ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 11 of 13)

Dec 072012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Took truck in for state inspection, truck failed inspection due to rusted brake lines, power steering pump leaking, dealer said it would be $1228.43 to $1420.99 to just fixed the brake lines all lines needed replaced and calipers screws. Power steering pump cost $535 to replace. Poor quality, high cost to fix and lack of safety on GM part for not covering rubber coating or using stainless steel lines to protect our family very discouraged with service tech said these are the prices. What happened to our safety. Brake lines and gas lines should not be made of steel that can corrode and rust out and break. Power steering pump with these few miles should not have gone out. My 1988 Chevy truck never had these problems. There needs to be a recall.

- Rollinsford, NH, USA

Dec 052012

Silverado 1500

Corroded fuel and brake lines resulting in perforation of metal lines and fuel and brake fluid leaks.

- Copley, OH, USA

Oct 082012

Silverado 1500

Server corrosion of the brake lines caused a unexpected brake line failure with no prior warning. Loss of brake fluid caused a total loss of braking, no warning lights where displayed on the dash to let you know of a potential brake failure that was happening.

- Rahway, NJ, USA

Nov 172012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

While waiting in line at hardees drive thru, the brake pedal went all the wall to the floor. Upon inspecting the truck I found all of the brake lines underneath had rusted and one from the master cylinder had rusted all the way thru. I replaced this line with a carbon coated steel that cost only $8.99. However I do feel pretty fortunate because we were headed upon a mountain going deer hunting. I really don't want to think about what could have happened if we were comin off "high knob" and this line had blown. I also think GM is very lucky that someone hasn't gotten seriousy hurt or killed yet but I think it is only a matter of time unless they recall these vehicles and replace all the brake lines with a better grade of steel or a coated steel to protect them from corrosion. Also I read some of GM response to this issue and I would like to reply to them that once a line is blown being front or back the pedal goes to the floor and once the fluid is gone you have nothing but the park brake, if you can actually think about it during all the panic of pumpin the brake pedal trying to get a vehicle to stop. This really is a dangerous problem and these vehicles need to be recalled and all the brake lines replaced.

- Appalachia, VA, USA

Nov 172012

Silverado 1500 6-cyl

Truck failed annual Maine safety inspection because of major corrosion on all brake lines run along frame underneath. (the lines are not yet leaking, but failure is imminent and vehicle is not safe to drive.) cost of repairs is estimated to be approximately $1400 by sullivan tire of scarborough Maine.

- Scarborough, ME, USA

Nov 092012

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Was under the truck few days ago and noticed the brake line to the rear of the truck is seriously corroded, upon further inspection of brake lines, noticed that almost all the steel brake lines on the pickup are seriously corroded and a few under the cab connecting to the ABS module are beginning to leak, this is a serious safety concern and will not drive the truck till I have the time and money to replace them, have not been able to find a replacement part number for them from GM, however classic tube industries makes a stainless steel set that I will be purchasing when the funds allow, till that happens the pickup will not leave the driveway as it is an accident waiting to happen, other then the brake lines I also found the entire chassis to be rusted badly for a 10 year old vehicle!!

- Phillipsburg, KS, USA

Nov 082012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

As I approached a traffic light at 30 mph and attempted to stop, the brake pedal went right to the floor with no warning. I had to vigorously pump it several time to come to a stop and was lucky I was going slowly and there were no stopped cars ahead of me. No warning lights appeared on the dash and still do not if you start the truck. I was close to home and carefully managed to get to my driveway. A large puddle of brake fluid dripped from the driver side beneath the door. When I inspected it from below, I found the brake lines severely corroded where clipped to the frame and one had burst through, causing the leak and loss of stopping ability.

- Cos Cob, CT, USA

Nov 032012

Silverado 1500

I was replacing left front brake caliper and started to bleed the brakes when brake peddle kept going all the way to the floor. I then looked under the truck and under driver side door was a puddle of brake fluid. I found out it was coming from the brake lines that go to the ABS controller. After further investigating brake lines they are all rusted bad, I have own this truck since new cant believe I have to replace all the brake lines on it now.

- Ticonderoga, NY, USA

Oct 252012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brake lines under hood at drivers side rusted hole in line caused brake failure.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Aug 042012

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I was on my way to the autoparts store for an oil filter for my other vehicle when I came upon a light at a busy intersection. As the light changed to yellow I hit my brakes and the pedal went right to the floor. I was doing no more than 30 at this time. There was no way that I could stop, I drifted through the intersection and was able to drift to safety. I was lucky - another car was also about to turn left in front of me as I was drifting through the intersection, he stopped so an accident was avoided. Had the vehicle towed and had to have all brake lines replaced. All were rusted and pitted. Paid nearly $900 to have stainless steel brake lines installed. These (stainless steel brake lines) should have been installed by GM at the factory. Manufacturers all use stainless steel for exhaust, why not for brake lines - seems a bit more important to use stainless brake lines. What is the cost differential between cheap steel and stainless - a few extra dollars spent in manufacturing could save someone's life.

- Forest Hill, MD, USA

Sep 172012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brakes failed due to burst line to rear axle; little or no stopping power from front brakes; emergency brake worked for a few minutes but no longer after couple of miles to my driveway. Disassembly revealed E-brake pads had crumbled away inside rear rotors; and all 5 brake lines coming out of ABS unit will need to be replaced, not just rear. Fyi I have owned in excess of 20 G.M. trucks, but none ever as bad as this on brake lines. Daughter in truck with me- this could have turned out very badly. Truck unusable until all lines are fixed- very difficult due to positioning of lines ( I have done many brake lines- on much older trucks). Thanks...

