ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2010 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2010 Chevrolet Equinox (Page 2 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

8.3

$3,370

2. replace engine (22 reports)
  3. engine rebuild (10 reports)
  4. repair/replace rings (5 reports)
  5. replace catalytic converter (2 reports)
  6. replace timing chain (2 reports)
2010 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox:

2010 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 272016

Equinox LS 2.4L 4 cyl

Called the dealership that sold it to me to check the vin and they said there was no problems with the oil consumption. They wouldn't run the test to see if it had oil consumption. Thankfully another GM dealership took in the vehicle, ran the test and realized it was a recall and had the problem fixed.

- Audra Z., Nicktown, US

May 012017

Equinox LS 2.4L

Excessive oil consumption 1 qt every 2,000 miles and getting worse fast

- Roy U., Vernon, BC, Canada

Apr 012014

Equinox LS 2.4L

Bought the car new. So many recalls. Started to have excess oil consumption around 50000 miles. I was busy in school and after father insisted I take it in for repair there was a large leak identified from crankshaft which I paid out of pocket. Oil consumption continued. At 70,000 miles April 2017 the engine seized and had to be towed to dealer. Was told I need a new engine that would cost $6800. This 2.4L is know to have serious failure issues which include a recall issued September 2014

- Ed A., Wheeling, WV, US

Mar 062017

Equinox LX

I purchased the car in 2015 and car is 2010. I have only driven vehicle for just over 60,000 KM and just at 1.5 years, car has been burning oil like no tomorrow. Twice I went for servicing to discover that no oil was reading on the dip stick and oil changes were within 4-5 months from one another. One of the times was just recently even though I barely drive the vehicle.

I work and live downtown and I walk to and from work every day. Car is driven very little. Even though no oil was reading on the dip stick, no engine lights come on to indicate low or empty oil and oil life still reads at 24 % My motor plan purchased was for 36 months or 60,000 KM and low and behold, just after 60,000 KM, my engine fails but one should have seen the issue at the start but dealership looked past it. Its absolutely pathetic that after driving the vehicle for 2 years to the date and the engine is gone !

I stuck to my servicing from the day I purchased the vehicle until the day the engine died ! what was the point, the engine was maintained but it died anyway. I just had the car for servicing last week and then 1 week later, I am bringing the car back to the dealer as it will not start. This is just after the fuel injectors were cleaned and then spark plugs changed along with the regular servicing of oil and such. I drive the car 2 times in 7 days and when I go to start the car for the 3rd time in 7 days, it will not start and will not turnover!

The week that I put the car on an oil consumption plan, the engine dies ! How ironic and how ironic, just after the motor plan that covers bumper to bumper expires due to KM's. On top of it all, the majority of the KM driven were highway driving and the past year, the car sits in a parkade more times then its actually driven !

- Shannon A., Edmonton, AB, Canada

Sep 202016

Equinox LTZ

1 week after I bought this 2010 Equinox I had a 600.00 repair ,then oil consumption problem where Chevy replaced the engine, I have had tie rods bushing, brakes, bearings, cracked manafold repaired now it's in the shop for a front differential replacement !! IT HAS BEEN NOTHING BUT PURE AGRAVATING HELL!!!! I used to BELEIVE in CHEVY AND WOULD BUY NOTHING BUT A GMC, THIS HAS CHANGED MY MIND !!

- Cindy B., Rockford, IL, USA

Apr 012015

Equinox

I always get my oil changed on time at my dealership. I noticed a knocking sound about 2000 miles into one of my oil changes. I checked it and it was dry of oil. I thought that maybe someone forgot to put the plug back in when they changed the oil. I put oil in it and brought it back to the dealership. They checked it out and said everything was fine. The technician told me that it was normal for an older vehicle to use some oil.......it wasn't even 5 years old and it was DRY! After about 2,000 miles, it did it again, the engine knock was so loud, I though something was going to shoot out of the engine. I called the dealership and the technician then told me not to worry because there was always a few quarts of oil in the oil pan even if it wasn't touching the stick. I guess because I was a girl, they thought I didn't know anything.

I Googled the issue and found that there was an extended warranty up to 120,000 miles on this issue because there was a flaw in the engine and this issue was very common with this vehicle. I produced my findings to the tech and then I had to do an Oil Consumption Test. I had to come in every 1000 miles to see how much oil it had used. The dealership did an engine rebuild and replaced the rings and several other parts.

