CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Honda Accord has a solid reputation (so far), with one very significant flaw: uncomfortable seats.

Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight.

The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

9.1

2. the seats need to be replaced!!!!! (29 reports)
  3. offer replacements for poorly designed headrests (all seats) (3 reports)
  4. traded the car in (3 reports)
  5. purchase an aftermarket backrest (1 reports)
  6. replace with a 2005 headrest (1 reports)
2011 Honda Accord accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Honda Accord:

2011 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Mar 302011

Accord

drivers seat has become more and more uncomfortable,I am constantly adjusting it to no avail.I thought it was just me,but my wife has problems as well.I am on the verge of selling,but would really like to stay with Honda.

- , Temple, TX, USA

May 072013

Accord LX 4 cyl

The seats in my Accord are terrible. They cause me a lot of pain in my back and legs. Cannot take car on long trip. Honda should really be ashamed of the seats. I have owned numerous Honda cars of all types, I may never own another Honda after this issue. Really my car is useless to me.

- , Boone, NC, USA

Nov 102013

Accord EXL V6

I'm another victim of Honda's horrible front seats. The lumbar feels like a stick in my back. I can't even use it. The seat bottom digs into my leg and causes it to go numb. I've spent over 200$ at an upholstery shop trying to rebuild the cushions but it hasn't helped much .

I am so mad at Honda and so mad at myself for buying what I thought was going to be a great car. I wish I had my Acura back, it had great seats

- , seattle, Washington, USA

Feb 012011

Accord SE 2.4L

Poorly designed seats. Very uncomfortable. Ok for short drives, but forget about trips.

- , Franksville, Wisconsin, USA

Aug 222011

Accord LX

I have a 2011 accord and the seats are extraordinarily uncomfortable (causing neck and back pain) Tried to trade it in today but all they wanted to give me was 13,000 and my miles on the car is just 27,000 haven't got it paid off yet.I think the right thing to do is for Honda to replace driver seat and pay us back for chiropractor's and medical fee's

- , Kingwood, TX, USA

Apr 112013

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

Having managed to survive searing firefights in Iraq, merciless dysentery, a grenade blast that tore part of my knee cap off....you get the idea....the WORST pain I have ever experienced is the persistent lower back pain I received from driving this car ONE SINGLE TIME for about an hour. The "lumbar support" in this seat seems to have driven my entire body into a vortex of hell so excruciating my command of the English language is insufficient to describe. How is this even possible? I want to insure those reading this post that my description is accurate. I am astounded that the human body can react this way merely from sitting in an awkward position. For those of us who bought this car, do not be ashamed of yourself if you, like myself, have knelt bedside and prayed that a comet bursts forth from the sky and eradicates this menace in a flash of white hot violent justice.

WHOM EVER DESIGNED THIS CAR SEAT......MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 042011

Accord ES 4.0L

The drivers seat causes unbearable pain. Pushes neck forward, causes terrible back pain, causes numbness in legs. I cannot get comfortable no matter what I do. I would sell that car in a second if I could afford to take the financial loss. I feel honda should replace seats or make some kind of financial compensation. I will never buy another honda and will tell everyone not to buy honda. Everyday 35 min. commute is painful and longer trips are not even an option. I am angry that honda would sell unsuspecting consumers a product that will severely affect their health and comfort.

- , Dublin, PA, USA

May 272011

Accord EX-L 4

The front seats in our 2011 Honda Accord are terrible. I called 1-800-999-1009 and the cheery girl said they haven't received other negative comments but would pass the word on to her superiors. HA! Neither my wife nor I want to drive this car because of the poor seating. It looks like we, along with hundreds of others, will take a beating in trading for something else that we can drive.

Certainly, with the number of people griping about it on the web, Honda has some responsibility in making corrections. Even if there was a $1,000 aftermarket seat, I'd take it because we can't take this discomfort.

- , Warroad, MN, USA

Aug 102012

Accord LX

The lumbar support in the driver's seat is beyond uncomfortable. Took car into the dealership and was offered no help. Was told this was standard and only the EX models have the lumbar adjustment.