- Barrington, NH, USA

Sep 252012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I took my 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 in to get inspected. It failed due to no parking/emergency brakes. I have never used my parking brake, never been in the where it was needed. I first noticed after removing wheel that everything is rusted beyond what I think it should be at this point, the splash shields are almost completely gone. I removed the drum and brake shoes and noticed that on both sets of shoes, left and right, the pads of the shoes were not really worn, but the actual lining that the shoes are attached to were worn at the very bottom on the drivers side and the very top on the passenger side, both where there are no pads. I followed the directions that came with the new shoes, replaced everything, and still no brakes. I then bought a new cable and swapped it out, thinking the cable may be stretched. Still no brakes. I removed the wheel and drum once again and had someone depress the parking brake. I noticed the actuator working, so I reassembled everything, and still no brakes. I then contacted GM customer service to see if there were any recalls for this problem, I was told that there was not. I was told that I can take my truck to a certified Chevy dealer for them to diagnose the problem, at my expense, being that I haven't been able to find gainful employment in over 3 1/2 years, I can not afford this. I was told there is nothing further that can be done to help me. I have less than 2 weeks for my truck to pass inspection, if not, then I must pay fines and costs when I do reregister my vehicle. How do I get my vehicle to pass inspection when there is obviously a defect in their design. I'm hitting a brick wall everywhere I turn. With all the complaints and problems that I see being posted online, how could there not be a recall. What has to happen for them to take responsibility for this problem.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Aug 312012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Steel brake line rusted through at rear of truck near driver side wheel well. All other steel brake and fuel lines in truck heavily rusted and also near blow out point. When rear line failed, brake pedal went to the floor and stopping distance doubled. I was pulling a 3,000lbs boat at the time. The brake warning lamp did not illuminate. Brake warning lamp came on only after approx 10 miles of no rear brake availability. I am currently taking preventive measures and replacing all steel lines in truck. Old lines available for inspection if you act quickly.

- Lake Villa, IL, USA

Sep 152012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Most recent(9/15/12),brake line ruptures do to tons of rust.... body mounts totally rusted off, rear brake rotor dust shields rusted off, leaf spring shackles rusted thru and fell off..rear bumper rusted thru, total under carriage rusted thru, railsunder doors totally rusted thru and have big holes in them..

- Boonton Twp., , NJ, USA

Sep 142012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

The brake lines on the truck, which is approximately 10 years old are completely corroded. I happened to be pulling into a service station when the driver side front line completely blew out, spraying brake fluid everywhere. I was lucky. The brakes are completely nonfunctional. I could have been killed or killed someone else if I had been anywhere else when this happened.

- Portland, ME, USA

Aug 082012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I had applied the brakes to stop, and the ABS was going on and off and I ended up going thru the intersection, luckily no one else was in the intersection, I found out there was a recall on it in 2005 and the work was done on 1/23/2007, I called Chevrolet to find out that the recall was done they "cleaned" it and hey look 5 years later it does the same thing and GM wont do anything about it. Looks like cleaning really didn't do the job.

- Nowthen, MN, USA

Aug 222012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I was driving on a street in philadelphia, when a couple of children started to cross the street in front of my vehicle, when I applied my brakes the pedal went to the floor. I had to swerve to avoid hitting the children and narrowly missed them and another vehicle. I took the vehicle to my local Chevrolet dealer's service department, and they indicated the metal brake line had deteriorated and rusted thru.

- Doylestown, PA, USA

Aug 192012

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 5 mph, the brakes were engaged but the brake pedal dropped to the floorboard abnormally. The driver was a certified mechanic who inspected the vehicle and discoverd that the brake lines were severely corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- North East, MD, USA

Aug 092012

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet silverado1500. While driving approximately 5 mph, the contact depressed the brake pedal however the pedal abnormally dropped to the floorboard.the contact was able to stop the vehicle without incident. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact inspected the vehicle and discovered that the brake lines were severely corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 26,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Aug 012012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Driving 45 mph. Needed to apply brakes. No brake at all. I was able to down shift and thank god I was goin up a slight grade and no one was infront or close behind. I was able to veer off road and get it slowed in time to turn into the parking lot of the dealer whewre I had purchased my truck 10+ years ago. They said all brakes lines must be replaced. Excessive rust on all. I looked at the line to the left rear wheel after they removed it. It fell apart in the mechanics hand. How it had stopped me is unknown. Brake lines do not do this. I've worked on vehicles for 40 years. Hard brakes lines do not rust like this. The entire brake line is corroded. Not just the top say, from salt. The entire line. I was not able to stop the truck with any remaining brake. Physics stopped my truck. Feet before plowing into a major intersection. I'd love to buy another GM product. Not sure I have the faith that GM wants me to. Thanks GM. How can you bailout of this mess? recall it. I spent good money on a Chevy because a Chevy will last as long as your willing to care for it properly. Now I'm spending in excess of $800 to fix your "low bidder" vendors mistake. Whomever made the brake lines should be bailing me out. Make it right GM. Just make it right.

- La Plata, MD, USA