2010 Chevrolet Equinox drivetrain NHTSA complaints: Power Train

NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2010 Chevrolet Equinox (Page 2 of 5)

2.5

2010 Chevrolet Equinox drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox:

2010 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Aug 252016

Equinox

2010 Chevy Equinox transmission failure. I am surprise there are so many complaints about the 2010 Equinox and GMC has not responded. I have the 2014 and 2010 Equinox models and I bought both new. I am now worried that I have too many cars made by GM. I have had problems with my 2010 Equinox for years but nothing close to the current transmission problem. My current mileage is 92,222. I was on the highway when it appeared my car skidded. I then changed lane to be safe. Next thing I know, the car RPM soared but the car would not drive. Essentially, the car acted as if it was on neutral when on drive. I then turned of the engine and restarted it and the car drove about 2 poles but would not further engage the transmission. I was stranded with my 8 year old son by the highway shoulder. I had the car towed to the dealer. Several hours later, I am being told that the wave plate in the transmission was broke and that I had to wait several days to know what other damage resulted. With the same car, I have had numerous problem with the bearings and frequent airbag problems. The car does not ride well like the 2014 model. For some months now, there has been an annoying low RPM noise at low speed that the tech could not diagnose. I am now wondering if it was the transmission failing all along. The same annoying sound is now occurring in the 2014 Equinox. It begs the question of whether there is a pervasive quality problem with GM vehicles. To GM, I demand a fix to this 2010 Equinox transmission problem. My VIN would be readily available. I was shopping for a GM truck but I am having to wait and

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 252016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 45 mph, the shifter did not engage and the vehicle became inoperable. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,222.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 172016

Equinox

Getting on the highway the engine started to rev, would not go over 30 miles per hour, no reverse, engine light appeared. Almost involved in accident.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Oct 222015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving various speeds, the gear shifter began to slip. The contact stated that the vehicle consumed a large amount of oil. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The manufacturer stated that since the vehicle was repaired by an independent mechanic, they could not assist with reimbursement. The failure mileage was approximately 62,000.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Jul 282016

Equinox 4-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Equinox. Consumer writes in regards to excessive oil consumption problems, engine replacement and transmission failure. The consumer stated the vehicle would not accelerate. She was able to make it onto the next road and tried shifting into neutral then back to drive again. The vehicle revved when she stepped on the accelerator. She pulled over into a parking lot, shut the engine off, and re-started it again. The consumer was able to drive two miles to her home, never getting out of first gear, while the engine continued to rev. Upon returning home, the consumer attempted to move the vehicle onto the street, out of the driveway, but soon discovered the vehicle would not go in reverse. However, the engine revved. The vehicle was towed to a transmission specialist where the consumer was quoted a price of $ $3,465.90 to replace the transmission.

- Mashpee, MA, USA

Dec 022014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. While attempting to accelerate from a stop, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle hesitated before moving forward. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle finally failed to accelerate completely. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The computer for the transmission had previously been replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Byron Center, MI, USA

Jul 202016

Equinox

While driving on an arterial city street approx 50mph the vehicle lunged unexpectedly with a hard knock sound. After slowing at the light the vehicle continued on normally. The next day when the vehicle was put in reverse, to back out of the garage, nothing happened and when the accelerator was pressed still nothing happened. The vehicle was put back into park and then back into reverse again and this time the transmission engaged normally. This happened again later the same day. I took the vehicle to my dealer and described the problem. A technician was able to recreate the issue and stated that it was probably the wave plate cracking in the transmission. He states this has become a very common problem with this make, model and year and when it fully breaks it can do alot of damage. Later in the morning the service rep called and stated the wave plate should be replaced and that it would cost $3600. I looked this issue up on the NHTSA website and their are numerous complaints related to this very part within the transmission, many with scary stories of what happened. Chevy customer service states that there was a notice put out for model years 2007-2009 but nothing after that for the exact same safety issue. This has become a trend and the wave plate/transmission issues with the 2010 Chevy Equinox need to be addressed by the dealer before someone is hurt. This needs to be a recall item so that the customer is safe and not stuck with a $4000 repair for something that the manufacturer has identified as an issue on the exact same model but older model years. Obviously after identifying the problem nothing was done to correct it in future model years and therefore all those customers are at risk.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jul 072016

Equinox

While driving on the freeway the power to the car was reduced, was barley able to make it to the side of the road. Only had one gear to drive to a safe distance. Had vehicle taken to local repair shop and learned that the transmission was shot and that it had to be replaced. There was no signs or indications of there ever being any issues with the transmission. Vehicle is up to date with all services recommended by Chevrolet. These makes and models need to be recalled for the transmission as I have noticed that this is a common issue with this year, make & model of vehicle.

