CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 has an early trend of the transmission shifting hard, surging & jerking.

At the moment these trucks are still under warranty. However this transmission problem shows up right away with the average reported mileage only around 3,000 miles, so for now the 2017 Silverado earns our "Beware of the Clunker" badge.

8.0

2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments

Jan 012018

Silverado 1500 Highcountry 5.3L V8

transmission shifts very hard first to second under low power. sometimes hard enough to look if someone bumped the back of truck. I think this will destroy the transmission. dealer says this is normal and there is no fix. I have had and driven a lot of cars and trucks and never a problem like this. when you buy a new vehicle it shouldn't be built with parts the manufacturer knows have defects. not only will this destroy the transmission, its extremely embarrassing when passengers look at you and say what the hell was that. when a pickup carries a list price of nearly 60K it shouldn't have problems that can't be fixed.

- Paul R., maple grove, US

Jun 042019

Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2L

Have had this truck since 2017. Bought it with 7000kms on it. Noticed the heavy hard shift when starting out. Does not do this in other gears. Took it in and the dealership said they could not find the problem but said the new trucks with the 8 speed transmission do the same. They said they drive different. Also said it will take up to 18000 Klms to learn your driving habits. What a crock. I proceeded to email GM to see if they had a fix for this common problem with these transmissions and they emailed me back saying there is no updates for it and take it back to the dealer to have it looked at. Is there any fixes for this problem or is there any other routes I can use to fix this GM problem? Class action lawsuit maybe.

- Ron M., Wetaskiwin, AB, Canada

Jan 082018

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L V8

Has been a pain in the ass because I've been in the dealer for several times asking them to get it fix and they just come and tell me that is normal in these trucks. Here is where I have relax myself to not start saying bad words, everything started since I bought this truck. At the beginning it just made a little clunk on the transmission but after 7000 miles (I traveled to Mexico and once you drives 70 mph no problem) I noticed that when transmission engaged the 2nd gear it practically hammered the whole truck everybody inside the truck was kind of "what the hell is that noise", specially when the engine is still cold, and unfortunately where I live there are speed bumps every 50 feet. So you guys can imagine hearing that stupid noise on every speed bump and every time you stop the truck. Well once the motor gets to the normal temperature it makes the clunk noise less, but sometimes it surprises you where you never expect it. And every time that happens I curse GMC motors and all their crew of idiots, starting with Gold star motors (GMC dealer) in Salinas Ca and Salinas Chevrolet dealer in the same city. They just drive the truck for 2 minutes and they just come to me saying (with stupid face, because they already know there is something wrong with the transmission) "your transmission is OK in these trucks that noise is normal", but when I ask them why they don't tell the possible buyers about the "normal" problem before they buy it, they just say; "oh, we can't do that, you need to talk to the manager to do that. But they just ignore me, so then I ask to talk to the manger which I did, he just said that he can't help me there. He told me that I need to talk to the GMC co. I've been talking with GMC representatives several times and they agree with me but they say that the mechanics from their dealer had to say that there is something wrong, that's the only way, of course this is a tricky circle of pointing fingers. I already took the truck to a private mechanic and he said definitely there is something wrong with the transmission, but he can't touch it because of the warranty. I have several friends with the same truck and the same problem. This is just going to take time but we're going to sue GMC and they're gonna have to pay for everything. Only an idiot can not see that the transmission is not working properly.

- Jesus M., Soledad, CA, US

Apr 072019

Silverado 1500 V8

First vehicle I have ever financed and I feel like, no I know, I have been ripped off. There is no way I'm going to get my money's worth out of this truck.The transmission is crap. I should have stuck to paying cash for less expensive more reliable vehicles! I had planned to drive this truck for a very long time, I don't see that happening now. I wanted to be able to travel out of town worry free, but I can't in this truck. I still have to rent a car for trips, that defeats my purpose in buying the damn truck. I foresee me going into major debt paying for major repairs while still paying payments on the note. I will NEVER buy another Chevrolet!

- Amy A., Forest Park, US

Dec 262017

Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2L V8

I noticed the clunk while test driving the vehicle. I asked my salesman about the issue and he said it just needed broken in. After driving the vehicle for the past year and having had put over 14,000 miles on it, the symptoms are getting worse. When shifting under little throttle, there is a clunk when the transmission shifts from 1-2 and back down from 2-1. Sometimes its just barely noticeable, and others it feels like I've been rear ended. There is always a hesitation when starting from a complete stop, like the transmission is in neutral and then once it hits over 1000 rpms, it jumps into gear.

I've brought my vehicle back to to Chevrolet multiple times and complained, but rarely ever does a technician duplicate the issues. The one time that they did, Chevrolet replaced my transmission valve body and said it was fixed. As soon as I left the parking lot, it did it again. I've been told that GM is working on a fix, and that there is nothing to worry about.

I spent just under $50,000 on this pickup and I think its ridiculous that GM still hasn't fixed a known issue that has been documented since the release of my transmission in 2015. At this point, I'd be willing to go back to a 6-speed transmission that is tune-able and fix it on my own, since the 8-speeds can't be tuned without an unlock service which would void my warranty.

Please GM, fix this issue soon or I'll be switching to a much more reliable FORD.

- Colton K., HENDERSON, NV, US

Jun 222017

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3

Love this truck; I believe it’s just a very low first gear; have not done nothing. Mechanic says remove driveshaft, 15 pumps grease in slip yolk.

All fords are unreliable contraptions. Ram's hemi is gas guzzler.

- crspcritter , Morongo Valley, California , US