My thing is, if there is a flaw in the engine and they replaced the parts, how do I know that the issue wont return after the 120,000 miles and then I have to spend over $5,000 to replace engine? I'm getting close the 120,000 miles and now everything else in the car is breaking. Never again Equinox, never again.

- Ruby D., Reidsville, GA, USA

Jun 292016

Equinox

Bought the vehicle from CarMax in April 2015, just a little over 1 year ago. In December 2015 (just 8 months into owning it), we were told it had a leaking head gasket that was causing oil to spew. GM was "nice" and allowed us a deductible since it was just barely outside of the 5 year powertrain...$2000 to replace the head gasket and timing kit. Started having problems with it running hard and stuttering. I kept getting told that it just burns through a lot of oil. Every time I took it to get the oil changed, they told me I was a quart or more low on oil, but there was no leak. Replaced spark plugs which were worn. Again, running rough and stuttering. Took it to my local mechanic who ruled out transmission, but suggested we take it back to Chevy since they did so much work on it before. Took it to Chevy, who told me that there are 5 OPEN SPECIAL COVERAGES on it! One of which is excessive oil consumption! Took it in for their oil consumption test, and it wasn't deemed excessive yet. Therefore, Chevy won't fix it. What's the fix? Replace the pistons. The pistons!!!! So, I basically have to wait until it starts going through quarts and quarts of oil and further destroy the engine. They did, however, replace the engine balancing chain, timing chain (again), and high pressure fuel pump. It's so upsetting. We don't have a lot of money to throw around in the first place. I will never buy another Chevy ever again. Please don't buy the 2010. There is no lemon law for used cars in our state. It's upsetting to know that Chevy KNOWS this is a crappy engine, but refuses to do the repair unless it's to the point of being dangerous.

- christys, Bealeton, VA, USA

Apr 222016

Equinox LX 3.2L

Took the car in at 3800 miles, it was making a lot of noise. No 'idiot' lights came on or anything. Mechanic said engine will make that kind of noise when there is no oil in the engine. Got the Oil change- How can 3800 miles burn all the oil. Took it back for a check at 967 miles, needed another quart. Just took in again at 1016 and needed another quart.

- Dorothy S., Pennsauken, NJ, USA

Nov 172015

Equinox

Surprised that a vehicle purchased for the fuel economy consumed so much oil. Getting it changed/checked every 10 days - 2 weeks

- audnj, High Bridge, NJ, USA

Sep 162015

Equinox

It started to happen at about 75000 miles, GM had extended the warranty to 10yr /100,000 miles but would not replace the engine. The dealership would keep a log of the oil use. In the summer months it used a quart every 2k miles, in the winter months it only had a quart left after 2k miles. They talked me into some minor repairs that might fix it, but it never did. When it hit 100,000 miles, we traded it in on a different vehicle, problem solved!

- joeyspcs, Wadena, MN, USA

Apr 012016

Equinox

It started with an oil consumption recall, which I had to bring my car back every 1000 miles for 4000. As someone who works, this can be tough. If you miss going at exactly 1000 and don't get the car back to the dealership until 1200, you have to start over again........ F THIS...

So, from this delay-with something that just should be fixed,, since it is a recall- My catalytic converter went.. I was told one had nothing to do with the other, I call BS. All work together and the over heating and burning of oil had to have played into this issue. Under 100, 000 miles and they want me to spend 2100 for it on my pre-owned Equinox. No thanks and I will never purchase another Chevy..

- Douglas W., Turnersville, NJ, USA

Apr 202016

Equinox LTZ V4

In January I had to have the engine replaced due to the timing chain being stressed. But ever since I bought this car (March 2014) it's been burning through oil, I get an oil change every 3,000 miles, but beforehand I have to add 1 to 2 quarts because it's low. Now this Jan 31, 2016 after I replaced the engine the check engine light kept coming on and driving very rough and loud. I brought to Gengras Chevy in East Hartford CT on March 21, 2016 because it was driving rough and loud and kept stalling, they said it was low on oil and that’s why it was doing that, I paid $168.23 for the diagnostics and an oil change (and that is with a discount they gave me because they broke the latch to my center armrest last time it was in the shop). Then 1 month later it is doing the same thing but more frequently, it cut off on me 10 times while driving home in rush hour traffic. I brought it directly to the dealer on April 20, 2016 and today (4/22) they said they have to replace the cylinder pistons and rings (but it's covered under some special factory warranty that’s up to 120,000 miles), and that due to that the cam shaft actuators need to be replaced and they need to do something to the timing chain but that isn't covered by warranty and will cost me $480.

