Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 9 of 14)

May 202014

Altima 6-cyl

When performing maintenance on my Nissan Altima, noticed two large rust areas originating from drain holes located underneath front driver and passenger side floorboards. The rusting is severe, with large flakes breaking away when touched. The vehicle has no rust anywhere unusual on the body or the chassis, and where there is rust (along weld points of chassis) it is not comparable to the degree of corrosion. Contacted Nissan usa, they instructed me to seek dealer review. Dealership service manager reviewed and photographed, then denied assistance by citing the age of the car. I forward the decision to Nissan usa, and they contact me by phone to politely inform me that they are rejecting due to the car being out of warranty. I informed that this is a very common issue and that the vehicle is otherwise structurally sound, but she repeated that regardless if the rust originated from a defect from Nissan, the fact that it is out of warranty leaves her unable to assist. The vehicle is owned and driven in the mid-atlantic region where there is surface snow in the winter, but the undercarriage is sprayed down regularly to remove corrosive salt spray. This rusting was not visually present as of 6 months ago, but is now rapidly eating away at the metal at the surface.

- Catonsville, MD, USA

May 242014

Altima 4-cyl

I contacted Nissan usa to try and get them to open an investigation for the floor boards rotting away in my car. Did some research online and found out that I am not alone in my problem with the floor boards. Numerous people online with 2002-2006 Nissan Altima have the same problem where there is a snow covered winter. The women that answered the phone from Nissan usa was very polite took my information and looked into what I would have to do next to start things off. She told me that I would need to have the vehicle diagnosed by my local dealer. So I made the appointment. A few days later had my estimate for repairs which is one thousand dollars plus tax. I called Nissan usa back and she politely filled in the details of the repair and instructed me I will be getting a call from a regional specialist. A few days later get a call from said specialist only to find out that they will not help me because my car no longer has warranty coverage. I explained that I want to have this investigated as the floor boards of a car that is built in 2005 no matter what should not resemble a 1960 Chevy floor boards. Again was just told there is nothing Nissan is able to do I have no warranty. This is a safety issue as the floor boards that are rotting away are directly where you feet are in the front seats. Please look into this as it is an issue for I am sure thousands of Nissan owners.

- Port Jefferson Station, NY, USA

May 282014

Altima 4-cyl

Front passenger side floor board is rusting out badly with a big hole in the floor.I am worried that either someone's feet will fall through floor or there could be a case of carbon monoxide poison. I contacted Nissan headquarters and mastria Nissan dealer on 5-30-14 and was told, " there is no recall on this, so they will not fix this issue".the dealer did say, " they have heard about this issue on many Altima and have fixed it in the past for a cost of $755 per floor panel".I told them, " if you know about this issue, why should I pay to fix it."

- Raynham, MA, USA

May 242014

Altima 4-cyl

After hearing a suspicious noise on the driver's floor, I checked underneath. The driver's side appeared to be ok, but pushing down on the carpeting you can feel the damaged metal. Underside the front passenger side there is a 24" long badly rusted through area that will have to be repaired. I'm guessing the noise on the drivers side is from rusted flooring as well. This car has been owned since new, well-maintained and garaged nightly. But it has been driven for 9 winters in the snow belt. Still, the rest of the vehicle is in excellent condition with no rust other than in those two frequently complained of areas.

- Johnsburg, IL, USA

May 232014

Altima 4-cyl

I noticed rust under my car, upon closer inspection I noticed two large areas of rust under the passenger and driver side floor pan. The rust is almost completely through the floor and will need repair.

- Bedminster, NJ, USA

May 192014

Altima 4-cyl

I took my Nissan Altima for inspection. The mechanic found the driver side floorboard to be rusted out. I am the original owner of the car and it was purchased with the dealer undercoating included. I am glad it was found before my foot went through the floor while I was driving. I checked with the Nissan dealer I bought the car from and he was familiar with the problem. He informed me that Nissan has not issued a recall for this problem.

- West Lawn, PA, USA

Sep 032013

Altima 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R the car has a clean carfax and I purchased this vehicle used form the local Nissan dealer with 15,000 miles. I am a automotive technician and noticed about 8 months ago while performing a routine oil change vehicle had around 101,000 miles that there was 2 rusted spots underneath the front of the vehicle where the front passengers floor boards are the floor board was cracked slightly. I took note of it and continued on my way. Well I just performed my routine oil change now have 105,000 miles on the vehicle and again noticed those same 2 rust spots are now rotted with a hole about the size of a soda can, there is nothing I can do to prevent this from happening also note that the part of the undercarriage that is rotting was treated from the dealer with a coating to prevent this from occurring. Obviously this should be a defect from the dealer and should be recalled as it will continue to rot the passenger floor out of the vehicle. Anyone with a 2002-2006 Altima should have there vehicle checked for this as there have been numerous complaints about this over the internet. Contact the Nissan cooperation and complain we together should be able to get this recalled.

