2008 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Aug 272015

Altima

The dashboard in my 2008 Nissan Altima is melting away and has left behind a very sticky and shiny surface that emits a very strong vision impairing glare onto the windshield. Due to this glare, I have had almost a number of near miss accident situations since this issue begun in 2012-13. The glare impacts your visibly, adding more distraction and limits response time when aggressive or phone distracted drives suddenly swerve or pull out in front of you as you try to avoid an accident. Apart from the glare, the dashboard is emitting a very strong chemical like odor which makes me concerned for my overall health. I don't believe it is healthy for any driver/passenger to have to be breathing in the toxic particles from the materials and glue of which the part is made of. My other concern in this situation is the impact the defected melting dashboard has on the release of the passenger airbag in the event of a crash. The dashboard upon touch is very guey, sticky, and smears or comes-off when pressed. The manufacturer has refused to replace this part and has quoted $2,000 for part replacement. This is not only a very costly item, but also unfair to the owner who can't afford the repair and has to jeopardize their safety because of manufacturers negligence by supplying defective part. I try to avoid driving this vehicle unless it is necessary out of concern for my safety.

Jan 012014

Altima

I live in sunny South Florida, my dashboard is melting. I cannot drive without sunglasses on at all times because the reflection of the sun on that clear, gooey, sticky, lacquer-looking, thing shines so brightly that it obstructs my vision and has been affecting my eyesight. Please note it is a hazard to drive this vehicle because there is the possibility of not seeing a pedestrian or certain things in front of me that can lead to a serious incident.

Aug 162015

Altima

My 2008 Nissan Altima's dashboard is sticky and melting. The sticky residue reflects in the windshield causing a glare when driving during the daytime. In my opinion the melting dashboard is a safety defect and should be recalled.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Sep 012011

Altima

The dashboard in my 2008 Nissan Altima is badly melted and continues to melt. Very sticky and anything that gets on it will stick to it including bugs! I couldn't understand why this would be happening to a vinyl dashboard because I've owned several cars and never encountered such a problem neither had I ever seen that in any other vehicle. I searched on line and was surprised to see that I wasn't the only one with this problem. I showed it to a friend who said it wasn't normal and I should look to see if there was any recalls. Unfortunately, there is none.I did discover my dashboard isn't vinyl but seems to be made of a hard foam which melts and scratches easily. The glare from that dashboard is unreal and unsafe. When the sun is shining bright (and it does in pensacola, fl) I have to try to find a spot in the windshield where there is no glare in order to properly see through my windshield. This is definitely a road hazard and safety concern and I can't believe no action has been taken by NHTSA or Nissan to correct this defect.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

May 012013

Altima

I purchased my Nissan Altima used in 2012. A little more than a year later, I noticed sticky spots on my dashboard. Initially, I thought I had cleaned my dashboard with the wrong product. However, the issue has gotten progressively worse since then, and I now know that the stickiness is caused by my dashboard melting in the sun. Large sticky, shiny areas cover my dashboard and cause a very serious glare on my windshield that affects my vision when driving. This is a very serious hazard for me and for the drivers around me. It is a defect of vehicle's construction and should be addressed by the manufacturer.

Jul 082013

Altima

My dashboard has started to melt. It makes the dashboard very sticky as if it is an adhesive product and turns colors. Due to this over time, the view out of the windshield is obstructed by a glare from any light source whether its from the sun or from a street lamp. I do not use any cleaning products other than a wet rang for the dash when cleaning the car, and I take pride in my vehicle. Since my car is out of warranty, Nissan would not replace the dash even though this is an safety issue as some pedestrians or road hazards are almost unavoidable due to the glare. In addition, everything sticks to the dash including paper, sun visors, and even bugs as I am located in miami, fl.

Jun 012014

Altima

The dashboard on my 2008 Altima has been melting for the past year and is causing a large area of glare on the windshield. When I brought it up to the dealership last year, they told me I had used a chemical on the dashboard, that it needed to be cleaned off, and there is nothing they will do to fix it. They did not address the stickiness, either. This issue of a melting dash is dangerous, as it causes decreased visibility through the windshield with any amount of sunlight. Please make Nissan take responsibility for using lower quality materials by replacing the dashboards with a better quality material at no cost to the car owner.

- Collinsville, OK, USA

Jul 172015

Altima

I notice my dashboard is cracking and soft and sticky. I see a lot of complaints about the same issue from other owners and feel this may be unsafe especially when if the airbags deploy. I am sure tests were done when the dashboard is fine but was airbags testing done with sticky, soft, cracking dashboards, probably not.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Jul 152015

Altima

The dashboard on my 2008 Altima 2.5S has completely melted. It is sticky, discolored, and cannot be cleaned due to the stickiness. Nissan will not fix this as the vehicle is outside of its warranty. Replacement dash runs over $1200 just for parts. I know it's only a matter of time before the glare from the melting gets worse and I crash because I can't see. Ridiculous.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jul 012013

Altima

The dashboard in the front of the car is melting and when the sun is in a lower position it will cause a reflection on the windshield that makes it difficult to see. This condition began shortly after the auto in question passed 60,000 miles and has gotten worse over the ensuing years

