spark plugged that triggered the code only. Even though the rest of the spark plugs are blacken and sooty. So now we have two updates 1 sets of spark plugs, plus the one Honda changed... The first update I burned a lot more oil and had to add every other day.... The second update now it burns gas! And the oil is now smelling like gasoline.... They said don't bring it back in till you throw a code....well with oil so thin and gas smell in the oil....I got a problem! They said nothing about the oil consumption on the 2nd trip....I also had to ask them to check the oil before I left the dealership....and add more before I drove off... The fix is to replace the bad o rings and valves...I called the Honda class action suite administrators to find out cylinders are 1 thru 4. Per the class action suite... They will only replace the one that the code throws......this engine is going to be shot here very soon with no lubrication from to thin oil and heavy gas. Have not even had this car a year.....they don't care about how bad the fix is...and worse then the actual problem... I had 6 previous Honda accords ....this is the worse experience. Poor customer service.....

- , Midland, MI, USA

Mar 012014

Accord V6

I purchased my car in 2014 and have had oil consumption issues since my date of purchase. I have had several cars over the past 20 years and have never had oil burn as does in this Honda Accord 2010. I was very happy to receive a letter from Honda stating there may be an issue and to begin the oil consumption testing at my local dealership. I would go and have my oil checked by the service department only to be told that they had to “put a little in” to “it’s only down a quart.”

Most recently, I went to have my oil checked and was told I’m down a quart. One week later, I had an appointment to have new tires put on this car and an oil change. I purposely did not add any oil so THEY can check it (neither did the service department at Curtis Ryan Honda where this testing had been done). When I asked the service station (Reliable Service Center) to let me know how much oil it was down, the owner stated that there was only oil in the filter! He said that my car is burning oil. This was one week after Curtis Ryan Honda did the oil consumption check. I am now learning that there are many complaints regarding this issue via CAS, NHTSA and CarComplaints.com.

I don’t know who owned the car before me. The car was purchased at Curtis Ryan Honda and I asked the salesman, twice, for the Car Fax Report. Conveniently, he went to print it and got sidetracked and I never saw it. I am wondering if the car was a lease and the person who owned it never had the oil changed or checked? Irregardless, the car is burning oil and I have only had the car two years and owe three more years on it. This is unacceptable to have this issue. Please let me know how Honda can help with this issue.

- , Ansonia, CT, USA

Jul 312015

Accord 2.4L Line 4

I bought Honda Accord Used August 2014 As Is and have religiously changed oil every 3,000 miles, have changed spark plugs twice. I took the vehicle to Honda Dealership for high oil consumption test and was told to bring back vehicle after 1,000 miles. I took vehicle back and was told everything checked out good. I then changed oil the following day and a week later checked oil and found dip stick indicated oil below minimum. Please Help!!!

- , Lafayette, IN, USA

Jan 012016

Accord EX 4

My engine light came on and I took it to my mechanic (who used to work at a Honda dealership) who told me that my car was low on oil. He checked for leaks and there were none. He said he heard about Accord oil consumption issues and to take my car to the dealer for a "oil consumption test". I thought for sure it would be no issue because it was DEFINITELY using oil. So the dealer told me that it was down between 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart after 1,000 miles and that according to Honda that was acceptable!! I had a '95 Accord and it never used oil and I put over 200,000 miles on it! To say that a QUART of oil every 1000 miles is preposterous!! I'm sending a letter to the President of Honda America and to my state Attorney General.

- , Redmond, WA, USA