ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Jul 212012

Avalanche 8-cyl

Im getting ready for a trip, from Texas to Ohio in Sept. Pulling another vehicle. I decided to get the truck ready before such a long trip. It started fine, no signs of problems, I pushed on the brake before changing gears, and my pedal went to the floor. I could hear squirting and air. I knew I had a leak. I investigated the issue and found hydraulic fluid under the driver side seat. I found one of the lines had split above the ehcu unit, spitting fluid all over the under body. This line was severely rusted. The other lines have some surface rust but nothing like this line. It is no longer tubular looking and looks more like a wet stick with a lot of missing branches, and is much larger looking than the others. Also, I found a leak on a line that runs to the rear axle, on the driver side frame that was severely rusted like the one described above. Im pretty sure this is the line that is split, but its hard to tell, I cant find a diagram to help trace the lines. After investigating the issue, I rechecked my dash lights to see if an ABS or a brake light, none are on. I have contacted dealers and brake mechanics for repair, and have to have it towed as there is not enough pressure in the line to stop the vehicle. The truck was purchased in Ohio. I would have imagined that they would be coated or stainless since it is a salt belt state, and im not sure why only one line degraded like it did.. this is a 2002 Avalanche 1500 4WD with Z71 off road package, it is expected to get dirty and wet. I believe better standards are in order to improve safety, and that there should, with this many people affected, definitely be a recall on the lines. Had it decided to hold up until my trip, this could have been very disastrous.

- Roman Forest, TX, USA

Jul 162012

Avalanche 8-cyl

I was traveling at 45 mph when the car in front of me slowed down to turn. I attempted to brake and the pedal felt soft then went right to the floor. I began pumping the brakes in order to slow the vehicle down. I was only able to stop the vehicle after manually shifting the transmission into 1st gear and pressing on the emergency brake. When I inspected the vehicle, the rear wheel and undercarriage were covered in brake fluid from a corroded steel brake line. Upon further investigation all of the brake lines in the vehicle that were installed in locations unable to be routinely cleaned were severely rusted.

- Mcafee, NJ, USA

Jun 272012

Avalanche 8-cyl

Attempted to stop at a stop sign. The brakes were working until I had slowed to about 5 mph. Then the brake pedal went to the floor. The car in front of me had already started moving forward so no accident occurred.

- Roxbury, CT, USA

Jun 092012

Avalanche 8-cyl

I noticed that by brakes felt like I was losing braking power. I suddenly was able to push my brake pedal to the floor and my braking was reduced. I got home an noticed that my main brake line was severely rusted and fluid was squirting out of a pinhole of my brake line. I searched the internet and found that this is a common occurrence among Chevrolet truck owners.

- Pitman, NJ, USA

Apr 282011

Avalanche

Brake pedal suddenly went to the floor. Resulted in crashing into car stopped ahead.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

May 172012

Avalanche

I was traveling at approximately 35 mph when a car in front of me stopped short and I was forced to apply heavy brake pressure. The brake pedal went almost all the way to the floor I was forced to steer off the road in order not to hit the vehicle in front of me, the Avalanche had almost total brake failure. Upon inspection of the vehicle it was found that the brake line had burst due to severe corrosion and the brake fluid was pouring out of the vehicle right above the rear axle.

- Sharon, MA, USA