8.4

2. repaint (3 reports)
  3. complete repaint of all four doors (2 reports)
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 202021

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

I'm a Journeyman Painter/Restorer for 40 years... I worked at Ford in the late 80's and 90's, the mid 80's F-series all had a similar problem. It's from Bad adhesion to the E-coat...

Several causes were found:

1. Production line stops that let the E-coat cure too long without re-scuffing before the topcoat was applied.

2. Mil. thickness of Topcoat (back then most were single stage paint not base/clearcoated).

3. By EPA new standards, ovens had to be turned down to cure paints. ANY OR ALL OF THESE COULD BE TRUE, since Ford would admit NOTHING... GOD!!

We stripped a lot of those old dogs down to bare metal back in the day, or we feathered the old paint down with 180 grit... (what stuck stayed). Then we primed with water-base (as any solvent based material would cause lifting of the remaining paint). After that, the trucks were re-sanded down with DA-280, and 320 scuff pads. In the Booth they were coated with solvent based catalyzed sealer , base-coated and cleared twice.

NOW I'M STUCK... 60 year old, and don't care to relive those days. I'm doing 3 spot-ins on my 2014 Silverado today and it won't stop flaking back!! Mad as Hell at the moment... I spent $50k on this truck in late 2014...

So this current lawsuit needs to include this year also. Other than that... I happy with the Truck... But this may drive me to sell it soon and let someone else deal with it.

- Scott C., Santa Cruz, US

Apr 082016

Silverado 1500 LX 3.2L V6

Bought truck used from dealer who sold it originally, about two months later paint started peeling on doors and hood. Asked dealer about it later and they told me it's out of warranty.

I asked for Chev rep and they kinda of ignored me. Long story short I see a class action suit in process for peeling paint 2015 and up. I also see a lot of 2014 problems also.

2014 should be included. I worked and ran a GMC and Pontiac, Cadillac dealership for years.

Paint is bad from the factory.

- Bob B., Steamboat Springs, CO, US

Jun 092021

Silverado 1500 High Country 5.3L

defective paint job, peeling paint defective paint job, peeling paint

I was washing my truck with the same car wash brush that dealerships use on their lots, (bought through an automotive supplier), when I noticed, what I thought was mud behind the right side rear passenger door of the truck.

When I attempted to wash it off, it became apparent that it was not mud, but, in fact, the paint was flaking off the truck. When I touched the area, the paint kept lifting and flaking from the primer/body.

Over the next week, the flaking continued to spread upwards, from a small spot about the size of a pencil end, to what is evident in the picture, an area of about 3" in total.

- roleon, Ottawa, ON, Canada

Aug 152018

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

I would like to get this fixed but I do not know the channels to get the info I need to get it fixed. I rather it be a recall then having to fix it myself

- Andrew H., Cumberland, US

Aug 012020

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

A truck with $43k sticker and peeling paint? Low miles and parked in garage.

- J H., Missouri City, TX, US

Jul 012020

Silverado 1500 LT V8

defective paint job, peeling paint defective paint job, peeling paint

Bought the truck last year from a dealership. Paint started bubbling on rear passenger door.

Update from Jul 26, 2021: The paint looks like the picture below now

- kinghalifax, Halifax, NS, Canada

Aug 152019

Silverado 1500 High Country 6.2L V8

defective paint job, peeling paint defective paint job, peeling paint

My truck is just over 5 years old and the paint on the drivers side rear door is flaking right off the truck. I called Chevrolet and they advised me to take it to their dealership to have a GM appraiser review the defective paint condition, so I did - He advised that since the truck is no longer under warranty that Chevrolet will not repair the flaking paint, and that I am stuck with the $2,500 estimate to repair. This truck is nearly $60,000 new! There should be no adhesion issues with the paint from the factory. I am not the only one: You can Google "2014 Silverado paint peeling" and there are images of other trucks that match the make, model, year, trim and color which have the same paint adhesion issues in the same location. This issue should have been a manufacturer recall condition, because this issue is clearly a manufacture defect of adhesion of the paint when the paint was applied to the truck in the factory. I have worked very hard to pay top dollar for this truck. I demand resolution from Chevrolet.

- SOVEREIGN C., Somersworth, NH, US

Apr 032019

defective paint job, peeling paint defective paint job, peeling paint

hard to see in the photo's but you can see fairly easy that there are MANY bubbles waiting to break open as the one's lower on the rail have already done. There is a spot on the passenger side of the front fender that is chipping or flaking off as well. Chevrolet has a serious issue w/paint on the 20145/15 trucks by the looks of the posts that I have come across. I reached out to Chevrolet, let's see if they do the right thing or not.....

