2013 Chrysler 200 engine problems: engine stalls/shuts off while driving

Engine Stalls/Shuts Off While Driving

2013 Chrysler 200

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chrysler dealer.

2013 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chrysler 200:

2013 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments

Feb 062015

200 Limited 4d 3.6L V6

I purchase this car New from the dealer 11/12/2012. The problem started around 3 years after I owned it with only having 8,000 miles on it. The engine would SHUTS OFF when stopped or slowing down, mostly in the morning.

After dealing with this for some time, thinking it was the gas or maybe not being warmed up, I tried everything, different gas, gas treatment, making sure the car was warmed up, nothing worked the problems is still there!

I isolated it to being something wrong with this car itself!

I took the vehicle back to the Dealer May 4th, 2016 (Reedman /Toll) and told them about this problem that I’m having with the car’s engine SHUTTING OFF and they said that they could not find the problem but charged me $128 to look at it with it still under warranty and only having13,988 miles on it at this time.

This is a very dangerous problem, I still have the car, still have the PROBLEM with the ENGINE SHUTTING OFF for no reason, and decided to let other people know what I’m dealing with. This needs to be fixed before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Shawn M., Levittown, PA, US

Jul 282017

I am almost 75 years old and not an auto mechanic. My wife and I bought this car so that we could travel across and around this beautiful country. We travel into national parks and other remote places. We travel in extreme weather. So far, the car has not stopped in such places, and our AAA insurance has enabled us to get the car towed to a service station near a motel where we could stay until the car was ready for travel. We are very anxious that the next incident - for which Chrysler has no explanation or solution - could occur when we are least prepared to be alone on the road.

- 8572honeys, Frederick, US

Jun 132017

catastrophic engine failure

I bought car used in 2014, it was 100% reliable in 3 years only issue a flat tire. Till 6-13-17 when on way to work it took fit and died. Diagnostic is locked engine and Chrysler engineering has been contacted. Now if car runs 100% then takes fit and dies at 77 K this has to be a manufactures defect! I maintain my cars my other is a 2001 vehicle still running fine

- LizEllen S., Ashland, KY, US

Nov 012016

200 Limited V6

engine shut down,cut off, starts back up ok, unsafe turning, will cut off.

- Kenneth T., Greensboro, US

Jun 012015

200 V6

My husband was driving in the fast lane on the expressway with out 3 grandchildren in the car and the engine just shut off...they all could have been killed had he not manage to coast the vehicle onto the side of the road...took a trip to take my granddaughter to college 2 hours away and the engine again shut off while driving...because of this malfunction I have to stop driving my car and this is outrageous because I am afraid something will happen to my family if we continue driving. This has happened to us at least 5 times and we have sit for at least 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before the car starts again.

- Carolyn W., Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 012014

200 Limited 3.6L V6

We have been very happy with our 2013 Chrysler 200, 3.6L V6. We have 12,500 miles on the car. This month we are experiencing a stalling problem at slow speeds when getting ready to stop. I checked on line to see if there were any recalls on my 200. There is an NHTSA Campaign Number 13V043000 (Feb 06,2013) that is categorized as Fuel System, Gasoline. This may be the issue but the Chrysler Dealer did not aknowledge this as a recall for my vehicle. This recall is for a gas tank that has a broken control valve in the fuel tank assembly. I think that my problem with the car is one that was discovered two years ago on 2011 Chrysler 200 with 3.6L V6 engines.

My car has shut off when idling or coming to a stop without a warning sign and no dash indicator light. I turned the key to off and restarted the engine. It started right away and I believe that it let me start it while it was still in drive. My car has stalled (4) times in the last week. The NHTSA opened an investigation into stalling problems on June 22, 2012. It covered an estimated 87,288 vehicles. Chrysler announced they had identified a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) defect in their 3.6L engines. The PCM was initiating a purge monitor check while the engine was at idle or slowing down. The Purge resulted in an "overly rich vapor condition that caused the engine to stall". Chrysler developed a software patch which reprograms the PCM. The patch was released as part of a "customer satisfaction program" in September 2012. The NHTSA closed the investigation and did not force Chrysler to issue a recall because Chrysler classified the problem as "LOW RISK".

IT SURE SOUNDS LIKE THE PCM ISSUE IS ALIVE AND WELL IN THE 2013 MODEL YEAR. Hope you can help elevate this problem.

Cliff Huss

- chuss01, Omaha, NE, USA

Nov 012013

200 Limited 3.2L V6

engine turns off when stopped or slow down

This is really bad problem, how can a car just tuen off by itself? I have a 1999 infinity with 250000 miles and has not a single problem. Chrysler is going to kill someone if they dont do something fast!

- aguilar82082, Soledad, CA, USA