Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 11 of 14)

Jun 192013

Altima 6-cyl

During my ri state inspection today, I was notified that my driver side floor board was completed rotted through. My car will not pass inspection without fixing that. The car is only 8 years old so having that much rot is very unusual. Will Nissan repair this damage or reimburse me for the cost of repair?

- Barrington, RI, USA

Jun 172013

Altima 4-cyl

Both the drivers side and passenger side floor pans have rotted through.

- Cedar Grove, NJ, USA

May 302013

Altima 4-cyl

Floorboards on Nissan completely rusted from outside in. Carpeting inside of car still looks like new. Numerous complaints on vehicles of this year, but Nissan consumer complaints will not cover cost of repair. Purchased the car new in May 2006 - was 2005 model. Summer 2009 put a bike hitch on car and muffler bolts were rusted but underside of car still looked great. Muffler still on the car, but floorboards completely rusted through. Almost $2000 to repair. Car was never in accident, never in flood and always cleaned and maintained. I found a piece, almost a sheet of rust on the floor of my garage. Undercoating on the piece was still there, but rust couldn't hold it together any longer. When pointed out what this actually was shocked. Feet on the pavement when driving was the next step. See video

- Mundelein, IL, USA

May 012013

Altima 4-cyl

I have a 2005 Altima with 49500 miles. When I recently got new tires, it was discovered that the front passenger seat floorboard was completely rusted. This is a safety issue, whether its fumes getting into the car or debris from the floorboard falling in the road. I contacted Nissan national and they sent me to a Nissan dealership to get an estimate and have it sent to Nissan national. Nissan national said my issue would go to Nissan consumer review, who decided the floorboard rusting out was environmental. Are car owners in wintry states forewarned that if they have a Nissan the floorboards might rust out? my car is clean with no other rust.

- Clinton, MA, USA

May 022013

Altima 4-cyl

Noticed floor pan on passenger side of my 2005 Altima has rusted out. The hole is clean through to the inside of car. Approximate 8" hole.

- Cynthiana, KY, USA

May 022013

Altima 6-cyl

Brought my vehicle in for state inspection to local Nissan dealership and was told the floor boards were too soft to pass inspection. Inspected the vehicle more closely myself and noticed the floor boards had been rotting. The vehicle only has 85K on it. Heard this is a major problems with a lot of Nissan Altima and felt I should report this since Nissan has done little or nothing to fix the problem which is a major safety hazard since I'm not one of the flintstones.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Jan 102013

Altima 4-cyl

The wheel well liner on the front passenger side came loose and after flapping against the tire, road, and engine compartment; became totally disconnected and fell onto a county highway. It was replaced by a Nissan dealership's mechanics, and three months later the same thing happened on a city street!

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Mar 282013

Altima 4-cyl

Owner of 2005 Nissan Altima. Two weeks ago mechanic had up on rack for oil change. Brought to my attention significant rusting of both driver and passenger side floor pans. I called Nissan and filed a claim, but vehicle is out of warranty. While they were sorry to hear I was having this problem, they would not help me. The Nissan representative I talked to said he had never heard of this problem before. I don't believe that due to the number of posts on nhtsb website and other blogs. It is a design flaw that leads to a safety issue. I think Nissan should stand behind this repair.

- Swisher, IA, USA

Oct 152012

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the driver's side floorboard would become wet whenever it would rain. The contact ran water down the windshield and opened the hood to see if water was entering through the dashboard area, but to no avail. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage 134,000.

- Dripping Springs , TX, USA

Apr 012013

I have Nissan Altima 2005. I took my car to get inspected and it failed due to rust and rotting under the car. Nissan, does not repair this. In doing research I have found numerous of individuals online with the same problem with models from 02 - 06. All of Japanese cars will have this problem. I had my car from 05 brand new, I'm the only owner with no accidents. I think Nissan should do a recall on all cars with this problem and fix it. They charge you all this money for cars, they know soon will have this problem, because they don't protect the car with the under coating. Shame, shame, shame on Nissan!!!

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Mar 232013

Went to get my first inspection after purchasing the car and it failed and I could not get sticker. It failed because I have large rust holes on both the drivers and passengers side floor pans. On the driver side, the carpet is exposed to the underside of the vehicle which presents a safety risk as my foot could go through it while driving.