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Jul 122015

Altima

2008 Nissan Altima dashboard "melting". majority of dashboard now looks shinny and appears to have a liquid shine to it, which causes blind spots during driving due to the reflective nature of the "melted" dash. Cannot touch, clean, or wipe the dash as the surface is similar to tacky glue. Nothing has been sprayed on the dash to cause this issue, this is just the heat building up internally and the design of the dashboard material being substandard.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jan 012012

Altima

I purchased my 2008 Nissan alitma brand new in Florida. The dashboard has melted and continues to do so. It has created a horrible glare and it inhibits my vision. Not to mention it is unsightly and impossible to clean a sticky, crumbly surface. My local Nissan dealer will not cover the cost as I am out of my warranty. There are complaints all over the internet about this problem. I don't believe I should have to pay over $1,000 or even $1 to get it fixed as it is a manufacturer's defect. There should have been a recall on this long ago. I moved to Kentucky 3 years ago and it's melting here also.

- Hazel, KY, USA

Jul 032015

Altima

The dash board is melting. There is a sticky substance coming form the dash board that causes a significant glare from the sun. I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and filed a complaint reagrding my dashy board (complaint #19437322) and a representative named "marisol" advised me that Nissan would not be replacing or repairing my dash board at not expense to me. Thsi is an obvious manufacturers defect and may owners of the 2008 Nissan are experasincing teh same unsafe conditions associated with the dash board melting.

- Davie, FL, USA

Jul 232013

Altima

I've called several times in reference to this and got the run around. Also called my insurance and they kept saying to call or go to you. Dashboard is still sticky and being asked almost $1500 to get it fixed. I would like for this to get resolved.

- Loxahatchee, FL, USA

Apr 152015

Altima

Dashboard has begun to melt, leaving a sticky residue that is highly reflective. In direct sunlight, it will reflect onto windshield causing reduced visibility. Residue will not wipe off. Attracts loose fibers, dirt, and debris. Inner dashboard toward airbag and steering wheel is also pitting due to a tacky texture from melting....updated 07/13/16

- Bryan, TX, USA

May 012014

Altima

Dashboard is melting with extreme glare off of it. Sticky to touch. Sometimes hard to see with glare. Since first noticing it, it has now covered almost 1/2 the dashboard.

Oct 012014

Altima

I am the owner of a 2008 Nissan Altima with a melting dashboard!! it is sticky to touch and creates an unsafe glare when driving which has become a safety hazard. I have contacted Nissan on numerous occasions and I've been told that there were no other complaints on the dashboard melting therefore, they would not agree to fix it nor would they issue a recall to prevent what could eventually be a fatal accident due to what seems to be a manufacture defect on the rubberized material used on the dashboards. I am looking for help from other owners with this issue and the NHTSA for help to enforce a recall to prevent injury and possible fatalities due to this melting dashboard issue.

May 182015

Altima

The dashboard in my 2008 Nissan Altima coupe is giving off a strong chemical smell, is very sticky to the touch, and is so shiny that it generates an intense glare on the windshield when in direct sunlight. The windshield glare is a huge safety hazard that is only getting worse -- it used to be that I could get by with wearing sunglasses but now the glare is so intense that even with polarized sunglasses on, I have to lean this way and that in order to see what's in front of me. If I were to lose my sunglasses while out and about, I would absolutely be unable to drive until after sunset. It's unsafe for me and everyone on the road to operate a vehicle with such bad windshield obstruction. Any bugs or debris that come in contact with the areas of the dashboard that are melting instantly become stuck. It looks a lot like a tar pit and if you touch it, a tar-like substances comes off and is very hard to remove from your skin. The fumes it gives off are nauseating and seem to make the windshield foggy. When trying to clean the weird chemical fog off, I have to be extra careful not to let the cleaning rags touch any part of the dash because it will literally pull the rag apart, leaving behind distracting pieces of cloth all over the dash. I asked Nissan Consumer Affairs to help remedy my situation but they refused to help because the vehicle is no longer in warranty. It seems that as time goes on and the weather gets hotter, the dashboard only gets worse and worse. I cannot afford to fix the problem on my own (the dealership estimates that the repair will cost over $2,000) but I also don't feel safe driving in the sunlight.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jan 012012

Altima

I am another very frustrated melting dashboard owner as this has been happening for some time and is getting worse. The dashboard is very sticky(if you leave something on the dashboard for any length of time it becomes stuck). The dashboard is also shiny and produces a glare. When you drive into the sun. The glare makes it very hard to see oncoming traffic. It is a definite safety hazard. I'm also concerned about the fumes and potential carcinogens being omitted that may pose additional health risks to myself and passengers. I stopped by my local South Florida dealership and was told that I was basically out of luck as it is past the warranty provided(?) by Nissan.

- Wellington, FL, USA

Mar 282013

Altima

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima. Around 2013 I noticed that my dashboard starting melting. I reached out to Nissan, did everything they required me to do to obtain a estimate from a local Nissan only to be told that it was not covered under warranty. I have since done some research and discovered that there are thousands of people with this same issue. There is even a page on facebook with this issue. Which I was blocked from by Nissan for complaining too much. Obviously this is a faulty material issue. This is a huge concern for me and I am afraid that this could cause and accident. I have no choice but to still drive my car because I have to get to work. Now 2015 the dashboard has gotten so bad and glares off of the windshield which make it difficult to see. Hopefully you can assist with this matter. Thank you