Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 5 of 10)

May 062010

My service engine lights comes on, call stalls, and cuts off while driving.

- Manchester, GA, USA

Apr 272010

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated while the vehicle was sitting idle in front of his residence, with the engine on, the vehicle caught on fire without warning. The dealer advised the fire originated from a hole in the side of the oil pan. The contact confirmed the vehicle did not exhibit any signs of an oil leak. The failure and current mileages were 100,000.

- Cinncinatti, OH, USA

Mar 102010

Altima 4-cyl

We owned a 2005 Nissan Altima. While driving at approximately 35 mph on normal road conditions, the vehicle started jerking and then stopped running. Vehicle was taking to mechanic, and mechanic said problem was with defective crankshaft sensors. We communicated this information to dealership, who acknowledge that there was defective crankshaft sensors recall, but that our VIN number was not included in the recall. The dealership would not fix the problem. Crankshaft sensors were changed. New parts were completely different from the old ones (totally new redesign) car had about 60,000 miles when incident occurred.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Mar 132005

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the gears were grinding and the clutch pedal fell down which made it impossible to shift gears. He had to drive onto the emergency lane or apply extreme pressure to the brake pedal until it began to function normally while driving approximately 25 mph. The failure occurred more frequent during the summer. The engines oil pressure decreased to 10 psi. He took the vehicle to the dealer who stated that the required oil pressure was 14 psi. The dealer also stated that they could not offer any assistance after they replaced the oil pressure sensor. The dealer replaced the master cylinder clutch in 2008 but the failure continued to occur. The vehicle had not been repaired when the complaint was filed. He had not called the manufacturer to-date. The current mileage was approximately 36,200. The failure mileage was approximately 160.

- Cumberland, MD, USA

Apr 022010

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima. On my way back home on the highway, my check engine light came on. I took it to the dealership to get it checked out. They said my crank sensor is faulty. Now this was a common problem for 2002-03 Altima, but the 2004-2006 Altima are known to have this problems. I have been reading reports on and it seems like every owner of a 2002-2006 Nissan Altima is having this problem. Nissan is aware of this problem but refuses to do anything about it (according to other consumers that complained to Nissan). As a consequence of this failure, the car can stop in motion. Several of the consumers had their cars stop on the highway which can be fatal. The only symptoms are jerking and shaking of the car followed by stalling. The repair costs around $250, but it is not a guranteed fix. Many consumers had them happen numerous times, and had to fix them with their own money every time. I hope NHTSA takes proper action against Nissan and force them to acknowledge their mistake and issue a recall. Thank you.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Mar 302010

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle felt as if it slipped out of gear and completely shut off. The contact was able to drive onto the shoulder and restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the failure was caused by the crank shaft sensor. The vehicle was repaired at a local repair shop. The problem occurred again while the contact was driving approximately 70 mph. Once again she coasted to the side of the road and attempted to restart the vehicle. The contact stated that the cause of the failure was due to a defective computer and not the crank shaft sensor. The contact called the manufacturer and was informed that her vehicle was not included in recall 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was approximately 72,980. The current mileage was 73,010.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Mar 272009

Our car is 2.5L engine, caused suddenly a problem with ignition failures on one day. While driving my vehicle the check engine light came on. Shortly after that car died. I pulled off the road and after several attempts was able to restart the car. And we have taken it to repair facility who has clearly gave written statement it is the problem with crankshaft position sensor.[ code P0335 -crankshaft position sensor circuit] even there was recall with NHTSA campaign id number: 07V527000. Nissan rejected my reimbursement request stating my VIN is not part of that recall. I had same symptoms what was written in NHTSA campaign id. Contacted Nissan 800-647-7261 but of no use.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Mar 182010

2005 Nissan Altima - crankshaft sensor. My 2005 pre-owned Nissan Altima just experienced crank/start problems yesterday. After computer diagnostics were performed, they discovered that the ECM and the crankshaft sensor were defective. The dealership informed me that the 2005 Nissan models had a recall on the ECM modules and the crankshafts. They advised me to contact Nissan to ensure this had not been previously corrected during the original recall. I contacted Nissan to find out that it had never been corrected. Nissan rep divya cheeran advised me that the ECM and frame were on recall however the crankshaft was not. I informed her that the dealership had already informed me of the recall for the crankshaft. She insisted the dealership was wrong and there was no recall of any crankshaft on any Nissan vehicles. I told her that I was looking at a Consumer Affairs report on the internet as well as the report/recall notice with national highway traffic and safety administration. She still refuted the fact that there had been any recall on the crankshafts for the 2005 Nissan Altima. However, she advised me to take my car into the nearest dealership (sheehy Nissan in springfield, va) to have the ECM and frame fixed. She stated that once the ECM was fixed it would resolve the cranking and shutting off problems I was experiencing. I advised her that the mechanic at the dealership had already confirmed that would not remedy the problem with the crankshaft and I would like for Nissan to acknowledge the recall and fix the ECM and crankshaft. It was public knowledge and record that there was a known problem with this and could be potentially hazardous to my health and the health of my newborn who frequently travels with me. I advised her that $200 to fix the crankshaft should be nothing to Nissan as opposed to me filing a lawsuit with them if any harm came to me or my child due to this hazard. Can you please assist me with getting my car fixed?

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Mar 062010

Altima 4-cyl

My car stalled twice on Saturday, March 6th. The service engine light came on. I took it to my mechanic who said that I needed a new crank sensor. When he entered my VIN number into the system, the mechanic said that my car had a current recall that was still pending. I purchased the car this past August and the dealership did not inform me of the recall.