- , Maineville, OH, USA

Aug 152012

Accord LX 2.4L

The front seats in the 2011 Honda Accord need to be recalled and replaced. It has caused me (and thousands of others online) to have severe back pain. The lower lumbar support sticks out way to far and causes uneven support to your lower and upper back. I have never had back issues, but after driving this car for a week, I am in serious pain. So what are my options? Go buy expensive aftermarket pillows that don't work? Trade the car back in and lose thousands and thousands of dollars? Or maybe I should just live with the pain and absorb the cost of a chiropractor? Normally I wouldn't complain, but this is a serious issue. Just look it up online. This seriously needs to be fixed ASAP or Honda could get sued. There is enough info out there and upset customers to cause Honda a huge legal nightmare.

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Feb 162012

Accord EX

bought the 2011 accord summer of 2011 didn't do much traveling till spring 2012. seats are unbearable, especially passenger seat. large hump in middle of back. too it to honda dealership where purchased & was told nothing is wrong. its the design of the seat, told me to use a pillow for a different sitting position. A PILLOW IN A 28000 CAR??? never buy a honda again!!!

- , Deatsville, AL, USA

May 062012

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

Purchased this car with 13000 miles on it. During the test drive I did noticed the drivers seat felt a little different than what I used to. My wife and I discussed this, but we liked the car so we drove it again and decided that we could get use to the seats, a big mistake. After owning it for a week and driving it 320 miles we have both decided that it would be better to take the Harley on any long trips and leave the car at home. The seats are that uncomfortable. I normally keep a car for seven or eight years. This one isn't going to make it a month if we can't find a fix. Hopefully anyone contemplating the purchase of this model vehicle will find this site before the purchase.

- , Merritt Island, FL, USA

Feb 282012

Accord LX 2.4L

Front seats are so uncomfortable I can hardly stand to drive it.

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Apr 012011

Accord LX Sedan 2.4L

The Driver’s Seat in my 2011 Accord LX is terrible. Like so many other posters on this site, I just thought the seat was mildly hard on my test drive and after break-in the car would be fine. I have a base model Accord, so I don’t expect perfection, but I do expect not to be in pain every time I drive this car more than 15 minutes. I am 6 foot 3” and 250lbs so that may have a little to do with it, but the stabbing pain in my lower back is awful. I think the issue is poor seat quality and the angle of seat. On the LX, there is no adjustment for seat angle. I have contacted Honda Customer service to advised them that I love the car but hate the front seat. They gave me a case number and told me contact the dealer. The dealer in going to look at it to see if the seat is defective. Somehow, I think all of the seats are defective in these cars and the dealer will tell me the car is just fine. We shall see. Like others have said… when people ask me.. “How do you like your Honda?” I tell them “I hate it. This car is the most uncomfortable turd I have ever driven and it was the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life”. I had a 2006 Ridgeline and it was decently comfortable. I traded it in for fuel economy of the Accord as I drive a lot for business. The Accord is a fine car if you can get past the agony of driving it. I call it the IRON MAIDEN.

I will update with future findings. If they can do nothing, I will start with modifications. I have already tried removing the plastic lumbar, stuffing memory foam padding in front of the lumber, various seat cushions, pillows. Hell… I even loaded the inside of the seat down with pillow stuffing and still the thing is terrible. I suspect in my case, it’s an uncomfortable seat with a poor angle. After the warranty expires, I may experiment with lifting the back of seat with washers where the seat bolts in. Like the rest of yo, I am upside down about 7500+, so trading it in would be stupid, but I may do it any way. The newer Buicks really might do the trick for me. Every day I drive this torture device, I dream about trading it in on anything. But I think I am stuck with this Japanese torture instrument for a long time so any advice on seat modifications would be greatly appreciated. Honda has a real problem here. Please call Honda and get a case going… 800-999-1009 – They will never address this unless people say something. I waited almost a year but now I am ready to raise to hell. At least, other people can be aware so they don’t make the same mistake I did.

- , Star, ID, USA

Sep 012011

Accord EXL 4 Cyl

Purchased 2011 Honda Accord as a Demo in late August and had no complaints upon test drive. Upon daily usage I noticed that my back and legs were uncomfortable after short drives; worse on longer drives. I had attempted adjusting the seats /lumbar but had no improvement. The headrest also pushes so far forward that I had to raise it to the highest setting so I am not using it at all. About 3 months ago I began to have shooting pain constantly down my left side and leg. This caused me to have to consult a chiropracter and have been diagnosed with sciatica. She advised me that I have a disc that has been shifted and aggrivating the nerve. Others who have had these complaints have been told by the dealership that the design of the seats is the government's safety requirements. I have recently switched vehicles with my husband and I think I am seeing some improvement in the pain. I would like to think that we can keep this vehicle but short of removing the front seats & replacing them completely. Honda's reputation for longevity was our reason we made this purchase...just not so sure I can live thru this car. Very disappointing.

