ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2002 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu:

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 7 of 9)

Jun 192006

Would not start.

- Gray., ME, USA

Aug 152010

Malibu 6-cyl

Own 2002 Chevy Malibu. The security interlock kicks in frequently. I have to wait 10 minutes while the car resets, only then may I start the car. (kinda similar to the fuel pump shutting off if a rear end bump occurs-safety). Strangely too, I hear an electrical sizzling sound just over and behind the radio. This is affecting my turn signals from working. I hit the safety flasher button and the sizzling noise stops, and the turn signals may or may not operate. Somehow the radio, the security system, and the turn signals are "wired" together, and the car thinks someone is stealing my radio, causing the security interlock to kick in. That's when I have to turn the key to on, than wait 10 minutes for the security system to reset. Only after 10 minutes may I restart the car (this is in the owners manual). This happens frequently. I think there may be a link in here somewhere the my car battery is draining while the car sits. Something relating to my radio(so it doesn't get stolen), and security system are causing the "no start" interlock to kick in.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Jul 022010

Malibu

Passlock - theft system activates and will not allow you to start the car it occurs 2-3 times a week took it to garage - they reset the system - still does the same thing over and over - did not fix the problem 2002 Chevy Malibu.

- Morris, PA, USA

Jul 192010

Malibu

I have a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu ls and the passlock/ anti-theft system has kept my car from starting on several occasions. In re-searching this problem online I've found that there are several other complaints on the same issue. If this is a common complaint, it makes sense that GM should have to cover the expenses the fix the problem.

- Lewisport, KY, USA

Jul 012010

Malibu

I just bought a used 2002 Chevy Malibu. It only had 72,000 miles on it so I thought I was getting a great deal. Little did I know that it would leave me sitting, not starting, about once or twice a month! now I find out that many other people have this problem. I also found the work around of letting your car sit in the on position for ten minutes. If Chevy knows this, why don't they fix it? I may never buy another Chevy. I can not believe they are not standing behind their product. I'm tired of stressing every time I go some place and shut my car off, wondering if it's going to start.

- Perris, CA, USA

Dec 012009

Malibu

Own a 2002 Malibu with 95K miles. Since December of 2009 the car does not start all the time. Once you turn the car off the car will not restart. You have to wait for at least a half hour before the car will start again. This has happened at least once a month since December and in June it has happened four times. Have taken it to my mechanic three times and they cannot duplicate the problem. Did not know what the problem really was until viewing all the similar complaints on NHTSA website.

- Seven Hills, OH, USA

Jun 142010

Malibu 6-cyl

Passive alarm system malfunction. Theft alarm led comes "on" while driving. There were reports of car dying while driving, see the link www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2003/Chevrolet/Malibu/electrical+system. Consumers spend hundreds of dollars and great inconvenience not knowing why the cars does not start or stopped running.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

May 252010

Malibu

I own a Chevy Malibu 2002. The problem is the anti-theft system. The anti-theft system shuts down the fuel injectors and the car won't start. I have to put the key in the ignition in the on position for 10 minutes to reset the computer. Sometimes this will take more than 1 attempt. This happens on a regular basis for no reason. There are thousands and thousands of dissatisfied customers who are currently experiencing this problem. Also many after market parts claiming to disable the anti-theft system to try to satisfy customers. I purchased this vehicle in October 2001 and have had this problem for years. I only wish I had found out about this site sooner to voice my concerns. Please do some research. There should be a better way to fix this issue than to disable the system.

- Byhalia, MS, USA

Jan 012010

Malibu

2002 Chevrolet Malibu turn signal intermittently working/not working. This situation poses a safety risk when not working properly.

