ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2015 Chrysler 200 carries the torch of "never buy the 1st year of a new vehicle generation" with pride.

The 2015 model year is the first year of the Chrysler 200's 2nd generation. It has been plagued by problems from the start. Transmission failure at extremely low mileage, many recalls, problems stalling while driving... the list goes on. Maybe Chrysler should have stuck with the 1st generation.

2015 Chrysler 200 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chrysler 200:

2015 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 20)

Apr 242017

200

After sitting for an extended amount of time at times such as at the bank or drive thru's ect when you pull away it starts fine pulling away slow. Then when you try to speed up to go into traffic it will slip into neutral. The only thing that I have found that helps it is to literally shift it into neutral physically then shift it back to drive. It is very dangerous in busy traffic. I took it to the dealership who "couldn't make it do it" and they said when the red engine light comes on to bring it back. I looked it up on the internet and other people have had this same issue with this model car.

- Carlsbad, NM, USA

Aug 042016

200

Transmission has numerous problems. Hard shifting, hesitations, and lunging forward are some examples of the problems with the transmission. My car has been to an authorized Chrysler dealership several times for transmission repairs and they will not fix the problem. I've been told by the dealership that Chrysler is aware of the issue but they won't do anything about it because the transmission was designed that way according to the dealership. There have been several times when coming to a stop that the car will downshift abruptly, causing my car to lunge forward, I've almost hit cars stopped in front of me when this happens. I do have service records from each time my car has been in the shop, which started in August of 2016.

- Princeville, IL, USA

Apr 082017

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle independently switched gears and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. On a previous occasion, the speedometer lighting flashed intermittently and continued to flash after the failure. Also after the failure occurred, the vehicle hesitated to start and failed to shift from the neutral position. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the gear shift failed and needed to replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Oct 062014

200

I get frequent accelerations when coasting and even applying the brakes lightly. Very disturbing. Additionally there is a large lag from throttle press to acceleration which has caused several close calls when changing lanes in city and highway driving. This started in 2014 shortly after I purchased the vehicle and continues to this day.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 122016

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train). The contact heard an abnormal noise when making left turns. The manufacturer was contacted to determine when the contact's vehicle would receive the recall repair. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 042017

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle shifted into neutral unexpectedly. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed with a failure related to NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train). The vehicle was repaired. The contact received the recall notice and felt unsafe driving the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,800.

- New York, NY, USA

Apr 072017

200

Over the course of the past 4 months, my vehicle has completely lost all transmission power 3 times. When this occurs, the information display reads the following messages: "service transmission, " "service parking brake, " "shift to P to select a gear, " "performance shifting unavailable". these messages will continue to display and the car loses all power and will not change gears. The engine does stay on, but will have no throttle response and the car is effectively stuck in neutral. Each of the 3 times this has happened, I have been at full speed, between 45 and 80 mph. The second two times it has happened have been in dangerous and unsafe locations, just yesterday, I lost all power while executing a left hand turn across 3 lanes of busy oncoming traffic. Thank goodness for the small bit of gravity that pulled me across the intersection before a tragic accident happened. Each of the 3 times, I have had the vehicle towed to a certified Chrysler dealership. Each of the Chrysler dealerships have told me that the car "isn't throwing any codes" and does not appear to have a malfunction. They will flash a new tsb, reset the transmission, and send me on my way, only to have it happen again and no one can tell me why. The vehicle is unreliable due to these ongoing powertrain struggles, and more importantly, completely unsafe. It's caused me nearly 2 serious accidents due to total lack of control at high speeds.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jun 152015

200 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While the accelerator pedal was depressed, the transmission failed. When the brake pedal was depressed the vehicle accelerated. As a result the transmission failed to shift gears. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The dealer diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 14,390. Updated 05/16/17

- Racine, WI, USA

Nov 162016

200

While normal operation of the vehicle it shifts hard, stalls after 1st gear into second gear. Has down shifted at highway speeds without driver input. Transmission (9 speed) after several trips to the dealer, the transmission blew while pulling out of the dealership after they said it was repaired. Second transmission and several software updates the transmission downshifted while on a highway at 70mph almost causing a truck traveling behind me to rear end the vehicle since I was in the middle lane with no options to pull to the right. Car is currently at the dealer and during a test drive while on cruise control at 40mph the RPM jumped to over 5K. After the tech shut the cruise off it continued to do the same thing. This transmissions design is scary and immediate action should be taken before someone is seriously injured. Your Agency needs to act now!

- Elgin, IL, USA

Mar 162017

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. On several occasions, while the brake pedal was depressed, the transmission stalled and the engine failed. Upon starting the vehicle, there was an abnormal noise coming from the exhaust manifold. The air bag warning indicator illuminated independently. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Aug 152014

200

This vehicle is prone to stopping when one tries to accelerate into or across traffic. The transmission stalls or slips AT4 to 10 mph. Leave one to feel totally helpless and at the mercy of the transmission. In the winter months it is not worth driving because it can not pull itself through a wet/slippery street. I have taken it in on several occasions with this complaint an have found that Chrysler is aware of the problem which exists in 4 cylinder engines with 9 speed transmissions. "lear to live with it!"

- Bay City, MI, USA

Feb 152016

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While attempting to drive the vehicle, the transmission failed to shift gears and the engine stalled. There were no warning indicators illuminated. Previously, the vehicle warning indicator was re-programmed, but the failure recurred. The dealer diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 17,465.

