Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Nissan Altima shows multiple problem trends, continuing the poor reputation of the 2013 Altima, prompting us to give it our "beware of this clunker" badge.

Owners are complaining about a whining noise from the power steering pump and a concerning amount vibration and even transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

2014 Nissan Altima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Altima:

2014 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Apr 152014

Altima 6-cyl

Example 1. while driving in my town home community and slightly turning right while going up a slightly inclined road the vehicle begins to shake violently and it seems the transmission is locking up. Goes away either by removing all pressure on accelerator or if excessive accelerator pressure is applied. The type of accelerator pressure needed to stop the excessive shaking would bring the vehicle to a speed that is unsafe relative to observed speeds limits in community. Example 2. these exhibited symptoms have also occurred with an increasing frequency while driving on city roads in light to moderate traffic: When you are coasting up to slower moving traffic in front of you and then need to accelerate as that traffic increases speed, the car will shake violently. This occurs mostly at speeds under 30 -35 mph but has been felt at speeds as high as 55 mph. It feels as though the entire drive train of the vehicle is going to fall out of the car. Vehicle currently has 1200 miles on odometer and symptoms have been increasingly noticeable and frequent since 605 miles on odometer. Separate issue: Navigation / audio system has frozen screen upon start up and becomes un responsive. No ability to change previous volume level of radio which may have been left at high volume level during previous drive. Input is not accepted on head unit or steering wheel controls. Navigation will not initiate. Car must be restarted for system to reboot and this may remedy the problem for one drive cycle or more. Has occurred 5 or more times in first month of ownership. Should a catastrophic failure in the drive train occur, I feel that I am at risk of serious personal injury. Additionally I am concerned that resale value of vehicle will be diminished due to damage caused by inherent design flaw in power train and in-car electronics.

- Renton, WA, USA

Apr 212014

Altima 4-cyl

Lost power while driving at 55mph on a freeway. I was informed by the service department of the Nissan dealership that my transmission had a defect and needs to be replaced.

- Plano, TX, USA

Mar 172014

Altima 4-cyl

I was at an intersection preparing to make a left turn. When there was an opening in oncoming traffic I pushed the gas pedal to proceed forward and as I entered the intersection the vehicle suddenly dropped the RPM's and acted as if in "limp mode". I pressed the accelerator to the floor to try to get out of the intersection but the vehicle did not respond and only "crawled" through the intersection. Because I could not get out of the intersection due to this issue oncoming traffic had to slam on brakes and almost hit me. Once I exited the intersection I looked for a place to pull over and stopped about a 500 yards from the intersection. I then noticed the vdc light was on. I pressed the vdc button and it lite up another indicator on the dash showing off. I pressed it again and the light went out however the other vdc light on the dash stayed illuminated. I then turned the engine off and waited a couple minutes and when I started the vehicle the other vdc light was off and the vehicle then drove normal. I have since noticed a sound like the transmission spinning wheni press the accelerator. I was scared to drive the vehicle so I went home. I immediately took the vehicle to the Nissan dealer and had the service department diagnose the problem but was told there were no "fault codes" and they did not know why my new car when into "limp mode" and the vdc light came on. This car is new and now I am scared to drive it! the service department at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle said if it happens again bring it back. I have found numerous problems on other internet car forums regarding other Nissan Altima's with this same issue. There is even another one on this site! this is a major safety defect and needs to be corrected asap. I could have been severely injured by oncoming traffic because the vehicle would not respond to the accelerator no matter what I did.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Oct 082013

2014 Nissan Altima sl 2.5 makes allot of noise and vibration when you accelerate to get up to a highway speed whether it is from the engine or transmission it is very loud inside the car! the steering wheel seems to have a lot of play in it at a dead stop with engine running by turning the wheel right to left! you also hear clunking noises turning it right to left! the fuel in the tank makes loud swishing noises sort as if I have a small ocean in my fuel tank!

- Centereach, NY, USA

Jan 232014

Altima 4-cyl

No unusual sounds or check engine noticed with the following: 1) while sitting in cramped traffic, I let off the brake pedal to inch forward a few feet while riding the brake. Rms dropped to 500 for every instance and car began to shutter. 2) coming to stop lights/signs. After traveling a distance of about 1/8-1/4 mile @30-40 mph, the deceleration caused the RPM to drop to 500 and the vehicle began to shutter as I reached the stopping point. I noticed this every now and then. I cannot replicate, however I was able to record the RPM drop on two occasions within 5 min of each other. 3) shuttering that occurs at low speeds is felt at higher speeds (50+).feel the shuttering as if transmission was trying to get to next gear, but it holds steady and vibrates. Not able to replicate. Very uncomfortable ride. 4) at random periods of just waiting in the car with it running, will feel surge as rpms drop for an instance. Took vehicle in based on complaints. Service center initiated the car to "re-learn" idle. Issue 1, no longer a problem thus far. Issue 2, still an issue. Issue 3 still an issue. Issue 4, still an issue. Taking it back to same dealer again, and another dealer for a 2nd service team diagnostics.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Nov 012013

The steering wheel starts to shake and I feel my gas pedal vibrate when driving approx. 30-40 mph and up. Nissan technical services mechanic said that is normal for Nissan Altima 2013/2014.

- Cary , NC, USA

Sep 242013

Altima 6-cyl

While attempting to make a turn at a stop light, vehicle began to shake and slow down. It felt as if it was going to lose power. I had to push the accelerator harder than expected as there was another vehicle bearing down on me in oncoming traffic. This is a new vehicle. I brought it to the dealer and it appears to be a torque converter issue. The shaking is not an issue in itself, however it could lead to accidents if someone is making a turn and needs to get out of oncoming traffic as the transmission does not seem to respond as expected.

- Grayson, GA, USA