- Port Jefferson Station, NY, USA

May 082014

Altima 4-cyl

We were told last year there was a hole the size of a grapefruit in the underbody, under where the passenger's feet would rest. I looked into getting it repaired and noticed a lot of similar complaints online, with others asking why it was not recalled due to the volume of such defects. Today I brought my car in to check on a noise, and was told the hole has increased to the size of a breadbox and that the brake calipers are therefore rubbing on it. The first estimate I received to repair the hole is $2500, as the body shop will have to cut out the affected area and solder in a new piece. While I live in the midwest, we wash the underbody in winter, and I don't think this should be happening on a 9 year old car.

- Madison, WI, USA

Mar 282014

Altima 4-cyl

I took my Nissan Altima to my Nissan dealer to have an "check engine light" repaired. They told me that my floorboards had rusted out and would not pass state inspection. The car shows no visible sign of rust anywhere on the body. This must be a design defect because cars do not rust out anymore. How can you help me? thanks.

- Exton, PA, USA

Mar 052014

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while having routine maintenance performed, he was notified that the floorboards were corroded and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 150,000.

- Lewisberry, PA, USA

Jan 012014

The contact owns 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while having routine maintenance performed, he was advised that the floor boards on the passenger's side were corroded and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 102,000.

- Mccoresville, IN, USA

Jan 202014

Altima 4-cyl

Floor boards are getting rusty per state inspection.

- Raymond, NH, USA

Jan 162014

The floor pan for my Nissan Altima have rusted out making it dangerous. After spending 5 mins on the internet, I learned this is very common, affecting 1,000's of 2005 Altima. It is always in the same spot and Nissan refusing to acknowledge poor craftsmanship and defective product. Holes allow exhaust fumes into my car, making dangerous for my children to ride in car. Totally unacceptable.

- East Norriton, PA, USA

Jan 132014

Altima 6-cyl

We noticed rust colored stains on the garage floor where my car is parked, so my husband jacked up the car and saw a huge rusted area in the front passenger side floorboard. It was so badly corroded that he easily put his foot through it! we bought our 2005 Altima new in 12/2004 and it only has 81K miles on it. The car has always been garaged and washed and detailed regularly. Apparently we are not alone based on what we've read online. A nine year old car should not have rusted out like that!

- Canton, CT, USA

Dec 242013

Floors on both driver and front seat passenger sides of my 2005 Nissan Altima are rusted right through.

- Shelton, CT, USA

Dec 032013

Altima 4-cyl

During a routine tire rotation, my mechanic noticed that both of my floor boards are rusted through. I have only owned this car for two years. I have seen several complaints on the same issue from other people.

- Holland, MI, USA

Nov 302013

Altima 4-cyl

Floorpan on this vehicle is completely rusting through! car has less than 100K miles on it and was a car-fax one owner!

- Strasburg, OH, USA

Oct 062012

Altima 4-cyl

My floor of my car has rusted out. I have taken my car to Nissan for regular maintenance at the dealership where it was purchased. The floorboard has rusted so bad it is not safe to put anyone in the passenger seat. This car is well cared for, garaged nightly, washed weekly and all maintenance appointments kept. It has one driver over age 60 so it is not used for speed or derby driving. I did not build this car and as I am not an auto service person would have no way of knowing that my undercarriage and floorboards were rusted to the point of being a safety hazard. They have placed my car on the blocks and lifted every time yet never told me there was a problem. This is negligence of the highest form and they did not want to cover this under warranty so they remained silent about a known safety issue. As a layperson I have been fraud and my safety jeopardized for the sake of saving a few dollars. I will now take this problem public to any and everyone who will listen. I ask and encourage the NHTSA to hear the complaints of consumers and require Nissan make this right. Obviously these floorboards were not treated for rust protection. I am not a litigious person but will now seek to become one as a result of this grave act of negligence.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Nov 132013

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while having an oil change performed, he was notified that the floor boards on both the passenger and driver's sides were completely corroded. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 98,000.

- Parkville, MD, USA

Oct 242013

Altima 4-cyl

After reading some blogs about people discussing Nissan Altima floorboard rust issues, I checked my 2005 Altima ser and noticed that both the driver and passenger side floorboards are rusted through. This vehicle has been parked in a garage and has been well maintained. It appears that numerous people have reported this problem to NHTSA and to Nissan but Nissan has not issued a recall. This is a safety issue because exhaust fumes can enter the cabin.

- Cooper City, FL, USA