- Lakewood, NJ, USA

Mar 122010

2005 Nissan Altima. Consumer seeks reimbursement for a crankshaft position sensor. The consumer stated the sensor needed to be replaced because the vehicle would intermittently cut off as described in the recall. The consumer was denied reimbursement because the recall only required reprogramming the ECM. The consumer stated the reprogramming of the ECM did not resolve the problem, because a few months later the stalling occurred. The problem was not resolved until the crankshaft position sensor was replaced.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Feb 232010

On the 2005 Nissan ultima 2.5 liter engines the crank shaft positioning sensor fails prematurely resulting in loss of power to the engine. The engine stalls out at speeds above 65 mph placing the driver and passengers in grave danger of a rear end collision which could result in the death or injury to the occupants. This was extremely dangerous in louisville, Kentucky on interstate 65 with a huge population of tractor trailers moving North and South on I65. Nissan has failed to acknowledged this safety issue. I challenge you to conduct a google search and find numerous consumer complaints about this safety issue. Many consumers have contacted Nissan but it appears they are unwilling to acknowledge this potential deadly safety issue. I would ask you asthe Agency responsible for safety to force Nissan to do the right thing and make this a mandatory recall. Its unfortunate Nissan is playing the same game as Toyota and someone must act on this safety issue now before someone is killed!!!

- Louisville, KY, USA

Nov 012009

Check engine soon sign. I used for 4 1/2 years and the warranty is for 8 years. I was told catalytic converter is bad.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Feb 172010

While driving the vehicle the check engine light came on. Shortly after that the car died. I pulled off the side of the road and after several attempts was able to restart the car. The check engine light has come on in the past and after having the computer cleared the problem goes away. This is the first time that car died on me while driving. The problem usually occurs when I shift from park to drive before the rpms drop below 1000.

- Joppa, MD, USA

Feb 112010

I own a 2005 Nissan Altima. On my way home from work, my car cut off while going across a bridge. Luckily my children were not in the car. I found out that there was a recall on my car regarding reprogramming the ECM in the engine. However, I had to get my crankshaft sensor replaced. According to reports, this is a know problem with Altima and they should be responsible for replacement, not the consumer.

- Danville, VA, USA

Feb 052010

2005 Nissan Altima, crankshaft sensor.the sensor was recalled on December 2007. The craft sensor overheat causing a brief interruption and made the engine to stop running while driving without any warning, it happened on Feb 5th in boston, did 3 times while driving with my 12 years old daughter on the car.

- Newmarket, NH, USA

Nov 192009

Altima 4-cyl

2005 Nissan Altima recall campaign 06V-223. The consumer received a recall notice regarding an issue with engine stalling. He took the vehicle took the dealer to have the recall taken care of and after waiting nearly two hours, the electronic control module was reprogrammed to prevent stalling of the engine in the event of a signal interruption from the crank angle sensor. The consumer was reassured that the problem was fixed and didn't need to worry about the engine randomly stalling. On November 19, 2009 the vehicle shut off without warning while driving on a busy street. The consumer was able to steer the vehicle safely to the side of the road. He made several attempts to re-start the vehicle, but to no avail. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic's shop, and a diagnostic test determined that the crank shaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor were defective and caused the engine to shut off. The consumer is seeking reimbursement of the monies that were spent at the mechanic's shop in the amount of $315.33. The reprogramming of ECM did not fix the problem as the dealer originally stated.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jan 042010

2005 Nissan Altima - when going up a grade the vehicle dies. This has happened a number of times on tioga pass, on the bay bridge, on hwy 46 in the fog, on the 580 ect. Mechanic indicates that the computer code is P2135 - throttle position sensor, mechanic states the throttle body needs to be replaced. Hopefully this will be covered under my extended emission warranty. I'll be driving at 65 miles an hour and sometimes when going up a hill the car will die, the lights and radio stay on but their is no power. I have to put on my hazard lights and get over to the shoulder put it in park and restart the car. A number of times this happened in very dangerous situations like on the bay bridge where there isn't room to pull over. Last night I was on ca 46and it was very foggy. The car died and there was no shoulder to pull over on. I had to stop in the lane and restart the car, in the dark and fog, on a curvy and busy hwy. My mechanic indicates that this problem has been an issue with Nissan Altima's. no recalls/mandatory fixes have been issued. I'm looking at a $544 repair bill. I have to take it to the dealership to see if it might be covered under the extended warranty. I don't have the VIN # because the car is in the shop. I can get that info tomorrow if you need it.

- Fresno , CA, USA

Dec 072009

We have 2005 Nissan Altima with the 2.5 motor, cars engine light came on and we took it to our mechanic and he said it was the crankshaft sensor, and told me about the recall. I took my car to the nearest Nissan dealer, and all they told me there was a recall on the ECM, and that was all., nothing about the crankshaft sensor. I told them about it and they said my car was not under that recall. How can that be when there is a recall for that year, that model, and that motor. I even called a Nissan rep; and he told me the same thing. I had to had to have my car that weekend so I took it back to my mechanic and he replaced the sensor and we haven't had any problems since. I think I got !@#$% by Nissan.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Dec 082009

There are several problems : - vehicle loses engine power on highway (cruise set to 65, droops to 55 and then picks up again) - vehicle has stalled at traffic lights - vehicle has trouble starting after being turned off for a short (less than 30 mins) period of time. The problem was diagnosed by meineke as a failed crankshaft position sensor. A recall affecting this car (07527000) was issues by only to fix the ECM, not the sensor which was affected as well. I have several other examples of sensor failures on the make and model of this vehicle. I am currently waiting for the part to be replaced and arguing with Nissan to make the replacement free of charge.

- Monroe, NJ, USA

Nov 182009

Vehicle crank shaft sensor failed causing vehicle to shut down while driving.

- New Hyde Park , NY, USA