- , Roanoke, VA, canada

Dec 222011

Accord 2DR EX 2.5L

I bought this car to take over daily driving duties from a 96 Accord back in October of 2010. Like many others have previously posted, the test drive didn't reveal the problems with the seat. Once I started making my daily commute in the car however, the back and leg problems began to appear. I tried making all of the adjustments to find a comfortable seating position, but with this seat there is no comfortable seating position. Luckily I didn't trade in my old Accord. So I gave up on driving this new car and have been driving my old Accord problem free.

I have written to Honda Customer Service several times about the unbearable seats. They have called to say that they are sorry that I am disappointed with the car and that they will pass on my comments for consideration in the future. They do not seem to care that the car is of no value because I cannot drive it without pain.

After 14 months of ownership with no hint of a resolution coming from Honda, I have decided I will be selling this car. My loyalty to Honda and the hope that they would stand behind their product was the reason I have kept this car for so long. After this debacle I will never buy another Honda again.

- , Allison Park, PA, USA

May 272011

Accord EX-L V6

I have owned 12 Hondas. Am a H man through and through. Then I get this Accord with leather seats and I'm seeing a chiropractor twice a week. After my 20 min commute I literally am in so much pain I have to roll out of the car and hobble to my office. I have swapped cars with my wife (2009 Subaru Outback) to test if it's truly the Accord seats and it was confirmed. The issue is that the bucket part of the seat is too low into the frame and your lower spine is placed into a very awkward curve. This is just a very poor design. I am 6"2 250 lbs. I'll be trading this car in asap. I'll probably buy a non-Honda SUV for this reason.

- , Greenfield, WI, USA

Apr 012011

Accord LE 4 cyl

this is my third and LAST Honda. They changed the supplier of the leather and for sure they have changed the design of the seats, so uncomfortable, poorly designed, the leather is so cheap looking my kids call it pleather,ugly, stiff. the car runs well but i will be trading before 10 months is up and six thousand miles. shame on you Honda. I will never recommend your cars again. I think I shall go back to American.

- , Raynham, MA, USA

Dec 122011

Accord SE 2.5L

Bought this car used with 1900 miles on it, it's a nice car, so couldn't understand why someone would trade it with less than 2000 miles on it! Now I know! Driving it less than 20 miles and my back hurts, can't get comfortable in the seat, feels like the lumbar (which is turned OFF) is too high on my back and the pressure is causing pain. Tried to return to the dealer, but NO way they are taking it back. So one week later, I am waiting for a VW Passat to hit the lot so I can trade this car and lose my butt. The sad thing is I have had So many people that Honda is the best, but I have never owned one. This is my FIRST Honda AND my LAST Honda!! It drives great if you didn't have to sit in it.

- , Ooltewah, TN, USA

Nov 302010

Accord EX 2.4L

The front seats of the 2011 Honda Accord are very uncomfortable. We previously owned or leased two 2006 Accords, a 2008 Accord and a 2009 Accord. We experienced no problem with the seats in the previous models. The problem became so significant in the case of the 2011 Accord that one of us required medical attention to resolve severe backache. Although the Accord EX is equipped with power seats and lumbar adjustment, no suitable position could be found to alleviate back pain for both my wife or myself. We purchased a 2011 Honda Civic as a second vehicle and found that the seats were much more comfortable than those in the 2011 Accord. We returned to our Honda dealer and complained vehemently about the seats in the 2011 Accord. Our repeat customer status, and our assertive complaint resulted in obtaining a suitable trade in arrangement on a 2012 Honda Civic. We have driven the 2011 Civic for 3000 miles and the 2012 Civic for 1000 miles and we do not feel the discomfort that we experienced in the 2011 Accord. At no point in our discussion with the dealer did we note any admission that the complaint was one that they heard before.

- , Land O Lakes, FL, USA