- Tonya V., East Hartford, CT, USA

Mar 012016

Equinox 4 CYL

My retired mother who is 74 bought a 2010 chevy equinox thinking it would last her for at least 10 years or 125,000 miles or so. At 50,000 miles the vehicle, after being serviced regular, is using at least 3 qts of oil between changes. You shouldnt even have to check the oil between changes, you dont have to on import brands. This is completely unacceptable and GM should defend their reputation by replacing this lemon with an equal valued known good vehicle. At this point I would not recommend any GM vehicle over Imports.

- Travis K., Hope, AR, USA

Nov 012015

Equinox 2.4L

As others have reported I am using a quart of oil every 2,000. Car is running rough, especially when in park. Sounds like the car wants to stall. When I turn the car off it still runs for a few seconds. Other wise I love the car. I have contacted Chevy customer service department. I am curious as to what they are going to do if anything.

- Carla J., Ferndale, MI, USA

Jun 012015

Equinox

So after Chevy sent out warning that the vehicle may have issues with oil consumption. It was always low on oil even a week or two after I had it changed, I would need to be topped off due to it being low. I don't drive around with quarts of oil to keep it filled nor should I have to. After then engine failed due to operation on low lubrication. I had to have it replaced and my extended warranty company covered a small amount I paid $5,700 for my engine to be replaced. NOW 2 months after my oil stick was bone dry. I can accept oil change time but not empty AGAIN!!!.

- Christopher H., San Antonio, TX, USA

May 152015

Equinox LT 2.4L

Car has less than 65000km and to do a ring job you kidding me.

- Mauro H., Surrey, BC, Canada

Oct 052012

Equinox LT2 2.4L

Engine was chugging terrible, dealer replaced the motor no questions asked. Please see my next complaint for the real issue. Engine went bad again at 100k miles, told us the warranty is out. Turns out their fuel pumps were destroying engines, but they don't care. They said we have to pay for our new engine, more engines than tires at this point. Avoid this thing like the plague.

- Jon F., Manchester, NH, USA

Jan 152016

Equinox LT2 2.4L

Had the engine replaced at 42k miles, no problem, covered under warranty for excessive oil consumption. Unfortunately the new motor was just as terrible as the first, now at 100k miles it's junk and they claim we are on the hook. They said our warranty is up. GM knew about a fuel pump issue, but never fixed it and never did a recall, this ruined our second engine. I was a big time GM guy and unless they fix this I will not only never buy a car from them again, I'll be telling everyone I can to stay away from them, how terrible! Things like this destroy people's lives, I don't have money to replace engines because GM can't stand behind their product.

- Jon F., Manchester, NH, USA

Aug 012013

Equinox LTZ 2.4L

The issue of the oil leakage has been going on for a number of years, with the response from GM Chevy garage, "base on the maintenance manual" you will lost about 1 quart of oil in-between oil changes. That is all good except it is more like 2-3 quarts in my situation. I am just tired of paying for additional oil every oil change for the past 2 years to only hear it is in the acceptable range. They are not interested in rebuilding or replacing the engine which is what needs to happen. This has been documented at the dealership with no results. Help!

- Fred M., Springfield, OH, USA

Jun 012010

Equinox LT1 2.7L 4-cyl

Bought my 2010 Equinox new. Really like the car, except for the oil consumption problem. Engine used a quart of oil each 1,000 miles. I put up with it for several years. Then, at 50,000 miles, I took it to Bridgewater Chevrolet. Oil consumption test showed excessive oil consumption. Dealer replaced the pistons and rings under warranty. That was 1,000 miles ago. Engine shows no sign of excessive oil consumption now. Should have done this 5 years ago, but I had heard that GM was resistant to making needed repairs when the problem was first being discovered. Now, I assume, with a mountain of evidence and complaints, GM is doing the right thing and repairing engines under warranty. If you own this car and have an oil problem, don't wait. Take it to the dealer for test and repair. The dealers have a bulletin from GM about the issue, so they are expecting to hear from you.

- zoombag5, Morristown, NJ, USA