- Kailua' Kona, HI, USA

Mar 022017

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while attempting to shift into drive, the gear shifter got stuck in neutral. As a result, the emergency brake was activated in order to prevent the vehicle to roll away and cause a crash. The contact mentioned that due to the failure, the vehicle was not drivable. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 012016

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While attempting to drive the vehicle in reverse, the emergency brake activated. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, but they could not identify the failure. The failure recurred both in reverse and driving forward. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 25,888.

- San Diego, CA, USA

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle vibrated and also made clicking sounds while idling. The dealer diagnosed that the failure was possibly related to an internal transmission error. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 39,000.

- Bruster, NY, USA

Jan 162017

200

1- when accelerating after third gear transition goes blank or disengages and when accelerator is released downshifts abruptly. 2- sometimes when shifting from reverse to drive transmition would not engage. The automaker's fca number for this recall is S55

- Guaynabo, PR, USA

200

I currently have an open complaint just filed on 2/24/2017 (complaint number 10956764) this is a continuation of that complaint. My car was being serviced at fred fredrick's Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in laurel, Maryland on 2/24/2017 to fix/repair the issue that has caused my vehicle to come to a complete stop, without warning, while the car is in drive (I was going 58 mph on a highway when the car initially stopped without warning - see first complaint). Fred fredrick's phoned and stated the issue had been resolved and they test drove the vehicle with no additional issues/problems. I picked up my vehicle at 4pm - by 8:45pm (not even 30 miles later) while in a residential neighborhood, the car had experienced the exact same issue that had just been repaired. My 2015 Chrysler 200C, without warning or indicators, will come to a complete stop while in drive and I'm unable to place the car in a different gear shift or move it. For the second time in 24 hours I had to have my car towed to a dealership. My car is currently at darcars Chrysler Jeep Dodge of silver spring, I have been told they won't be able to even look at my car until Tuesday 2/28/2017. Today is 02/25/2017 and I'm out of reliable transportation until at least 02/29/2017. I had to resort to paying for a rental as neither Chrysler, nor darcars would pay for the rental upfront. Chrysler said they "may" reimburse the rental if it is deemed that the work completed on my car was essential. In my opinion, a potentially life threatening issue should be essential - my car comes to a complete stop without notice. I have attached my service records since May 2016 ( purchased the car in April 2016 used) as well as my current rental agreement. I also have a video of the car stalled as well. This is clearly an issue with Chrysler and they want to repair instead of buying my car out so that I can purchase a working vehicle

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

200

While driving on a major highway at about 58mph, in the state of Maryland (I was traveling on icc 200W from laurel to I95) on 2/24/2017 my car - without warning came to a complete stop and shut off. The car sputtered and the check engine light came on. The car presented a message "service transmission" "service park brake" while the "drive" function blinked profusely. I was able to maneuver the car to the shoulder and await a tow to a nearby dealership. The dealership where my car is currently located is stating that a battery wire was loose which caused the car to stop, however my car maintained power the entire three hours I waited for the tow. Also as a precaution, I took pictures of the dash before being towed and both the battery power and oil were fine. I recently had my PCM and tcm reprogrammed due to a faulty dtc code (12/2016) at koons Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in tyson's corner, va. This was supposed to fix the issue however it clearly didn't. if I was traveling during rush hour or on another highway, I could have been hit and/or severely injured as the car stopped without warning. My car is currently being serviced at fred fredrick's Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in laurel, md.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Sep 012016

200

When the 9-speed automatic transmission downshifts from 5th gear to 4th gear, the car experiences a a brief acceleration as engine speed momentarily increases. This period of acceleration occurs at the downshift whether the car is coasting or the brakes are being applied. This presents a hazardous situation as if the brakes are being lightly being applied, the car could lurch forward into a car in front. Or result in a possible loss of control if the street is icy or oddurs during a turn. I have had two transmission software updates which have not addressed the problem.

- Huntley, IL, USA

Dec 282016

200

My car has been "jerking" since I bought & was repeatedly told by cjd arlington in hat it was the 9 speed tranny & the car has to relearn my driving.12/28 my car lost power and went into neutral. It had to be towed in.they called the next day and told me the car didn't store any error messages and was safe to pick up. I refused and asked them to test the car more because there obviously had to be an issue since the car cut off & went into neutral as I was braking at a light.I had the car towed to a different cjd in town & they called the next day stating I needed a new engine and possibly a new tranny. They only replaced the engine & the tcm valve. I got the car back(1/6/17) and the next morning I pulled out on a street and the car jerked so hard. It left my neck in pain for the remainder of the day. I contacted Chrysler customer care to file a complaint. I was told to take the car back to see if they could fix the issue before a resolution is determined. I was told I needed a new tranny this time. The car is still jerking, hesitating/lagging at time, and very scary to drive. I took the car in last week 2/9 with complaints and they gave it right back a few hours later saying they didn't see anything wrong. I showed a video of the car running and sounding like a lawn mover. They said the noise wasn't normal but since it wasn't showing any error messages or making the noise there they couldn't keep it. Ive been trying to reach my case manager(bridgett)with fca & she won't return my phone calls as usual. She offered a trade in assistance program but it had to be another cjd vehicle & 2017 which I can't afford & don't want another vehicle from them. Im tired of driving around in fear that my car will lose power again or cause me to get hit. Im upside down & nobody seems to care about I have 8 service invoices about this issue.the first was 5/25. I purchased the car 3/19

- Jacksonville, FL, USA