- Chalfont, PA, USA

Feb 282013

Vehicle was in for repair at local automotive repair shop for crankshaft position sensor replacement. During repair, mechanic had vehicle up on lift and noted severe rust to the floorboard area of both driver and passenger side. Rust damage is so severe it is rusted all the way completely through. Upon my personal investigation via the internet, I found numerous complaints from other individuals noting the same severe rust damage to the same location (floorboard) of their Nissan Altima as well. It is my opinion that this is a safety issue and should be addressed immediately by Nissan.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Mar 142013

I just discovered that the floor boards of both passenger and driver side in the bottom is fully rusted. It seems after looking on line that I am not the only owner of the 2005 Altima with the same issue in which could lead to a safety problem with the structural integrity of the vehicle.

- Ashland, MA, USA

Jul 242012

I had discovered the floor on the passenger side of my Altima rusting through from the inside. When originally purchased new the auto was discover to have a water leak soaking the carpeting on the drivers side and the passenger side of the car. Nissan (dealer) had indicated that they found the source of the leak but evidently had not with the floor rusting through from the inside of the vehicle as stated. It seems after looking on line that I am not the only owner of the 2005 Altima with the same issue in which could lead to a safety problem with the structural integrity of the vehicle.

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

Nov 262012

My 2005 Nissan Altima floor board is badly rusted. I cannot pass the state inspection and it will cost me so much money to fix my car just to pass the inspection. I did some research on line and I see that most 2005 model has this issue. I feel that the dealer needs to do a recall and fix this problem immediately. I will most definitely not recommend this make and model to anyone else.

- Londonderry, NH, USA

Aug 102012

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that after exiting the vehicle, she noticed that her pants had become wet. After inspecting the vehicle she noticed that there were holes in the frame under the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the frame was corroded. The corrosion was so severe that the vehicle was deemed as unsafe to drive. The dealer was notified but offered no assistance. The manufacturer was notified and advised that the corrosion failure was to be expected because she resided in the new england area. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 64,000.

- Braintree, MA, USA

Oct 312012

Altima 4-cyl

Severe rusting on driver and passenger floorboards that is resulting in weakened frame and structure. Need help getting Nissan to fix this know issue with this make and model. Thank you.

- Caledonia, MI, USA

Sep 042012

Altima 6-cyl

I took my vehicle for an oil change and the technician showed me that my floor boards under my driver and passenger side seats were rusted out and forming holes into the cabin of my car. He was able to poke all the way through and push up my carpet on my driver side floor. I was issued a factory recall around 2008 from Nissan about living in a road salted state (NJ) and the undercarriage needed to be replace. I brought my car in for the recall in Nov 2009. It seems they did not replace all the affected areas. I contacted Nissan today via their 1-800 # and was told there was no longer a warranty or recall out for my vehicle concerning this issue. I drive the Nissan as my main transportation for my children and I can not afford to fix this issue out of my own pocket. It is unsafe and unexpected from a 7 year old car purchase brand new.

- Waretown, NJ, USA

Sep 242012

Altima 4-cyl

Fully rusted driver and passenger floor boards. Can see interior rug underneath vehicle. Have done a lot of research and this appears to be a known issue with Nissan from 2002 and 2005 related to cars in salt states. Have seen many comments that defective steel was used. We have been advised that the structural integrity of our car is compromised. Dealer wants $1200 to cut out rotted floor boards and weld in new floor panels. Have contacted Nissan customer care and opened case. Regional manager called and refuses to offer any coverage for this issue. Also, Nissan as a corporation has decided that they are not going to offer any assistance to owners with this widespread problem.

- Ipswich, MA, USA

Oct 112012

Altima 4-cyl

When I wen't to trade my car for a new one I was told by the dealer they wern't interested in my car because of rusted floor boards.they said this was a problem with nisan Altima and there should have been a recall.why wasn't nisan required to have a recall since this is a serious safty problem with Altima?other nisan cars don't seem to have this I fear for my families safty when I drive this car.

- Barnesville, OH, USA