- Colfax, CA, USA

Jun 272016

Equinox

My 2010 Chevy Equinox started with an oil consumption problem 86,000 miles May 2016 all new pistons, rings, high pressure fuel pump timing chain and seals covered on GM extended warranty. 1 month later the tranny goes 87,000 mi towed car to dealer they are telling me I have no warranty will cost anywhere from $3-5,000. All I read is bad news about this transmission.

- Pleasant Hill, IA, USA

Jun 252016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the vehicle vibrated severely and an unknown sound was heard from the rear of the vehicle. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was operated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle failure mileage was 125,000.

- Camdenton, MO, USA

Jan 092016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. While entering a major highway, the transmission failed and the vehicle drastically reduced speed. The contact had to quickly coast the vehicle over to the side of the road where it was unable to be driven. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The contact was waiting to hear back from the manufacturer. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 08/16/16

- Roseville, MI, USA

May 262016

Equinox

I bought a 2010 Equinox jan9,2016 from vic canever in fenton mi for 10320 on may26,2016 I just dropped of my son and grandson and was on my way home on the expressway when my transmission all of a sudden went out as I was driving. I almost got into a bad wreck and could of possibly lose my life. When I finally got, Y vehicle towed and inspected at bill's transmission shop in roseville mi I was shown the color of my transmission fluid which was charcoal black and thick. I contacted General Motors and made a complaint and was contacted by mike agnone who's the senior customer service manager and brandon who's the used car manager. I was told I'll have to come up with 2500 to go towards a new transmission. What they don't understand that I'm on a set income and don't have no money. General Motors needs to recall all the Equinox's. I have done my research and found nothing but bad things about them and all years.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Mar 052016

Equinox

I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox and in late March while driving our young children; our transmission blew up. When I say blew up, I mean it literally exploded and my husband started to lose control of the vehicle. We were stranded and had to get it towed. When we brought it into the mechanic he said he would do what he could to try to "re-build" it and perhaps save us some money. Once he opened the hood; he said he could not believe his eyes and said it was not possible to salvage anything about this transmission and we pd.$4,000 to get this part repaired. He mentioned he had never seen anything like it in 30 years. When I went online I saw several different people with the same issue for the same make and model transmission. They, and myself have sent concerned letters to GM, however; GM will not hold any accountability for this issue although it has happened to so many. I would hope the large amount of online remarks are enough safety concern to work on opening an official investigation to get a recall on this. My truck can be replaced; my children cannot. I do not believe GM has acted in accordance with the national traffic and motor vehicle Safety Act by initiating a safety recall. I feel an obligation to reach out to try to help others with the same situation to try to prevent dangerous accidents and save lives that could be taken as a result to this faulty transmission explosion.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Feb 172016

Equinox

The transmission failed in our 2010 Chevrolet Equinox with roughly 78K mile on it. We originally bought the car brand new in fall of 2009. My wife was driving it near a school when the car lunged forward. She came to a stop sign and then tried to accelerate, but the car didn't go anywhere as the engine just revved like it was in neutral. We had it towed to the dealership. The dealer stated it would need a new transmission which would cost $4,150. Called GM who stated the most the most cost assistance they could provide was $1546 which is based off a calculator they use since the powertrain warranty was expired. The senior advisor for GM that I spoke with stated the transmission shouldn't have failed, but that they couldn't replace the transmission for free since there was no open recall yet for the transmission. I researched google and found many other complaints from vehicle owners of the same make and model regarding their transmission failing also. I then discovered that the 2008 and 2009 models had the exact same transmission as our 2010 model. I read that GM had issued a recall and extended a warranty in March 2015 for the 2008 and 2009 models due to the transmission problems. No recall or extended warranty has been issued yet for the 2010 model. Very disappointed that GM hasn't issued a recall yet for 2010 model when knowing that the same transmission in the 2010 model is having the same exact problems as the 2008 and 2009 models.

