ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

3.2

2002 Chevrolet Corvette steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Corvette:

2002 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 222010

Corvette

Steering on my 2002 Corvette locked up several times while I was driving yesterday. Moran Chevrolet put in a new battery and reset the codes (said something like "service steering column") and says not to worry about it. I am worrying about it.

- Clinton Twp, MI, USA

Jun 112010

Corvette

On June 10, 2010, my 2002 Corvette, żmanual" transmissions, " was at brandon auto in roanoke va., where they were replacing the original tires with 4 news tires. The car has just over 29,100 miles. Brandon stated that when they attempted to drive the car out of the garage, a warning light appeared stating, "service steering column." The car would shut off, and could not be driving. It was towed by aaa to pinkerton Chevrolet in salem, va. Pinkerton was the GM dealership that in Oct of 2006 corrected the "steering column locking device" under the NHTSA action number: Ea02031and GM recall no. 04006. On June 16th pinkerton diagnosed and replaced the steering column lock, and I was billed $624.80. When I questioned them about the above recall/defect of the steering column lock, the pinkerton service manager stated that the car was no longer under warranty. I picked the car up on the 16th after paying them in full. That same day I called GM's customer service and filed a complaint, #71-839793121. On june18th I was informed by GM customer service that "GM" was not responsible for any additional problems with the steering column recall/defects. When I asked for a supervisor, they put me on "hold" for over 30 minutes and then "hung up" on me. Had I been driving the car when the steering column defect occurred, it could have cause a crash resulting in possible serious injuries and property damage. I would appreciate "NHTSA ODI" investigation of this serious vehicle defect. Also, GM should be responsible: A). for notifying all Corvettes owners of this continuing problem with the steering column lock; B). Recalling all vehicles and effecting corrective repairs at "no cost" to the owners; C). And ensure the Corvette owners that GM's corrective action żis a permanent fix to the problem."

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Apr 072002

Corvette

I have a 2002 Corvette. The steering wheel lock does not unlock. There was a recall in 2004 but my car was not repaired. Today it is not covered by that recall and is dangerous to drive.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Aug 222005

Corvette 8-cyl

No problems leading up to the failure, and then while backing car out of garage, steering column locked, removed key, waited 10 seconds as shown on dashboard and the vehicle started. Went for a few feet and the fuel line shut car off. Had to push car into the garage and then had it towed to the dealer the next day. They replaced the locking parts, rack/ sector/ lock bolt that locked the steering column, which had been recalled 04V06000 in 2004. The dealer wanted to charge a deductible because the recall had already been done, but GM authorized the repair with no deductible charged.

- Smithsburg, MD, USA