CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Oct 212015

Altima

Rusting of floorboard panel on passenger side of vehicle. This was discovered as part of prepurchase inspection. Due to issue buyer was no longer interested due to cost of repair

- Stoneham, MA, USA

Aug 172015

Altima

The part of the floor boards directly beneath where both the driver and the front seat passenger would normally place their feet has rusted through to the extent that only carpeting and insulation material prevents the feet from going through the floor to the ground. The local " carousel Nissan " dealership has taken photos and documented the damage but will assume no responsibility. The damage was noticed when a piece of the carpet or insulation was seen hanging under the car.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Sep 172015

Altima

Drivers side floor pan rust through. It appears to be a common problem in the 2002 to 2006 Altima and maxima models. A recall should be performed. This problem is a danger, and very costly to repair.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Aug 012015

Altima

Both my driver and passenger floorboards are completely rusted out. I have a 12" long hole on one of the sides. Nissan doesn't cover it because it's not a safety issue. It is not safe by any means. I can put my entire foot through the hole! my seat can become less stable, fumes can come in, who knows. The cost to fix it is more than the car is worth. No recall period, and they are aware of the problem. My sister has the same make/model/year and she was shocked to find out she has the exact same problem. Same spots, same rust. Also, both cars were garaged.

- Middletown, CT, USA

Sep 092015

Altima

The floors boards on the driver and passenger sides have rusted through causing a problem with fumes in the car

- Island Heights, NJ, USA

Sep 112015

Altima

The floor boards are completely rusted away on the driver and passenger side under neath the vehicle. You can actually put your hand through and push up into the carpet on inside of car. This is obviously a safety issue.

- Huntley, IL, USA

Jul 152015

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that there was extensive rust and corrosion on the floorboards. In addition, there were holes on the flooring on the drivers side and the front passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000. Updated 11/20/15

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 092015

Altima

Driver and passenger side floor boards are both rusted out. I'm worried I will eventually put my foot through the floor.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Aug 312015

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. While performing maintenance on the vehicle, the contact noticed a rusted hole under the driver side floorboard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the floor pan would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Maclenny, FL, USA

Aug 282015

Altima

Floorboards on both the driver's and passenger sides are rusting out. Initial holes were noticed years ago. Holes have become much larger. I can literally touch carpet from underneath the car.

- Amesbury, MA, USA

Oct 072014

Altima

Extreme rust on the floor panel. Floor panel on driver's side completely rotted out.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Aug 242015

Altima

Door handles broke off in my hand preventing entry into the car without great difficulty

- Brick, NJ, USA

Aug 222015

Altima

Had normally scheduled maintenance performed on 2006 Altima to include tire rotation. Discovered that the floor boards on front on both sides are completely rusted through, I can see the carpet. Will not pass inspection, have contacted a garage for repair costs. My car is carport kept, I wash weekly and is kept spotless. After reading the many, many complaints Nissan needs to take action. I have driven Nissan for 25 years, even my 14 yr. Old Sentra wasn't rusted when I sold it.

- Elkins, WV, USA

Aug 182015

Altima

Due to poor design or quality of material used in the manufacturing of the floor boards on either side of the vehicle is completely rusted through. You can see the underside of my carpet from underneath the vehicle. I am in fear of potential "crumple zone" / weakening of the car when in front end collision due to the rusted out area and the security of my driver and passenger seat during any type of accident because the seat mounting holes are near rusted/weakened area. I am in fear to even drive my car or sell it to someone else to drive.. in addition.. the cost to fix the problem areas far exceed the book value of the car.. there should be something done about this. This vehicle is not a rare vehicle there are millions of these vehicles on the road and millions of lives that could potentially be saved in accidents I have detailed photos of this issue of needed

- Staten Island , NY, USA

Aug 142015

Altima

My elderly parent just took their 2006 Nissan Altima, garage kept with less than 40K miles to the local dealership for inspection. I was shocked when the technical explained that the drivers and passenger side floor boards are completely rusted out, soon pavement underneath their feet. They took pictures to prove the damage and submit to Nissan for repair. Apparently Nissan acknowledges the problem, but doesn't want to pay to fix (about $1000) or do a damn thing about the problem until someone gets hurt or killed! this is a outrage!!!!!!! Nissan knowingly built the piece of sh*t car, with crappy, rusty metal and sold the cars to the american people, but now what's to blame the consumer for the problem, we didn't build the car....Nissan did!!!!! this is not only road a hazard, but a huge safety issue. They drive a very busy highway about twice a week, doing 60-70 mph, so rusty floor boards could defiently impair their ability to brake suddenly, causing bodily harm to the driver and passenger..whose fault would that be" why hasn't there been a recall issued by Nissan or the government? why is Nissan allowed to get away with this..the consumer should not be held responsible for Nissan producing sh*t vehicles and selling them to american public.!!! why isn't Nissan being held responsible, just like GM!!!!!???"

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Aug 132015

Altima

Upon inspection of my car. And seeing news reports about 2002 to 2006 Nissan Altima. My floors on both sides are fully rotted out. The rest of the car is solid. This is a huge safety issue as ur feet can go thru the floor. I have pictures. Nissan should have a recall or a fix for this...

- East Montpelier, VT, USA

May 012013

Altima

My Nissan Altima's driver and passenger side floor panels are rusted. The rust is starting from the inside to the outside of the vehicle leading to holes in the floor panels. I went to Nissan dealersip and they told me that they are very well aware of this problem with Altima. It is due to a design error in the floor panel which has build it holes from factory which lets the moisture and water inside the floor panels leading to rusting.

- Canonsburg, PA, USA

Aug 042015

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. While at an independent mechanic for inspection, the contact noticed that the floorboards on both the front driver and front passenger side were corroded. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Fair Mont , WV, USA

Aug 012015

Altima

Both the front drivers and passenger side floor pans are completely rusted out. The carpet is the only thing keeping your feet from going through the floor and touching the highway. From reading the other complaints on this site, it would appear that this is a common problem and seems to be due to a flaw in the manufacturing / engineering. This is a safety issue. Why is it not being addressed and remedied by Nissan ?

- Seneca Falls, NY, USA

Jul 102015

Altima

Within the last three weeks I observed a rusted piece of metal extending from the underside of my vehicle under the driver side. I took it to a meineke location and had them look at the underside. It is extensively rusted and needs to have sheet metal welded from the inside to prevent my foot/feet from hitting the road. I purchased the vehicle used in 2010 with 66000 miles. I am very happy with it and take good care of it. I would like to keep it for as long as possible. I have researched the issue and see that it is systemic issue with this model and believe Nissan should E held responsible.

- Harrison, NJ, USA