- Litchfield, IL, USA

Feb 202016

Equinox

Exited freeway on flyover, accelerating from 20-25mph on the downgrade to other freeway noticed that while speed had increased to 45-50mph, RPM's were high. Immediately pulled over, shifted to P, idled normal. Merged back in, again got high rpms, turned on hazard flashers, took off-ramp. Shifted to manual, gear indicator showed '2' and would not manually upshift to '3'. pulled over, turned off car, waited 30 secs, restarted. Cautiously got back on frontage road, drove for 1 mile in 'd' at 30mph, seemed ok, got back on highway, gently accelerating up to 65mph. Drove the next 6 miles on highway, exited for neighborhood. Drove down primary boulevard at 35mph for 2 miles. Turned at 5mph to start accelerating up steep hill into neighborhood, immediately felt slippage and high-revs. Pulled over, waited for clear traffic, switched to manual shift, accelerated up hill in 1st, no problem; shifted to 2nd at 20mph, no problem; shifted to 3rd at 30mph, immediately high revs and slippage; switched back to 2nd; accel'd to 35mph in 2nd then shifted to 4th, engine lugged down but held and continued to accelerate and hold speed no problem. Shifted back to 3rd, started slipping and high revs again. Switched back to 2nd and drove last mile to house at 25mph. Drove uphill past house, turned around in neighbors driveway, noticed a loud 'whining' noise, like a tight fan belt or idler that is about to seize. Parked, whining noise continued. Revved engine a couple of times, noise went up/down with RPM. Turned off, went inside to research. Found that this is a known issue on older vehicles w/ 6T70/6T75 transmission. The 35R wave plate is known to shatter. GM has issued "#14404: Special coverage adjustment - transmission clutch wave plate - (Mar 3, 2015)". only covers older 2007-09 vehicles, this is a safety issue, should cover all vehicles w/these transmissions exhibiting this behavior.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 142016

Equinox

I was parked at local eatery, engine off. Came out, started car, put in reverse and proceeded out of parking spot. Reverse worked fine. Put car in drive and nothing happened. It was like the car was in neutral and not drive. The engine revved but the car would not move. Tried several times to no avail. Had it towed to Chevrolet dealer. I had no indication of any trouble, no leaks, no strange noises, just the quiet revving of the engine when given the gas.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Jan 112016

Equinox

On the way to work in my 2010 Chevrolet Equinox, on a Friday morning, pulling out to the highway my car did not want to shift and the check engine light came on. Then it would not go into drive or reverse. After it was turned off and sat for a wile it went into gear. I then went by a local auto store and they read the code as P0717 and P0700 that had to do with the transmission. I would have to contact the dealer for further info. Got back to work and called the dealer and was told they could not see me until late Monday or Tuesday. So all weekend I drove it, light was no longer on, thought everything was okay. Forward Monday afterwork, at stop sign and started to pull out and the car would not go into gear. No reverse either, coasted down the hill to side street and turned off the engine and after setting a few minutes it went into gear, but only lasted a short while and was stranded again. Had to call for a tow and used tranco transmission. They called and said the wave plate had broke which had caused more damage and would cost $3400. The repairman said this has happened in a lot of these motors, so I called GM and they said that at this time there is no recall for this. But if they do I can submit my receipt. I'm hoping that if enough people complain that they will take care of this problem. It could have been a bad situation, because I had my grandson in the car and we could have gotten hit trying to pull out at the stop sign and not been able to get out of the way because the car wouldn't change gears. Just google wave plate in a 2010 Equinox and see how many complaints you see. When I pay my bill, I will upload the reciept.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Dec 292015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle jerked and failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be rplaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Maineville, OH, USA

Nov 232015

Equinox

My car's transmission failed just over 100000 miles. There was no indication that something was wrong prior to failure. The transmission always shifted rough intermittently, but from what I read, this was not uncommon with this vehicle. As a result, I never pursued the matter. I bought the car new. 100000 miles out of a transmission on a car gently driven unusual. The transmission failed after I exited the freeway, sitting at a stop sign. I went to accelerate and barely got any power. Several noises like something snapping or breaking and liquid spraying occured. With almost now acceleration I made it to a parking lot where I shut the car off. Reverse, to my surprise, no longer worked when trying to straighten up the car in the parking lot.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 242015

Equinox

While approaching a stop at an intersection, my car slipped out of gear and began shaking and pulsing as I slowed to a stop. I pulled my car into an empty lot where I discovered I couldn't back up my car. It was towed to the dealer where they informed me the wave plate(35R plate) was damaged and would need to be replaced for a cost of $4,200. Service director at the dealer indicated that this was common in these types of transmissions and that there is no indication of when the failure might occur. Fortunately, I was traveling at a low rate of speed with no cars around me and was not involved in an accident, only left with a terribly expensive repair.

- Vernon, NJ, USA