2011 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Malibu:

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Feb 022011

Malibu

I was driving and when I went over a small hill the car seemed to lose power. The service /ESC message came on. I was barely able to get to the side of the road the car was running but would not move at all. It had no power whatsoever. When I called onstar they said to shut it off for a minute and turn it back on to see if the code would clear. It didn't so I called a tow truck to tow it to banks Chevrolet (nh). After sitting in the car for about an hour with the engine running (it was February and very cold out) the tow operator arrived. I shut the car off for about 3 minutes, he then started it and low and behold the message was gone the car had power and he proceeded to drive it on the tow truck. The garage had the car for several days trying to recreate the problem. They could not. They said a service bulletin did go out about this problem. I will admit it does make me nervous the car was 1 month in my possession when this happened not even 1500 miles on it. I now have 7500 miles and no problems since then. It could have been catastrophic if I had been merging onto the highway and lost power at a high speed-thank-god that didn't happen!!! but really no resolution they couldn't find out what caused it they did however give me some song and dance about things loosening up from going over bumpy roads. Well I live in the northeast so that is pretty unavoidable.

- Belmont, NH, USA

Jul 172011

Malibu

I have a 2011 Malibu, I changed my tires out on my car and tire pressure low light came on, then 3 days later service ESC light came on, an I instantly felt like I was in a wrong gear, power and speed reduced, thankfully I wasn't in heavy traffic, I'm under the 5 year warranty can I get service, and is it dangerous for me to drive.

- Lake Jackson, TX, USA

Jun 182011

Malibu

From my wife: After two prior trips in the same day (36 miles and 16 miles round trip respectively), my 3rd occasion to start the car was met with a glaring warning message on the digital display that said "engine power reduced". it was followed by "service ESC/traction control". I was puzzled by this when after that both the check engine light and the traction control light came on and stayed on. I was incredibly thankful to not have to get on the highway, but had to go to get to a performance. The engine had barely any power and it was as if the transmission was frozen. I had to creep along with drivers tailgating me because I couldn't go any faster than about 30 mph. As soon as I reached my destination (only 4 miles away), I contacted my husband so he could come to get the car when he got back from his errand. From husband and primary driver of car: I arrived to drop off another car for my wife and I experienced the same problems with the same scrolling messages and sluggish response. I called onstar and their diagnosis said to have the vehicle towed because there was a problem with the throttle. When I called to arrange a tow back to Chevy, I was told that it's a built in safety feature of the car so that drivers can't inadvertently do more damage to the vehicle. Today the brookdale Chevrolet (mn) dealer said they couldn't replicate the problem and that I could either pick the car up, or they would keep it one more day to see if they could "replicate" the problem to identify and fix the issue. I told them I could not keep a car that was unsafe to drive. If my wife or I had been driving in this vehicle at high speeds when the engine power was reduced, it could have had the potential to cause an accident. Please investigate this problem further. I've seen other complaints online regarding the same issue.

- Circle Pines, MN, USA