Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Jul 152015

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that there was extensive rust and corrosion on the floorboards. In addition, there were holes on the flooring on the drivers side and the front passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000. Updated 11/20/15

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 092015

Driver and passenger side floor boards are both rusted out. I'm worried I will eventually put my foot through the floor.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Aug 312015

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. While performing maintenance on the vehicle, the contact noticed a rusted hole under the driver side floorboard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the floor pan would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Maclenny, FL, USA

Aug 282015

Floorboards on both the driver's and passenger sides are rusting out. Initial holes were noticed years ago. Holes have become much larger. I can literally touch carpet from underneath the car.

- Amesbury, MA, USA

Oct 072014

Extreme rust on the floor panel. Floor panel on driver's side completely rotted out.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Aug 242015

Door handles broke off in my hand preventing entry into the car without great difficulty

- Brick, NJ, USA

Aug 222015

Had normally scheduled maintenance performed on 2006 Altima to include tire rotation. Discovered that the floor boards on front on both sides are completely rusted through, I can see the carpet. Will not pass inspection, have contacted a garage for repair costs. My car is carport kept, I wash weekly and is kept spotless. After reading the many, many complaints Nissan needs to take action. I have driven Nissan for 25 years, even my 14 yr. Old Sentra wasn't rusted when I sold it.

- Elkins, WV, USA

Aug 182015

Due to poor design or quality of material used in the manufacturing of the floor boards on either side of the vehicle is completely rusted through. You can see the underside of my carpet from underneath the vehicle. I am in fear of potential "crumple zone" / weakening of the car when in front end collision due to the rusted out area and the security of my driver and passenger seat during any type of accident because the seat mounting holes are near rusted/weakened area. I am in fear to even drive my car or sell it to someone else to drive.. in addition.. the cost to fix the problem areas far exceed the book value of the car.. there should be something done about this. This vehicle is not a rare vehicle there are millions of these vehicles on the road and millions of lives that could potentially be saved in accidents I have detailed photos of this issue of needed

- Staten Island , NY, USA

Aug 142015

My elderly parent just took their 2006 Nissan Altima, garage kept with less than 40K miles to the local dealership for inspection. I was shocked when the technical explained that the drivers and passenger side floor boards are completely rusted out, soon pavement underneath their feet. They took pictures to prove the damage and submit to Nissan for repair. Apparently Nissan acknowledges the problem, but doesn't want to pay to fix (about $1000) or do a damn thing about the problem until someone gets hurt or killed! this is a outrage!!!!!!! Nissan knowingly built the piece of sh*t car, with crappy, rusty metal and sold the cars to the american people, but now what's to blame the consumer for the problem, we didn't build the car....Nissan did!!!!! this is not only road a hazard, but a huge safety issue. They drive a very busy highway about twice a week, doing 60-70 mph, so rusty floor boards could defiently impair their ability to brake suddenly, causing bodily harm to the driver and passenger..whose fault would that be" why hasn't there been a recall issued by Nissan or the government? why is Nissan allowed to get away with this..the consumer should not be held responsible for Nissan producing sh*t vehicles and selling them to american public.!!! why isn't Nissan being held responsible, just like GM!!!!!???"

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Aug 132015

Upon inspection of my car. And seeing news reports about 2002 to 2006 Nissan Altima. My floors on both sides are fully rotted out. The rest of the car is solid. This is a huge safety issue as ur feet can go thru the floor. I have pictures. Nissan should have a recall or a fix for this...

- East Montpelier, VT, USA

May 012013

My Nissan Altima's driver and passenger side floor panels are rusted. The rust is starting from the inside to the outside of the vehicle leading to holes in the floor panels. I went to Nissan dealersip and they told me that they are very well aware of this problem with Altima. It is due to a design error in the floor panel which has build it holes from factory which lets the moisture and water inside the floor panels leading to rusting.

- Canonsburg, PA, USA

Aug 042015

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. While at an independent mechanic for inspection, the contact noticed that the floorboards on both the front driver and front passenger side were corroded. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Fair Mont , WV, USA

Aug 012015

Both the front drivers and passenger side floor pans are completely rusted out. The carpet is the only thing keeping your feet from going through the floor and touching the highway. From reading the other complaints on this site, it would appear that this is a common problem and seems to be due to a flaw in the manufacturing / engineering. This is a safety issue. Why is it not being addressed and remedied by Nissan ?

- Seneca Falls, NY, USA

Jul 102015

Within the last three weeks I observed a rusted piece of metal extending from the underside of my vehicle under the driver side. I took it to a meineke location and had them look at the underside. It is extensively rusted and needs to have sheet metal welded from the inside to prevent my foot/feet from hitting the road. I purchased the vehicle used in 2010 with 66000 miles. I am very happy with it and take good care of it. I would like to keep it for as long as possible. I have researched the issue and see that it is systemic issue with this model and believe Nissan should E held responsible.

- Harrison, NJ, USA

May 302014

While I had the oil changed on my 2006 Nissan Altima, the tech noticed that there was some rusted metal under the passenger side. Upon inspection he found a 15"X10" hole in the passenger side floor board. This vehicle has about 85,000 miles and is garaged. I notified Nissan and they told me to bring the car into a Nissan dealership for inspection, which I did on 7/3/15. They took pictures and sent them to Nissan customer complaints. After several emails and phone calls going back and forth, they said there was nothing they could do. I have never heard of a vehicle with such low miles having this problem. This is not a isolated case. Several more Nissan Altima owners have this same proble. I am having the vehicle repaired for safety reasons at my own expense. There should be a national recall on this make and model year.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Oct 242014

Floorboards are rusting through on driver & passenger sides of the vehicle. I'm concerned about safety if a hole opens or if something comes through from the underside.

- Lake Carmel, NY, USA

Jun 022015

My entire drivers side and passneger side floor board has rotted out completely. Im talking I can put my foot through it. I head all of it fall out driving down the I-90. This car is rust free from Florida. This is such bs and is unsafe to drive.

- Dunkirk, NY, USA

Jun 012015

I took my car in for a safety inspection and learned that the driver's side floor board was rusted entirely through. The only thing between me and the road was the floor mat. The car did not pass inspection and when I took it to my regular mechanic he was shocked at what it looked like. I took it to a body shop and likewise he couldn't believe from the look of the car (which has been well maintained) that it would be rusted out like it is. That led me to do some research and learned that this is not an uncommon complaint and that class action law suits are popping up all over the country. I want to lodge my complaint and add it to the others who have notified you of this serious safety risk posed by this defect.

- Arlington, VA, USA

May 012015

The floor board (pan) under driver left foot is rusted. There is a hole about 4 by 8 inches big.

- Abingdon, MD, USA

May 252015

Both floor boards are rusted on the undercarriage. Front of the vehicle we were changing the tires and noticed the serious rusting out of both floor boards.

- Zanesville, OH, USA