8.3

2013 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chrysler 200:

2013 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments

Sep 212020

200

I got my vehicle from carvana and I barely had it for a month and it stopped on me on the highway while taking my son to school. The mechanic said he knew what the problem was, but wasn't able to provide proof sice the problem does not show up on the diagnostic test. So I'm stuck paying for a vehicle I can't afford to fix. I'm not sure it can be fixed. It has stopped on multiple times since. I don't know what to do. I'm wondering why the make and model hasn't been recalled.

- Syreesa R., Cahokia, US

Mar 242021

200 Limited V6

Quit running going down the highway at 55-60 mph. I lose power steering, lights, engine shuts down completely. 1st time was able to restart after about 20 minutes. 2nd time was towed. 3rd time was able to start after 1 hour. 4th time was over night. Was able to push it into a parking lot. Don't have a consistent travel time. 3 miles to 25 miles and between. Took it to a Chrysler dealer and they kept it for 2 days waiting for some kind of warning to appear. Nothing happened , Charged $200 for not being able to find anything. They told me that I could replace this copper piece for $1600 or after market piece for $800, but they can't say it will fix the problem. Said it might be overheating. 3 miles should not overheat. 15 miles should not over heat. I said you been running it for 2 days, should it have overheated by then. They didn't have an answer.

We replaced fuel pump, because someone said that could be the problem. no still happening. Done it about 15 times now, so its parked. guess I will continue paying for it, and let it sit, unless someone can tell us whats wrong. I love the car, but I guess I would not be buying another Chrysler. Too many bad reviews and they know it's happening and can't fix the problem. Waiting until you get in an accident or something.

- Fay P., osseo, WI, US

Sep 242020

200 3.6L

I have had the car in the shop 3 times and issue never fixed. No warning lights, no trouble codes, engine stalls and sets for hours before starting. Can turn on key and engine crank spins but it sounds like there is no compression.

- Robert M., Albuquerque, US

Jan 302021

200 S 3.2L V6

This has happened twice in the past week. I pull up top the exact same stop sign on my way to work and the engine just shuts off. No warning before, during or after. I have been able to put the car in park and it has started right back up. I read online that this is a known flaw. Not happy at all!!

- David M., Mansfield, US

Nov 202020

200 LX 3.6L

Car shut down at top of hill, at a STOP sign, no warning. No problem red lights came on afterward. I ended up almost perpendicular to get it started. Car kept sliding back.

- Tony O., San Francisco, CA, US

Apr 292020

200 S 3.6L V6

I have a 2013 Chrysler 200 with about 135K miles. For about the last 10K miles the vehicle has started to stall when slowing down to a stop. The issue has progressively gotten worse. I would like to fix the issue as I've had no other problems with the car and have owned it since new. I've already replaced the vehicle but I am looking to give it to my soon to be 16 year old. However, I don't feel it is safe to drive. I have done a ton of online research and see there are a lot of people with the same issues. I have yet to see a solution. Please let me know if anyone out there has experienced the problem and has had it resolved. Again, the issue is while slowing to a stop, the engine bogs down and turns off. I feel it's very unsafe for a new driver. If I throw it in neutral or switch to manual, the engine does not shut off. This actually caused me to be rear-ended at a stop light because the driver behind me thought I was going to move and I was actually restarting the engine. Please let me know if anyone has a solutions. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

- ringer07, Otsego, US

Jan 132021

200 Limited 3.6L V6

Vehicle died while driving. No codes, no warning. I lost power steering and power brakes. It will not restart again! Multiple times. Nobody can figure out the problem. Why can they not figure this out?

I can't afford to have it towed and find nothing wrong with it. I have seen this was a recall but only for vehicles made in 2014. Seriously, how can this keep happening and Nobody knows why?! I'll have it fixed if someone knows what I need. But all the mechanics say is without a code they can't help. Unless you have thousands laying around to troubleshoot.