- Wheation, IL, USA

Mar 152010

Malibu 6-cyl

I drive my car and it cuts off. Try to start it but cranks no start. Bought new battery no start. Smell fuel. Don't know what it is afraid to drive.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Apr 052010

Malibu

2002 Chevy Malibu, failure to start. Towed to repair show, determined it is a bad anti-theft sensor that is preventing me from driving my own car, using official Chevy key, but not starting. Cost $575 to tow and repair. Scam. Why is Chevy putting such a device in the car that is obviously faulty and serves no purpose whatsoever expect to scam people out of their money.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Mar 152008

Malibu

I had to get the "ignition locking system" fixed 2 times in the same year at $600 each time. My car would not start so I would get it towed then when it got to the auto place it would start right up. This happened 3 times before I finally had to bring it to the place I bought the car and have it put on the machine to find out what was wrong. Then the same thing happened 13 mon. Later and it was not covered under warranty because it was more than 12 mon. I called the recall place and they said there was not a recall on it but I still think it definitely is a recall. This car has cost me alot of $ in repairs.

- Wrightstown, WI, USA

Mar 152010

Malibu

The theft system keeps turning on and I cant find out what is triggering it and it happens frequently the car will not start unless the key is in the on position for 10 minutes.

- Hollister, CA, USA

Mar 072010

Malibu 6-cyl

Without warning, car suddenly will not start. Anti-theft system will activate when trying to start car. It appears that the ignition does not recognize the car key. Seems it thinks someone is trying to still the car. This first happened in the summer of 2009. It just happened again on 3/7/2010. In both cases the car had to be towed to a repair shop. The first shop was an independent repair facility. They reset the computer that controls the ignition system. The second shop was the dealer. They reset the computer that controls the ignition system. Then, they replaced the BCM unit and the ignition key cylinder. I've done some background checking on this type of problem. Many, many owners of this make & model (Chevy Malibu) have had this same issue.

- La Grange, GA, USA

Mar 102009

Malibu

2002 Chevy Malibu has a faulty passlock system that disables the vehicle about 25% of the time when a valid key is inserted into ignition. Safety issue if person needs medical attention, if in dangerous area, or if car needs to be started and refuses to do so because of faulty part. I have found a workaround that has seemed to work for me. Place key in ignition, turn to "on" position. Open driver's side door and wait until warning chime comes on. Then turn car on as normally. Seems like the passlock system has a hard time registering if there is a key. Anyway, this is simply unacceptable on GM's part and I sincerely believe a recall should be issued for this problem.

- Devon, PA, USA

Dec 062009

Malibu

The theft system of my 2002 Chevrolet Malibu periodically is triggered for unknown reasons. It happens fairly often up to several times a month - most recently twice today, 6 December 2009. To correct this issue I have to set my car in the "on" position for ten minutes while the system resets. This is very inconvenient (if I was on my way to an appointment or job) or could be quite dangerous &/or life threatening (trying to get family member to the er or trying to escape an attack of some kind). Chevrolet needs to do an investigation & recall whatever is causing this fault in their cars.

- Portland, OR, USA

Aug 172008

Malibu

Intermittent fault in turn signals on my 2002 Chevy. Malibu. Nothing happened to create this problem, they just stopped working. Now I have to use my hands as turn signals.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 012009

Malibu

2002 Chevy Malibu, 80,000 miles brakes always noisy even when new..brakes and calipers have to be replaced every 2-3 months with minimal use......hazard light and turn signal failure...works intermittently.....ignition lock-out....could not start car or remove key from the ignition....lower intake manifold gasket failure......left headlamp field of vision narrow and short.

- Liverpool , NY, USA

Nov 012009

Malibu

For the past few weeks, my car has had a problem starting up. I had someone look at it and he said there is a problem with the theft system. When I try to start the car, it will not do anything. I have to wait until the theft light goes off before the car even starts. I thought that seemed strange but after reading other complaints I see that I am not the only on having that problem.

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Oct 252009

Malibu

The passlock system on my 2002 model Malibu has failed several times causing my daughter and grandchild to be "stuck" at different locations away from home. The system even failed during her driving one day which could have been a very bad situation for her as well as other drivers. Luckily, she was able to control the car as it completely shut down. I took the car to Chevrolet and they told me the fuse box had shorted out due to rain (?) as well as the ignition switch was screwed up. Anyway, over the course of 1 year, I spent a total of approximately $1700 in so called repairs until I found out about the 10 minute trick. Nevertheless, the 10 minute trick turned out to be a 1 hour trick just yesterday. And Chevrolet won't fix the problem"!?!"! this is a nuisance and dangerous as well.

- Waldorf, MD, USA