- Pat D., Saint Paul, MN, US

Aug 012018

Silverado 1500 LT V8

I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado and the paint is chipping in at least a half a dozen area's on the truck. I have read on this site about 2014's having paint issues, did anyone have a solution?? Thank you.

- loganstreet1, Memphis, US

Nov 032018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Paint should not be peeling on a truck this new. Paint and clear coat used is unacceptable.

- Ray S., Lumberton, NC, US

Apr 012018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

Very unhappy with paint job, at 60k miles the paint shouldn't just be chipping off. Especially because vehicle is well maintained by myself, and seems to have been very well maintained by the previous owner.

- kapanka, Ft Stewart, US

Nov 012018

Silverado 1500 LS V8

click to see larger images

defective paint job, peeling paint defective paint job, peeling paint defective paint job, peeling paint

Chevy paint started bubbling. I noticed paint separating from body. Now it is flaking of in the wind. There is no damage, just started bubbling.

- Stacy M., Spring Valley, US

Sep 102018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

Bought the truck in 2016. Paint peeling around doors, windows and bed of truck. After contacting Gm/Chevrolet only willing to pay $600 for a faulty paint job. Apparently chevys craftsmanship is only worth $600. Dealership even told us its excessive peeling. We are loyal Chevy owners and there only willing to pay $600

- Lewis G., Holbrook, US

Feb 012019

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L V8

Bought the truck used back in November 2018 and noticed paint flaking off. Small areas at first, now larger sections are coming off. It's sickening and I'm very disappointed in GM.

- Billy A., Talking Rock, US

Oct 012018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Apparently there is a problem with paint on 2014 Trucks and as I read more, it sounds like the problem will continue to get worse. My truck is 1 year out of warranty on the time, NOT mileage and GM doesn't cover it. And they like to tell you it's because of a rock. I think I get this fixed and sell the Chevy and they've lost a customer forever. It's not about the customer experience any more, it all about $$$$, sad they it's gotten to this point....

- Brian S., Lebanon, TN, US

Jul 072016

Silverado 1500 High Country 5.3L

I just want a solution to the defective paint job. No way a $50,000 vehicle should be chipping or peeling.

- Derrick P., Cleveland, US

Jul 142018

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

I own a 2014 Silverado and as I was washing it today, the paint started peeling off the roof first and then the passenger back door was next. This truck has been very well maintained and I can not believe this is starting. You pay $45,000 for a truck you would expect the paint to last for more than 4 years. This is unbelievable at the least GM has not done anything to correct this issue.

- Misty R., Portland, TN, US

Apr 012018

Silverado 1500 SE 5.E

click to see larger images

This 2014 Chevy Silverado which is silver, that I work my ass off to have, has had more paint fall off of the bottom of the doors then my twenty-five year old Ford. I got the front doors fixed and now it's falling off the back doors and the drivers side of the bed. Can not take having to go back to the body shop again. Something needs to be done by Chevy or GM, this is crazy. I paid way too much for it in the first place and now I have to keep taking off work to go back to the body shop. This is definitely a big problem. I take really good care of it and work my ass off for it, so I have a nice and reliable vehicle and now the only thing I can count on is more paint falling off.

- Carl T., Connellsville, PA, US

Feb 272018

Silverado 1500 LT

We bought the truck brand-new, took extra care of the truck, mainly just hand washing the vehicle. In May of 2017 the paint on the passenger's side right behind the driver was peeling on the door, although it was small paint chips missing and considering that we had purchased the extended bumper to bumper warranty my husband chose to purchase paint and just patched it up.

The next occurrence was in February of 2018 when I took it to the manual car wash. So while washing the truck the paint began to peel away on the hood of the truck. At first I couldn't believe my eyes I brought it home so that my husband could examine the truck and that's when he explained that this was the second occurrence of paint peeling and that we should take it back to the dealer. At first I called GM and put in my complaint I was told to take it back to the dealer with the reference number that was assigned to me. After waiting 4 hours the dealership said they were waiting for a callback from corporate and that they would contact me tomorrow.

The following morning I received a call from the dealership and advised that because the truck was 4 months of out warranty they could not repair the damage. Are you serious a $50k vehicle and the paint starts chipping 2 1/2 years after purchase - the truck was brand new with only 30 miles on it. This is the second Silverado that we've purchased from the dealership, our 2003 Silverado truck never had peeling paint issues (which we still have) so I'm convinced that this is a factory defect. We will be consulting attorney's to see whether this is a possible class action lawsuit.

- Paula S., Montclair, US

Mar 212016

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Dealer fixed door paint peeling first time ,now at 50000 mi the hood and fenders are peeling. they will fix it but i have to pay $500 plus get a rental car for 3 weeks, making the repair well over $1000 for a defect that came from the factory !!!! looks like i have to buy a Ford or Ram next time !!!

- woodblover, Temecula, US