This is complete garbage. Other than that issue this is an awesome car. I love it. But every few months I'm stranded on the side of the road. Not a very good feeling. Time to trade it in. But I won't go Chrysler again because of this. No help from them at all.

- Dennis P., Hustisford, WI, US

Mar 022019

200 Dual Vat 2.4L

My car only has 73,000 miles on it. I get my oil changed every 3000 miles and take good care of it. Last week the engine began to shut off when I was at a stop. It turns back on and drives fine. This issue is getting worse and worse as the days go by. I don't know what to do. I've checked all fluids, and they are good. No lights or indicators come on as well. I saw on the internet this is happening to a lot of 200 owners. What do I do? I feel Chrysler has sold a lot of people lemons, including me!

- John C., Milwaukee, US

Oct 212018

200 3.2L

I'm driving the car and it shuts off in the middle of the road. I couldn't even put it in N to push it off the road. It was the middle of the night on a dark highway. I thank God no car jumped the hill and hit me. I'm starting to think it's too dangerous to drive.

- Peter H., Oakland, US

Jul 062018

200 LX V6

There is a recall for cars made May on in 2013. The car shut off while in motion. No warning. My recommend action is to call Chrysler direct. They recommended to get a diagnostic on car and go from there. They were nonchalant about the issue. It's a very serious issue when for car shuts off while in motion. Luckily I wasn't on the highway.

- Susan O., Easley, SC, US

Apr 042018

200

My car sat all day while I was at work. After getting in at 7:40, drove to the gym about 7-8 miles from my office and the car sat for another hour and a half during my work out, left there and went to the market a block away from the gym. I was in the market for 30 minutes. Immediately leaving the market getting on the main street the car engine light came on and the car just begin to stall in traffic. Grateful that I was in the right lane at the time and I was able to coast partially to the side leaving the drivers rear end still in the right light. Needless to say, drivers were backed up and this could have caused an accident. This continued for at least 1/2 mile trying to get the car to safe place off the road. A young man named Patrick came to help and tried everything possible to get the car moving as there was no reason why this car (purring like a kitten) would just stall. We made sure there was oil in the car, checked all the plugs and the battery was fine as all the electrical(radio, windows, ac and heat) worked fine. The car will start but as soon as you pressed on the gas the car would shut off. I'm at a loss because this happened over a year ago after purchasing it used just 8 months earlier. Then took it to an independent repair station and they could find nothing wrong with the car. Now last night it happened more fierce than the first time and this could have been a really bad accident if I'd been on the expressway in Atlanta. GA. I had the car towed to the dealer in Marietta awaiting a call from them today to tell me whats wrong and how can they fix it. While sitting waiting for my tow last night a friend googled the car symptoms and Chrysler had many of the same complaints across all their models. SMH!!! I hope they do something about this as this can cause serious harm and even fatalities. EXTREMELY CONCERNED IN ATLANTA GA

- Tracey L., Kennesaw, GA, US

Feb 062015

200 Limited 4d 3.6L V6

I purchase this car New from the dealer 11/12/2012. The problem started around 3 years after I owned it with only having 8,000 miles on it. The engine would SHUTS OFF when stopped or slowing down, mostly in the morning.

After dealing with this for some time, thinking it was the gas or maybe not being warmed up, I tried everything, different gas, gas treatment, making sure the car was warmed up, nothing worked the problems is still there!

I isolated it to being something wrong with this car itself!

I took the vehicle back to the Dealer May 4th, 2016 (Reedman /Toll) and told them about this problem that I’m having with the car’s engine SHUTTING OFF and they said that they could not find the problem but charged me $128 to look at it with it still under warranty and only having13,988 miles on it at this time.

This is a very dangerous problem, I still have the car, still have the PROBLEM with the ENGINE SHUTTING OFF for no reason, and decided to let other people know what I’m dealing with. This needs to be fixed before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Shawn M., Levittown, PA, US

Jul 282017

200 3.6L

I am almost 75 years old and not an auto mechanic. My wife and I bought this car so that we could travel across and around this beautiful country. We travel into national parks and other remote places. We travel in extreme weather. So far, the car has not stopped in such places, and our AAA insurance has enabled us to get the car towed to a service station near a motel where we could stay until the car was ready for travel. We are very anxious that the next incident - for which Chrysler has no explanation or solution - could occur when we are least prepared to be alone on the road.

Update from Mar 21, 2019: March 2019. Mileage: 80,000 miles. The car has stalled FIVE times. We have learned not to call for a tow; just wait a half hour or more and the car will restart. So we don't call AAA, don't have it towed. We just wait. Is this that you expect your Chryslers to do? Do you really think I am going to buy another Chrysler?

- Don H., Frederick, US

Jun 132017

catastrophic engine failure

I bought car used in 2014, it was 100% reliable in 3 years only issue a flat tire. Till 6-13-17 when on way to work it took fit and died. Diagnostic is locked engine and Chrysler engineering has been contacted. Now if car runs 100% then takes fit and dies at 77 K this has to be a manufactures defect! I maintain my cars my other is a 2001 vehicle still running fine

- LizEllen S., Ashland, KY, US

Nov 012016

200 Limited V6

engine shut down,cut off, starts back up ok, unsafe turning, will cut off.

- Kenneth T., Greensboro, US

Jun 012015

200 V6

My husband was driving in the fast lane on the expressway with out 3 grandchildren in the car and the engine just shut off...they all could have been killed had he not manage to coast the vehicle onto the side of the road...took a trip to take my granddaughter to college 2 hours away and the engine again shut off while driving...because of this malfunction I have to stop driving my car and this is outrageous because I am afraid something will happen to my family if we continue driving. This has happened to us at least 5 times and we have sit for at least 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before the car starts again.

- Carolyn W., Chicago, IL, US

Aug 012014

200 Limited 3.6L V6

We have been very happy with our 2013 Chrysler 200, 3.6L V6. We have 12,500 miles on the car. This month we are experiencing a stalling problem at slow speeds when getting ready to stop. I checked on line to see if there were any recalls on my 200. There is an NHTSA Campaign Number 13V043000 (Feb 06,2013) that is categorized as Fuel System, Gasoline. This may be the issue but the Chrysler Dealer did not aknowledge this as a recall for my vehicle. This recall is for a gas tank that has a broken control valve in the fuel tank assembly. I think that my problem with the car is one that was discovered two years ago on 2011 Chrysler 200 with 3.6L V6 engines.

My car has shut off when idling or coming to a stop without a warning sign and no dash indicator light. I turned the key to off and restarted the engine. It started right away and I believe that it let me start it while it was still in drive. My car has stalled (4) times in the last week. The NHTSA opened an investigation into stalling problems on June 22, 2012. It covered an estimated 87,288 vehicles. Chrysler announced they had identified a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) defect in their 3.6L engines. The PCM was initiating a purge monitor check while the engine was at idle or slowing down. The Purge resulted in an "overly rich vapor condition that caused the engine to stall". Chrysler developed a software patch which reprograms the PCM. The patch was released as part of a "customer satisfaction program" in September 2012. The NHTSA closed the investigation and did not force Chrysler to issue a recall because Chrysler classified the problem as "LOW RISK".

IT SURE SOUNDS LIKE THE PCM ISSUE IS ALIVE AND WELL IN THE 2013 MODEL YEAR. Hope you can help elevate this problem.

Regards,

Cliff Huss

- chuss01, Omaha, NE, US

Nov 012013

200 Limited 3.2L V6

engine turns off when stopped or slow down

This is really bad problem, how can a car just tuen off by itself? I have a 1999 infinity with 250000 miles and has not a single problem. Chrysler is going to kill someone if they dont do something fast!

- aguilar82082, Soledad, CA, US